Mike Huckabee Threatens To Leave The GOP Over Gay Marriage

I love that this is causing a civil war in the GOP. Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.

We're laughing at you,there is no "civil war".

And yet the GOP is falling into three camps.

1. It's over, let it go to tacit support
2. We just don't talk about it
3. Aaahhhhh, we need a Constitutional Amendment!!!!

That seems a bit dissentish

LOL,yes we are ALL arguing about Gay marriage.

Republicans need to be as far away as they can from this issue by 2016

In two years, Gay marriage will be the law of the land. Continued fighting by Republicans will stamp them as an archaic party fighting to preserve past hatreds

This is going to be interesting. Strategically, you're absolutely right. Republicans need to stop polishing this turd as it only serves to highight the distinction between what the majority of the electorate believes and what republicans believe.

However....

...this is a pet issue of the religious right. And as Huckabee demonstrates with his threats, its entirely possible for this issue to cause some serious discord among the GOP. I mean, more discord, given the clefting the party has already endured between mainstream and tea party republicans. So....more internal bickering among the GOP. And more damage to the brand outside it as support for gay marriage bans continues.

Its a lose-lose-lose scenario for republicans.

In 2016, Republicans can no longer continue their well rehearsed mantra of "I believe marriage is between one man and one woman". It will make them look totally out of touch with 2016 America
Now they can continue to pander to the religious right or surrender the young Republicans who wonder......What is wrong with these guys?

I hope by then we will figure out a way to expand on Constitutional liberties and free choice
to accept equal inclusion and protection of the laws for people and parties of ALL beliefs, so that
* pro gay marriage beliefs can coexist with anti-gay marriage beliefs
and not impose on each other or attack each other's beliefs
* pro life and prochoice
* pro gun rights and pro gun control
* pro singlepayer and pro free market health care
etc etc.

I don't know where the magic switch or button is
to trigger the AHA when people recognize their beliefs are equally protected as the next person's,
but I'd like to reach that state of understanding
instead of both sides of EVERY issue fighting politically to suppress the other person's views.

When will become enlightened enough to allow all views to peacefully coexist
and QUIT trying to push them through legislation and govt against the consent and beliefs of others?

When will we all wake up as a nation and quit this pattern of bullying each other by coercion and exclusion?

I love that this is causing a civil war in the GOP. Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.

We're laughing at you,there is no "civil war".

And yet the GOP is falling into three camps.

1. It's over, let it go to tacit support
2. We just don't talk about it
3. Aaahhhhh, we need a Constitutional Amendment!!!!

That seems a bit dissentish

LOL,yes we are ALL arguing about Gay marriage.

No but on a larger scale, we DO need some kind of
Constitutional agreement how to handle Political BELIEFS
that are written into party platforms and then getting pushed into federal laws.

So what do the USMB Republicans think about Huckabee's latest threat?

RWW News Mike Huckabee Threatens To Leave The GOP Over Gay Marriage - YouTube

Big loss or good riddance?
I'm sick of these righties not keeping their threats.

Rush Limbaugh never moved to Costa Rica like he promised.

Ted Nugent is neither dead, nor in jail.

I bet Huck won't keep his promise either
LOL 3 people out of millions got your panties wadded up LOL

You know, it's this high level of serious, well-thought out debate on the part of the Right that just so impresses me.

not.

Thirty-one U.S. state constitutional amendments banning legal recognition of same-sex unions have been adopted.

State constitutional amendments are typically approved first by the legislature or special constitutional convention and then by the voters in a referendum. In some states, one or both of these steps is repeated.

Votes for these amendments were as follows:

Over 80% in 4 states

Over 70% in 10 states

Over 60% in 9 states

Over 50% in 8 states

A lot of people are not too pleased that unelected judge(s) can overrule their state constitution and void their vote.

Republicans show why they are being bypassed by a society they no longer understand

Gay marriage is here, It is an accepted practice with most Americans. Even most Republican voters. In spite of gloom and doom predictions from the Huckabees of the country, we have not collapsed into a den of sin

Continued blocking of gay marriage stamps republicans as mean, stubborn and out of touch

I think it is fantastic. I know a fellow who wants to marry his sister. That should be next on the agenda.
And there should not be a law against marrying 2, 3 or more women. The only requirement is that you love each of them.

you are joking, but that is the next logical step. The ACLU is gearing up for bigamy and polygamy cases. After all, why should these people be discriminated against?
Oh? And your proof of that?

