Members of this religion live 10 yrs longer

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
What Seventh-Day Adventists Get Right That Lengthens Their Life Expectancy

In an attempt to "reverse engineer longevity," Dan Buettner has spent years researching the parts of the world where people live much longer than average. Most of those locations are outside the United States -- including Sardinia, Italy, and Okinawa, Japan -- but there is one long-living group stateside. It's the Seventh-day Adventists, who live an average of 10 years longer than the American life expectancy of about 79 years.

Buettner, whose work is part of the Blue Zones Project, joined HuffPost Live's Caitlyn Becker on Wednesday to explain what Seventh-day Adventists do right. That includes eating a plant-based diet and having "a social network that reinforces the right behavior." Their religious beliefs are also a big help, he said.

"They take this idea of Sabbath very seriously, so they're decompressing the stress," Buettner said. "About 84 percent of health care dollars are spent because of bad food choices, inactivity and unmanaged stress, and they have these cultural ways of managing stress through their Sabbath."

I have a friend I've known since the 70s who is Seventh Day Adventist. I always really respected him because he walked the talk and didn't preach me. And he was one hell of a good cook.

That just means they go to Hell 10 years later than most others.

"World Churches"? "Spirituality"?

No thanks.

also means that they just get older , I've seen 100 year olds and that doesn't look very good to me !! Course the good social network or friends and good behavior makes good sense even without added longevity .

Forum List

Back