Majority of Americans favor wealth tax on very rich: Reuters/Ipsos poll

That's not what I asked. Even with their write-offs, they are still paying 87% of all collected income taxes, while at the same time, nearly half of this country doesn't pay a dime.

It is why I have been for a flat tax rate with NO expenditures for anyone. It is exactly the question you are asking.

Wait a minute. I asked a simple question. You talk about write offs, fine, but that would mean without write-offs, they would be paying even much more of our tax burden. So once again, the question: how much more should they be paying for the rest of us?

Keyrist you are slow. They pay more of the tax burden because they make most of the fucking money. If all things are equal everyone pays the same percentage. Or close to. Why is this difficult for you to understand?

You pay a 35% effective rate? You must be part of the 1% for sure.

Where did I say that? When was the last time the Uber wealthy paid anywhere near an effective rate of 35%?

Why don't you go look at the chart I posted. You have a big surprise coming.

Ta Da!

A flat tax may put skin in the game, but it puts a heavy burden on the poor whom can't afford to pay income taxes. Y'all need to show a modicum of compassion.

Did Obama care about how much the poor pay when he instituted his huge sin tax? Did Obama care if the poor could afford his green energy initiative?

In the county I live in, we have an 8 cents per dollar sales tax which is used for various reasons. The rich pay it, the poor pay it, and everybody in between pays it. I don't like it, but at least it's fair for everybody.

I'm talking about income tax. That is where the flat tax will be assessed. Unless you're proposing a 12% national sales tax.

A flat tax may put skin in the game, but it puts a heavy burden on the poor whom can't afford to pay income taxes. Y'all need to show a modicum of compassion.

Why should everyone NOT contribute toward running this great country?

The amount of tax that would be collected from the poor, at let's say 12%, on income, would be COMPLETELY insignificant to the total collected by the government, but VERY significant to the poor. I'm not for taxing the poor's income beyond sales taxes, SSI, and Medicare (which they do pay).

Why should everyone NOT contribute toward running this great country?

The amount of tax that would be collected from the poor, at let's say 12%, on income, would be COMPLETELY insignificant to the total collected by the government, but VERY significant to the poor. I'm not for taxing the poor's income beyond sales taxes, SSI, and Medicare (which they do pay).

Here is a calc to show the harm it would do to the poor:

Median income of the lowest quintile in the US is $13,258. This amount taxed at 12% would be $1,590 per year. This amounts to about $132 a month. This is what the poor would be paying under a flat tax.

The current system allows a standard deduction of $12,400 in 2020. Subtracting that amount from the income of $13,258 yields $85 at the current 10% tax rate. This is $7 per month. This is what they are currently paying.

The additional burden on the poor would be about $132 - $7 = $125 per month in a flat tax rate system of 12%

Y'all really want to put that additional burden on someone that makes $13,000 per year so the US can collect an additional amount that is less than 1% of what they already collect? Really? Y'all need a heart.

BTW, when you add up all the taxes the poor do currently pay, it amounts to about 25% of that measly $13,258 and you want to add another 10% on top of that.

Last edited:

Did Obama care about how much the poor pay when he instituted his huge sin tax? Did Obama care if the poor could afford his green energy initiative?

In the county I live in, we have an 8 cents per dollar sales tax which is used for various reasons. The rich pay it, the poor pay it, and everybody in between pays it. I don't like it, but at least it's fair for everybody.

I'm talking about income tax. That is where the flat tax will be assessed. Unless you're proposing a 12% national sales tax.

I'm fine with a national sales tax. The point I am making is that the poor here are doing just fine with our sales tax. Nobody is starving.

I'm fine with a national sales tax. The point I am making is that the poor here are doing just fine with our sales tax. Nobody is starving.

The sales tax is the highest burden on the poor along with medicare and SSI and state income taxes. I agree that the poor are doing well for the most part (they along with the rest of the US is in the top 1% of the world in income and wealth) A national sales tax would put more burden on the poor as well, but it wouldn't be as bad as a flat income tax rate. I'm for a flat income tax, but only on those that make more than a certain amount ($20,000/yr? - take your pick of the amount). Any collected on those less than $20k would be meaningless anyway and probably below 0.1% of the total income tax collected).

(I'm very fiscally conservative, BTW.)

Obama's policies and ANY green initiative policies place a HUGE burden on the poor. It's almost like the lib's don't give a fuck about the poor.

Obama's policies and ANY green initiative policies place a HUGE burden on the poor. It's almost like the lib's don't give a fuck about the poor.

