methinks this one “born again” poster posteth too much

turzovka

Gold Member
Nov 20, 2012
All this certainty that who will be saved and who will not.
All this certainty what it takes to be saved and how easily it sounds.
All this certainty that at the moment of death heaven is guaranteed and immediate.

None of that is found in the Catholic Church. We go about our trials more as St. Paul said to “work out our own salvation in fear and trembling.” Philipians 2:12

I will also point out Acts 10:34-35 Opening his mouth, Peter said: "I most certainly understand now that God is not one to show partiality, but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him.

Heaven is not the exclusive domain of the sincere Christian.

Nor is Scripture the be all and end all of our Lord witnessing to the world. The Church has as much or more authority than Holy Scripture itself. As Jesus said Himself in Matthew 16!

Finally, purgatory is a reality as much as heaven and hell. This is where God’s justice and mercy are meted out and all becomes perfect and just. The “sin of presumption” is that the believer believes his accepting Christ is all that is necessary for his defiled self to be granted immediate entrance into the kingdom upon death. And yet Revelations says “nothing defiled shall enter the kingdom.”

If Scripture is your only defense to those who reject purgatory, then consider Scripture:

Matthew 5:23-26
"Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering. Reconcile with your opponent at law while you are with him on the way, so that your opponent may not hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. Truly I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid up the last penny.”

[Jesus is assuring us (“truly I say to you”) that we will pay (be imprisoned) for a portion our transgressions until we have paid the last penny if we do not forgive others or obey. The key word is until. It is clear that once we have paid for our sins, then we will be released from our prison. That is not Hell because Hell is eternal. This is not an earthly reference as many who are to be saved have died without fulfilling all the requirements this passage implies. This is referring to purgatory where you will be eventually released.]

Luke 12:45-48
But if that slave says in his heart, 'My master will be a long time in coming,' and begins to beat the slaves, both men and women, and to eat and drink and get drunk: the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces, and assign him a place with the unbelievers. And that slave who knew his master's will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

[The one slave who was not as guilty because he was somewhat ignorant of the gravity of his sins will receive less lashes. Note, he will still be punished, but not as severely. This is clearly not talking about hell, it is about some punishment that is less than eternal. It is purgatory once again. Different degrees of punishment which is how many have described it. Also, to whom more has been given (i.e. knowledge, riches, revelation, opportunity, etc.) more will be required; otherwise something consequential results. ]

1 Corinthians 3:12-15
Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

[Saved, but still will suffer loss as yet through fire. Protestants can argue this is some earthly punishment, not an afterlife matter, but I, and the Catholic Church, say not so. This is so much better explained as a purgatory sentence. Purgatory is a cleansing fire.]

Matthew 12:32
Whoever says anything against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever says anything against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

[To me this further indicates that certain sins will cause some to suffer punishment eternally, no doubt. However, more importantly, this indicates that there is forgiveness for some in the age to come. For who? Those in heaven? They need no more forgiveness? For those in hell? No, because hell is eternal and there is no forgiveness at that point. It is for those in purgatory in the age that still awaits them.]

Luke 7:47
I tell you, that is why her many sins are forgiven --- because of her great love. Little is forgiven the one whose love is small.

[To me, this points to a one having some sentence in Purgatory in the age to come. For those who forgave “little” on earth, God is saying he will forgive “little” when judging you. He’s not saying he will forgive “nothing”, but something. In other words, he is lessening your debt, not totally removing it, and not totally condemning you either.]

These passages above are demanding more than just faith from us, more than just accepting Jesus as our Savior. To think we are allowed into heaven without anything more than just accepting some idea as truth, and then having license to live our life as carefree as desired I would think would be detestable to God. You may not be condemned, but we will need to be purified for our carelessness and sin of presuming we deserve immediate entry into heaven which is all pure and holy. As Revelations 21 says “nothing defiled shall enter the kingdom.”

Saints are saved by God's grace alone. Salvation is given to the Elect, after which the work comes automatically. By God's grace, the Saints are shown God's glory, power, and providence. The Saints fear and tremble because they know God and how infinitely greater He is than the creature.

Last edited:
Saints are saved by God's grace alone. Salvation is given to the Elect, after which the work comes automatically. By God's grace, the Saints are shown God's glory, power, and providence. The Saints fear and tremble because they know God and how infinitely greater He is than the creature.

Assurance of salvation may be to those who truly believe. But more is required to enter the kingdom undefiled. There will be, for the many, a purification.

My biblical assertions above still go unanswered.

If as some claim, we go to Heaven on death, perhaps you can explain why on Judgement day God will raise the dead and call forth the dead from the Seas? I mean if they already were judged when they died why would he need to call them forth?

