Mayor: Raise taxes for school safety vs No new taxes..and no school safety

Sheesh Steph:rolleyes:

Right after Newtown there were a dozen threads by the more right wing posters calling for armed guards, filled with outrage at the left for not getting on board with their idea. Now we have an actual district purposing such armed guards, and the people in that community say, no way am I paying for that.

Personally, I think armed guards are way over the line and Id vote no. I think every district should have a vote, that way people can decide if its what they want.

One person so far is opposed to the tax.

The chairwoman said she MUST oppose the tax hike "out of principle.

We recently had a school student shooter in an Atlanta school and he was disarmed by an off duty cop after wounding one other student. It could have been a lot worse but for the cop

Read the comments below the story. Several have voiced opposition. And if you lived here in the city, you'd hear the people who are pissed about it, most are against this tax, but, also happened to be the same ones demanding armed guards a month ago.

The cop in the Atlanta story wasn't "off" duty, but was assigned to that school, in uniform, and being paid to be there, but was working "off" from normal assignment. Atlanta PD was still paying him, just with overtime funds rather than regular pay.

But this is it. These proposals are now going to start trickling down. And people are gonna do just what I thought: Oppose the additional government spending...as the chairwoman said..."out of principle".

I couldn't find the source of the pay for the cop. Perhaps you have a link.

The armed resource officer who took the gun away was off-duty and at the school, but police didn't release many details on him or whether he is regularly at Price.

Read more: Student wounded in shooting at Atlanta middle school | Fox News

The suspect was disarmed and taken into custody by a school resource officer, according to Davis. That suspect has tentatively been identified as a student at Price Middle School, police said. According to Atlanta Police Chief George Turner, the school resource officer is an off-duty Atlanta Police officer who was armed at the time.
Student shot at Price Middle School in Atlanta - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

An armed off-duty Atlanta police officer who works at the school subdued the shooter and had him drop his weapon, Police Chief George Turner said.
Teen shot at Atlanta school; student held

Unless you can provide names and quotes of these right wingers that were all for armed school guards and then find them opposing raising taxes to pay for them, I must call bullshit.

Democrats can never find a way to do ANYTHING without wanting to raise peoples TAXES

cut something from another area is like a SIN to them

I do NOT believe that putting armed guards in schools WILL make students safer.

I actually think it will make them less safe.

Downtown Charleston is one of the wealthiest areas in the Southeast.

If the city has money there is no need for a tax, right?

Depends on your outlook. They are spending huge amounts of money on several projects: The new Gailliard Auditorium for rich folks to watch operas and orchestra shows, beautifying the Crosstown highway with trees, plants, light poles, etc, a new cruise ship terminal (unnecessary) because the rich folks downtown are mad that the Carnival ships block their view of the ocean.

The city HAS lots of money, but it is already marked for spending on big, but unnecessary, projects.

So, if the people want armed cops in schools, they must PAY FOR IT.

The tax is possible because the population downtown has money, not because the city hall has extra money. And the people of downtown DO have excess money for this school security issue.

I have a few questions about the proposed tax increase and related items.

Why did they tack on the rundown fire houses and not just deal with this one issue?

Wouldn't an armed security guard be cheaper than police?

Why aren't each school allowed to make their own decision about security?

This link has a list of the 18 states that allow guns in school:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/272706-guns-are-already-allowed-in-schools-in-18-states.html

Did South Carolina change the law about guns in school and do you have information on other states changing their laws? South Carolina isn't on that list, which is probably outdated due to recent changes.

Disclaimer: I've ask just for the sake information and don't endorse either side of this issue.

I have alot of family that live in charleton, and they say it's the liberal city of south carolina. The reason for millions being spent on the arts and moving cruise ships. instead of protecting children.

I have alot of family that live in charleton, and they say it's the liberal city of south carolina. The reason for millions being spent on the arts and moving cruise ships. instead of protecting children.

I estimated in my area that it wouldn't cost much more per year to have security in schools. We don't have laws allowing guns in schools in my state, but originally before the issue surfaced, 18 of the states did have laws allowing guns in schools and the ones I've checked left it up to the school. That is the way it should be, allowing the community to decide. It won't cost that much and why would somebody want the federal government, state or local government involved enough to make the decision for you? Add a good tip at a average restaurant per year to your taxes and get security for your schools, if that's what the people want.

What Charleston is doing seems a little screwed up in my book. I think they can find well trained private security, where they can fund something like an IRA/401K kind of deal and avoid all that unnecessary future expense, instead of using police. It's only a 180 day per year job, which comes out to 1440 hours per year at 8 hours per day. I also think it's a mistake to add additional spending for such a proposal. Let the people who want security pay for it and allow the school districts to decide if they want it. It's up to Charleston to decide such things for themselves, because maybe they could use another cop when they are not in school like during the summer. Maybe they want to use a variety of cops to do that job.

