Megachurch Pastor Calls On Christians To Defy COVID-19 Guidelines Even If It Means Death

The day that we walk through the valley of the shadow of death we will fear no evil for God is with us. Then he said, ‘fear not because I am with you’

And then the Bible teaches us to be absent from our bodies to be present with the Lord. So like any revolutionary, zealot or pure religious person, death looks to him like a welcome friend.

It is fitting to post this in "Religion and Ethics" with the emphasis on ethics. The pastor has a right to believe as he does, and perhaps even to sacrifice his life for those beliefs. However, he is a charismatic and persuasive person who has a lot of influence with his "flock" Like any group or demographic, you have people who are vulnerable and impressionable who will obey him.

In reading this, I could not help but to think of Jonestown:

https://www.britannica.com/event/Jonestown-massacre
Jonestown
, location of the mass murder-suicide of the California-based Peoples Temple cult at the behest of their charismatic but paranoid leader, Jim Jones, in Jonestown agricultural commune, Guyana, on November 18, 1978. The death toll exceeded 900, making it one of the largest mass deaths in American history.

I am hard pressed to see how Tony Spell is all that different than Jim Jones. Spell uses the power of the pulpit- as did jones- to manipulate and control his followers. Spell is probobly mentally ill, as was Jones and both have or had a need to be in control at all costs.

This is one of those non-denominational churches and I can guarantee you this loon is not ordained. So. When the really crazy Muslim sects led by the really crazy imams say their stuff, you're also all over them right?

I am really looking forward to the start of Ramadan on April 23rd

No, I do not support any religious death cult and I would and have spoken out against radical Muslims. But most Muslims are not radical, and most Christian are not either as I have readily acknowledged. So stop trying to bait me with your bullshit .

Okay so let's leave it at this: I don't think it's a good idea to go to church at this time depending especially on where you are. It's Good Friday. My church is having a virtual prayer meeting in an hour. But no church time meeting together.

However, Americans of faith have the RIGHT to meet together even if others think that's imprudent.

Do you also think that Americans have the right to run red lights and not use seat belts? It's not just about the health of people who are defying social distancing. It's about all of those who might get sick because of them, not to mention the emotional devastation of those close to them and the economic impact on the rest of us.

Are red lights and seat belts in the Constitution?

And you think you're savvy enough to handle fallacies correctly. SURE

The day that we walk through the valley of the shadow of death we will fear no evil for God is with us. Then he said, ‘fear not because I am with you’

And then the Bible teaches us to be absent from our bodies to be present with the Lord. So like any revolutionary, zealot or pure religious person, death looks to him like a welcome friend.

It is fitting to post this in "Religion and Ethics" with the emphasis on ethics. The pastor has a right to believe as he does, and perhaps even to sacrifice his life for those beliefs. However, he is a charismatic and persuasive person who has a lot of influence with his "flock" Like any group or demographic, you have people who are vulnerable and impressionable who will obey him.

Jonestown
, location of the mass murder-suicide of the California-based Peoples Temple cult at the behest of their charismatic but paranoid leader, Jim Jones, in Jonestown agricultural commune, Guyana, on November 18, 1978. The death toll exceeded 900, making it one of the largest mass deaths in American history.

I am hard pressed to see how Tony Spell is all that different than Jim Jones. Spell uses the power of the pulpit- as did jones- to manipulate and control his followers. Spell is probobly mentally ill, as was Jones and both have or had a need to be in control at all costs.

This is one of those non-denominational churches and I can guarantee you this loon is not ordained. So. When the really crazy Muslim sects led by the really crazy imams say their stuff, you're also all over them right?

No, I do not support any religious death cult and I would and have spoken out against radical Muslims. But most Muslims are not radical, and most Christian are not either as I have readily acknowledged. So stop trying to bait me with your bullshit .

Okay so let's leave it at this: I don't think it's a good idea to go to church at this time depending especially on where you are. It's Good Friday. My church is having a virtual prayer meeting in an hour. But no church time meeting together.

However, Americans of faith have the RIGHT to meet together even if others think that's imprudent.

Do you also think that Americans have the right to run red lights and not use seat belts? It's not just about the health of people who are defying social distancing. It's about all of those who might get sick because of them, not to mention the emotional devastation of those close to them and the economic impact on the rest of us.

Thank you for admitting that you think that you have the right to run red lights regardless of who else suffers from your actions. That's pretty fucked up.

Jonestown

Is the right to lead people to their death in the constitution?

Jonestown

The Jihadis will gather in big groups to roast their Iftars and libs won't say a thing. Muslims are just a lot higher on the food chain than those of the Judeo-Christian faith.

That is a boatload of bizarre bovine excrement

• Thanks
Reactions: JLW

Jonestown

Tu Quoque Fallacy dismisses itself. Next in line please.

I am not saying you have NO RIGHT to argue the case. I'm saying your agenda is wholly exposed. Which is not Tu Quoque, you armchair philosopher

I don't have an "agenda". Other than pointing out self-suiciding fallacies, as I just did. You're off topic.
Btw I have no need of your "approval" to opine. Buy a ladder and get over yourself.

Oh I'm sure, like all mindless Leftists, you defend Muslims to the nth degree. So yes, a definite agenda, even if it makes a flaming hypocrite of you.

Actually that's both a Strawman *AND* a Tu Quoque, so you've just fallacied yourself into oblivious.

NOTHING in this thread is about "Muslims" and there ain't a damn thing you can do about that. NOR did I post anything about "politics", so "the left" is yet another Strawman. Hot Strawman-on-Strawman action.

