Maureen O'Hara - RIP

WOW....sad to hear, but she must have enjoyed a wonderful life to have lived so long. Her best movie for me, Hunchback and the Parent Trap. May she rest in peace, along with all the greats of her era.

So few of that era left.
Gregory Peck died just a year before Ronald Reagan. I was in Korea at the time and missed the news. He was one of my favorite classic actors.

I am extremely old school and worship the TMC channel. Gregory Peck along with Bill Holden are by far the best actors of that era. 3 Peck movies that will go down in history as being the best....Roman Holiday, To Kill a Mockingbird and of course, Gentlemens Agreement....and anything Bill was in, I got on tape!!!

That era gave us....America in a nut shell, never to be repeated or enjoyed as much.

I am sorry but you must not be a woman. Because Cary Grant grabbed it all. Smart, savvy, sexy. North by Northwest..... But agree on William Holden. He ooozed hottiness in "The Picnic" even though Kim Novak was wooden and stilted.

Gregory Peck never had that sexy sheen to him, he became everybody's fantasy father in To Kill a Mockingbird, but he was pretty hot in The Guns of Navarone.

Just about all movies made back in the day, compared to the get the money and run movies of today, all have and had classic value to them. The most wonderful gift I have found, while enjoying TMC, are movies that I've discovered are simple pleasures. I've never seen the Guns of Navarone, but will now that you've suggested it. I did leave out another one of his classic, The Yearling.....and the one seen he's telling his kid Joey they have to shoot his beloved deer Flag...brings tears to my eyes each time.
The Ox-Bow Incident. I love movies with a strong moral lesson. This one was about vigilante justice.

I bet the Duke made about 25 times what she got paid for that film.
Even Katharine Hepburn understood that bullshit.
Bruce Dern (in an interview with Rolling Stone for "Nebraska") said that John Wayne was usually sloshed by 8:30 in the morning, too. But maybe he wasn't an alcoholic back then.

Edited to add: Dern also said that in one of his last films, he played the guy who shot and killed Wayne in "The Cowboys" and Wayne warned him that his career would be over if he shot that scene. Nobody kills The Duke. He was right. Dern never got a decent roll after that.

I don't believe that. Bruce Dern was an overrated actor; his work was panned by the public with the exception of the pot heads.

Last edited:
Maureen O'Hara has passed away at the age of 95. I adored her so many movies.

RIP, Maureen.

Maureen O’Hara, Actress of Hollywood’s Golden Age, Dies at 95

WOW....sad to hear, but she must have enjoyed a wonderful life to have lived so long. Her best movie for me, Hunchback and the Parent Trap. May she rest in peace, along with all the greats of her era.

So few of that era left.

Well, yes. She was 95. The only ones still alive that I can immediately think of are Kirk Douglas and Olivia de Haviland.

Olivia de Haviland was always too smart to accept a scene where a man knocked her to the ground.

I'm not really sure on this one, so don't quote me, but she played in a later movie, where she's stuck in a cage in an elevator that went out and is terrorized by a then young James Caan and his gang of thugs she gets beat up pretty bad in that movie. I could goolge it, but........

Olivia de Haviland was always too smart to accept a scene where a man knocked her to the ground.
Betty Davis dropped a flower pot on the villionous Olivia.

There isn't one single movie that Betty has made, that I don't adore and love....this woman was by far the best actress of her era, bar none and the movie world will never ever ever see anyone come near her excellence....never, not even Merle.

Maureen O'Hara has passed away at the age of 95. I adored her so many movies.

RIP, Maureen.

Maureen O’Hara, Actress of Hollywood’s Golden Age, Dies at 95

So few of that era left.

Well, yes. She was 95. The only ones still alive that I can immediately think of are Kirk Douglas and Olivia de Haviland.

I'm not really sure on this one, so don't quote me, but she played in a later movie, where she's stuck in a cage in an elevator that went out and is terrorized by a then young James Caan and his gang of thugs she gets beat up pretty bad in that movie. I could goolge it, but........

Maureen and Caan never worked together

So few of that era left.

Olivia de Haviland was in the elevator movie with James Caan.

So few of that era left.

Lady in a Cage

It's a nice change for all of us to be part of a thread and not squabble over stupid politics.

I sooo agree. I was thinking the same thing....one thing is certain, politics aside...everyone should admire and celebrate America's movie history....for it is the thing of which dreams were made. TMC is doing a tribute to Movie Moguls and its soo good to watch and see just how intriguing these brilliant men were of there era.

Lady in a Cage

Yeah, I know, I was refering to Olivia not being trashed in any of her movies by a man, that one she was. Lady in a Cage, I gotta find that and watch it again, it was really good.

It's a nice change for all of us to be part of a thread and not squabble over stupid politics.

Stupid rightie moron ^^^^ :funnyface:

I know your trying to be funny, ha ha, but lets all agree, it is refreshing to not have to bring out the big guns and go there.....I'm actually enjoying this thread. I hate that it took a death to bring us to this but stranger things have happened.

Spencer Tracy did 9 with Kathryn Hepburn....

270px-Woman_of_the_Year_poster.jpg

I think my favorite Maureen movie is "The Parent Trap". There are better movies featuring her, but this one is adorable.

It's difficult to pick one but my favorite is probably, "The Quiet Man". She seems to have always played a strong, confident woman with an abundance of spice, no wonder she was my first crush (actress wise) as a young man.

Rest in Peace, Truly Grand Lady..

Forum List

Back