Many Muslims can recite the Qur'an by age 12

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Always found that an admirable ability. But then there's only about 77k words in the Qur'an, and 774k in the Bible (Old and New Testament.) So our inability to do similarly isn't anything to be embarassed over. :)

For some comparison:

number of words in the Gettysburg address: 272
... US Constitution: 7652
... English language: about a million
... Arabic: about 250k

Always found that an admirable ability. But then there's only about 77k words in the Qur'an, and 774k in the Bible (Old and New Testament.) So our inability to do similarly isn't anything to be embarassed over. :)

For some comparison:

The Quran isn't that thick, thick.

While I can't recite the Bible word for word, I can recite pretty well most of it when I need to. When I was a child I was told that the time would come when no one could own a Bible and we should memorize as much as we could. So, I spent much of my life doing that as much as I could. Now, I can pull up most anything that is pertinent to whatever conversation is going on. Jesus said the Holy Spirit would help us to remember the scriptures.

John 14:26 (ASV) | In Context | Whole Chapter

26 But the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you.

The only book I should have studied more is Proverbs and there is still time.

For some comparison:

Can you say maktab? I knew you could........

For some comparison:

The Quran isn't that thick, thick.

While I can't recite the Bible word for word, I can recite pretty well most of it when I need to. When I was a child I was told that the time would come when no one could own a Bible and we should memorize as much as we could. So, I spent much of my life doing that as much as I could. Now, I can pull up most anything that is pertinent to whatever conversation is going on. Jesus said the Holy Spirit would help us to remember the scriptures.

John 14:26 (ASV) | In Context | Whole Chapter

26 But the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you.

The only book I should have studied more is Proverbs and there is still time.

77,934 words in Qur'an according to here:
Holy Quran - Basic Information

For some comparison:

Ya, knew there was a word for it, but I'd only heard it once or twice. :)

Be nice if we at least encouraged schoolaged kids to be able to recite the Constitution. :)

I find your assertion that 'many muslims' can recite the Quran by age 12 to be specious. In order to memorize the Quran one would need to know how to read. Many Islamic countries do not allow female children to learn to read, so that would mean that only men have this ability and that would be only if they could read or if someone who could read fed it to them on a regular basis.

According to historian Donald Quataert, general Muslim literacy rates were only 2 to 3 percent in the early nineteenth century, and perhaps 15 percent at its end. The vast majority of Muslim women remained illiterate well into the twentieth century. Prior to 1840, an average of only eleven books a year were published in the imperial capital of Istanbul.[2]

Muslim Statistics (Education and Employment) - WikiIslam

Somehow I don't envision the lonely goatherd sitting out on the hills memorizing the Quran.

As to memorizing the Constitution, I find your assertion to be complete bullshit. One segment of American society, after being here for 200 years, has refused to learn to speak correctly the English language. I don't see anyone being able to require them to memorize the Constitution.

For some comparison:

Ya, knew there was a word for it, but I'd only heard it once or twice. :)
Ya but think of how much bitching you'd be doing if we had mandatory Christian versions of maktabs for everyone....... :cool:

Be nice if we at least encouraged schoolaged kids to be able to recite the Constitution. :)

I find your assertion that 'many muslims' can recite the Quran by age 12 to be specious. In order to memorize the Quran one would need to know how to read. Many Islamic countries do not allow female children to learn to read, so that would mean that only men have this ability and that would be only if they could read or if someone who could read fed it to them on a regular basis.

According to historian Donald Quataert, general Muslim literacy rates were only 2 to 3 percent in the early nineteenth century, and perhaps 15 percent at its end. The vast majority of Muslim women remained illiterate well into the twentieth century. Prior to 1840, an average of only eleven books a year were published in the imperial capital of Istanbul.[2]

Somehow I don't envision the lonely goatherd sitting out on the hills memorizing the Quran.

As to memorizing the Constitution, I find your assertion to be complete bullshit. One segment of American society, after being here for 200 years, has refused to learn to speak correctly the English language. I don't see anyone being able to require them to memorize the Constitution.

As to your first part, about girls not getting the same education, fair point. As to the rest, you seem like a very angry person with an axe to grind so will refrain from fanning your flames any further.

Millions of muslims have memorized the the entire Quran.......they are called a "Hafiz".

The Quran is about the same size as the New Testament.

One of the requirements to be the Imam of a mosque is to be a Hafiz.

During the month of Ramadan the Quran is divided into 30 parts called "Juz".

Muslims go every evening for the 30 days and stand in rows as the Imam recites the Quran from memory.

It takes about 2 hrs to recite each of the 30 Juz portions.

Mind you this takes place after the all day fast has been broken and the Ramadan meal eaten. .. :cool:

As to your first part, about girls not getting the same education, fair point. As to the rest, you seem like a very angry person with an axe to grind so will refrain from fanning your flames any further.

Translation: "I'm no match for an American woman who is educated and well traveled."

"One of the requirements to be the Imam of a mosque is to be a Hafiz."

Didn't know this. Interesting.
I need to qualify my statement.

Any muslim can lead the daily prayer at the mosque if an Imam isn't available.

And small mosques many times have the most knowledgeable member assume the role of Imam.

But once a mosque has the funds to hire a full time on staff Imam.

The mosque board members/selection committee will only interview candidates that have the academic background from an Islamic university and are a hafiz. ... :cool:

"One of the requirements to be the Imam of a mosque is to be a Hafiz."

Didn't know this. Interesting.
I need to qualify my statement.

Any muslim can lead the daily prayer at the mosque if an Imam isn't available.

And small mosques many times have the most knowledgeable member assume the role of Imam.

But once a mosque has the funds to hire a full time on staff Imam.

The mosque board members/selection committee will only interview candidates that have the academic background from an Islamic university and are a hafiz. ... :cool:

How is this person tested to see if he really can recite the entire Quran?

Never proposed making it mandatory or anything along those lines. Believe I said "it'd be nice if we encouraged" and that was for the Constitution, not the Bible.

Never proposed making it mandatory or anything along those lines. Believe I said "it'd be nice if we encouraged" and that was for the Constitution, not the Bible.

Missed the point, didn'tcha...... I never said you proposed making it mandatory, you inferred.
Personally I encourage people to explore and learn as much as possible which includes studying the Bible, the Constitution, the Koran, the Hindi Bible, all the arts and sciences, ancient cultures. You know, expanding one's view of the world and humanity....... :cool:

How is this person tested to see if he really can recite the entire Quran?
They actually have a Hafiz testing certification boards.

Where anyone can be tested by being asked to recite random verses.

Also, throughout the Islamic world there are Quran reciting contests.

People get on stage and recite verses in front a large audience and a table of judges.

Top Quran reciters are famous and household names because of how perfectly and beautifully they recite the Quran. ... :cool:

Forum List

Back