They don't. It's a dog and pony show. The problem with our voting system is people with no money are allowed to vote for representatives that will take other people's money and give it to them in some form of social programs. If everybody had to pay for all these social goodies, then they would be less likely to support a Democrat representative, because more social spending might mean an increase in their income taxes as well.

As I said before, if you rob Peter to pay Paul, the Paul's of your society generally have no objections.

They don't. It's a dog and pony show. The problem with our voting system is people with no money are allowed to vote for representatives that will take other people's money and give it to them in some form of social programs. If everybody had to pay for all these social goodies, then they would be less likely to support a Democrat representative, because more social spending might mean an increase in their income taxes as well.

As I said before, if you rob Peter to pay Paul, the Paul's of your society generally have no objections.

I don't disagree. There is a tipping point. We are getting ever closer to it every year.

So, why "funny" for the OP Gator?

The idea that the "experiment called America" would be over by higher tax rate on the upper level.

Seems they were higher once and it did not end America...

top%20marginal%20tax%20rate.png

dishonesty. No one paid those tax rates because of the loopholes at the time.

I don't disagree. There is a tipping point. We are getting ever closer to it every year.

One of the last concerns for most Americans is the national debt, when it should be closer to the top of their concerns. Why don't we care so much? Because it doesn't directly affect us. So when politicians talk about free college, free healthcare including illegals, government paid time off from work, and so forth, the people who don't pay anything in income taxes are all for it.

Given the fact that it's about 47% of Americans who don't pay tax, that's a lot of voters, so the politicians keep spending. So how do we get them to stop? Have everybody pay a consumption tax. You want free college, your consumption tax goes from 7% to 8% Throw in paid time off, up to 9%.

If we had to actually pay for the spending and debt reduction, you'd see how fast voters turn conservative because now it's their money at stake.

From the sale of goods and services.

Which is bought by the consumer. So...they pay income taxes plus they pay the taxes being paid by the corporation. How does that help anyone?

Are you advocating that corporations pay no taxes?

Other than deceiving some of the public who do not understand that the corporations simply increase the cost of their product, what is the upside of high income taxes for a corporation?

A nominal income tax, say no more than 5 or 10% would provide an income stream and not be destructive.

Uhm, that is EXACTLY what I have stated. Flat tax for Everyone with no expenditures either. Do you and Ray go to the same school.?

It is why I have been for a flat tax rate with NO expenditures for anyone. It is exactly the question you are asking.

Wait a minute. I asked a simple question. You talk about write offs, fine, but that would mean without write-offs, they would be paying even much more of our tax burden. So once again, the question: how much more should they be paying for the rest of us?

Keyrist you are slow. They pay more of the tax burden because they make most of the fucking money. If all things are equal everyone pays the same percentage. Or close to. Why is this difficult for you to understand?

You pay a 35% effective rate? You must be part of the 1% for sure.

Where did I say that? When was the last time the Uber wealthy paid anywhere near an effective rate of 35%?

Why don't you go look at the chart I posted. You have a big surprise coming.

Ta Da!

With their expenditures they pay a lower effective tax rate then I.

So, why "funny" for the OP Gator?

The idea that the "experiment called America" would be over by higher tax rate on the upper level.

Seems they were higher once and it did not end America...

top%20marginal%20tax%20rate.png

dishonesty. No one paid those tax rates because of the loopholes at the time.

And nobody is paying today’s rates because of loop holes...what the hell is your point?

the loop holes were far greater in the 20’s than they are today

Which is bought by the consumer. So...they pay income taxes plus they pay the taxes being paid by the corporation. How does that help anyone?

Other than deceiving some of the public who do not understand that the corporations simply increase the cost of their product, what is the upside of high income taxes for a corporation?

A nominal income tax, say no more than 5 or 10% would provide an income stream and not be destructive.

Uhm, that is EXACTLY what I have stated. Flat tax for Everyone with no expenditures either. Do you and Ray go to the same school.?

So with no deductions, where would people work? Where would they live? Because getting rid of deductions would have an impact on those things.

So with no deductions, where would people work? Where would they live? Because getting rid of deductions would have an impact on those things.

Why should people get deductions because of where they live?
Why would deductions impact where someone works.

Why do you need more deductions if your tax rate is lowered to let's go with your rate of 10%. You do know that the wealthy can take advantage of far more deductions than you can because more total deductions are available to them. Did you not want fair and equal.

As far as businesses go I could certainly see allowing for payroll. What's the matter Ray fair and equal only mean you should have more?

Forum List

Back