Michigan county seized retiree’s home over $8 debt

Q. Will I receive notification before my property is foreclosed?
A. Yes. At least five attempts at notification will be made. Two will be by first class mail, two by certified mail, and the last notification will be made by personal service. In addition to these notifications, names and addresses of delinquent property owners may be published in the newspaper. It is the owner/taxpayer's responsibility to notify the local unit and us when there is an address change.
Its odd how Penelope opened the thread being critical of the home seizure when she thought she could blame a republican

and now ends up having to defend the democrats who actually did the dirty deed

The dude is a slum lord. Is says HE miscalculated the interest on his property taxes, well, that's not up to him. He was short paying his taxes, then moved and apparently didn't leave a proper forwarding address for his mail, so he even though attempts were made to contact him, due to his negligence, the county starting on fees and interest on that $8 until it hit $245, and when they got tired of him not responding they seized the property.

Sounds to me like this dude didn't give a crap about the property so long as the rent checks kept rolling in. Typical slum lord. If the property really meant something to him he'd have kept a closer eye on it.

The issue with the law isn't actually the time limit, it's that Michigan is one of the few States where when property is auctioned off for tax delinquency the Government keeps all the proceeds from the sale, including any excess value above the money owed to the Government.

This is what the court found to be a taking, the government can still sell your property at auction to recover unpaid taxes, as well as any costs, but any excess money received has to be given to the owner of the property.

The dude is a slum lord. Is says HE miscalculated the interest on his property taxes, well, that's not up to him. He was short paying his taxes, then moved and apparently didn't leave a proper forwarding address for his mail, so he even though attempts were made to contact him, due to his negligence, the county starting on fees and interest on that $8 until it hit $245, and when they got tired of him not responding they seized the property.

Sounds to me like this dude didn't give a crap about the property so long as the rent checks kept rolling in. Typical slum lord. If the property really meant something to him he'd have kept a closer eye on it.

The issue with the law isn't actually the time limit, it's that Michigan is one of the few States where when property is auctioned off for tax delinquency the Government keeps all the proceeds from the sale, including any excess value above the money owed to the Government.

This is what the court found to be a taking, the government can still sell your property at auction to recover unpaid taxes, as well as any costs, but any excess money received has to be given to the owner of the property.
It's the same here in WI. If you fall further than 3 years behind on your property taxes, they seize your property and you're just SOL. They auction your property off on the steps of the county court house and you lose it all. In fact, someone else can pay your back taxes, and if you don't come in and catch them up, the person that paid your back taxes can take possession of your property, free and clear, just by paying your back taxes. You lose every bit of equity you had in the property. It's a horrible system.

Well it was a republicans. What is it you do not understand about this.
You can argue the merits of 2 years vs 5

but it was the greed and dishonesty of the county tax office that screwed this man over

Why ? its a change of law? Its the city that taxes the property. How is the city greedy??
the county does the property taxs not the cities,,,

this just shows the evil of taxs,,,

We get the taxes from the city, not the county.

but it was the greed and dishonesty of the county tax office that screwed this man over

Why ? its a change of law? Its the city that taxes the property. How is the city greedy??

property taxs are usually done by the country,,at least here in missouri they are,,

not sure about your shithole,,

TAXS ARE EVIL!!!

Not in MI:
Q. What happens after my property is foreclosed? How do I get it back?
A. You can not get your property back after it has been foreclosed. FORECLOSURE IS FINAL. Property that has been foreclosed will be sold at a public auction.

It's the same here in WI. If you fall further than 3 years behind on your property taxes, they seize your property and you're just SOL. They auction your property off on the steps of the county court house and you lose it all. In fact, someone else can pay your back taxes, and if you don't come in and catch them up, the person that paid your back taxes can take possession of your property, free and clear, just by paying your back taxes. You lose every bit of equity you had in the property. It's a horrible system.

Hopefully this case spreads to other States that do this. Nothing wrong with government getting its lawful "cut", but any excess has to go back to the owner, or at least the owners estate.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

The city/village/township pays those taxes to the county.

In August 2011, Uri Rafaeli bought a three-bedroom, 1,500-square-foot home in the Detroit suburb of Southfield, Mich., for $60,000. He converted the fixer-upper into a rental property.

Two-and-a-half years later – and at the time unbeknownst to the retired engineer – Oakland County seized his property, put it up for auction and sold the house for $24,500. All this, after a mistake in calculating his property taxes left Rafaeli’s account delinquent by just $8.41. Oakland County ended up keeping all of the $24,500 from the sale, while Rafaeli, now 83, was left without the home and the income he made from renting it.