I see pros and cons on both sides of the issue, so I'm somewhat indifferent about what's to be done in this area, though I'm more inclined to not want guns in schools. I wouldn't want someone not trained and evaluated having a gun in school and I don't want the teachers or principal to do that job. Having a gun in a school requires making sure that gun doesn't fall into the wrong hands, so you wouldn't want a teacher getting knocked out from behind and giving up a gun. In another part of the country, where everybody is carrying a gun, the logic might be different. I don't see a one size fits all solution.

But now that the ideas are hitting the agendas, and the money is being talked about, people are backing off. Sure, the idea of armed guards sounds nice and all, until they find out "WHOA:eek:" we gotta pay for it!!!????

Why do you assume that taxes have to be raised to pay for it, rather than an allocation of resources by the school district?

Dubya,
I live in the upstate, we have armed police officers in middle and high schools. I don't know about elementary since my child is in high school. I haven't seen or heard of raising taxes.

Last edited:
Democrats can never find a way to do ANYTHING without wanting to raise peoples TAXES

cut something from another area is like a SIN to them

School security is a local issue, so if the people in that local area want it, they should pay for it. This isn't a federal issue and the only issue the states or local governments should have is allowing a local area to have guns in their schools or not.

This Democrat says: start paying your own fucking way and stop being Red State Moochers wanting to cut services in states paying for all their services and part of yours, you bunch of damned bums.

Dubya,
I live in the upstate, we have armed gaurds in middle and high schools. I don't know about elementary since my child is in high school. I haven't seen or heard of raising taxes.

Upstate is usually upstate New York to me. If some school wants it, I think the state should allow it and the people in that school district should pay for it. New York is one of the states that allow guns in school and so was Connecticut.

Guns already allowed in schools with little restriction in many states

Here are the 18 states that allow adults to carry loaded weapons onto school grounds with few or minor conditions:

•Alabama (which bans possessing a weapon on school grounds only if the carrier has "intent to do bodily harm")
•California (with approval of the superintendent)
•Connecticut (with approval of "school officials")
•Hawaii (no specific law)
•Idaho (with school trustees' approval)
•Iowa (with "authorization")
•Kentucky (with school board approval)
•Massachusetts (with approval of the school board or principal)
•Mississippi (with school board approval)
•Montana (with school trustees' permission)
•New Hampshire (ban applies only to pupils, not adults)
•New Jersey (with approval from the school's "governing officer")
•New York (with the school's approval)
•Oregon (with school board approval)
•Rhode Island (with a state concealed weapons permit)
•Texas (with the school's permission)
•Utah (with approval of the "responsible school administrator")
•Wyoming (as long as it's not concealed)

Source: Guns already allowed in schools with little restriction in many states - Open Channel

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/272706-guns-are-already-allowed-in-schools-in-18-states.html

Dubya,
I live in the upstate, we have armed gaurds in middle and high schools. I don't know about elementary since my child is in high school. I haven't seen or heard of raising taxes.

Upstate is usually upstate New York to me. If some school wants it, I think the state should allow it and the people in that school district should pay for it. New York is one of the states that allow guns in school and so was Connecticut.

Here are the 18 states that allow adults to carry loaded weapons onto school grounds with few or minor conditions:

•Alabama (which bans possessing a weapon on school grounds only if the carrier has "intent to do bodily harm")

Source: Guns already allowed in schools with little restriction in many states - Open Channel

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry i

Sorry I meant armed police, and I live in upstate sc.

Dubya,

Sorry i

Sorry I meant armed police, and I live in upstate sc.

I think the laws in South Carolina may have changed, but I haven't seen evidence of it and I looked specifically for SC. I noticed other states have changed their laws, but it wasn't reported much nationally. I recall reading articles about states having legislation to change, but not the results. Cops are allowed in any school and I don't think any state requires a cop to remove his gun. Cops are suppose to be armed when in public, even when off duty. If a school hires a cop, then the gun comes with it, would be my guess.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Listen to law enforcement before putting guns in school - SCNow.com: Letters

People focus on the 10th Amendment as a federal vs state issue, but it also mentions the people, which can only mean the people can also be delegated power to decide what to do about an issue. It's possible problems could require a state to enact law about how to allow guns in schools, but presently they should allow the people to decide if they want security. I don't think it's right for a state to prohibit a school from having private security, if that's what the people want. I don't think allowing the teachers to provide security is a good idea. Even a well trained teacher is exposed to students and we don't want to chance having a gun getting into the wrong hands. I think some kind of profession security or no security is the best two options. Around here, I'm inclined to side with no security and no guns.

Listen to yourself. This area is wasting tons of money on unnecessary things, so we must raise taxes to do something necessary. Why not just cut the bloated spending? Where is the logic?

Exactly my point...which many seem hell-bent on deliberately missing!

Forum List

Back