Mayor: Raise taxes for school safety vs No new taxes..and no school safety

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Charleston Mayor Riley calls for tax hike to fund policing program at elementary schools, downtown – The Post and Courier

Well, this issue is now hitting, whats that term, "where the rubber meets the road". Now, the emotion and shock of the school shooting is beginning to numb a bit, and the people are getting down to the nitty gritty about how or what to do about it.

Well, Charleston mayor Joe Riley proposed a nearly $4,000,000 tax hike, which would be on property taxes, and would come out to about $40 a year for a person who owns a 250K home. Thats about average in Charleston (250K). So, basically, the people are being asked to pay $40 a year more, in exchange for having armed, trained cops in most elementary schools, and to replace a few crumbling fire dept buildings.

And some council members dont like it. The chairwoman said she MUST oppose the tax hike "out of principle". You know....just because. Because, well, its a tax, and out of principle it must be opposed. Nevermind the cause.

So, what do we do? We want armed men in the schools. Cops are the most reasonable answer. All the other shit aside, we all know its true. Ex-military guys being hired would work also, but who pays for it? For how long? What about liability? Workers comp if they're hurt? Who are they deputized by since they'll have to take custodial action? Its far easier logistically to just use the police department.

So, is $40 a year worth having that unicorn called an armed guard (cop) in the schools? Many apparantly think NOT....."out of principle".

True. And I guess only Charleston, SC has elementary schools, right?

This is a national issue, which will have to be addressed by local leaders. All of us have a say in it. Im interested in the trends nationwide on how locals are handling it. I offered one. Whats the problem with discussing it?

This is a national issue, which will have to be addressed by local leaders. All of us have a say in it. Im interested in the trends nationwide on how locals are handling it. I offered one. Whats the problem with discussing it?

It's none of your business and NO YOU DON'T have a say in what they do,

Sheesh Steph:rolleyes:

Right after Newtown there were a dozen threads by the more right wing posters calling for armed guards, filled with outrage at the left for not getting on board with their idea. Now we have an actual district purposing such armed guards, and the people in that community say, no way am I paying for that.

Personally, I think armed guards are way over the line and Id vote no. I think every district should have a vote, that way people can decide if its what they want.

Um, Im a voter in this city, it is my business and I do have a say.

Right after Newtown there were a dozen threads by the more right wing posters calling for armed guards, filled with outrage at the left for not getting on board with their idea. Now we have an actual district purposing such armed guards, and the people in that community say, no way am I paying for that.

Personally, I think armed guards are way over the line and Id vote no. I think every district should have a vote, that way people can decide if its what they want.

One person so far is opposed to the tax.

The chairwoman said she MUST oppose the tax hike "out of principle.

We recently had a school student shooter in an Atlanta school and he was disarmed by an off duty cop after wounding one other student. It could have been a lot worse but for the cop

Yep. I KNEW this would happen too. Everyone was outraged and crying for armed guards (not "cops", "armed guards", that sounds more private sectorish).

But now that the ideas are hitting the agendas, and the money is being talked about, people are backing off. Sure, the idea of armed guards sounds nice and all, until they find out "WHOA:eek:" we gotta pay for it!!!????

And, for Steph to suggest that as a voter in this city I have no say in the matter, and its in fact none of my business? WOW.

god, lets just go back to the 60's when life and going to school was so simple! what the hell has happened to the country!

One person so far is opposed to the tax.

The chairwoman said she MUST oppose the tax hike "out of principle.

We recently had a school student shooter in an Atlanta school and he was disarmed by an off duty cop after wounding one other student. It could have been a lot worse but for the cop

Read the comments below the story. Several have voiced opposition. And if you lived here in the city, you'd hear the people who are pissed about it, most are against this tax, but, also happened to be the same ones demanding armed guards a month ago.

The cop in the Atlanta story wasn't "off" duty, but was assigned to that school, in uniform, and being paid to be there, but was working "off" from normal assignment. Atlanta PD was still paying him, just with overtime funds rather than regular pay.