--------------------------------------------------------
The gov signed the law, and it was a republican trifecta that year in 1999, so this is the fault of the republicans.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Public Act 123 of 1999 shortens the amount of time property owners have to pay their delinquent taxes before losing their property. Property owners with taxes that are 25 months delinquent will be foreclosed and the property will be sold at public auction. For example, people who fail to pay their 2017 delinquent property taxes will lose their property to foreclosure March 31, 2020. Due to the Covid19 E.O from the governor the redemption period has been extended to at least 6/2/2020. Due to pending possible suits against the E.O. those dates may change.
Public Act 123 of 1999 shortens the amount of time property owners have to pay their delinquent taxes before losing their property. Property owners with taxes that are 25 months delinquent will be foreclosed and the property will be sold at public auction. For example, people who fail to pay their 2017 delinquent property taxes will lose their property to foreclosure March 31, 2020.

Due to the Covid19 E.O from the governor the redemption period has been extended to at least 6/2/2020. Due to pending possible suits against the E.O. those dates may change.
With this new act, the amount of time to pay taxes has been reduced from approximately 5 years to approximately 2 years.

I do not blame john engler in 1999 for what happened to the 83- year old man but rather the people running Oakland County today

they used the letter of the law to commit a crime against the spirit of the law.

and probably just to line their own pockets

How so. Its the law, and I live in MI and I'm fully aware of the law.
So now you are complaining that you elected a Democrat govenor who enforced the law?

property taxs are usually done by the country,,at least here in missouri they are,,

TAXS ARE EVIL!!!
Soon I would learn that while I had signed up for a piece of the American Dream with my investment, I was entering a bureaucratic nightmare — all thanks to Michigan’s Draconian tax forfeiture laws, which I’m now challenging in court," he wrote.

he needs to talk to the repubicans, they are in maj of the senate and house in MI.

Not in MI:
Q. What happens after my property is foreclosed? How do I get it back?
A. You can not get your property back after it has been foreclosed. FORECLOSURE IS FINAL. Property that has been foreclosed will be sold at a public auction.

Sold, yes, the issue in this case was the excess value gotten from the auction going to the government instead of the property owner. The court rightfully ruled that any excess has to go to the property owner, and they still lose their property.

Sorry, but after 25 months one would think you would respond and pay the tax bill if you really wanted to keep the property.

5 years is way too long.

TAXS ARE EVIL!!!
Soon I would learn that while I had signed up for a piece of the American Dream with my investment, I was entering a bureaucratic nightmare — all thanks to Michigan’s Draconian tax forfeiture laws, which I’m now challenging in court," he wrote.

he needs to talk to the repubicans, they are in maj of the senate and house in MI.
the dems run the house so lets ask them???

Hopefully this case spreads to other States that do this. Nothing wrong with government getting its lawful "cut", but any excess has to go back to the owner, or at least the owners estate.
I agree. It's theft, pure and simple. No one should ever lose the equity they have in their property, under any circumstances.

LInk?

TAXS ARE EVIL!!!

No the dems have no jurisdiction from the Fed Gov, its the state republicans in charge, and you knew who I meant. Playing dumb will get you nowhere.

LInk?
THINK... girl... if your property taxes DON'T go to the county, then why is it the county that SEIZES it and even SELLS it if you don't pay them? Where are all the tax records KEPT? Where do you have to go to pay your BACK property taxes?

THINK... the COUNTY COURT HOUSE.

TAXS ARE EVIL!!!

No the dems have no jurisdiction from the Fed Gov, its the state republicans in charge, dummy.
either way its just more proof taxs are evil,,,

LInk?
THINK... girl... if your property taxes DON'T go to the county, then why is it the county that SEIZES it and even SELLS it if you don't pay them? Where are all the tax records KEPT?

THINK... the COUNTY COURT HOUSE.
your mistake is asking her to think,,,

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I agree. It's theft, pure and simple. No one should ever lose the equity they have in their property, under any circumstances.

You do not own your property, its that way in every state, the timeline might differ.

TAXS ARE EVIL!!!

No the dems have no jurisdiction from the Fed Gov, its the state republicans in charge, dummy.
either way its just more proof taxs are evil,,,

Taxes are not evil, they allow for everything.

Forum List

Back