If as some claim, we go to Heaven on death, perhaps you can explain why on Judgement day God will raise the dead and call forth the dead from the Seas? I mean if they already were judged when they died why would he need to call them forth?
It’s a very good question and I do not think any Catholic teaching is dogmatic on it, or even if there is one? I consider it in the realm of (but not near as troubling as) “why is there an eternal hell?” No one can answer that with any authority this side of the grave. I think both those questions are intended as mysteries left for God to reveal at its appointed time.

One might speculate that we will be given a supernatural mind in the hereafter and be witnesses to the whole world and all history. Our judgement upon death is private, but perhaps God intends for all to be revealed at that Final Judgment?

It’s a very good question and I do not think any Catholic teaching is dogmatic on it, or even if there is one? I consider it in the realm of (but not near as troubling as) “why is there an eternal hell?” No one can answer that with any authority this side of the grave. I think both those questions are intended as mysteries left for God to reveal at its appointed time.

One might speculate that we will be given a supernatural mind in the hereafter and be witnesses to the whole world and all history. Our judgement upon death is private, but perhaps God intends for all to be revealed at that Final Judgment?

The Bible is clear, one does not ascend to heaven until Judgement day Until then one is as asleep when they die waiting for that day to come.

The Bible is clear, one does not ascend to heaven until Judgement day Until then one is as asleep when they die waiting for that day to come.

Dealing With Soul Sleep | Against All Heresy

Have fun. :eusa_pray:

Assurance of salvation may be to those who truly believe. But more is required to enter the kingdom undefiled. There will be, for the many, a purification.

My biblical assertions above still go unanswered.

Romans 8:30 (ESV)

And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Romans 8
English Standard Version (ESV)

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Last edited:
Why did God create man?

That's a darn good question. If it is so we can worship God, what's the point? I mean, was the Abrahamic God so narcissistic that He needed someone to worship Him and the angels just weren't good enough? Why create a being that is endowed with free will and then punished for using that free will to the point that God has to sacrifice Himself to Himself to keep Him from punishing us all for using the free will He endowed us with in the first place? Is it because God needed someone to love, despite that God seems to go out of His way to either kill humans directly for the least of causes or tells some of his beloved creations to kill other of his beloved creations all the time.

Truthfully, one of the things that ended up turning me away from religion was reading the Bible and saying to myself "this doesn't make sense."

And, of course, the answer to why man was created was so that God could listen to Slayer.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg]Slayer - Raining Blood - YouTube[/ame]

Why did God create man?

For His own glory and to share in His beauty, peace and joy with that of “his own kind.”

Genesis 1:27-28 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it;

Why did God create man?

That's a darn good question. If it is so we can worship God, what's the point? I mean, was the Abrahamic God so narcissistic that He needed someone to worship Him and the angels just weren't good enough? Why create a being that is endowed with free will and then punished for using that free will to the point that God has to sacrifice Himself to Himself to keep Him from punishing us all for using the free will He endowed us with in the first place? Is it because God needed someone to love, despite that God seems to go out of His way to either kill humans directly for the least of causes or tells some of his beloved creations to kill other of his beloved creations all the time.

Truthfully, one of the things that ended up turning me away from religion was reading the Bible and saying to myself "this doesn't make sense."

And, of course, the answer to why man was created was so that God could listen to Slayer.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg]Slayer - Raining Blood - YouTube[/ame]

You present excellent points. Since God listens to all things He has listened to Slayer. I just hope He enjoyed them more than I did. (Your not really a Slayer band member are you?)

Why did God create man?

For His own glory and to share in His beauty, peace and joy with that of “his own kind.”

Genesis 1:27-28 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it;

Not exactly. God created man and gave man free will to explore that which God could not. In this way God values diversity over those trying to be "of his own kind."

That is a very good question.
To make it to heaven, one must be sin free, so if you are there, you are sin free. To be without sin is the direct result of exchanging places with Christ on that cross. He looked like us on the cross, we look like Him to our Father. That is the exchange.

If God is going to judge you after He already judged Christ for your sins, He can't be considered 100% just. It would be like a judge sentencing a killer to death, and then grabbing some one off the street that is completely innocent and sentencing him for the same crime. It is not going to happen. Christ removed our sins once and for all.

When God said He would remember your sins no more, He meant it. How can He judge you on something He doesn't even remember happening? If you accept the gift of salvation Christ offers you, then your sins are behind God.

What He judges is the amount of good things you did for Christ's sake so He can reward you. < THAT is the only judgment in a Christian's future.

The judgment you refer to is the White Throne Judgment which takes place at the end of the millennial reign of Christ. At that judgment, Satan and his followers are permanently dispatched to the lake of fire, and those who died without the benefit of being washed clean by way of the cross will plead their cases. < Those are the dead you referred to. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:
Why did God create man?

so its his fault the social security bill is bankrupting your nation.

Forum List

Back