But this is it. These proposals are now going to start trickling down. And people are gonna do just what I thought: Oppose the additional government spending...as the chairwoman said..."out of principle".

News flash: the money ISN'T THERE. We (the taxpayers) can't keep paying, we are tapped out. (My property taxes have nearly tripled in four years.) To fund this, cut something else!

News flash: the money ISN'T THERE. We (the taxpayers) can't keep paying, we are tapped out. (My property taxes have nearly tripled in four years.) To fund this, cut something else!

Downtown Charleston is one of the wealthiest areas in the Southeast. The City of Charleston just spend over $20,000,000 on a new, but unnecessary, Gailliard Auditorium because the elite rich folks South of Broad (Street) bitched about going to operas and symphony concerts in an old building. The city is about to spend millions on a new, but unnecessary, port terminal.....just to move the cruise ships a mile up river because the rich people are bitching that the big ships ruin the view of the ocean.

This city has money. Lots of it. And the mayor and police chief are asking each household to part with about $40 a year more in order to put an armed, trained cop in the schools that their children go to. Thats about what the Charleston peninsula elite will spend on appetizers during their dinner at High Cotton, S.N.O.B, Peninsula Grille, or any number of high end, ultra expensive restaurants around there.

But, "out of principle", they just cant seem to support it.

Liberals believe Throwing money at the problem is the answer to every question.

We dump more per capita into Education than any other country on earth, and our students are no where near the top. Seems to me, they can take some of that money, they are clearly not spending effectively, and use it for security.

Downtown Charleston is one of the wealthiest areas in the Southeast. The City of Charleston just spend over $20,000,000 on a new, but unnecessary, Gailliard Auditorium because the elite rich folks South of Broad (Street) bitched about going to operas and symphony concerts in an old building. The city is about to spend millions on a new, but unnecessary, port terminal.....just to move the cruise ships a mile up river because the rich people are bitching that the big ships ruin the view of the ocean.

This city has money. Lots of it. And the mayor and police chief are asking each household to part with about $40 a year more in order to put an armed, trained cop in the schools that their children go to. Thats about what the Charleston peninsula elite will spend on appetizers during their dinner at High Cotton, S.N.O.B, Peninsula Grille, or any number of high end, ultra expensive restaurants around there.

But, "out of principle", they just cant seem to support it.

Yeah, I am sure that is why they built it. Because the Rich demanded it, and not because it will bring Tax Revenue, and Business to the City.

Jesus man, to you there is nothing that can not be blamed on the evil rich right?

lol

Um, Im a voter in this city, it is my business and I do have a say.

ok fine, IF you live there..you didn't SAY THAT

Downtown Charleston is one of the wealthiest areas in the Southeast.

If the city has money there is no need for a tax, right?

Liberals believe Throwing money at the problem is the answer to every question.

We dump more per capita into Education than any other country on earth, and our students are no where near the top. Seems to me, they can take some of that money, they are clearly not spending effectively, and use it for security.

:confused:

The right wingers were saying armed guards or cops in schools was the answer...NOT new gun laws.

But..now that it is being proposed, and of course, needing to be PAID FOR, the folks who suggested it no longer want to "throw money at the problem"????

Downtown Charleston is one of the wealthiest areas in the Southeast.

If the city has money there is no need for a tax, right?

Depends on your outlook. They are spending huge amounts of money on several projects: The new Gailliard Auditorium for rich folks to watch operas and orchestra shows, beautifying the Crosstown highway with trees, plants, light poles, etc, a new cruise ship terminal (unnecessary) because the rich folks downtown are mad that the Carnival ships block their view of the ocean.

The city HAS lots of money, but it is already marked for spending on big, but unnecessary, projects.

So, if the people want armed cops in schools, they must PAY FOR IT.

The tax is possible because the population downtown has money, not because the city hall has extra money. And the people of downtown DO have excess money for this school security issue.

Listen to yourself. This area is wasting tons of money on unnecessary things, so we must raise taxes to do something necessary. Why not just cut the bloated spending? Where is the logic?

Forum List

Back