Man Caves~

I find it a little disconcerting that so many of today's fathers get relegated to the least desirable portion of the home, typically the basement, garage or attic. We've gone from 'father knows best' to 'who cares what he thinks, go to the basement!'

Personally, I paid for the house, I get to decide where I live in the home. My "man cave" is the living room, dominated by an extra fine single ended triode-based stereo system and thousands upon thousands of vinyl records.

Yes I do. Of the 4 bedrooms, living room, dining room, mud room, kitchen, and dinette, all but one bedroom is decorated girly (I have a wife and 5 daughters). My one room, one of the bedrooms, is my man cave. My desktop, bookshelves, fish tank, workspace, pictures and posters are all manly stuff.

I find it a little disconcerting that so many of today's fathers get relegated to the least desirable portion of the home, typically the basement, garage or attic. We've gone from 'father knows best' to 'who cares what he thinks, go to the basement!'

Personally, I paid for the house, I get to decide where I live in the home. My "man cave" is the living room, dominated by an extra fine single ended triode-based stereo system and thousands upon thousands of vinyl records.

I understand your point and don't disagree. However, my wife has MUCH better taste in interior decorating than I do. She can have that. Plus, the girls stay out there and trash the place, and I can say "It wasn't my mess."

I'm totally satisfied.

This is a rental house. No man cave.

When we get our own place, I plan on having a large shop. Many tools. Lots of projects. Sound system.

Beats sittin' around on the internet all day. :lol:

Had one, but after the wife's web design business took-off, I was gradually ousted. Now it's home to her server, several aggressive-looking PCs that are prone to growling on occasion and a large sofa. It wasn't much in its former glory, though. Just a dumping ground for all the frivolous tat I've bought over the years.

She came, she saw and conquered me with false eyelashes.

mr. boe has a man cave...his home office full of computers and a tv. He can keep it as messy as he wants. And he can watch sports to his heart's content without me having to listen to it.

:)

My husband has a suite of two small bedrooms. In one he has a bed and a television. That is also the "peace from dogs room," no dogs allowed, only cats in that room. The other room is his office and contains a desk, a credenza and his computers. He also has his own bathroom.

Generally, I do not clean any of his space so it is usually a mess. But if company is coming I will give his bathroom a good cleaning so I'm not embarrassed. : )

Last edited:
Our detached two car garage is my man cave. That's where I build all my R/C Model Airplanes. At last count I had 32 of them in various stages of construction. I'll post some pics later but I have to clean it up a little first!

Ok, guys. What about it? Do you have your own man cave?

I do. My wife hates it because its just a room. No pictures, no nothing. I like to just sit in the quiet, smoke some pot and read a book or nap.

I don't recall which forum it was, but I recall a post once from a guy who had his man cave with the walls all painted white. He said his wife likes bold colors, but bold colors get on his nerves. So he has his 'white' room where he can retreat. LOL.

My husband didn't have a 'man cave' either, although I don't think the term had been coined before he died. He, too, just lived all over the house like we all did. It was his house too. He did have a workshop in the garage, but, seriously, that wouldn't have worked in the living room. Saturday was my day to sleep in, and his 'tinkering around' in the garage always annoyed me because it woke me up. But after he died, that was one of the things I missed the most.

I have a one room that is decorated with with my son's drawings and cards he makes for me. The rest of the place is my music room numerous guitars, keyboards and his drum set. Then my study. Downstairs my workout stuff etc. Kitchen my man tools to create my culinary delights.

Forum List

Back