Mass Shooting At A Fort Myers Nightclub

Mass Shooting In Florida Nightclub - Report

Oh wait, it's in Florida which already has loads of guns.....

After spending days telling the Germans they are wrong for having strict gun control...... the right will probably give their reasons why there should be MORE guns.... right?
Blacks shoot up a nightclub every Friday.....and have been doing this for 50 years. This is not news.

Maybe not. I'm not making news, I'm making discussion based on what's been happening in Germany and the response to this on this board compared to the response when something happens in the US.

Black person kills a dozen people - whatever
Muslim kills a dozen people -ban muslims, bomb them, destroy them.

I just don't see any consistency.
Muslims seem to get more press, so of course. Blacks do this all the time, but out of sight, out of mind. However, they're shooting game cops now, not just each other, so maybe they'll get the press they deserve.

But then people don't see all of this from one perspective. They pick and choose to suit their needs and desires. It happens so much on a forum like this, trying to get people to actually use the same logic for two different things is almost impossible.
This all entirely due to media focus. It controls the debate. I often bring up issues the media ignores and hear nothing but crickets. Most people don't care to comment unless it's all over the news.

But then again the UK has shown that it has a murder rate 1/4 that of the US!
I don't see that comment as being relevant to the issue.

In the UK you can still be murdered.

And so in the UK you must still defend yourself.

Since guns are essentially prohibited in the UK then you must defend yourself with another weapon.

And even then there is still a possibility that the criminal who assaults has a gun and brought it into the UK from France or Belgium.

Yes, you can still be murdered in the UK. You can be murdered anywhere with any weapon, hands, feet, TV, guns.
Murder will always happen.

You can be murdered with a gun in your hand, with a gun in your holster, if you are an armed police officer, etc etc.

However in the UK you are 4 times less likely to be murdered. You are safer.

You may not be able to defend yourself as effectively without a gun in a comparable situation, however the fact is many situations aren't comparable. In the US you're going to come up against people wielding guns.

Alaska has the highest rape rate in the US, 5 times higher than in NY. But they have laxer guns laws, more guns, etc etc.

How is this the case if guns make you safer?

Climb a mountain and fall off a cliff, the mountain murdered you with that sneaky cliff.

As has been stated many times on here, and ignored many times, guns exacerbate a situation, rather than make the situation. I don't need to explain this simple concept to you, do I?

You are wrong...what exacerbates a situation is the history of violence of the criminal which shows they are not normal........90% of shooters have long histories of violent behavior and criminal activity going back to their early teen years.......they are not normal people who snap....

How do you propose to keep guns out of the hands of criminals? You understand that was the rationale for the 1968 Gun Control Act, right? And that it is obviously a tremendous failure. So what measure do you think will keep criminals from breaking the law?
I am on your side first of all and do not want to ban guns that are legal now. What I would like to see is private sales in parking lots banned throughout the US. I would like all sales to be through a state licensed gun shop with a background check. Any fees should be minimal and waived if a transfer between family members.
How will that stop criminals getting guns? Please be specific.
It will not. There is no govt restriction that will completely, and that is a good reason why we all should be able to bear arms. That said I don't think having to sell your gun through a licensed shop is too much of a burden to gun owners, and would likely stop some of them getting into the wrong hands. It makes it easy to trace guns to illegal transfers.

I'll be happy to go through that hassle, just as soon as you can guarantee criminals will do it too.
Alright then we disagree. I hope that you respect my opinion and realize that I agree Hillary's plan to make gun manufacturers liable for shootings is outrageous and the way they are trying to control guns. This plan to allow lawsuits against manufacturers is the biggest threat against legal gun owners as I see it. I voted for Sanders who is absolutely against suing manufactures and has never pushed gun control in his state.

Sanders would have signed gun control in a heart beat........

I don't see that comment as being relevant to the issue.

In the UK you can still be murdered.

And so in the UK you must still defend yourself.

Since guns are essentially prohibited in the UK then you must defend yourself with another weapon.

And even then there is still a possibility that the criminal who assaults has a gun and brought it into the UK from France or Belgium.

Yes, you can still be murdered in the UK. You can be murdered anywhere with any weapon, hands, feet, TV, guns.
Murder will always happen.

