🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Many paths...one God?

Somehow I can't see Jesus saying either one of these things
And yet He did.

Must be nice to just deny whatever is inconvenient to what you WANT to believe. That's fine until you have to leave this world. Seems your father died a better man than you in this life. He recognized who is Lord.

Somehow I can't see Jesus saying either one of these things. I think each time the scriptures were rewritten they were embellished a little more and more so there's no choice but to interpreted Jesus as God. That way the church could rule absolutely. It was just another scam.

What you’re saying about Jesus goes against the actual history. If Jesus was the way you think he was, they wouldn’t have killed him. Why would they if he was no threat? Jesus is who he said he is, He is the Messiah, and he’s the only person in history who fulfilled hundreds of Messianic prophecies, written close to 1000 years before he was even born.

If you distrust the Bible, please read the book The Case for Christ, by Lee Strobel. It addresses all the common objections people have to the Bible, it’s an excellent book.

And yet He did.

Must be nice to just deny whatever is inconvenient to what you WANT to believe. That's fine until you have to leave this world. Seems your father died a better man than you in this life. He recognized who is Lord.
No religious dogma says that he said these things, that's all we know for sure. It wouldn't be the first time religious icons were plagiarized.

Religion fascinates me, in part because there are so many common threads in all the faiths. Perhaps we are like the tale of the blind man and tbe elephant, each of us only able to discern a small portion of what is God. For some, we need an intermediary... like a prophet to show us a path. For others, it is a self-paced journey.

For commonalities...we all know the Golden Rule, and all religions seem to have some version of this. It makes sense, if we followed it, we would be a better society.

But another commonality exists that is interesting: the acquisition of forbidden knowledge.

In some, this is represented by the acquisition of fire (which in actuality was a major turning point in human development. The Greek Promethius defied Zeus and stole fire to give to man. Across the world, a continent away, Coyote, Rabbit and Crow stoke the fire.

For the Abrahamic faiths, it was Eve and the Apple...which you have to admit kind of sucks, forever blaming Woman for Man’s inability to control himself.

In all cases though...there is a punishment for loss of innocence and it usually involves a seperation from the divine even as it separates humanity from his fellow animals.

Food for thought.
Actually, it was not an apple. It was fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. The Bible does not blame Women for humanity's fallen nature.

One God, No Path.

I believe in a single Deity, a Universal Power without human traits or emotions.

I don’t believe there IS a path. No easy road to getting it right. Instead there is a starting point and an end point. Your job is to get between the two while maintaining the Proper Way of Life.
God doesn't have human emotions. Man has God's emotions. God is the origin, not man.

Truth is not relative. The notion that diametrically opposed or mutually exclusive ideas about God are all true at the same time is absurd.
In the end it doesn't matter what you believe, you will be happy with what does exist when you're finally eased into that reality. No worries.

Except scriptures have not been rewritten and rewritten.
The printing press wasn't developed until the 1400s, remember Gutenberg ? Before that time the Bible was printed by hand over and over, by religious zealots. You honestly believe that they wouldn't embellish what was written to make it more convincing to the followers. The followers who weren't allowed to read the Bible themselves, the followers who couldn't question anything about the faith, the followers who could be persecuted by The Church without end if they were anyway different or varied in any way from the church teachings.

Truth is not relative. The notion that diametrically opposed or mutually exclusive ideas about God are all true at the same time is absurd.
Why?

Isn’t rather arrogant to assume any one of us knows the entire truth about God?

The Blind Men and Elephant - John Godfrey Saxon

IT was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.

II.
The First approached the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl:
"God bless me!—but the Elephant
Is very like a wall!"

III.
The Second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried: "Ho!—what have we here
So very round and smooth and sharp?
To me 't is mighty clear
This wonder of an Elephant
Is very like a spear!"

IV.
The Third approached the animal,
And happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up and spake:

"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant
Is very like a snake!"

V.
The Fourth reached out his eager hand,
And felt about the knee.
"What most this wondrous beast is like
Is mighty plain," quoth he;
"'T is clear enough the Elephant
Is very like a tree!"

VI.
The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said: "E'en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an Elephant
Is very like a fan!"

VII.
The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Than, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope,
Is very like a rope!"

VIII.
And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

MORAL.
So, oft in theologic wars
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean,
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen!

Actually, it was not an apple. It was fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. The Bible does not blame Women for humanity's fallen nature.
She was certainly given the worse punishment:

Genesis 3.16
To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.”

She was certainly given the worse punishment:

Genesis 3.16
To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.”
And, merely SURVIVING would become a CHORE. To even EAT means tou have to SWEAT. Of course liberals try to "fix" that and wonder why they continually fall flat on their collective faces

Why?

Isn’t rather arrogant to assume any one of us knows the entire truth about God?

The Blind Men and Elephant - John Godfrey Saxon

IT was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.

II.
The First approached the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl:
"God bless me!—but the Elephant
Is very like a wall!"

III.
The Second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried: "Ho!—what have we here
So very round and smooth and sharp?
To me 't is mighty clear
This wonder of an Elephant
Is very like a spear!"

IV.
The Third approached the animal,
And happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up and spake:

Is very like a snake!"

V.
The Fourth reached out his eager hand,
And felt about the knee.
"What most this wondrous beast is like
Is mighty plain," quoth he;
"'T is clear enough the Elephant
Is very like a tree!"

VI.
The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said: "E'en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an Elephant
Is very like a fan!"

VII.
The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Than, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope,
Is very like a rope!"

VIII.
And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

MORAL.
So, oft in theologic wars
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean,
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen!
We have choices in this life. We can endlessly argue about the next. Or we can cherish what we have here and now.

And, merely SURVIVING would become a CHORE. To even EAT means tou have to SWEAT. Of course liberals try to "fix" that and wonder why they continually fall flat on their collective faces
You really have a thing about liberals. Liberals created most of the modern inventions. We'd be living in the stone ages if only conservatives existed. And I'd hate to live in the world where the far right ruled that would be monstrous.

Forum List

Back