Massive Amtrak Crash....but who cares about our highways and trains?

If the market had a demand for those trains, we'd have them.
The demand is there.
For commuter lines, not long-distance - which is why AmTrak loses money and requires taxpayer subsidy.
Subsidized like the airlines and Big Oil?
Your red herring indicates you know you have no effective response to what I said.
I therefore accept your concession of the point.
Bullshit -
Yes, your red herring was bullshit.
Fact of the matter: long-distance rail passenger service isn't profitable because there is no demand.
Fact of the matter: This unprofitably is why AmTrak requires taxpayer subsidies.

This line, the Northeast Corridor, is a nightmare to ride. The rail system between D.C. and Boston hasn't been updated in over 60 years.

But bomb, bomb, bomb ....bomb, bomb Iran. Yeah baby! Defense spending trumps our own citizens' ability to get to work every day.

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck
(140 injured)

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck - WSJ
BN-IJ919_0513pa_P_20150513003151.jpg

The Chinese, French, Italians, Japanese, et al. are laughing at us.
large_article_im2631_China_Bullet_Train.jpg
Not.
About.
Our.
Infrastructure.

The engineer was driving the train too fast.
No amount of money poured into the train or the track would have made him slow down.
Speed did it.

Hogwash!

Automated systems would have cut the power and applied the brakes if they detected that the train was going too fast for the corner.
And why didn't they already have automated systems there? Are democrat states incapable of automation?

Last time I mentioned our crumbling infrastructure I was derided for sounding like a broken record. So six people dead and 140 injured. So six people dead and 140 injured. So six people dead and.....

And you have no evidence that this has anything to do with the accident, so until you do, shut your hole.

We still need to spend money on our infrastructure. Plus, it would create jobs and help the economy.
Yeah cause taking money away from people's income to fund trains to no where that no one wants to use is sure to help the economy.

The death toll is now 7 with 200 injured.
Certainly the Right doesn't care about infrastructure .. they just cut AMTRAK funding.
I heard on TV that the US spends 1.7% of the budget on infrastructure, Europe 5%, China 6%.
If you travel, the difference is obvious.
And I do. Huge difference. U.S. train system sucks. Amtrak is pinched, not getting funding and so they are cutting corners and....curves....in order to compensate.
The Acela Express will knock you off your feet if you are standing on a platform when it passes. This is not news, this high speed.
You argue the engineer was simply going as fast as the schedule Amtrak set.
Why aren't you screaming for Amtrak to be held criminally liable for these deaths?
When are you going to show that the automobile companies "quashed" passenger rail travel?

Who said I wasn't screaming for Amtrak to be held liable? Where do I defend them? I'm condemning them if you have the slightest ability to comprehend English.

GM started the movement to kill off mass transit. Google Edwin J. Quinby. I'm not your mother and I won't do your homework for you.

Edwin J. Quinby
In 1946, Edwin Jenyss Quinby, an activated reserve commander,[33] founder of the Electric Railroaders' Association in 1934 (which lobbied on behalf of rail users and services),[34] former employee of North Jersey Rapid Transit (which operated in New York) published a 24-page 'expose' on the ownership of National City Lines addressed to "The Mayors; The City Manager; The City Transit Engineer; The members of The Committee on Mass-Transportation and The Tax-Payers and The Riding Citizens of Your Community". It began, "This is an urgent warning to each and every one of you that there is a careful, deliberately planned campaign to swindle you out of your most important and valuable public utilities–your Electric Railway System".[35] His agitating may have led Federal authorities to prosecute GM and the other companies.[36]

So it worked so well the federal authorities prosecuted GM. LOL!

Last time I mentioned our crumbling infrastructure I was derided for sounding like a broken record. So six people dead and 140 injured. So six people dead and 140 injured. So six people dead and.....

And you have no evidence that this has anything to do with the accident, so until you do, shut your hole.

We still need to spend money on our infrastructure. Plus, it would create jobs and help the economy.

I thought economy was at full speed already. With low unemployment, where would we possibly find the workers?

Also, 4 weeks ago, I drove I-10 and I 20 from AZ to Atlanta, and I-20 in Mississippi, particularly around Tupelo, had so many potholes that it was unsafe to drive over 40 MPH max.

