Media: fairness, focus and overkill

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
I thought this was an interesting opinion piece on the media...and particular in it's incredibly negative coverage of Trump, which Trump then never ceases to rail about. For Trump, the latest coverage has just been "another terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day"

A Harvard study reported some 80% of his coverage has been negative - an unprecedent number for an American president. Conservatives are hooting that it's evidence of unfairness in the media.

Isn’t that terribly unfair?

Here’s the author's carefully nuanced answer:
Hell, no.

That’s because when we consider negative vs. positive coverage of an elected official, we’re asking the wrong question.

She goes on to explain and to pose the questions that are really relevent (as opposed to "fairness"):

Perspective | Is media coverage of Trump too negative? You’re asking the wrong question.

The president’s supporters often say his accomplishments get short shrift. But let’s face it: Politicians have no right to expect equally balanced positive and negative coverage, or anything close to it. If a president is doing a rotten job, it’s the duty of the press to report how and why he’s doing a rotten job.

The idea of balance is suspect on its face. Should positive coverage be provided, as if it were a birthright, to a president who consistently lies, who has spilled classified information to an adversary, and who fired the FBI director who was investigating his administration?

Certainly not. That’s why efforts like a New York Times op-ed’s pitch to “say something nice about Donald Trump” is so absurd, even if it was meant as tongue-in-cheek.

It’s reasonable, however — in fact, crucial — to consider some different questions: those involving fairness, focus and overkill.

●When news organizations get something wrong, do they acknowledge and correct it quickly? Or do they just move on and hope nobody notices?

●Do journalists allow the president and his administration to respond to criticism and give his response prominent placement?

●Do news sites give serious, sustained attention to policy issues as well as publishing innumerable hot takes about the personality-driven dust-up of the moment?

It's not a matter of looking for balanced coverage as a matter of fact news should not even be measured that way because it's dishonest. You want a yardstick to measure news by how about honest. Don't cheat me with the fastest news service serve me with the most honest news service.

And we are not getting that I don't give a shit what network you watch.

His coverage has been mostly negative because he brings negative attention to himself. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. All he wants is attention. Think of a kid who wants attention, even it means doing something to get negative attention...that's how Trump is. He's still just a child trying to get attention.

The president’s supporters often say his accomplishments get short shrift. But let’s face it: Politicians have no right to expect equally balanced positive and negative coverage, or anything close to it. If a president is doing a rotten job, it’s the duty of the press to report how and why he’s doing a rotten job.
In her effort to justify the media's blatant bias, the writer clearly demonstrates that she doesn't understand the difference between fact and opinion.

"...he's doing a rotten job". That is obviously opinion, and she doesn't even realize it. She thinks it's "a fact". Like 2+2=4, or water is wet.

The media is now afflicted with the same ignorance.

In her effort to justify the media's blatant bias, the writer clearly demonstrates that she doesn't understand the difference between fact and opinion.

"...he's doing a rotten job". That is obviously opinion, and she doesn't even realize it. She thinks it's "a fact". Like 2+2=4, or water is wet.

The media is now afflicted with the same ignorance.

That is her opinion - agreed.

(It's an opinion piece)

But I think she makes really good points in her bullets - and those are the questions that might best determine a particular media source is.

Not quoted, but also in the OP, it mentions that to often now, media focus' on personality over policy.

His coverage has been mostly negative because he brings negative attention to himself. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. All he wants is attention. Think of a kid who wants attention, even it means doing something to get negative attention...that's how Trump is. He's still just a child trying to get attention.
And the press is composed mostly of libs. I n an hhonest world this thread premise would hold it is however refuted by the non-existant coverage of the "bad" policy or decisions Obama made. You cant even argue his deeds match his coverage.

There is - or should be - no doubt that this president has repeatedly lied about things. Not, the kinds of lies you would expect of a president trying to sell policy, or shade the truth - but lies over ridiculous stuff that he then contradicts sometimes several times with several different stories.

How should the media handle stuff like that?

And the press is composed mostly of libs. I n an hhonest world this thread premise would hold it is however refuted by the non-existant coverage of the "bad" policy or decisions Obama made. You cant even argue his deeds match his coverage.

There was a shit load of media coverage on the ACA - good and bad. There was also a lot on Syria - good and bad.

There was a shit load of media coverage on the ACA - good and bad. There was also a lot on Syria - good and bad.
most of ACA coverage was good. parroting Admin talking point lies........Obama didnt get into Syria until very end and not much happened,,,try again

I think these should be emphasized...

●When news organizations get something wrong, do they acknowledge and correct it quickly? Or do they just move on and hope nobody notices?

●Do journalists allow the president and his administration to respond to criticism and give his response prominent placement?

●Do news sites give serious, sustained attention to policy issues as well as publishing innumerable hot takes about the personality-driven dust-up of the moment?

On the first one - that is pretty important to me. It's annoying as hell when they are in such a hurry to go to print they can't be bothered to factcheck - but if they print a retraction, promptly - that's a plus. Sometimes all the facts aren't known, or they get it wrong or they are sloppy.

The second point, is, to me,what should be considered fairness - not the balance of pos/neg - but allowing each side to respond with equal prominance.

Third point is...well...just sad eh?

most of ACA coverage was good. parroting Admin talking point lies........Obama didnt get into Syria until very end and not much happened,,,try again

You might not have followed it all. Syria for instance - a lot of was made over Obama's "line in the sand".

It's not a matter of looking for balanced coverage as a matter of fact news should not even be measured that way because it's dishonest. You want a yardstick to measure news by how about honest. Don't cheat me with the fastest news service serve me with the most honest news service.

How do you rate "honest" when we as a public can't even agree on "truth"?

