Man arrested in Fayetteville, North Carolina, mall with assault rifle, ammo

AR-15 - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The AR-15 was first built in 1959 by ArmaLite as a small arms rifle for the United States armed forces. Because of financial problems, ArmaLite sold the design to Colt. After modifications, the redesigned rifle was adopted as the M16 rifle. In 1963, Colt started selling the semi-automatic version of the rifle for civilians as the Colt AR-15. Although the name "AR-15" remains a Colt registered trademark, variants of the firearm are made, modified, and sold under various names by multiple manufacturers.

The military calls it the M16 but the cops would have called it an AR-15 but it is the same weapon.

Odds are the cops misidentified it.

Uh...no.
If anything it might be possible the military used AR-15's for target training. But other than that the AR-15 is strictly a civilian gun. Period. No military in the world would use a AR-15 over an M-16.

The AR-15 was first built in 1959 by ArmaLite as a small arms rifle for the United States armed forces. Because of financial problems, ArmaLite sold the design to Colt. After modifications, the redesigned rifle was adopted as the M16 rifle. In 1963, Colt started selling the semi-automatic version of the rifle for civilians as the Colt AR-15. Although the name "AR-15" remains a Colt registered trademark, variants of the firearm are made, modified, and sold under various names by multiple manufacturers.

The military calls it the M16 but the cops would have called it an AR-15 but it is the same weapon.

Uh...no.
If anything it might be possible the military used AR-15's for target training. But other than that the AR-15 is strictly a civilian gun. Period. No military in the world would use a AR-15 over an M-16.

Latest reporting says that the gun was his personal possession and not military issue. It also confirms that he did have an appointment for photos so his story checks out.

All we are left with is the "crime" of abject stupidity by a gun fetishist.

http://abc11.com/news/man-with-assault-rifle-arrested-at-fayetteville-mall/825699/

Police said Wolfinger apparently came to the mall with the intention of getting his picture taken with the military gear - something police called a "poor decision."

An employee of Picture This! Portrait Studios told ABC11 that Wolfinger arrived at the business for a 5 p.m. appointment to have the pictures taken and was there for about an hour and a half before he was arrested. She said the rifle was not loaded and the ammunition magazines were empty.

She said she checked with the owner of the business before taking any pictures and Wolfinger even removed the bolt from the gun to reassure her.

She said after Thursday's incident, the business will not allow photos with guns.

A Fort Bragg spokesperson said the gun is Wolfinger's person property and not government issue.

Law enforcement across the country is on high alert this holiday weekend for possible terrorism.

Wolfinger was processed at the Cumberland County Detention Center and later released to his company commander and provost marshal at Fort Bragg.​

Okay...so the guy is a world class idiot.
What a stupid-stupid man.
We can only hope that his commanding officer takes serious issue with this stunt.

Hard to fathom the sheer stupidity of doing something like that!

On the positive side no one was injured and the cops were right on the ball.

Best of all no CCW moron was around to put innocent civilian lives in danger when he decided to do his Rambo imitation.

Can't argue with you there...was this idiot living under a rock? What part of "increased terror alert" was unclear to him?
Hell, at a bare minimum a responsible gun owner would have had the weapon cased.

And you are correct...he was lucky he wasn't shot. Fortunately, CCW holders are trained to only act under IMMINENT threat. Since CCW holders are generally gun savvy, seeing the firearm had no magazine in it, and the owner was carrying it in a non threatening manner, there was no imminent threat.

Gun owners in general are not freaked out by the mere presence of a firearm...save that for the hoplophobes.

Hard to fathom the sheer stupidity of doing something like that!

On the positive side no one was injured and the cops were right on the ball.

Best of all no CCW moron was around to put innocent civilian lives in danger when he decided to do his Rambo imitation.

Terrified of our men in uniform huh?
You sound just like Janet....

Do you even bother to read your links?

"The arrested man was a U.S. soldier who'd intended to have photographs taken with the gun and the other equipment, CNN affiliate WNCN reported, citing Fayetteville police."
Another Guno thread fail.

He might be facing charges under the UMCJ if he didn't have permission to be carrying that gun off base.
Didn't bother to read the article did you? It was an AR-15 as in CIVILIAN weapon.

Prove it!

:link:

Did they not call it an AR-15?

"The arrested man was a U.S. soldier who'd intended to have photographs taken with the gun and the other equipment, CNN affiliate WNCN reported, citing Fayetteville police."

He might be facing charges under the UMCJ if he didn't have permission to be carrying that gun off base.
Didn't bother to read the article did you? It was an AR-15 as in CIVILIAN weapon.

Prove it!