You can be murdered with a gun in your hand, with a gun in your holster, if you are an armed police officer, etc etc.

However in the UK you are 4 times less likely to be murdered. You are safer.

You may not be able to defend yourself as effectively without a gun in a comparable situation, however the fact is many situations aren't comparable. In the US you're going to come up against people wielding guns.

Alaska has the highest rape rate in the US, 5 times higher than in NY. But they have laxer guns laws, more guns, etc etc.

How is this the case if guns make you safer?

Climb a mountain and fall off a cliff, the mountain murdered you with that sneaky cliff.

As has been stated many times on here, and ignored many times, guns exacerbate a situation, rather than make the situation. I don't need to explain this simple concept to you, do I?

Squirrel gravy over hot biscuits is a mouth watering breakfast. I humbly disagree with you, guns lessen a situation and the bigger the gun the better to prevent a fight.

So how do you account for the US murder rate being 4 times higher than other first world countries then?

You have a guy who can get a gun and wants to kill people, and a guy who can't get a gun and wants to kill people, who's going to kill the most?

Even if people have guns to fight back, you're always going to get in there first and cause the damage before anyone can react. Knives allow for longer reaction times.

But I do notice you didn't use anything to back up your statement.

Slavery...and the exploitation of single teenage motherhood for political power.......single teenage motherhood for generations creates killers.......

The UK has already shown that if you don't have guns in your society then crime will not change, the crime will simply become knife crime, like it is there.

As for trying to be safe in a knife crime environment, you still need to do all the things you need to do in a gun crime environment -- be aware, don't go out at nite alone, stay in a group, etc.

You then must also carry your own knife, preferably a bigger knife than usual, and you must know how to fight with it.

By the way the best way to learn how to fight with knives is to take sword fencing classes. That way you learn all the parries, thrusts, and cuts.

The UK has always has a lower murder rate

In fact the murder rte in the UK has increased from what it was in 1950
And the murder rate in the US is virtually the same as it was in 1950

Homicide Rate (per 100,000), 1950–2014
List of countries by intentional homicide rate by decade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SO over 6 decades the murder rate in our country has risen and declined to the same rate
In UK the country gun control nuts like to use as an example in the same 60 year period the murder rte has risen and declined but now remains higher than it was 60 years ago

And that is after the UK passed the 1968 gun control laws

SO there seems to be other forces at work and not just gun ownership

But if I say there are cultural and demographic differences between the US and the UK I will undoubtedly be called a racist

So the UK murder rate has always been lower, therefore it's destined to always be lower? That's a weak argument. That's like saying it's higher so let's not bother to fix the problems.

This is all that seems to happen on here, and in American politics in general. Excuses for why nothing should ever change.

Yes, there are other forces at work other than guns. Of course there are. These also need to be looked at. However in general they're not either.

Yes the consistently lower murder rates are relevant.

And Our murder rate is exactly the same as it was 60 years ago

And I never mentioned any future trends but if you want to put money on it I'll bet you that the murder rate in the UK will be lower than in the US 60 years from now.

ANd just what exactly do you want to change? Do you want to limit gun ownership? We already do that. Do you want to ban certain guns? We already do that

So just what exactly is it you think we should do tp curb gun crime and not curb the rights of law abiding citizens?

It might be the same as it was 60 years ago, but what? Guns were there before, guns are there now. Nothing has changed, and the whole time other first world countries have had lower crime, even if they've had an increase (which the US had also).

You want to bet the UK murder rate will be lower? I'd bet that too, mostly out of knowledge that the US doesn't solve problems much, and other countries do.

What do I want to change? It's a complex issue. But right now it's complex and nothing is being done about it, and people just say "but we have a right", but is the right sensible any more. Times have changed. Limits on firearms aren't very limited. It's like stopping someone from eating 250 bowls of cereal a day, 249 is okay though.

Not curb the rights of citizens? Haha, you put that in at the end. Well, firstly I think people should be open about the issue. That's never going to happen. I mean the partisan nonsense isn't going to change because it's in the interests of the politicians to keep it going.

