McDonalds' Higher Wages = Higher Sales...

Rightwingers/Republicans will deny, deny, deny - but the proof is in the puddin'.

Fortune.com: McDonald's CEO Says Better Worker Benefits Boosting U.S. Sales
by Phil Wahba
April 22, 2016, 3:19 PM EDT

<snip>

“The improvements we made to our compensation and benefits package to employees in U.S.-company operated restaurants, along with expanding Archways to Opportunity … have resulted in lower crew turnover and higher customers satisfaction scores,” Easterbrook said.

<snip>

Pay attention to what thery're DOING, not what their SAYING!!!!!!

"

• McDonald's will upgrade 1,000 stores with kiosk and mobile order technology every quarter for the next eight to nine quarters.
    • International markets like Canada, Australia and the U.K. are already fully integrated with kiosk service and mobile ordering.
    • McDonald's has also been exploring delivery in the U.S. in an attempt to meet customer demand and changes in how consumers want to get their food.
As McDonald's MCD seeks to modernize its business, the company is placing a big bet on mobile and other tech platforms.

McDonald's has been systematically adding self-service ordering kiosks and table service to stores as it works to "build a better McDonald's."

"What we're finding is when people dwell more, they select more," CEO Steve Easterbrook told CNBC on "Squawk on the Street" Monday. "There's a little bit of an average check boost."

In fact, the company plans to upgrade 1,000 stores with this technology every quarter for the next eight to nine quarters.

McDonald's to add self-order kiosks to 1,000 stores each quarter
They have also made drastic changes to their menu to increase sales. These include serving breakfast anytime and a burger made with fresh burger instead of a frozen patties.

Which has NOTHING to do with a $15 wage OR the robots replacing the real "people".
There are no robots working for McD's. A kiosk is not a robot it doesn't move.

They're researching robots to make the food. They will get there
Like I give two shitz.

McDonalds sucks. They're slow, they constantly make mistakes, and their food sucks. Burger King is awesome.

Burger king fries suck , been that way since the mid 90s..thats why I never go there and Wendy's fucked up their fries also 6 years ago? Screw Wendy's also..

Problem with Burger King is that everything tastes like Burger King. I tried a few breakfast items several years ago, and they tasted like Burger King. Many times I will get an onion ring substitute instead of the fries with a meal.

McDonalds sucks. They're slow, they constantly make mistakes, and their food sucks. Burger King is awesome.

Burger king fries suck , been that way since the mid 90s..thats why I never go there and Wendy's fucked up their fries also 6 years ago? Screw Wendy's also..
I love BK fries. Better than that skinny shit they serve at MCD's.

How old are you? Burger king fries was much better in the 80s and mid 90s

I am a fry conisuer , if a place has sucky fries it doesn't matter how good the burger or Italian beef/hot dogs are..

I am a fry conisuer , if a place has sucky fries it doesn't matter how good the burger or Italian beef/hot dogs are..
For cheap their good.
I prefer 5 guys fries. But they're expensive.

Problem with Burger King is that everything tastes like Burger King. I tried a few breakfast items several years ago, and they tasted like Burger King. Many times I will get an onion ring substitute instead of the fries with a meal.

Yup that's what I do when I have a taste for a whopper , I will get onion rings..and with Arbys potato cakes.

For cheap their good.
I prefer 5 guys fries. But they're expensive.

I never been there.we have a bunch of cook outs in the south..its cheap also..

Pay attention to what thery're DOING, not what their SAYING!!!!!!

"

• McDonald's will upgrade 1,000 stores with kiosk and mobile order technology every quarter for the next eight to nine quarters.
    • International markets like Canada, Australia and the U.K. are already fully integrated with kiosk service and mobile ordering.
    • McDonald's has also been exploring delivery in the U.S. in an attempt to meet customer demand and changes in how consumers want to get their food.
As McDonald's MCD seeks to modernize its business, the company is placing a big bet on mobile and other tech platforms.

McDonald's has been systematically adding self-service ordering kiosks and table service to stores as it works to "build a better McDonald's."

"What we're finding is when people dwell more, they select more," CEO Steve Easterbrook told CNBC on "Squawk on the Street" Monday. "There's a little bit of an average check boost."

In fact, the company plans to upgrade 1,000 stores with this technology every quarter for the next eight to nine quarters.

