McDonalds' Higher Wages = Higher Sales...

Automation will happen at $15/hour. It will happen at $10/hour. It will happen at $5/hour,

as long as automation costs less.

If the minimum wage was a buck an hour, and replacing someone with a machine cost fifty cents an hour,

that person is gone.

This is true which is why there is a tipping point. Maybe it is ten bucks an hour......maybe fifteen.. but whatever it is, once the line is crossed and it's cheaper to automate, that's when a business owner makes the decision to do so.

If the wages you currently pay end up being cheaper than the investment in automation, then you keep human workers.

I see the left is ignoring the fact that sales first fell in response to their food tasting like ass, then rose after they improved the menu and offered all day breakfast which is the one area of their menu that remained popular. That sales rose in response to price increases, well only a liberal would believe that.

You should write to the CEO and tell him he's mistaken.

The CEO is playing the game.

McDonald's has been on the liberal black book just like Walmart for the jobs and pay they offer. A good CEO knows that turns off some people in spite of half of the reports being lies. So why not take the success of a brilliant move like all day breakfast and try to attract those customers who bought into that minimum wage crap? Another brilliant move by the CEO, because he knows dupes like you will just buy into it regardless if it makes sense or not.

As long as my Big Mac combo tastes like a big mac combo, I could care less what the workers make or how happy they are with the job. This is what's known as common sense.

Ray what's hilarious...wait for it...is that the gullible libs fell for it :laugh:

Rightwingers/Republicans will deny, deny, deny - but the proof is in the puddin'.

Fortune.com: McDonald's CEO Says Better Worker Benefits Boosting U.S. Sales
by Phil Wahba
April 22, 2016, 3:19 PM EDT

<snip>

“The improvements we made to our compensation and benefits package to employees in U.S.-company operated restaurants, along with expanding Archways to Opportunity … have resulted in lower crew turnover and higher customers satisfaction scores,” Easterbrook said.

<snip>

You're right sir. I'm not buying that bag of "save face in the public eye" bullshit.

It will help them retain workers no doubt but half of those workers need to be shipped back to Mexico anyways.

The employer hires who they wish. That never changes.

They can just as easily let those they hire go just as easily. You live with this notion that things will somehow, magically, still be okay when you start hiking wages for menial jobs such as burger flipping or saying "hello, welcome to McDonald's, may I take your order?"

The thread is about the CEO stating sales have increased due in part to them raising wages. If you have a beef, take it up with him.

BTW, MW has been raised many times over the life of McDonald's and they have survived very well.

Well now some are experimenting with automation. No more woman taking your order, you will go to the kiosk and punch your order in. No more french fry makers, a machine will make the fires, salt them and keep them warm until it gets an order to pack them into the french fry carton. No more extra ice in that pop of yours. The machine puts the exact same amount of ice in each drink.

Every retail space in America has had and expanded self checkouts for years now. It's nothing new and it has nothing to do with wages and everything to do with technological advancements becoming less expensive.

Last edited:
Automation will happen at $15/hour. It will happen at $10/hour. It will happen at $5/hour,

If the minimum wage was a buck an hour, and replacing someone with a machine cost fifty cents an hour,

that person is gone.

This is true which is why there is a tipping point. Maybe it is ten bucks an hour......maybe fifteen.. but whatever it is, once the line is crossed and it's cheaper to automate, that's when a business owner makes the decision to do so.

If the wages you currently pay end up being cheaper than the investment in automation, then you keep human workers.

McDonald's raised wages from $9.10-$9.90 on their own. To suggest that raising the fed MW to $10.10, ( as President Obama has suggested), is some sort of tipping point where total automation is necessary is ridiculous.

Every retail space in America has had and expanded self checkouts for years now. It's nothing new and it has nothing to do with wages and everything to do with technological advancements becoming less expensive.

The cost of expansion (of anything) is an expected, roughly steady cost. A continually rising minimum wage is not.

And because technology has become less expensive, and since the cost of services from the employees is getting more expensive, naturally technology will be used in place of people to cut costs.

It is a brilliant cost cutting measure. It makes perfect sense.

Rightwingers/Republicans will deny, deny, deny - but the proof is in the puddin'.

Fortune.com: McDonald's CEO Says Better Worker Benefits Boosting U.S. Sales
by Phil Wahba
April 22, 2016, 3:19 PM EDT

<snip>

“The improvements we made to our compensation and benefits package to employees in U.S.-company operated restaurants, along with expanding Archways to Opportunity … have resulted in lower crew turnover and higher customers satisfaction scores,” Easterbrook said.

<snip>

Great news, Capitalism works again.

that person is gone.

McDonald's raised wages from $9.10-$9.90 on their own. To suggest that raising the fed MW to $10.10, ( as President Obama has suggested), is some sort of tipping point where total automation is necessary is ridiculous.

Again, I don't know what that tipping point is. I don't have the facts and figures in front of me to figure that out--but the franchise owners do.

The tipping point may be $9.00 an hour. On the other hand, it may be $16.00 per hour; I don't know.

What I do know however is whatever that tipping point is, that's when businesses start replacing workers with machines.

They can just as easily let those they hire go just as easily. You live with this notion that things will somehow, magically, still be okay when you start hiking wages for menial jobs such as burger flipping or saying "hello, welcome to McDonald's, may I take your order?"

