MI Salon Owner "Bans" Trans, Etc. She Is Wrong.

Again not what the case stated. I cant refuse to sell a gay person a pack of gum if I'm selling the same gum to everyone else. That would be a violation of the public accommodation laws.

If you all really want to go down this road though what you are saying would invalidate the Civil Rights Act and essentially make what was happening in the Jim Crow south ok.

If you're making wedding websites for one person you have to make them for everyone. Same thing.

This case was about Free Speech. From the opinion:

States may “protect gay persons, just as [they] can protect other classes of individuals, in acquiring whatever products and services they choose on the same terms and conditions as are offered to other members of the public. And there are no doubt innumerable goods and services that no one could argue implicate the First Amendment.” Ibid.; see also Hurley, 515 U. S., at 571–572; 6 F. 4th, at 1203 (Tymkovich, C. J., dissenting). Consistent with all of this, Ms. Smith herself recognizes that Colorado and other States are generally free to apply their public accommodations laws, including their provisions protecting gay persons, to a vast array of businesses. Reply Brief 15; see Tr. of Oral Arg. 45–46. At the same time, this Court has also recognized that no public accommodations law is immune from the demands of the Constitution. In particular, this Court has held, public accommodations statutes can sweep too broadly when deployed to compel speech. In Hurley, the Court commented favorably on Massachusetts’ public accommodations law, but made plain it could not be “applied to expressive activity” to compel speech. 515 U. S., at 571, 578. In Dale, the Court observed that New Jersey’s public accommodations law had many lawful applications but held that it could “not justify such a severe intrusion on the Boy Scouts’ rights to freedom of expressive association.” 530 U. S., at 659. And, once more, what was true in those cases must hold true here. When a state public accommodations law and the Constitution collide, there can be no question which must prevail. U. S. Const., Art. VI, cl. 2
Artistic expression is covered under free speech.

A hair dresser is creating a temporary piece of art that is specifically designed to make the person more attractive and make them feel better about themselves.

You can't force a person to make a gay person more attractive because that is promoting his gay sinful lifestyle.

If the law says you have to do it, then you have to do it.

Of course, you do a shitty job in hopes that the undesirable don’t come back.

Would she not give a haircut to a man with long hair? Would she not give a haircut to a woman with short hair?

Apparently when people treat the religious bigots the same way religious bigots treat them, religious bigots get upset.

Last edited:
They are not being forced. It is their chosen profession.

So can I force a black baker to make a KKK cake? Should I be able to force a Jewish song writer to craft a song extolling the virtues of Nazism and Adolf Hitler? Should a Muslim artist be forced to draw an image of Allah?

Years ago my band got booked to play on a cruise ship. What we didn't know was it was a gay event. Even though none of us are gay we played because that's what musicians do.
Did you have to craft and play music extolling how great you thought the gay lifestyle was, or just play your normal set?

So can I force a black baker to make a KKK cake? Should I be able to force a Jewish song writer to craft a song extolling the virtues of Nazism and Adolf Hitler? Should a Muslim artist be forced to draw an image of Allah?

Did you have to craft and play music extolling how great you thought the gay lifestyle was, or just play your normal set?
Let's make up some more religious restrictions.

That's an easy work around.

Just don't do "custom" cakes and only offer the cakes in your catalog.

Let's make up some more religious restrictions.
What am I making up? If you can force a Christian baker to bake a cake for a gay wedding why cant I force a Muslim baker to bake a cake in the image of Allah?

Also being black isnt religion.

Half the story from a Brit based blog? Give me a break. The Daily Mail uses the word "some" as in some LGBTQ. Apparently the salon owner isn't discriminating against all trannies but maybe she refuses to cater to hairy men in dresses and screeching drag queens. That seems reasonable.

What am I making up? If you can force a Christian baker to bake a cake for a gay wedding why cant I force a Muslim baker to bake a cake in the image of Allah?

Also being black isnt religion.
Anything can be a religion.

A religion could teach that Blacks are the true superior race according to the god they worship and that dealing with white people is a sin.

Religion is a made up thing so anyone can make up whatever they want and call it religion.

Forum List

Back