Michigan Steel Mill Closes two Days After Trump Tells people There Steel Is Back

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
Donald Trump, Wednesday in Michigan: “Look what I’ve done for steel. I mean, the steel is back. We taxed all the dumb steel coming in from China and other places, and US steel mills are doing great — they’re expanding all over the country, and they were gonna be out of business within two years the way they were going.”

Friday, CNN reported that US Steel is closing its Great Lakes Works mill near Detroit, with a loss of 1,500 jobs. The company will shift steel production to a mill in Gary, Indiana, and will also continue making sheets of steel outside of Pittsburgh and in Arkansas.

Trump’s steel tariffs did briefly give the industry a boost, but obviously things are not going so well recently, and 1,500 workers are getting some terrible news for the holidays, though the facility won’t close until spring.

Michigan steel mill closure announced two days after Trump told Michigan crowd 'steel is back'

Those 1500 people in Michigan know it's not fake news. Or all of the people in the surrounding area that won't be getting their business anymore.

U.S. Steel is still using smelters. They haven't kept up with the times and technology!

It's called Capitalism!

Research your shit, grasshopper.

U.S. Steel is still using smelters. They haven't kept up with the times and technology!

It's called Capitalism!

The obvious answer to the dilemma is to artificially warp the economy with tariffs, thus rewarding the inefficient companies!!!!

The company will shift steel production to a mill in Gary, Indiana...its not going under they are consolidating....daily KOS????? Please....

Electrolysis is replacing the smelter. One company has been using it successfully and it is greener and cheaper than smelting!

Don't any of you anti-Trump fucks read Scientific-American?

:asshole:'s, all of you!

Is it cause for celebration on the left? There is no doubt that the President of the United States is trying to bring factory jobs back to the U.S. after the former president told Americans that good factory jobs were gone forever. Now we have a case where the do nothing democrat majority in congress celebrates every freaking factory closing instead of supporting the President's agenda and stupid freaking left wingers are drooling over every word.

It's called Capitalism!

The obvious answer to the dilemma is to artificially warp the economy with tariffs, thus rewarding the inefficient companies!!!!

You're an uninformed delusional fool.

...and yet, the thread is not about me! Guess that means you have no rebuttal to the facts reported in the article. But, hey, I don't own any US Steel stock myself, so what do I care?

Is it cause for celebration on the left? There is no doubt that the President of the United States is trying to bring factory jobs back to the U.S. after the former president told Americans that good factory jobs were gone forever. Now we have a case where the do nothing democrat majority in congress celebrates every freaking factory closing instead of supporting the President's agenda and stupid freaking left wingers are drooling over every word.

I am waiting for Trump to revitalize the coal industry by mandating that all trains be powered by steam engines.

Did you Democrat pieces of shit miss this post:

The company will shift steel production to a mill in Gary, Indiana...its not going under they are consolidating....daily KOS????? Please....

It says: The company will shift steel production to a mill in Gary, Indiana...its not going under they are consolidating....daily KOS????? Please....

It's called Capitalism!

You're an uninformed delusional fool.

...and yet, the thread is not about me! Guess that means you have no rebuttal to the facts reported in the article. But, hey, I don't own any US Steel stock myself, so what do I care?

Obviously you do not care.

But, for those that do, Nucor Corp. Is a cutting edge tech buy!!!

Now, resume fucking yourself!

Electrolysis is replacing the smelter. One company has been using it successfully and it is greener and cheaper than smelting! Don't any of you anti-Trump fucks read Scientific-American?
Please Kidd, take your SA magazines and wipe your ass with them. Have you ever actually worked in the cutting edge steel industry as I have? What you are describing is a process long used for other metals but not steel and is only now being explored and coming under development and experimental testing. Plants don't just throw out BOFs and EAFs overnight when the cost of replacing them far exceeds the savings of a fringe technology just emerging.

For electrolysis steel-making to work, it depends on several things:
  1. A suitably durable and affordable anode.
  2. A plant designed entirely around the 2-dimensional process.
  3. The availability of affordable green energy.
Electrolysis steel offers the POTENTIAL of greener steel through the electrolysis process of alloy purification rather than heating where much CO and CO2 are produced and heat is lost, but is rather worthless if you are already set up for the older technology or the power you are using or available comes from a coal planet, etc. Electrolysis steel will continue to be developed with a few pilot plants being made and slowly phased into use over the coming decades as older BOF and EAF plants reach their natural obsolescence to where savings are so great that it can justify the billion or so dollars needed to convert over a plant to the new form. Please don't make it sound like this is a common process widely used everywhere else except the poor, backward USA lagging far behind. You admit yourself that ONE COMPANY has been using it. One company does not make an industry. Just because a new technology is emerging doesn't mean an entire industry snaps its fingers and rips out perfectly good, working 5 billion dollar plants (of which each company has many) to replace them with other 5 billion dollar plants to use it.

Donald Trump, Wednesday in Michigan: “Look what I’ve done for steel. I mean, the steel is back. We taxed all the dumb steel coming in from China and other places, and US steel mills are doing great — they’re expanding all over the country, and they were gonna be out of business within two years the way they were going.”

Friday, CNN reported that US Steel is closing its Great Lakes Works mill near Detroit, with a loss of 1,500 jobs. The company will shift steel production to a mill in Gary, Indiana, and will also continue making sheets of steel outside of Pittsburgh and in Arkansas.

Trump’s steel tariffs did briefly give the industry a boost, but obviously things are not going so well recently, and 1,500 workers are getting some terrible news for the holidays, though the facility won’t close until spring.

Michigan steel mill closure announced two days after Trump told Michigan crowd 'steel is back'

Those 1500 people in Michigan know it's not fake news. Or all of the people in the surrounding area that won't be getting their business anymore.

Well the good news there are other jobs available in the area, or all over the country.

Forum List

Back