Republicans show why they are being bypassed by a society they no longer understand

Gay marriage is here, It is an accepted practice with most Americans. Even most Republican voters. In spite of gloom and doom predictions from the Huckabees of the country, we have not collapsed into a den of sin

Continued blocking of gay marriage stamps republicans as mean, stubborn and out of touch

I think it is fantastic. I know a fellow who wants to marry his sister. That should be next on the agenda.
And there should not be a law against marrying 2, 3 or more women. The only requirement is that you love each of them.

you are joking, but that is the next logical step. The ACLU is gearing up for bigamy and polygamy cases. After all, why should these people be discriminated against?

This is what the ACLU believed in 2005. I don’t know if they have changed their position.

ACLU DEFENDS POLYGAMY

Legal group backs 'freedom of choice'

Published: 06/25/2005 at 1:00 AM

The president of the American Civil Liberties Union says polygamy is among the “fundamental rights” that her organization will continue to defend.

During a question-and-answer session after a speech at Yale University, ACLU president Nadine Strossen stated that her organization has “defended the right of individuals to engage in polygamy,” reported AgapePress, noting that the comments cited by the Yale Daily News received little attention.

The student paper said Strossen was responding to a “student’s question about gay marriage, bigamy, and polygamy.”

The ACLU chief said her organization defends “the freedom of choice for mature, consenting individuals,” making it “the guardian of liberty … defend[ing] the fundamental rights of all people.

During a question-and-answer session after a speech at Yale University, ACLU president Nadine Strossen stated that her organization has “defended the right of individuals to engage in polygamy,” reported AgapePress, noting that the comments cited by the Yale Daily News received little attention.

The student paper said Strossen was responding to a “student’s question about gay marriage, bigamy, and polygamy.”

The ACLU chief said her organization defends “the freedom of choice for mature, consenting individuals,” making it “the guardian of liberty … defend[ing] the fundamental rights of all people.

Its possible. Bigamy probably won't float. But polygamy might. At least the decriminalization of cohabitation.

Last edited:

This is what the ACLU believed in 2005. I don’t know if they have changed their position.

ACLU DEFENDS POLYGAMY

Legal group backs 'freedom of choice'

Published: 06/25/2005 at 1:00 AM

The president of the American Civil Liberties Union says polygamy is among the “fundamental rights” that her organization will continue to defend.

Odd that you didn't cite your source: WND

ACLU defends polygamy

The ACLU doesn't defend polygamy as a legal instituation. It hasn't argued for the legal recognition of plural marriages. It has fought against cohabitation laws in places like Utah that criminalize consenting adults living together, accusing them of polygamy.

Which is just bullshit. Even Utah has stopped the practice of prosecuting folks for cohabitation. Talk about a victimless crime. I mean, if you and two women want to play house, what fucking interest does the government have in it?

Last edited:
It would be a BIG LOSS if Mike left the R Party! He is a good man, and usually always correct! He would make a fine President, but I don't think he will take the pay cut. He is too honest to steal his riches like Clinton and Obama.

Its possible. Bigamy probably won't float. But polygamy might. At least the decriminalization of cohabitation.

Just get the government out of the business of "Marriage"..

It would be a BIG LOSS if Mike left the R Party! He is a good man, and usually always correct! He would make a fine President, but I don't think he will take the pay cut. He is too honest to steal his riches like Clinton and Obama.

And how did Obama 'steal his riches'?

Rather than dismantling all the privileges protected by the government in legal marriage and disavowing all marriage licenses everywhere....

.....its far simpler to just let gays get married.

Its a bit late for that.

#WishfulThinking

A lot of people are not too pleased that unelected judge(s) can overrule their state constitution and void their vote.

You should have heard them howl when the courts overruled State constitutions in allowing interracial marriage!

They'll deal.

I'm thinking I don't take a source called Right Wing Watch very serious. Beyond that it is his decision and will not impact my views or life in the slightest.

What about all the lefties that did not keep their threats to move out of the country when Bush won, are you sick of them not keeping their threats?

What about all the lefties that did not keep their threats to move out of the country when Bush won, are you sick of them not keeping their threats?
Like who? Which prominent person said that?

I remember in 2008, how all the Business republicans were shitting their pants when Huckabee won Iowa.

Because the last thing the Business Republicans want are the slack-jawed bible thumping morons to figure out Jesus didn't say a darned thing about Tax Cuts for Rich People.

If Huckabee splits and runs as a third party candidate on social issues, that would interesting to see that split.

Forum List

Back