Jonestown

I am not saying you have NO RIGHT to argue the case. I'm saying your agenda is wholly exposed. Which is not Tu Quoque, you armchair philosopher

Apparently you do not understand a Quoque Fallacy

I know Internet Philosophers shout "FALLACY" as if anyone here is trying to construct philosophical arguments.

Apparently you have no idea as to how to construct any sort of argument .

Jonestown

I don't have an "agenda". Other than pointing out self-suiciding fallacies, as I just did. You're off topic.
Btw I have no need of your "approval" to opine. Buy a ladder and get over yourself.

Oh I'm sure, like all mindless Leftists, you defend Muslims to the nth degree. So yes, a definite agenda, even if it makes a flaming hypocrite of you.

Actually that's both a Strawman *AND* a Tu Quoque, so you've just fallacied yourself into oblivious.

NOTHING in this thread is about "Muslims" and there ain't a damn thing you can do about that.

Not to mention a red herring intended to derail the actual issue.. But that seems to be the best that she can do.

Jonestown

NOTHING in this thread is about "Muslims" and there ain't a damn thing you can do about that.

Not to mention a red herring intended to derail the actual issue.. But that seems to be the best that she can do.

Not to also mention ad hom. I didn't even bring that up.

Jonestown

Religious whack-jobs are often guilty of whack-jobbery.

Jonestown

Thank you for admitting that you think that you have the right to run red lights regardless of who else suffers from your actions. That's pretty fucked up.

Um....whoosh right over your head. DRIVING is not a Constitutional right. If you run red lights (seat belts is another story), you do not have the RIGHT to have a license. Again, it is not protected in the Constitution.

But guess what is?

FREEDOM OF RELIGION

Jonestown

I know Internet Philosophers shout "FALLACY" as if anyone here is trying to construct philosophical arguments.

I am telling you they give liberals a cheat sheet of "FALLACIES" and they think this make them sound smart so they crop dust all over internet forums

It's embarrassing. For you.

Jonestown

Not to also mention ad hom. I didn't even bring that up.

Right! An appeal to hypocrisy is actually a type of ad hom.

Jonestown

I am telling you they give liberals a cheat sheet of "FALLACIES" and they think this make them sound smart so they crop dust all over internet forums

Give it a damned rest! State your argument in favor of the preacher's leading his flock to slaughter or shut the fuck up

Jonestown

Huge difference here. In Jons town anyone who diddnt drink the cool-Aid was shot. In this case parishioners can just say "Na".

Jonestown

Zackly, Jim Jones is the immediate first thought, What the point of these death-seeking imbeciles of pseudoreligious dystopia might be, boggles the mind.

Of course he has the right to his beliefs whether genuine or not, but that was never in question here. What was/is in question is his "right" to perpetuate a mass pandemic just to sate his own ego. Perhaps the clueless cleric is in need of a refresher course on the Deadly Sin of Pride.
I thought they'd already arrested him once. Maybe they shouldn't let him bail out next time.

Almighty God held his tremendous Sermon on the Mount before multitudes during a 1st century Leprosy Pandemic.

This isn't "suicide", this is just one preacher's determination that this pandemic is being vastly overhyped.

BTW, Rev. Jim Jones was a devout Religious Leftists in the mold of Jeremiah Wright and Jim Wallis.

Further, categorizing this church as a "megachurch" is inflammatory to say the least. Libs have been denouncing large churches as if that's "bad" somehow.

There are other churches that are also taking a stand against the governmental authorities. The Bible shows that is actually taking a stand against God:

Romans 13:1,2
Let every person be in subjection to the superior authorities,+ for there is no authority except by God;+ the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God.+ 2 Therefore, whoever opposes* the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will bring judgment against themselves.

Also, this virus is extremely contagious - those people who defy the government's direction to shelter in place will have innocent blood on their hands. They will share the virus with each other, and when they go shopping (etc) give it to others.

Jonestown

Um....whoosh right over your head. DRIVING is not a Constitutional right. If you run red lights (seat belts is another story), you do not have the RIGHT to have a license. Again, it is not protected in the Constitution.

But guess what is?

FREEDOM OF RELIGION

Cut the ridiculous constitutional horseshit. I posed this as a moral and ethical question. Do you or do you not believe that this preacher should be enticing his followers to engage in activities that put them at risk of death? Do you or do you not believe the each of us has a responsibility to behave responsibly in a way that does not put themselves and others risk? Answer the fucking question!

As far as freedom of religion goes, all rights have limitations. There are religions that believe in human and animal sacrifices or the desecration of graves. Does freedom of religion extend to them as well.?

Jonestown

Zackly, Jim Jones is the immediate first thought, What the point of these death-seeking imbeciles of pseudoreligious dystopia might be, boggles the mind.

Of course he has the right to his beliefs whether genuine or not, but that was never in question here. What was/is in question is his "right" to perpetuate a mass pandemic just to sate his own ego. Perhaps the clueless cleric is in need of a refresher course on the Deadly Sin of Pride.
I thought they'd already arrested him once. Maybe they shouldn't let him bail out next time.

Since most clergy are money lovers (Luke 16:14) giving them a huge fine - say 100,000 dollars - might get through to them. Arresting them would do no good unless they are charged with terrorism since non-violent prisoners are being released.

Jonestown

Give it a damned rest! State your argument in favor of the preacher's leading his flock to slaughter or shut the fuck up

You seem to be a little bit melodramatic here. "leading the flock to slaughter" is a wild overstatement.

There is a chance that some of the people might catch the bug, and a slight chance that someone could actually get sick and possibly die. Its a far way from leading people to certain death.

Forum List

Back