Mike Huckabee Threatens To Leave The GOP Over Gay Marriage

Huckabee's not a bad guy. I've seen the guy interviewed many a time, read about him, his friends and the folks that know him. He seems pretty authentic. A family man of genuine faith. And quite an intelligent one.

Obviously, I disagree with him on most of his policy positions. But he seems to comes by them honestly.

I don't have anything against Huckabee, either. But I think that his trajectory in 2008 was telling.

When I decided I had enough of the GOP and it's love for greed and stupidity in 2008, what I noticed was the reaction of the GOP Establishment to Huckabee. What propelled him to the top was that the rank and file of Bible Thumpers didn't want Romney because he was a Mormon, and didn't want Giuliani because he didn't live or believe in a moral lifestyle. But the establishment - the guys who think that the biggest problem with America is a few of us still are getting middle class wages - absolutely crapped themselves when Huck got to the top.

And they were perfectly willing to put all their chips on McCain - a guy they already knew had problems - rather than take the risk of getting a "true believer" up there.
And in 2012, Rick Santorum pretty much took his place as the Conservative alternative to Mitt Romney. I bet that most people have forgotten how well former Sen. Santorum did in the South.

He carried IA, MO, TN, AL plus KS, CO, MN and I believe 1 or 2 more, and with a shoestring budget, ala Huckabee.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

Last edited:
Republicans need to be as far away as they can from this issue by 2016

In two years, Gay marriage will be the law of the land. Continued fighting by Republicans will stamp them as an archaic party fighting to preserve past hatreds
I have always maintained that GOP candidates should steer their campaigns far away from social issues.
My GOP, well ideally would be the GOP which stood firm on fiscal responsibility in government.
Social issues have been a third rail for Republican candidates
They make a strong case for fiscal responsibility and restraint. But when given a chance to talk about rape, birth control and gays they can't resist the impulse to grab that third rail. Democrats know this and intentionally bait them

So what do the USMB Republicans think about Huckabee's latest threat?

RWW News Mike Huckabee Threatens To Leave The GOP Over Gay Marriage - YouTube

Big loss or good riddance?
I admire the man for sticking to his religious principles, but when he starts demanding others also live by his principles, then he is playing with fire.

This obsession with social issues has probably been the most injurious to the Republican Party. When you couple that with the GOP's utter capitulation of its fiscal and anti big government principles when it held all the power, then you really don't have much of a party left. All you have is a pack of malcontents and whiners.

Therefore, Huckabee's departure would be far less noteworthy than he thinks it would.

Do you disagree that those who wish to redefine the definition of marriage are not just as closed minded. Are not more in your face as those who oppose the redefinition? Really there is no room for compromise from either side.

In two years, Gay marriage will be the law of the land. Continued fighting by Republicans will stamp them as an archaic party fighting to preserve past hatreds

This is going to be interesting. Strategically, you're absolutely right. Republicans need to stop polishing this turd as it only serves to highight the distinction between what the majority of the electorate believes and what republicans believe.

However....

...this is a pet issue of the religious right. And as Huckabee demonstrates with his threats, its entirely possible for this issue to cause some serious discord among the GOP. I mean, more discord, given the clefting the party has already endured between mainstream and tea party republicans. So....more internal bickering among the GOP. And more damage to the brand outside it as support for gay marriage bans continues.

Its a lose-lose-lose scenario for republicans.

In 2016, Republicans can no longer continue their well rehearsed mantra of "I believe marriage is between one man and one woman". It will make them look totally out of touch with 2016 America
Now they can continue to pander to the religious right or surrender the young Republicans who wonder......What is wrong with these guys?

In 2016 and 2018 and on and on.....they'll still be saying it.

America only has this because of the courts. Or else you feel California is out of touch ?

This is too easy.

The courts ended segregation too. If left up to the states rights crowd, we would still have segregation in the south

We Christians are fully capable of persecuting others: look at our history.

No one is at war with us, other than telling us that we cannot make them do what we want them to do.

I love that this is causing a civil war in the GOP. Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.

We're laughing at you,there is no "civil war".

And yet the GOP is falling into three camps.

1. It's over, let it go to tacit support
2. We just don't talk about it
3. Aaahhhhh, we need a Constitutional Amendment!!!!

That seems a bit dissentish
At first, I thought that an issue like this couldn't possibly tear the GOP apart, but now I'm not so sure.

I guess Antares didn't see the AP article that ran...Oh everywhere.

As same-sex marriage cases cascade through the federal courts, Republican politicians find themselves awkwardly split into three camps.

There's a small but growing number who favor legalizing gay marriage, a hard-core faction that continues to denounce it, and a sizable group in between that seems to wish the issue would disappear.

At one end of the spectrum, at least eight GOP members of Congress have endorsed same-sex marriage, and two openly gay GOP candidates for the House hope to join them.