McDonald's to add self-order kiosks to 1,000 stores each quarter
They have also made drastic changes to their menu to increase sales. These include serving breakfast anytime and a burger made with fresh burger instead of a frozen patties.

Which has NOTHING to do with a $15 wage OR the robots replacing the real "people".
There are no robots working for McD's. A kiosk is not a robot it doesn't move.

They're researching robots to make the food. They will get there
Like I give two shitz.

Yep. You hate the poor. You just want their votes

Did you ever go to the store and notice those self-checkout lines? In our store, they replaced four workers with scanners alone and only one lady to oversee the process and address the problems. That's three people who lost a job.

Our McDonald's has a person that takes your order and punches it into the computer. If it's push button ordering, that's a person that lost their job. Then you have people running around making french fries, pouring drinks, getting the order together. If those people are replaced by machines, then those humans lost a job.

A business doesn't invest in automation unless it means less payroll; less costs. A kiosk to order food probably costs a few thousand dollars; a one time cost. A human is a consistent cost that you have to pay every week. The kiosk probably breaks even in four or five months. After that, it's free labor.

In your scenario, what he argued was that for the three people who lost their jobs (four replaced by one), the scanning company hired more than three people to support the scanners. The man is truly a moron

Most of those things are built with automation as well. I don't think we created more jobs by hiring people to assemble backhoes than we lost ditch diggers. i don't think the people that make refrigerators are more people than we used to use for ice delivery for your ice box.

Several years ago American companies started to purchase screws and bolts from China. The American companies lost a lot of business or shut down altogether. I could say that many jobs were created, and that would be true. What isn't true is that more jobs were created. It's always a net loss.

Here's the part you're missing. When the prices dropped, the consumers had more money in their pockets. Ultimately they either invested or spent that money. And that created more net jobs than it cost.

The fact is the world IS changing. Embracing that is what made America winners through history. Fighting it means you lose the jobs now anyway and you don't replace those jobs with more jobs in the future.

Unless I misunderstood you

The consumer had more money in their pockets provided their wages were stable. The problem is that it's a "first they came after the Jews, but I was not speak up because I was not Jewish."

Eventually this obsession by the American consumer of the cheapest price hits home. One day it will come after your wages because the products you make are too expensive, and your customers too will opt to buy Chinese.

We need a whole new attitude change in this country when it comes to purchasing. What it's like now (and has been for the past few decades) is I don't car about quality, I care about price. The lowest price I can pay for my goods, the better, and I don't care how many Americans I put out of work.

You missed my point. Would you pay $10 or $15 for the same thing? $10, right? Why? You still have $5 you wouldn't have had. What I'm saying is when you spend or invest that $5 , THAT creates more jobs.

And the second part is that eventually if you force consumers to spend the $15, that government propping up of prices isn't sustainable. Consumers don't want to overpay. Eventually the product you overpaid for goes away anyway.

Economic efficiency is what made America right. Tariffs are taxes on consumers. And they make our corporations sick, not healthy, because we're protecting the inefficient ones from competition

What I'm saying is that it's a vicious circle. One doesn't work without the other.

I go to Sears and get a shopping cart full of goods. The cart full of goods cost me $150.00. If I get the same cart full at Walmart, it only costs me $120.00. I save 30 bucks.

However if I keep shopping at Walmart, wages and benefits go down for US workers which will eventually catch up with me, and that 30 bucks I saved is lost in wages and benefits I didn't get down the road.

Walmart is very controlling. They demand the lowest price possible for the products they buy. One of our customers used to send out trailers and trailers of wrapping products to another customer of ours who produced products for Walmart. I remember times when we hauled between 10 and 15 trailers a month or more. Then Walmart demanded lower prices that our first customer couldn't provide them. They claimed they'd be breaking even or even producing at a loss for the price they wanted the products. So they completely stopped using that first customer. That costs jobs.

Another place we went to made plastic parts our customer used for Walmart products. Again, they demanded lower prices than the company could provide, now that company is nearly empty. They have four docks and I remember waiting in line for a dock for two hours. Today, nobody is in the docks and I'm probably the only one that went there all day. The parking lot used to be filled with employee cars. Now the parking lot is completely empty.