Documented facts
Recorded facts
Hell it's easy today then it used to be. Did you see the spin on Comey and his testimony?
I watched his testimony I heard the words Donald Trump was never under investigation!
Did I see that on all the news stations? No! But it should have been.

There is - or should be - no doubt that this president has repeatedly lied about things. Not, the kinds of lies you would expect of a president trying to sell policy, or shade the truth - but lies over ridiculous stuff that he then contradicts sometimes several times with several different stories.

How should the media handle stuff like that?

Exactly. Well, according to the conservatives here, they should be fawning all over his every word. Why? Who knows.

And you post because of why? So nobody will read you? Of course not! Every member here is a attention whore of some size.

Documented facts
Recorded facts
Hell it's easy today then it used to be. Did you see the spin on Comey and his testimony?
I watched his testimony I heard the words Donald Trump was never under investigation!
Did I see that on all the news stations? No! But it should have been.

You also clearly did not hear a lot of OTHER words in that testimony, which was itself nuanced.

That statement was, in fact on the news - google it, if you don't believe me. I certainly heard it.

What you leave out is the other stuff - the other "truths".

So if a news article focus' on what YOU consider to be "truth" it leaves out a lot of other important stuff...is it honest?

I thought this was an interesting opinion piece on the media...and particular in it's incredibly negative coverage of Trump, which Trump then never ceases to rail about. For Trump, the latest coverage has just been "another terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day"

A Harvard study reported some 80% of his coverage has been negative - an unprecedent number for an American president. Conservatives are hooting that it's evidence of unfairness in the media.

Hell, no.

That’s because when we consider negative vs. positive coverage of an elected official, we’re asking the wrong question.

She goes on to explain and to pose the questions that are really relevent (as opposed to "fairness"):

Perspective | Is media coverage of Trump too negative? You’re asking the wrong question.

The idea of balance is suspect on its face. Should positive coverage be provided, as if it were a birthright, to a president who consistently lies, who has spilled classified information to an adversary, and who fired the FBI director who was investigating his administration?

Certainly not. That’s why efforts like a New York Times op-ed’s pitch to “say something nice about Donald Trump” is so absurd, even if it was meant as tongue-in-cheek.

It’s reasonable, however — in fact, crucial — to consider some different questions: those involving fairness, focus and overkill.

Those last three questions are important, I think, and I don't know the answer. It seems there was a lot of discussion of the whys and wherefores of the healthcare bill and the travel ban e.o.'s and has been discussion on the Wall and border security/illegal immigration. I would say the press has been more negative about these policies than they would have been about liberal policies, but they seem to cover the administration's explanations, like them or not.

The part that seems unfair to me is the continual snickering and belittling of the man personally. The gossipy leaks by "anonymous" sources tattling about things he did or said. We all know that once you decide a person is worthy of derision, you will find a way to interpret everything they say and do in that light. It's corrosive and it's impossible to defend against. I do think some of that is going on here.

I can't stand the guy, but he's our President and while people may be screaming for HIM to be more "Presidential" it wouldn't hurt for people to be a little more respectful toward the position, if not the man, either.

And now I will go laugh at another Trump joke. I can't help myself. LOL.

And you post because of why? So nobody will read you? Of course not! Every member here is a attention whore of some size.

For me, posting here is mostly procrastination, big time political addiction, and a way to get my thoughts down in writing. I don't post to "get attention," as I know I'll get it anyway and I couldn't give a fuck about it either.

Trump lives for attention. He's the ultimate narcissist, and he'll do whatever it takes to keep the focus on him, even it it means negative attention. There's a saying in PR, that there's no such thing as negative publicity, and that seems to be Trump's personal motto.

Hell, no.

Those last three questions are important, I think, and I don't know the answer. It seems there was a lot of discussion of the whys and wherefores of the healthcare bill and the travel ban e.o.'s and has been discussion on the Wall and border security/illegal immigration. I would say the press has been more negative about these policies than they would have been about liberal policies, but they seem to cover the administration's explanations, like them or not.

The part that seems unfair to me is the continual snickering and belittling of the man personally. The gossipy leaks by "anonymous" sources tattling about things he did or said. We all know that once you decide a person is worthy of derision, you will find a way to interpret everything they say and do in that light. It's corrosive and it's impossible to defend against. I do think some of that is going on here.

I can't stand the guy, but he's our President and while people may be screaming for HIM to be more "Presidential" it wouldn't hurt for people to be a little more respectful toward the position, if not the man, either.

And now I will go laugh at another Trump joke. I can't help myself. LOL.

I think part of that is that unfortunately Trump is his own worst enemy and provides an ever lasting gift of material because he won't shut up where as other presidents would ignore and move on with (good example - Obama and the birther crap, and Bush as well over other issues). I also think the issue of all the leaks is disturbing because it highlights a deeper problem within the administration itself that doesn't look like it's going to get better. It IS corrosive, and it's making too many media sources look like tabloids

[

That is her opinion - agreed.

(It's an opinion piece)

But I think she makes really good points in her bullets - and those are the questions that might best determine a particular media source is.

Not quoted, but also in the OP, it mentions that to often now, media focus' on personality over policy.

So basically, the media provides a false narrative but since that narrative furthers the agenda of the party it is a good thing.

Generally they blatantly lie to cover for it. If the lies fall apart the story fades away.

Define "allow." Do leftist press organizations give equal time to opposing views? :lol: Take a particularly sleazy organization like WaPo, if they get called on their lies by the administration they will NOT print the rebuttal in it's original format. but instead pick it apart word by word to continue to the narrative they began with.

Are you fucking kidding me? News sites give highly biased opinions on policy issues that further the agenda of those organizations. Particularly the Soros left.

Forum List

Back