Manufactured Homes have come a long way

Yep, true. Hard to avoid when they're all made in a factory and shipped to the site. Still, today's MF home is lightyears better than the old ones.

They've definitely come a long way from the old days.
The Wife and I plan on building a Barndominium ,you can make em look nice from the outside and you have everything under one roof.
1663131805732.png

1663131847063.png

Ever since 1976 manufactured homes are all built to HUD standards because, prior to that, they were death traps
yet HUD bows to the NFPA, which is an entire library Leo

and the NFPA was infiltrated by manufactures long before '76

for ex, nfpa 70 is the NEC , article 550 is about manufactured homes
>>>
550.1 Scope. The provisions of this article cover the electrical conductors and equipment installed within or on mobile and manufactured homes, the conductors that connect mobile and manufactured homes to a supply of electricity, and the installation of electrical wiring, luminaires, equipment, and appurtenances related to electrical installations within a mobile home park up to the mobile home service-entrance conductors or, if none, the mobile home service equipment.
Informational Note: For additional information on manufactured housing see NFPA 501-2013, Standard on Manufactured Housing, and Part 3280, Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards, of the Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The article explains all that can be legally 'cheesed out' , substandard parts and install methods that would never and a day be allowed in a stick built home.

And this portrays only ONE trade......

In the broader overview, they have more issues than stick builts, along with a lesser life span

Anecdotally , the MH factory up the street from yours truly is raft with 3 toed sloths barely qualified to wipe their a** slamming them together as fast as they can stuff 'em out onto the road

one gets what one pays for.....

~S~

yet HUD bows to the NFPA, which is an entire library Leo

and the NFPA was infiltrated by manufactures long before '76

for ex, nfpa 70 is the NEC , article 550 is about manufactured homes
>>>
550.1 Scope. The provisions of this article cover the electrical conductors and equipment installed within or on mobile and manufactured homes, the conductors that connect mobile and manufactured homes to a supply of electricity, and the installation of electrical wiring, luminaires, equipment, and appurtenances related to electrical installations within a mobile home park up to the mobile home service-entrance conductors or, if none, the mobile home service equipment.
Informational Note: For additional information on manufactured housing see NFPA 501-2013, Standard on Manufactured Housing, and Part 3280, Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards, of the Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The article explains all that can be legally 'cheesed out' , substandard parts and install methods that would never and a day be allowed in a stick built home.

And this portrays only ONE trade......

In the broader overview, they have more issues than stick builts, along with a lesser life span

Anecdotally , the MH factory up the street from yours truly is raft with 3 toed sloths barely qualified to wipe their a** slamming them together as fast as they can stuff 'em out onto the road

one gets what one pays for.....

~S~

You mean, like the substandard concrete (if you can even call it concrete), the dollar store discount wood, cheap illegal labor, and substandard work that goes into these dinky homes selling for a million bucks and more? I think a home builder I talked to once calls them "McMansions".
They cost the homebuyer $700,000 to a million or more, but in reality.....or should I say "realty".........they only cost around $50,000 to build.

1663286882193.png
1663286960361.png
1663287049717.png

You mean, like the substandard concrete (if you can even call it concrete), the dollar store discount wood, cheap illegal labor, and substandard work that goes into these dinky homes selling for a million bucks and more? I think a home builder I talked to once calls them "McMansions".
They cost the homebuyer $700,000 to a million or more, but in reality.....or should I say "realty".........they only cost around $50,000 to build.

View attachment 696734View attachment 696735View attachment 696736

Post some links to go with those pics.
I highly doubt those can be built for 50k even with builder grade products.
As far as concrete goes it has to pass inspection which it wont if it's crap.
Bricks on the other hand have a huge gap between shit grades like mexican brick vs. ACME brick.

