Marriage licenses

I don't see why marriage laws can't be rewritten to only include marriages between a man and a woman. Why have a marriage license?

If I'm not mistaken, the idea of a "marriage license" was adopted by Rome way back when as a way to collect taxes from the people. Your idea puts the "government" farther into the lives of it's citizens. Please explain why the hell you would wish to do that? Hasn't Barry peeked into your bedroom enough?

The first federal law concerning the issuance of marriage licenses was passed in 1923.

That may very well have been (in the US) however, the idea of a license to marry (I believe) originated in Bilblical Rome.

This is how I feel about Marriage Licenses.

If the Government can't or wont create and / or use a set of standards as to who and why they issue marriages licenses to...
Refuses to have terms for the issuance of a Marriage License...
And for some reason, can't or won't enforce any laws regarding the terms of marriage license...
Then there is no sense in having one.

This is how I would do it.

1.A marriage license is issued only to those that can prove that they have had a relationship for not less than (3) consecutive years, with both residing at the same exact household address, and have not had a single domestic violence complaint in that three year time period.

2. The parties are not blood :

Brothers
Uncles
Nephews
Cousins
Sisters
Aunts
Nieces
Sons
Grandsons / Great Grandsons
Daughters
Grand Daughters / Great Grand Daughters

3. A Marriage license is a license issued to a group of not more than (2) people.

4. In order to cancel your marriage license :

*There must be at least one arrest made by the police for Domestic violence within a 5 year period.
(and/or)
*There must be at least one recommendation of Divorce made on paper by a marriage counselor within a 5 year period.

(and/or)

*The behavior of a party must be reasonably unacceptable as defined below :

Domestic Violence (and/or) any other form of abuse which has been reported to the police within a (5) year period.
(and/or)
Drinking one sip or more of any alcoholic beverage, consistently for (180) or more CONSECUTIVE days in the presence of the spouse.
(and/or)
Drinking a total of 2,800 mL (5 U.S. pints) of Alcoholic beverages within the timespan of (7) days or less within the presence of the spouse. (and/or) coming home from anywhere intoxicated. or becoming intoxicated (1) time in the presence of the spouse within any (180) day period.
(and/or)
Being in the possession of, using, selling, growing and/or manufacturing drugs.
(and/or)
Being arrested just 1 time within any 15 year period.
(and/or)
Cheating on your Spouse.
(and/or)
Being unemployed for more than (18) months, while not being declared Disabled (and/or) not receiving services from the Department of Human Services.

5. Cheating on your spouse is punishable by up to (72) hours in Jail, and a $500 fine, and mandatory marriage counseling.

If the government can't or wont even do that much...... perhaps they shouldn't be issuing marriage licenses.
Its a waste of tax money for the legal system of marriage.

every state has standards for marriage licenses. i'm not sure what you're talking about

If I'm not mistaken, the idea of a "marriage license" was adopted by Rome way back when as a way to collect taxes from the people. Your idea puts the "government" farther into the lives of it's citizens. Please explain why the hell you would wish to do that? Hasn't Barry peeked into your bedroom enough?

When you come to the government for something, you accept it.
Don't want the law in your life ? don't go to the government.
Exactly. No one makes someone get a civil marriage.

you can't be legally married in a religious service without a marriage license.

"the power vested in me by the state of......"

This is how I feel about Marriage Licenses.

If the Government can't or wont create and / or use a set of standards as to who and why they issue marriages licenses to...
Refuses to have terms for the issuance of a Marriage License...
And for some reason, can't or won't enforce any laws regarding the terms of marriage license...
Then there is no sense in having one.

This is how I would do it.

1.A marriage license is issued only to those that can prove that they have had a relationship for not less than (3) consecutive years, with both residing at the same exact household address, and have not had a single domestic violence complaint in that three year time period.

2. The parties are not blood :

Brothers
Uncles
Nephews
Cousins
Sisters
Aunts
Nieces
Sons
Grandsons / Great Grandsons
Daughters
Grand Daughters / Great Grand Daughters

3. A Marriage license is a license issued to a group of not more than (2) people.

4. In order to cancel your marriage license :

*There must be at least one arrest made by the police for Domestic violence within a 5 year period.
(and/or)
*There must be at least one recommendation of Divorce made on paper by a marriage counselor within a 5 year period.

(and/or)

*The behavior of a party must be reasonably unacceptable as defined below :

Domestic Violence (and/or) any other form of abuse which has been reported to the police within a (5) year period.
(and/or)
Drinking one sip or more of any alcoholic beverage, consistently for (180) or more CONSECUTIVE days in the presence of the spouse.
(and/or)
Drinking a total of 2,800 mL (5 U.S. pints) of Alcoholic beverages within the timespan of (7) days or less within the presence of the spouse. (and/or) coming home from anywhere intoxicated. or becoming intoxicated (1) time in the presence of the spouse within any (180) day period.
(and/or)
Being in the possession of, using, selling, growing and/or manufacturing drugs.
(and/or)
Being arrested just 1 time within any 15 year period.
(and/or)
Cheating on your Spouse.
(and/or)
Being unemployed for more than (18) months, while not being declared Disabled (and/or) not receiving services from the Department of Human Services.

5. Cheating on your spouse is punishable by up to (72) hours in Jail, and a $500 fine, and mandatory marriage counseling.

If the government can't or wont even do that much...... perhaps they shouldn't be issuing marriage licenses.
Its a waste of tax money for the legal system of marriage.

Or we can ignore all of your demands and save a lot of tax money.

The first federal law concerning the issuance of marriage licenses was passed in 1923.

That may very well have been (in the US) however, the idea of a license to marry (I believe) originated in Bilblical Rome.

Did you know the origin of a license is official permission to break the law?

Forum List

Back