I do think other things need to change first, like how people vote for one, without that changing nothing else is going to change.

However people need to take a look at the murder rate. When you get people calling for all Muslims to be deported and all that nonsense, and yet the number of murders and killings by Muslims is far, far, far lower than the gun problem in the US, yet they won't do anything about the gun problem but will do something about curbing OTHER PEOPLE.

And you lie...you guys propose gun laws...we show how they only effect normal gun owners....and then you get mad.......

After spending days telling the Germans they are wrong for having strict gun control...... the right will probably give their reasons why there should be MORE guns.... right?
The United States provides the right for citizens to have guns. This is not going away. The debate should be about access, liscensing, and getting rid of selling guns in a parking lot; with the aim to keep guns out of criminals hands and allow them to remain in lawful citizens hands.

The debate can be about many things. About the impact of guns on society, which the right generally try and ignore. Why shouldn't people look for the root cause of problems and change the Constitution if they think it's wrong?
The root cause of gun crime is not the second amendment

so changing it will not stop gun crimes

So why has the right blocked all money going to scientifically researching Gun Crime?

It hasn't....the CDC has been paying for gun research...I linked to the studies in another thread...that is an anti gun lie...

Blacks shoot up a nightclub every Friday.....and have been doing this for 50 years. This is not news.

Maybe not. I'm not making news, I'm making discussion based on what's been happening in Germany and the response to this on this board compared to the response when something happens in the US.

Black person kills a dozen people - whatever
Muslim kills a dozen people -ban muslims, bomb them, destroy them.

I just don't see any consistency.
Muslims seem to get more press, so of course. Blacks do this all the time, but out of sight, out of mind. However, they're shooting game cops now, not just each other, so maybe they'll get the press they deserve.

But then people don't see all of this from one perspective. They pick and choose to suit their needs and desires. It happens so much on a forum like this, trying to get people to actually use the same logic for two different things is almost impossible.
This all entirely due to media focus. It controls the debate. I often bring up issues the media ignores and hear nothing but crickets. Most people don't care to comment unless it's all over the news.

I agree. This forum can be a very frustrating place at times. You write a whole answer to someone's question and their answer will be something like "no, you're wrong", and it's like, did you even think about this issue?

The UK has already shown that if you don't have guns in your society then crime will not change, the crime will simply become knife crime, like it is there.

As for trying to be safe in a knife crime environment, you still need to do all the things you need to do in a gun crime environment -- be aware, don't go out at nite alone, stay in a group, etc.

You then must also carry your own knife, preferably a bigger knife than usual, and you must know how to fight with it.

By the way the best way to learn how to fight with knives is to take sword fencing classes. That way you learn all the parries, thrusts, and cuts.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate by decade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SO over 6 decades the murder rate in our country has risen and declined to the same rate
In UK the country gun control nuts like to use as an example in the same 60 year period the murder rte has risen and declined but now remains higher than it was 60 years ago

But if I say there are cultural and demographic differences between the US and the UK I will undoubtedly be called a racist

So the UK murder rate has always been lower, therefore it's destined to always be lower? That's a weak argument. That's like saying it's higher so let's not bother to fix the problems.

This is all that seems to happen on here, and in American politics in general. Excuses for why nothing should ever change.

Yes, there are other forces at work other than guns. Of course there are. These also need to be looked at. However in general they're not either.

And I never mentioned any future trends but if you want to put money on it I'll bet you that the murder rate in the UK will be lower than in the US 60 years from now.

ANd just what exactly do you want to change? Do you want to limit gun ownership? We already do that. Do you want to ban certain guns? We already do that

So just what exactly is it you think we should do tp curb gun crime and not curb the rights of law abiding citizens?
As I already mentioned gun re-sales through a licensed dealer. As far as getting rid of guns fuck that they are useful if a rabid animal comes in my yard im going to shoot it, bear comes around and tries to break in/hurt my pets same thing. Americans need guns, not everyone lives in the city. Also the deer population has exploded around here and we need ethical hunters to help control the population, and most hunters are ethical and skilled outdoorsman who don't waste anything that they take.

Criminals already buy guns at licensed gun dealers using straw buyers...they will do the same thing with any private sales.....the only reason for background checks for private sales....gun registration.....