RETARD, the link is in the first post. The weapon was an AR-15. The US Government does NOT use them, the US Army uses the M-16a2 or M-4.

Uh...anyone with half a brain can identify the difference with just a glance.

Fortunately, CCW holders are trained to only act under IMMINENT threat.

Which states require this training before issuing a CCW permit?

My understanding is all of them. I was required to take classroom instruction and testing and a shooting proficiency examination, plus an interview with the county sheriff, fingerprinting and a background investigation before being issued my CCW.

Last edited:

Prove it!

RETARD, the link is in the first post. The weapon was an AR-15. The US Government does NOT use them, the US Army uses the M-16a2 or M-4.

Last time I carried a rifle in the military was 1970. Haven't needed one since then but I did get my marksmanship badge while I was there. I prefer handguns but I only need one of those. So no, I don't waste my time on guns. I have better things to do.

Prove it!

Last time I carried a rifle in the military was 1970. Haven't needed one since then but I did get my marksmanship badge while I was there. I prefer handguns but I only need one of those. So no, I don't waste my time on guns. I have better things to do.

Hmmmm...yet you cant tell the difference between a fully automatic rifle and a semi auto?

Off base? Our soldiers are not permitted to carry a weapon on base due to Clinton's law which forbids any soldier to have a weapon on him (or her). This law needs to be repealed! It is the reason our military bases such as Fort Hood have become soft targets, De. I cannot believe our elected leaders would be so naive as to vote for and pass a law that would disarm our own soldiers on military bases across America! Very bad decision.

If it was his assigned weapon, maybe. If it was his personal weapon what charges could he face? North Carolina permits open carry.

Fortunately, CCW holders are trained to only act under IMMINENT threat.

Which states require this training before issuing a CCW permit?

My understanding is all of them. I was required to take instruction and testing and a shooting proficiency examination, plus an interview with the county sheriff, fingerprinting and a background investigation before being issued my CCW.

Apparently not all states have those requirements.

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence Gun Law Information Experts

Only about 30 of them specify that "CCW Applicants to Demonstrate Knowledge of Firearm Use and/or Safety"

States Requiring Applicants to Demonstrate Knowledge of Firearm Use and/or Safety

More than half of the states require a CCW permit applicant to demonstrate that they have received training in firearm use and/or safety. The state of Kansas, for example, requires CCW applicants to complete an eight-hour firearms use/safety course approved by the state attorney general. Among “may issue” states, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Rhode Island require applicants to complete a firearm safety course, or otherwise demonstrate their qualification to use a firearm safely. Delaware’s firearm safety training requirement, which applies to the applicant’s initial CCW license only, is particularly strong, and specifies that the training course must include instruction regarding:

• Knowledge and safe handling of firearms and ammunition;
• Safe storage of firearms and ammunition and child safety;
• Safe firearms shooting fundamentals;
• Federal and state laws pertaining to the lawful purchase, ownership, transportation, use and possession of firearms;
• State laws pertaining to the use of deadly force for self-defense; and
• Techniques for avoiding a criminal attack and how to manage a violent confrontation, including conflict resolution.

Delaware also requires that the training include live fire shooting exercises on a range, including the expenditure of a minimum of 100 rounds of ammunition, and identification of ways to develop and maintain firearm shooting skills. Finally, Rhode Island requires applicants to obtain a certification that they are qualified to use a handgun of a caliber equal to or larger than the one they seek to carry. The certification can be obtained by passing a firing test conducted by a range officer or pistol instructor. Such thorough training requirements help ensure that only highly trained individuals are allowed to carry concealed firearms in public areas.

Among “shall issue” states, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, North Carolina, South Carolina and Texas require live firing as part of the firearm training component of the law.​

If it was his assigned weapon, maybe. If it was his personal weapon what charges could he face? North Carolina permits open carry.

That is true, Hossfly. If that be the case - I certainly hope they make their apology as public as they have their accusation against this soldier.

Prove it!

Hmmmm...yet you cant tell the difference between a fully automatic rifle and a semi auto?

Not from the image that was shown in the article. Could you?

"Wolfinger, who is assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division, was carrying an AR-15 assault rifle, a Kevlar vest and multiple ammunition magazines, and he intended to have photographs taken with the gun and the other equipment, CNN affiliate WNCN reported, citing Fayetteville police."

Guno calls OUR military terrorists. How about THAT democrats?
What's up with that?

The cops found something to charge him with anyway. ;)

I guess it was because he caused a panic by walking through a shopping mall appearing to be fully armed and dangerous.

The average shopper wasn't hanging around to find out.

Forum List

Back