MI Salon Owner "Bans" Trans, Etc. She Is Wrong.

So in your mind if a tranny comes on for a hair styling the stylist should have to serve her.

But if in the course of that work it comes out that the tranny is getting her hair done for a special occasion(her marriage) it would be ok to deny service based on that???

I thought "tranny" was a slur? Gosh you backward Leftists.

Anyway, yes, if you do hair as a matter of course for the public, you should do hair.

However:

Usually weddings are contracted separately, and you "book" your stylist just for that. So yes, IMO, the stylist should be able to refuse weddings she's morally opposed to. There have been cases about that but I don't think this one was it--this was speech.

This is the kind of discrimination that is wrong and, if I understand the SC ruling correctly, unlawful. She is doing people's hair and is open to the public. This does not involve speech on her part. In fact, there is no reason at all for her to endorse these folks' sexuality in using her speech. She is coloring and cutting their hair. Unless you want to be completely untamed I guess, everyone needs their hair tended.

A hair salon owner in Michigan has vowed to ban certain members of the LGBTQ+ community who specify their pronouns, saying they are 'not welcome' at her salon.

'If a human identifies as anything other than a man/woman, please seek services at a local pet groomer,' Studio 8 Hair Lab owner Christine Geiger wrote on Facebook.

Geiger wrote that she was simply exercising her right to 'free speech' as well as her ability as a business owner to 'refuse services' to certain customers.

Hair salon owner vows to ban customers who specify their pronouns

Nope......this is her salon, her property, and she should be able to serve or not serve anyone she wants. That is what true freedom is about.

Either a business owner can deny service for any reason or he can't.

You have to pick one.

If some religious nut says he can't do business with gays because of religion then people should be able to refuse service to religious people if they want to.

If a hairdresser doesn't want to do business with people she thinks are delusional what's the big deal?

If a religious person says they can't serve gays because of their beliefs, that doesn't make them a nut......that makes them a free American with Rights over their labor and property.

Nope......this is her salon, her property, and she should be able to serve or not serve anyone she wants. That is what true freedom is about.

Well, we messed up a long time ago and violated the Constitution with slavery and then Jim Crow, so then maybe over-corrected. So now we have public accommodation, like it or not.

It's not speech. Don't know precisely where the whole thing is on art at this point--hanging out at lower courts?

Making a cake is not speech but was said to be covered by it since it was "creating expressive designs" (aka art).

How is styling hair not creating expressive designs

Okay I'll play your game.

LINK?

And he indicated that the court’s decision would provide similar protection to other business owners whose services involve speech, such as artists, speechwriters, and movie directors.

And he indicated that the court’s decision would provide similar protection to other business owners whose services involve speech, such as artists, speechwriters, and movie directors.

Yes. SPEECH.

Artists, SPEECHwriters and movie directors.

Art, like cake decorating with messages, or tee-shirt design with messages. I don't see where that says "art" like hairdressing.

yes it is. You feel the tranny was wronged.
Thats your feelings.
Your feelings shouldnt supersede someones right to association and private property.

Um no, that's just verbiage. I THINK the transgender was wrong. If I FELT anything about it, it would be anger, confusion, frustration, etc.

There was nothing in my OP to indicate "feelings".

OK boomer

No dude, I'm the best generation--Gen X

4qehlw.jpg

Either a business owner can deny service for any reason or he can't.

You have to pick one.

If some religious nut says he can't do business with gays because of religion then people should be able to refuse service to religious people if they want to.

If a hairdresser doesn't want to do business with people she thinks are delusional what's the big deal?
Religion has several specific privileges in the constitution that is not given to other organizations.
So that example is invalid.

Forum List

Back