In Massachusetts, Richard Tisei has run ads featuring his husband. In California, Carl DeMaio ran an ad showing him and his long-term partner in San Diego's gay-pride parade.

On the other flank, conservative Republicans in Congress have introduced legislation seeking to protect states from being forced to recognize same-sex marriages. One of those lawmakers is Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, a potential presidential contender who drew applause at a recent conservative gathering by saying, "We stand for marriage," and insisting that his party not shy away from "family values."

Then there's the large group in middle, not ready to embrace same-sex marriage but wary of antagonizing its supporters, including what polls suggest is a solid majority of Republicans under age 30.​

I love that this is causing a civil war in the GOP. Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.

At first, I thought that an issue like this couldn't possibly tear the GOP apart, but now I'm not so sure.

I guess Antares didn't see the AP article that ran...Oh everywhere.

As same-sex marriage cases cascade through the federal courts, Republican politicians find themselves awkwardly split into three camps.

There's a small but growing number who favor legalizing gay marriage, a hard-core faction that continues to denounce it, and a sizable group in between that seems to wish the issue would disappear.

At one end of the spectrum, at least eight GOP members of Congress have endorsed same-sex marriage, and two openly gay GOP candidates for the House hope to join them.

In Massachusetts, Richard Tisei has run ads featuring his husband. In California, Carl DeMaio ran an ad showing him and his long-term partner in San Diego's gay-pride parade.

On the other flank, conservative Republicans in Congress have introduced legislation seeking to protect states from being forced to recognize same-sex marriages. One of those lawmakers is Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, a potential presidential contender who drew applause at a recent conservative gathering by saying, "We stand for marriage," and insisting that his party not shy away from "family values."

Then there's the large group in middle, not ready to embrace same-sex marriage but wary of antagonizing its supporters, including what polls suggest is a solid majority of Republicans under age 30.​

I think most Republicans would just like to see the issue go away

"Move along....nothing to see here"

This is just another bellwether pointing to the fact and prime example, of why this country is destined to the ruins of Rome. Leave to a slight majority to screw up a good thing. The morals normally associated with 'Americans' is taking a plunge.

Applaud on left, cheer on

-Geaux

I have always maintained that GOP candidates should steer their campaigns far away from social issues.
My GOP, well ideally would be the GOP which stood firm on fiscal responsibility in government.
Social issues have been a third rail for Republican candidates
They make a strong case for fiscal responsibility and restraint. But when given a chance to talk about rape, birth control and gays they can't resist the impulse to grab that third rail. Democrats know this and intentionally bait them
Yes, they talk the talk...but when at the reins, they do not walk the walk.

Authoritarians in the republican party are no different than authoritarians in the democrat party, in so far as they can't stand the thought of their moral view not being the law of the land.

Take McCain with you, and McConnell and Graham.....

and rubio
What's wrong with rubio?

he is pro amnesty.
Nah... his plan wasn't amnesty, it was register them, and give a certain number of them temporary work visas if they are doing jobs Americans won't do, and make them pay taxes, no welfare, then after a dozen years or so they can get in line behind the other immigrants. As for Rubio's stance on this topic... it sounds like he's arguing to let the voters and individual state legislatures decide, but for his personal view he's catholic so it's marriage is between a man and a woman in his "personal" opinion.

There is no such thing as homosexual marriage.

There is only marriage between two individuals.

Huckabee's not a bad guy. I've seen the guy interviewed many a time, read about him, his friends and the folks that know him. He seems pretty authentic. A family man of genuine faith. And quite an intelligent one.

Obviously, I disagree with him on most of his policy positions. But he seems to comes by them honestly.

I don't have anything against Huckabee, either. But I think that his trajectory in 2008 was telling.

When I decided I had enough of the GOP and it's love for greed and stupidity in 2008, what I noticed was the reaction of the GOP Establishment to Huckabee. What propelled him to the top was that the rank and file of Bible Thumpers didn't want Romney because he was a Mormon, and didn't want Giuliani because he didn't live or believe in a moral lifestyle. But the establishment - the guys who think that the biggest problem with America is a few of us still are getting middle class wages - absolutely crapped themselves when Huck got to the top.

And they were perfectly willing to put all their chips on McCain - a guy they already knew had problems - rather than take the risk of getting a "true believer" up there.
And in 2012, Rick Santorum pretty much took his place as the Conservative alternative to Mitt Romney. I bet that most people have forgotten how well former Sen. Santorum did in the South.

He carried IA, MO, TN, AL plus KS, CO, MN and I believe 1 or 2 more, and with a shoestring budget, ala Huckabee.

Santorum did well in the South but he had little to no hope of winning any states in the North. He pulled out of the Presidential primary election several days before the vote in Pennsylvania. He knew he wouldn't have won his home state so he bowed out before he could suffer another embarrassing defeat by his home state.

Forum List

Back