Media Turning Against Kamala Harris... Why Harris’ Barrier-Breaking Bid Feels Nothing Like Hillary Clinton’s

crossbody

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2024

Why Harris’ Barrier-Breaking Bid Feels Nothing Like Hillary Clinton’s​

Katie Glueck
Mon, August 26, 2024, 7:05 AM CDT

Many Democratic women credit Clinton’s candidacies with helping Americans grasp what a female presidential nominee might look and sound like, giving Harris running room to define herself more broadly this time around. (Of course, Clinton — a former first lady, senator and secretary of state — hardly reduced her campaign to her gender, either.)

“The focus today is, it seems to be on a discussion really about a much more holistic view of identity, and I think that’s important for where we are as a country,” said Gov. Maura Healey, the first woman and first openly LGBTQ+ person to be elected governor of Massachusetts, who also emphasized that “representation really matters.”

Clinton, she added, “broke that glass ceiling.”

In a campaign in which Trump, a white man, has already tried to question Harris’ racial identity, Democrats are bracing for sexist and racist attacks on Harris.

This past week, Michelle Obama, the former first lady, warned her party against complacency, saying that there were many “who are ready to question and criticize every move Kamala makes, who are eager to spread those lies, who don’t want to vote for a woman.”

“We cannot indulge our anxieties about whether this country will elect someone like Kamala, instead of doing everything we can to get someone like Kamala elected,” she said.

So far, Trump has struggled to press a consistent and effective message against Harris, but leading Democrats do not bank on that lasting.

On Friday, at least, Trump — who relies on the support of social conservatives and has said he is “proudly the person responsible” for overturning Roe v. Wade — seemed to acknowledge that on the issue of abortion rights, the Democrats had put him on defense.

“My Administration,” he insisted on Truth Social, “will be great for women and their reproductive rights.”

Republican policies, they argue, have had disastrous and once-unthinkable consequences for the health and autonomy of women and their families since the overturning of Roe v. Wade. A second term for former President Donald Trump, they warn, would be even more dangerous.

Fact of the matter is, and I hope Trump remembers to point this out, abortions are actually UP since the Dobbs decision, proving that once and for all, RvW was not only unnecessary, unconstitutional, but by and large, people who still want to get abortions still find ways of having them.

I mean, is there a single reported birth by a woman who said she wanted to abort but was FORCED to have her child?

Forum List

Back