OMG, you're not kidding. I drove from NJ to Houston, came back via 40 and 81 north. Miles and miles of horrible pot holes. Blinking signs that said, "Pot Holes Ahead...Drive Carefully". NONE OF THEM WERE BEING REPAIRED. This went on from Arkansas all the way into Virginia. People were driving so fast, going 75-80, so you couldn't see them coming because the roads were packed, too.

Amtrak's lawyers have told this engineer what to say. It reminds me of the scene in Breaking Bad where Mike comes into Jesse's apartment where Jesse's girlfriend is dead from a heroin overdose. Mike said to Jesse, "Call the police. When they get here tell them you woke up, she was dead and you called 911. That's it. Don't say anything else".

As I said earlier in this thread, the engineer was doing what he was told. He doesn't set the time schedules, he just tries to meet them.

Amtrak's lawyers have told this engineer what to say. It reminds me of the scene in Breaking Bad where Mike comes into Jesse's apartment where Jesse's girlfriend is dead from a heroin overdose. Mike said to Jesse, "Call the police. When they get here tell them you woke up, she was dead and you called 911. That's it. Don't say anything else".

As I said earlier in this thread, the engineer was doing what he was told. He doesn't set the time schedules, he just tries to meet them.

Wrong. Everyone in jobs like this is told safety is your top priority. If you are given an unsafe work order you are supposed to report it. I doubt he was ordered to hit a 50 MPH curve at 100 MPH.

This line, the Northeast Corridor, is a nightmare to ride. The rail system between D.C. and Boston hasn't been updated in over 60 years.

But bomb, bomb, bomb ....bomb, bomb Iran. Yeah baby! Defense spending trumps our own citizens' ability to get to work every day.

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck
(140 injured)

Death Toll Rises to 6 in Philadelphia Amtrak Train Wreck - WSJ
BN-IJ919_0513pa_P_20150513003151.jpg

The Chinese, French, Italians, Japanese, et al. are laughing at us.
large_article_im2631_China_Bullet_Train.jpg
Mr. Nutter said a “black box” data recorder aboard the train had been recovered and is being analyzed at an Amtrak facility in Delaware. He said it was too soon to speculate on the cause of the accident.

In other words; You Are A Lying PIle of Shit that is using the deaths of innocent people to push your agenda.

vile fucking leftist filth

Hey, Congress voted today on legislation that should have been passed a long time ago....that would have provided equipment that would have prevented this accident, but in spite of the deaths due to this accident, Republicans don't think they need to provide the funds for the needed equipment and voted to cut funding.
How typically selfish and greedy.

Republicans don't seem to care about Americans......that's a fact, or they wouldn't be cutting funding that saves lives.

You're the vile fucking selfish rightist from what I can see.

WASHINGTON — Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives voted Wednesday to cut funding for Amtrak operations a day after a crash in Philadelphia that killed at least seven people and injured more than 50 others.

The House Appropriations Committee voted along party lines to give Amtrak $1.14 billion in the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1, $251 million less the passenger railroad's current allocation. Committee Republicans defeated two Democratic efforts to spend more money on Amtrak.

House Republicans vote to cut Amtrak funding 1 day after deadly crash NJ.com
IT WAS OPERATOR ERROR.

ROT IN HELL YOU LEFTIST ****

Government agency tell the employee to what to say, gee how many times have we heard that.

I thought economy was at full speed already. With low unemployment, where would we possibly find the workers?

We can put those 5.4% of unemployed people to work! :p

How much should the government raise our taxes to pay for this?

No need to raise taxes. Take some money from our massive defense budget.

I think they should only raise taxes on warmongers, and those who bitch about how much it's going to cost to fix our infrastructure. LOL!

Instead of wanting to be #1 (in health, education, transportation, etc.,) Republican's are now the party of we can't fix shit....we can't do anything.

There you go....

:D

There you go....

:D

I'm all for cutting spending, however I want all spending cut. Stop the government from funding passenger rail service at the expense of the taxpayer. Let those who ride, pay for it.

We spent a trillion in stimulus money and very little went to infrastructure. Cut spending and make the government start accounting for their spending.

Forum List

Back