I've had people tell me my house is a McMansion yet it was custom built and there's not another like it.
A lot of homes these days use cement board for siding which I'm all for. It lasts way longer than any fiber board or plywood.
It really relies on who the builder is.
Sure there are some shit builders out there and it's up to the consumer to know who sucks and who doesnt.
As they say buyer beware.
It really doesnt take a brain surgeon to spot shitty construction,just compare square footage to cost in the area you're looking in.
And of course educate yourself on how to spot shitty construction methods.
9E7FD719-D317-4F47-8DED-46DC2CF2789A.jpeg

9F5E6701-034C-456D-9AC1-8BCAB308444B.jpeg

Custom made vs cookie cutter/assembly made........can have it's differences.

For one, if you have having a home custom made, you can show up any time to see EXACTLY what they are doing and what they are using.
For these "McMansion" homes, or just standard built homes, it's different.

I've seen many "expensive, custom" homes built with shittastic materials and cheap labor. A couple of years later, these homes have a myriad of problems because of the craptastic job the builder did. You've got to keep an eye on these people!

I've also seem some cookie cutter homes built to "over the standards" of multiple home built areas that last a decade or two without any problems.

Nobodys perfect, but the point is, you don't always get what you pay for. You HAVE to know what you are looking at before you buy it.
And if you are custom building, then you have to keep an eye on what the contractors and builders are doing and using. Otherwise they can rip you off big time. Most of the time, they purposely order too much, use what they need, take the rest for themselves, and charge you for the whole thing.

I had an Uncle that was an architect/home builder/house flipper. I learned some from him. I learned some from architecture magazines and books. I even took architecture in high school. Aside from talking to real estate agents and home builders over the years.

Post some links to go with those pics.
I highly doubt those can be built for 50k even with builder grade products.
As far as concrete goes it has to pass inspection which it wont if it's crap.
Bricks on the other hand have a huge gap between shit grades like mexican brick vs. ACME brick.

I've had people tell me my house is a McMansion yet it was custom built and there's not another like it.
A lot of homes these days use cement board for siding which I'm all for. It lasts way longer than any fiber board or plywood.
It really relies on who the builder is.
Sure there are some shit builders out there and it's up to the consumer to know who sucks and who doesnt.
As they say buyer beware.
It really doesnt take a brain surgeon to spot shitty construction,just compare square footage to cost in the area you're looking in.
And of course educate yourself on how to spot shitty construction methods.
View attachment 696744
View attachment 696746
Very nice.
So you live near a golf course, since you have a golf cart garage? Or do you use that for lawn equipment or jet ski's?

Architect on acid/wet dream
Roofer with hard wingee
Homeowner commited suicide 3 years later ?

My Mom lives in a retirement community (which, sad to say, I also qualify to live in due to my age) which is all manufactured homes.
The ones which were built in the early phases of the community look, well, cheap. The section where Mom lives, though, looks as though they came out of the "custom home" division of the manufacturer. It's actually a triple wide.

They're actually pretty nice for the money...
Musk has his finger in the prefab home pie as well. It’s probably the way of the future TBH.

Musk has his finger in the prefab home pie as well. It’s probably the way of the future TBH.

Since prefabs have gotten so much nicer and sturdier, and you can get them "customized".........AND they cost HALF of what a small site built home costs........they will be popular for a long time.

Very nice.
So you live near a golf course, since you have a golf cart garage? Or do you use that for lawn equipment or jet ski's?

I'm on the sixth fairway.
The garage was for a motorhome,it's over forty foot deep. I keep my SxS on the trailer and my Truck there now.
Used to keep the boat there before the SxS.
It has 220 which was for the motorhome I use it to power my welder these days. Also has sewer and water. If I wanted to park the camper in there it would be totally self contained. Of course I couldnt use the pop out so it's in storage.
6184139E-B974-4BEF-891E-11976F3917F1_1_201_a.jpeg

1A44F883-EF22-4815-89D3-C210C13C6D5A.jpeg

DD3FC496-738F-445D-BC95-0A91C55C5E50.jpeg

BF6B4314-D13A-4E5B-BB2E-13BD5E5987DE.jpeg

1663327548021.png

~S~

Forum List

Back