I agree. This forum can be a very frustrating place at times. You write a whole answer to someone's question and their answer will be something like "no, you're wrong", and it's like, did you even think about this issue?
I find the excessive use "like" annoying. Sounds like a ditsy American teenage girl.

It might be the same as it was 60 years ago, but what? Guns were there before, guns are there now. Nothing has changed, and the whole time other first world countries have had lower crime, even if they've had an increase (which the US had also).

You want to bet the UK murder rate will be lower? I'd bet that too, mostly out of knowledge that the US doesn't solve problems much, and other countries do.

What do I want to change? It's a complex issue. But right now it's complex and nothing is being done about it, and people just say "but we have a right", but is the right sensible any more. Times have changed. Limits on firearms aren't very limited. It's like stopping someone from eating 250 bowls of cereal a day, 249 is okay though.

Not curb the rights of citizens? Haha, you put that in at the end. Well, firstly I think people should be open about the issue. That's never going to happen. I mean the partisan nonsense isn't going to change because it's in the interests of the politicians to keep it going.

I do think other things need to change first, like how people vote for one, without that changing nothing else is going to change.

However people need to take a look at the murder rate. When you get people calling for all Muslims to be deported and all that nonsense, and yet the number of murders and killings by Muslims is far, far, far lower than the gun problem in the US, yet they won't do anything about the gun problem but will do something about curbing OTHER PEOPLE.

Nothing has changed?

The UK passed the strictest guns laws ever seen in that country in 1968 and the murder rate is still the same as it was 60 years ago

We have passed thousands of gun laws and our murder rate is the same as it was 60 years ago

Seems to me it's not guns at all that drive murder rtaes

Passing guns laws doesn't automatically change things. It depends on the gun law. No gun law in the US has stopped there being guns. So.... The thousands of gun laws in the US don't equate to one gun law in Europe. The number of laws makes no difference. It's the substance.

But times have also changed. Had nothing been done in the UK then murder rates would be much higher. In fact there was a time when the Yardies were a major problem and gun violence soared. Nottingham was nicknamed Shottingham. But it was actually dealt with and the gun murder rate dropped.

Screen+Shot+2012-12-22+at++Saturday,+December+22,+9.22+PM.png

It went from 50 in 1999 to 100 in 2002. That's a massive increase. But then it went down to 40 by 2010. Why? It's called being active, solving problems.

Wrong..if you look at your own chart........the gun violence level is the same as it was before the confiscation...and it went up 4% last year...and they are now sending armed police patrols in high gun crime areas.........you are still wrong.

The United States provides the right for citizens to have guns. This is not going away. The debate should be about access, liscensing, and getting rid of selling guns in a parking lot; with the aim to keep guns out of criminals hands and allow them to remain in lawful citizens hands.

The debate can be about many things. About the impact of guns on society, which the right generally try and ignore. Why shouldn't people look for the root cause of problems and change the Constitution if they think it's wrong?

So why has the right blocked all money going to scientifically researching Gun Crime?

It hasn't....the CDC has been paying for gun research...I linked to the studies in another thread...that is an anti gun lie...

Try that again....

Quietly, Congress extends a ban on CDC research on gun violence

Try that again....

You do realize I linked to CDC gun research last week..........and in particular a gun study in Delaware that they did in 2015.......right?

It hasn't.....they have the same money and most of us have linked to the CDC gun research in Delaware in 2015....that is just an anti gun lie....

Try that again....

How do you explain this genius....check the date......

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/25/us/cdc-gun-violence-wilmington.html?_r=0

When epidemiologists from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention came to this city, they were not here to track an outbreak of meningitis or study the effectiveness of a particular vaccine.

They were here to examine gun violence.

This city of about 70,000 had a 45 percent jump in shootings from 2011 to 2013, and the violence has remained stubbornly high; 25 shooting deaths have been reported this year, slightly more than last year, according to the mayor’s office
.-------

The final report, which has been submitted to the state, reached a conclusion that many here said they already knew: that there are certain patterns in the lives of many who commit gun violence.

