McDonald's boycotts Israeli settlements!!!!!

51cbdc75ac4ce.jpg

Burger Ranch has better burgers anyway : ))

Mr. Pedan has chosen to exercise his right to do as he wishes with his business, within the law. And the citizens of Israel have the right to buy their burgers elsewhere if they choose.

There's no reason I can see to boycott McD's in the US because of an issue involving franchises within Israel.... but then I don't go there to begin with. (I prefer Panera......)

The Boycott by major personalities and Scholars grows by the day…Even Giant Mc Donald’s is refusing to recognize the West Bank settlements and occupation…

McDonald's refuses to operate in Jewish settlement

JERUSALEM (AP) — The McDonald's restaurant chain refused to open a branch in a West Bank Jewish settlement, the company said Thursday, adding a prominent name to an international movement to boycott Israel's settlements.

Irina Shalmor, spokeswoman for McDonald's Israel, said the owners of a planned mall in the Ariel settlement asked McDonald's to open a branch there about six months ago. Shalmor said the chain refused because the owner of McDonald's Israel has a policy of staying out of the occupied territories. The decision was not coordinated with McDonald's headquarters in the U.S., she said. In an email, the headquarters said "our partner in Israel has determined that this particular location is not part of his growth plan."

The Israeli branch's owner and franchisee, Omri Padan, is a founder of the dovish group Peace Now, which opposes all settlements and views them as obstacles to peace. The group said Padan is no longer a member.

The decision by such a well-known multinational company to boycott the West Bank deals settlers an unwelcome blow.

It also adds the name of an important international brand to a movement that has urged businesses to stay out of the West Bank. International companies like Caterpillar, France's Veolia and others have faced pressure from a global network of pro-Palestinian activists to sever links with the settlements.

Last edited:
But they have opened a McDonalds in East Jerusalem, I think, so somewhat of a mixed message McDonalds sends by this action. At least if you view their action as a Boycott act. But on further reflection, I think this seeming contradiction can perhaps simply be explained by recognizing there is substantial flexibility with boycotts. A McDonalds in East Jerusalem can serve all residents, Arabs and Jews and tourists. But refusing to build within a settlement only opened to illegal Jewish settlers within the Occupied West Bank is targeted more specifically to boycott the illegal Jewish settlement enterprise. And I expect McDonalds does not use the word Boycott.

Last edited:
Playing more Chess and Painting, however, We've always talked about Abba Eban's quote; " The Palestinians have never missed an opportunity to miss an oportunity."

I think that while the Middle East is burning with revolutions and wars, and the uncertainty of Iran's Nukes, Israeli leadership would be missing the opportunity to end this Conflict by making peace with the Arab League and the Palestinians...

It really is an Historic opportunity for the Jewish State's survival in the long-run.

But they have opened a McDonalds in East Jerusalem, I think, so somewhat of a mixed message McDonalds sends by this action. At least if you view their action as a Boycott act. But on further reflection, I think this seeming contradiction can perhaps simply be explained by recognizing there is substantial flexibility with boycotts. A McDonalds in East Jerusalem can serve all residents, Arabs and Jews and tourists. But refusing to build within a settlement only opened to illegal Jewish settlers within the Occupied West Bank is targeted more specifically to boycott the illegal Jewish settlement enterprise. And I expect McDonalds does not use the word Boycott.
I guess there is a middle ground, as I support. Jerusalem should be Shared Sovereignty. This would enhance cooperation...The Occupied West Bank is Palestine's to Control, unless they agree to land swaps.

"You can't always get what you want...."

Not in Israel they wont.

This is not a global problem, its a problem of reputation of Mr. Pedan.

Ariel is Israel.

Ariel is not part of the State of Israel.

Israel hasn't annexed Ariel, law & order is governed by military authorities.

ARIEL is in the Occupied West Bank and its inhabitants are illegal settlers who live there in violation of intl law. Wonderful, watching McDonalds refuse to open a business there. I will make a point to take my family to McDonalds tomorrow and think about the morality and decency of McDonalds. BRAVO, McDonalds!

Tx. Connery for putting this where it belongs...

Reading the previous posts...I notice the same old name calling and threats of their-own boycotts...the same tools used here in America to intimidate compliance rather than solving the problem of peace.

I honestly do not understand how Israel's threats of force and laughter at the world to keep the piece that she has unjustly conquered.

400 million Arabs, plus Iranians, Turks, the list goes on. In 50-100 years they will all have nukes...I fear the threat is evident and I hope I don't see the millions dead in my life time.

Last edited:

Mr. Pedan has chosen to exercise his right to do as he wishes with his business, within the law. And the citizens of Israel have the right to buy their burgers elsewhere if they choose.

There's no reason I can see to boycott McD's in the US because of an issue involving franchises within Israel.... but then I don't go there to begin with. (I prefer Panera......)

Acutually, not so much within the law.

Ariel is defined by the Israeli law as part of Israel, and Mr. Pedan, as Israeli, is obligated to behave according to the Israeli law.

Since Ariel is defined by our government as part of Israel, his behavior is considered unjustified discrimination. he cannot really do that, in the same way that he cannot tell an Arab or a Black man to enter his restaurant.

Again, this is not a policy of McDonalds world-wide boycott, but a boycott of an Israeli leftist on other Israelis.

There is nothing legal here.

Not in Israel they wont.

This is not a global problem, its a problem of reputation of Mr. Pedan.

Ariel is Israel.

ARIEL is in the Occupied West Bank and its inhabitants are illegal settlers who live there in violation of intl law. Wonderful, watching McDonalds refuse to open a business there. I will make a point to take my family to McDonalds tomorrow and think about the morality and decency of McDonalds. BRAVO, McDonalds!

Read my posts.

This is not a policy of McDonalds but a policy of one man specifically.

Read my posts.

This is not a policy of McDonalds but a policy of one man specifically.
So true, Lipush. it appears that one man is the owner of the McDonald's franchise in Israel. The Israeli branch’s owner and franchisee is Omri Padan, It is the same here in the U.S. where an owner of a franchise can decide what he wants to do, just like the the franchisee of two Mcdonald's in Michigan has decided not to sell Halal chicken anymore.

The whole situation has NOTHING to do with McDonalds at the corporate level: it is the decision of the franchise owner, Mr. Pedan.

And apparently, Mr Pedan is breaking the law - just as he would if he ordered his employees to turn away Arab or Muslim or any other customers.

Ariel is a thriving place with a large university. Lots of money to spend elsewhere. The only food I would eat at McDs is its subs.

Acutually, not so much within the law.

Ariel is defined by the Israeli law as part of Israel, and Mr. Pedan, as Israeli, is obligated to behave according to the Israeli law.

Since Ariel is defined by our government as part of Israel, his behavior is considered unjustified discrimination. he cannot really do that, in the same way that he cannot tell an Arab or a Black man to enter his restaurant.

Again, this is not a policy of McDonalds world-wide boycott, but a boycott of an Israeli leftist on other Israelis.

There is nothing legal here.

Noone can force a business to open up where they choose to not do so. Its called Freedom.

The whole situation has NOTHING to do with McDonalds at the corporate level: it is the decision of the franchise owner, Mr. Pedan.

And apparently, Mr Pedan is breaking the law - just as he would if he ordered his employees to turn away Arab or Muslim or any other customers.

He is choosing to have a soul and a heart and morality!

He is choosing to have a soul and a heart and morality!

yeah, yeah, whatever - but Pedan is not 'McDonalds': he's just one franchisee. I'd think an attorney would understand the difference between a corporate policy and an individual franchisee's choices.

Forum List

Back