Fortunately for us, they used another customer of ours instead, so we didn't lose any work, but all the employees at the plastic place no longer work there. Our other customer invested in automation, and I don't have to tell you how many jobs were lost because of that investment.

Fortunately for us, they used another customer of ours instead, so we didn't lose any work, but all the employees at the plastic place no longer work there. Our other customer invested in automation, and I don't have to tell you how many jobs were lost because of that investment.

You completely ignored that the $30 the customers saved in your example was greater wealth for Wal-Mart's customers. Wherever that money went created jobs.

1) WalMart resells items. They don't create any value. So when they saved $30, they still got exactly the same things. They were wealthier.

2) The work as you pointed out went somewhere else, it didn't go away

3) The automation was going to happen anyway

4) Yes, the company that went under lost. But consumers a whole benefited and the economy overall benefited. Change is constant in capitalism. You win by embracing it, not fighting it. That's what we did as a country that made us the greatest economic power on the planet. Now we've succumbed to fear and fight change and have doomed ourselves to Europe's fate of stagnant growth

You completely ignored that the $30 the customers saved in your example was greater wealth for Wal-Mart's customers. Wherever that money went created jobs.

1) WalMart resells items. They don't create any value. So when they saved $30, they still got exactly the same things. They were wealthier.

4) Yes, the company that went under lost. But consumers a whole benefited and the economy overall benefited. Change is constant in capitalism. You win by embracing it, not fighting it. That's what we did as a country that made us the greatest economic power on the planet. Now we've succumbed to fear and fight change and have doomed ourselves to Europe's fate of stagnant growth

Correct, and it's going to keep going down this path until there are so few blue collar jobs left that they all pay minimum wage.

Producers can't make products that people won't buy, so it's entirely in the hands of the American consumer. If all we are going to buy is cheap products, then the only way American companies can compete with overseas companies is to pay labor as little as they can or invest in automation wiping out those blue collar jobs.

The way things are going, I'm glad I'll be off this planet in 40 years or less. I would hate to be a young person today with no ability to get a skill and purely dependent on blue collar work.

Correct, and it's going to keep going down this path until there are so few blue collar jobs left that they all pay minimum wage.

Producers can't make products that people won't buy, so it's entirely in the hands of the American consumer. If all we are going to buy is cheap products, then the only way American companies can compete with overseas companies is to pay labor as little as they can or invest in automation wiping out those blue collar jobs.

The way things are going, I'm glad I'll be off this planet in 40 years or less. I would hate to be a young person today with no ability to get a skill and purely dependent on blue collar work.

This argument right here is part of why Trump's pushing tariffs. He believes that it'll entice folks to buy from American companies if the foreign companies are made to charge more. It's like... the "buy American" (or "buy <state>") campaigns on steroids.

I'm kinda whatever on it all personally. I'm more a "national" free trade person than just free trade. I think we have every right to fight for American businesses to make as much profit from foreign sales as the foreign businesses make off american sales. Especially if the goal is to bring businesses back to America. If Trump hits the margins right businesses will have to choose between national economies as to where they base; and America will win that battle - which means more business tax dollars to our gov and more jobs for our peeps. Yes, there'll be a slight adjustment on prices, but I don't think that increase outweighs the, albeit hopeful, benefits to America when all is said and done.

I was right. McD's is replacing humans with robots.

McDonald's Is Planning to Add Self-Serve Kiosks Across the U.S.
It's not taking anyone's job because the kiosk is used to enhance order taking during peak periods, the cashier still has to take yer cash...

Wrong, you pay by credit or debit card.

They have these all over Europe. There is always one person taking orders. If you're paying in cash, you go to them. But they don't get much work. Most Europeans are used to ordering at kiosks. America will too.

This would have happened anyway, but leftists like you are killing jobs way faster than would have happened if you'd have left it alone to free markets. By rocketing the costs of people, you hastened the elimination of people
If you have neither plastic forms of payment you still see the cashier.
How many people don't have a debit card or credit card? I haven't used cash to buy something in 6 months.

Cash is mostly what I use, but then again, most of my tenants pay me in cash so I have to get rid of it anyway. Now that I'm short because one tenant moved, I go to the ATM for cash instead of using my card all the time. Every time you use your card, you expose your number and identity to a number of people including computer hackers who gather information on millions of people once they figure out how to break in a stores main computer.