“The majority of individuals involved in urban firearm violence are young men with substantial violence involvement preceding the more serious offense of a firearm crime,” the report said. “Our findings suggest that integrating data systems could help these individuals better receive the early, comprehensive help that they need to prevent violence involvement.”

Researchers analyzed data on 569 people charged with firearm crimes from 2009 to May 21, 2014, and looked for certain risk factors in their lives, such as whether they had been unemployed, had received help from assistance programs, had been possible victims of child abuse, or had been shot or stabbed. The idea was to show that linking such data could create a better understanding of who might need help before becoming involved in violence.

Try that again....

Yeah...you should search the CDC website before you post....

This is some gun research from the CEC in 2006....

Violence-Related Firearm Deaths Among Residents of Metropolitan Areas and Cities --- United States, 2006--2007

And this one....

Source of Firearms Used by Students in School-Associated Violent Deaths --- United States, 1992--1999

And this one....

http://www.thecommunityguide.org/violence/viol-AJPM-evrev-firearms-law.pdf

And this one....

Surveillance for Fatal and Nonfatal Firearm-Related Injuries --- United States, 1993--1998

And this one....

Firearm Homicides and Suicides in Major Metropolitan Areas — United States, 2006–2007 and 2009–2010

And this one...

Indoor Firing Ranges and Elevated Blood Lead Levels — United States, 2002–2013

And this one....

Rates of Homicide, Suicide, and Firearm-Related Death Among Children -- 26 Industrialized Countries

Try that again....

Did you read the link you gave....doesn't say what the title says twit........

FORT MYERS, FL. (July 25, 2016) – In response to numerous media requests, Mayor Randall P. Henderson, Jr. provides the following statement in response to this morning’s shootings at Club Blu. We are deeply saddened by the shootings that took place in the City of Fort Myers early this morning. At this time we are still working with law enforcement to gather information on these events. Investigators are working very hard to determine a motive and find answers to questions. Our thoughts are foremost with the victims - Sean Archilles age 14 and Stef’an Strawder age 18 - and their families.

Fort Myers is not immune to crime and unfortunately not spared acts of violence and shootings as other cities across the country have experienced. We have watched events like this unfold too many times, but when it occurs in our city, it hits directly to our hearts. The Fort Myers Police Department confirms that this incident is not an act of terror or terrorism. I want to thank our local law enforcement – the Fort Myers Police Department and the Lee County Sheriff’s Office - who responded immediately and were able to apprehend three suspects. It is because of the joint task force between these agencies that was set up last September that they were able to come together so quickly and the suspects are now in custody. This is an example of how this task force has been able to successfully prioritize the health and well-being of our citizens.

I also want to commend our local medical personnel at Lee Memorial Health System, specifically Lee Memorial Hospital and Cape Coral Hospital for their role in administering to the victims. As we have more information, we will make it available to the community.

If anyone has any information regarding this case they are requested to contact the Fort Myers Police Department at 321-7700. Callers may also call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS or text message C-RI-M-E-S (274637) Keyword FMPD. Tipsters can remain anonymous.

Once again, our hearts and thoughts are with the victims and their families at this time of need.

3 suspects in custody
Fort Myers, FL

Oh look, most likely gang related. Yes, by all means lets take guns form the hands of the 90 million who don't commit crimes, so that the 1000 or so who do use them can have an easier time of it. The German shooter had no problem getting a gun so it will certainly work here:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

The German shooter spent a year preparing this, and yes, he got a gun. But still, he'd have had to kill 2,000 people to get murder rates on par with the USA.

It's amazing how people ignore this sort of fact, the US has a murder rate FOUR TIMES HIGHER than almost every other first world country. You're 4 times more likely to die with a gun in your hand than without.

Wrong.

I find the excessive use "like" annoying. Sounds like a ditsy American teenage girl.

Like, so fucking what? Answer my post, like, or I'll like, you know, like, you know, like, be like, hey, like that's so like.

Hey libs, this was the black on black violence thing. The thing you CONSTANTLY ignore. Police didn't do it so why would you care? Perhaps a rifle was used? If not, under the carpet with this liberals, and you say "black lives matter" when you shits constantly ignore the vast vast majority of black deaths.

Forum List

Back