The thread is about the CEO stating sales have increased due in part to them raising wages. If you have a beef, take it up with him.

BTW, MW has been raised many times over the life of McDonald's and they have survived very well.

Well now some are experimenting with automation. No more woman taking your order, you will go to the kiosk and punch your order in. No more french fry makers, a machine will make the fires, salt them and keep them warm until it gets an order to pack them into the french fry carton. No more extra ice in that pop of yours. The machine puts the exact same amount of ice in each drink.

Some of what you say is true, but how is increasing wages going to compete with the lowered cost of automation?

If an employer increases wage $1.00 per hour, that's only the pay. There are many other costs associated with that increase.

An employer has to match SS and Medicare contributions by the employee. An increased wage to the employee is an increased cost to those programs for the employer. And what if an employer is providing retirement benefits? That too has to be matched according to employee contributions. Then there is unemployment and workman's compensation insurance that base their rates on the wages of the employee. Vacation, holiday pay, sick pay......all of these are benefits which an increased wage affects when the employer has to pay that out.

I see the left is ignoring the fact that sales first fell in response to their food tasting like ass, then rose after they improved the menu and offered all day breakfast which is the one area of their menu that remained popular. That sales rose in response to price increases, well only a liberal would believe that.

You should write to the CEO and tell him he's mistaken.

The CEO is playing the game.

McDonald's has been on the liberal black book just like Walmart for the jobs and pay they offer. A good CEO knows that turns off some people in spite of half of the reports being lies. So why not take the success of a brilliant move like all day breakfast and try to attract those customers who bought into that minimum wage crap? Another brilliant move by the CEO, because he knows dupes like you will just buy into it regardless if it makes sense or not.

As long as my Big Mac combo tastes like a big mac combo, I could care less what the workers make or how happy they are with the job. This is what's known as common sense.

Ray what's hilarious...wait for it...is that the gullible libs fell for it :laugh:

That's not the funny part, the funny part is they always do, you know, like when Piglosi said that unemployment and food stamp benefits stimulate the economy??? The libs bought that hook, line and sinker. Of course when you asked them if the solution is that we all go on welfare and unemployment, they didn't reply because reality hit them square in the puss.

McDonalds sales improved dramatically after they went to all day breakfast, and returned their Egg McMuffin to the original recipe. This happened last October. Before they raised wages you morons.

Did you tell that to the CEO who cited the breakfast and increased pay as being why? You should probably tell him how to run a business

Again....a statement of fact is not an opinion. Very difficult concept for you I know.
McDonalds's large jump is sales began last October, 6 months before raising salaries and within a month of going all day breakfast.
That is a fact. The CEO can say anything he wants.

I think I'll rely on the CEO knowing more about it than you.

Yes, because it supports your false narrative.
So by you agreeing with the CEO who is factually incorrect, and easily shown as incorrect, - you are knowingly supporting a false narrative. Which I know for you - is a daily thing.

If it was so easy to show how he is incorrect you would've revealed the big secret by now. Instead you keep saying it's incorrect and think that is proof.

The cost of expansion (of anything) is an expected, roughly steady cost. A continually rising minimum wage is not.

And because technology has become less expensive, and since the cost of services from the employees is getting more expensive, naturally technology will be used in place of people to cut costs.

It is a brilliant cost cutting measure. It makes perfect sense.

After 80 of MW, employers should be prepared for increases. It's not an unknown as you suggest it's part of the equation.

that person is gone.

Again, I don't know what that tipping point is. I don't have the facts and figures in front of me to figure that out--but the franchise owners do.

The tipping point may be $9.00 an hour. On the other hand, it may be $16.00 per hour; I don't know.

What I do know however is whatever that tipping point is, that's when businesses start replacing workers with machines.

Can you read?
McDonald's raised their wages to $9.90. How can $9 then be a tipping point?

that person is gone.

Can you read?
See my post at #135.

Looks like the tipping point is between $9 and $9.90.

Some of what you say is true, but how is increasing wages going to compete with the lowered cost of automation?

If an employer increases wage $1.00 per hour, that's only the pay. There are many other costs associated with that increase.

An employer has to match SS and Medicare contributions by the employee. An increased wage to the employee is an increased cost to those programs for the employer. And what if an employer is providing retirement benefits? That too has to be matched according to employee contributions. Then there is unemployment and workman's compensation insurance that base their rates on the wages of the employee. Vacation, holiday pay, sick pay......all of these are benefits which an increased wage affects when the employer has to pay that out.

You possess no ability for critical thought.
If we use your logic formula then wages can never be raised by anyone at anytime lest a percentage of workers lose out to automation. Obviously history does not reflect that thinking.

that person is gone.

Can you read?
See my post at #135.

Looks like the tipping point is between $9 and $9.90.

Derp! Why would they voluntarily raise wages to a level that is untenable?
No, it looks like they're testing new technology.

Customers have no interest in what burger flippers make. There is no customer satisfaction when the kitchen crew gets a raise.

McDonalds will move to automation, like everyone else. Then there will be more articles about how happy customers are.

personally i dont care if a person or a kiosk takes my money

Forum List

Back