Unless somebody points a gun at you or you lose your wallet or purse, cash is the safest way to pay for anything.
Or you get pulled over by a cop and they decide to steal your cash.

You're safe with your credit card as long as you report to the credit card company right away if you see any reason to be concerned

This is true, but armed with that information, they can get other information about you as well from other companies. Identity theft is a big thing today. I don't take any chances. I get multiple credit card offers in the mail every week; pre-approved and an application with your name already on it. I don't just throw them away, I shred any application or anything with my name on it. I even shred my utility bills that have my account number.

You have every right. But to back up, Moonbat said no one will lose their job because apparently in his mind everyone pays with cash. You've not disputed that, you agree most people actually don't pay with cash, correct?
Just by leasing the kiosk they now help employ more people than before the kiosk, so yet again your logic is nonexistent in business matters.

HTF did they employ more people than less with kiosks? Do you really think that's what businesses do, find ways to pay more people money to get the same amount of work done?
Now a technician must pull maintenance..or they lease the machine and someone is hired to maintain the machine...There are still cashiers, please tell me who lost their job over it...
You're adorable.

This argument right here is part of why Trump's pushing tariffs. He believes that it'll entice folks to buy from American companies if the foreign companies are made to charge more. It's like... the "buy American" (or "buy <state>") campaigns on steroids.

I'm kinda whatever on it all personally. I'm more a "national" free trade person than just free trade. I think we have every right to fight for American businesses to make as much profit from foreign sales as the foreign businesses make off american sales. Especially if the goal is to bring businesses back to America. If Trump hits the margins right businesses will have to choose between national economies as to where they base; and America will win that battle - which means more business tax dollars to our gov and more jobs for our peeps. Yes, there'll be a slight adjustment on prices, but I don't think that increase outweighs the, albeit hopeful, benefits to America when all is said and done.

I agree but I don't know if forcing the American people to buy American products is all that American. I would like to see a change in the American consumer; something along the lines of education on how other countries maintain their labor force by buying their own products.

In some ways we are the most generous country in the world, in other ways we are the most selfish. It's like we are mesmerized by getting goods at the lowest price no matter who suffers for it. I would like to see all products sold in this country have a huge stamp on the package saying where it was made. Nobody even looks at that when they go shopping. All they look at is the price.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
If you have neither plastic forms of payment you still see the cashier.
How many people don't have a debit card or credit card? I haven't used cash to buy something in 6 months.

Cash is mostly what I use, but then again, most of my tenants pay me in cash so I have to get rid of it anyway. Now that I'm short because one tenant moved, I go to the ATM for cash instead of using my card all the time. Every time you use your card, you expose your number and identity to a number of people including computer hackers who gather information on millions of people once they figure out how to break in a stores main computer.

Unless somebody points a gun at you or you lose your wallet or purse, cash is the safest way to pay for anything.

I just check my accounts online every day to see if anything looks funny. Just takes a couple of min.

I check only when I pay my bills for the week which is on Sunday. Nobody ever sees my card so it would be difficult for them to get my number. If I order something online, I would never use my debit card. I use a credit card that will cover me for possible fraud.

I never use my debit card other than ATMs. Though they have increased protection for Debit cards. The other thing is that for fraud on your credit card, worst they do is freeze your card. For Debit card, the money is out of your bank account until they put it back. Your mortgage check for example could bounce because of fraud

I have EXACTLY the same protections on my debit card that I have on a credit card. My mother's WAS cloned...the money was back in the account the next day, and the bank offered to overnight(!) a replacement card to her.

Bull shit. EVERY SINGLE TIME I go to McDonalds they cannot get my order right. No one ever asks me to take a survey.

Usually there is a web site on your receipt that you can go to for the survey. They give you a free sandwich every time you take it. It's limited to once a month though.
Sometimes a free sandwich, sometimes just a free iced coffee...but no, not limited to once a month.

Bull shit. EVERY SINGLE TIME I go to McDonalds they cannot get my order right. No one ever asks me to take a survey.

Usually there is a web site on your receipt that you can go to for the survey. They give you a free sandwich every time you take it. It's limited to once a month though.
Sometimes a free sandwich, sometimes just a free iced coffee...but no, not limited to once a month.

That's what it says on every receipt I get from them. Maybe it's different in different places.

Forum List

Back