Miss. Senator Hyde-Smith Posts Photo Wearing Confederate Hat

Status
Not open for further replies.
To draw a line to that dot, you have to ignore generations of history during which the flag was accepted by the nation as a whole, as a harmless symbol of regional pride, NOT a symbol of the Confederate Government, treason, nor racism.
The 'generations' began at the start of the fight against school desegregation and the beginning of CRA resistance. The South tried to riz' agin'. With much the same results, misery for everyone.

There has been a nation wide consensus in favor of civil right since the 60s when the dems stopped fighting it.
Except in the South, where the Republicans (the party of Lincoln!) took up the challenge, as shown by the many varied tactics to continue to suppress minority votes.

Last edited:
To draw a line to that dot, you have to ignore generations of history during which the flag was accepted by the nation as a whole, as a harmless symbol of regional pride, NOT a symbol of the Confederate Government, treason, nor racism.
The 'generations' began at the start of the fight against school desegregation and the beginning of CRA resistance. The South tried to riz' agin'. With much the same results, misery for everyone.

The "generations" began with a desire to heal over the wounds of a bloody war.

Part of that healing was the acceptance of Southern Heritage and Pride as part of the overall America.

That is why northers across the nation had no problem watching Good Ole Boys, Bo and Luke outsmart the corrupt Boss Hogg on a regular basis, even though they were proud of their southern heritage (at least parts of it).

You might not agree that that should have been done. But it was.

And to generations of Americans, the Confederate Flag was/is a harmless symbol with nothing to do with racism, or treason, or war.

Denying that historical fact, so you have a justification to call your enemies names, is a shit thing to do.

There has been a nation wide consensus in favor of civil right since the 60s when the dems stopped fighting it.
Except in the South, where the Republicans took up the challenge, as shown by the many varied tactics to continue to suppress minority votes.

Nope. There has been no policies resisting civil rights for minorities since then.

Plenty of race baiting and panic mongering, but all bs.

not true. nobody denies the original (D)s were the racists.... hence the party of lincoln.

however them thar roles flipped decades ago. do try 'n catch up to the reality of today.

When did the roles flip? HInt: Good luck supporting any date you pick, liar.

i would say it started with the voting rights act............. ironically signed into law by LBJ.

you're welcome.

The voting rights act that 82 per cent of republicans in the House voted for?

ummm.... ya. because there were still (R)s of that time who were moderates. like i said................ it started around then. you think there was any defining moment? lol......

oh & my point still stands about your dishonesty in not explaining exactly what 'regional pride' the CONfed flag represented, so i'll explain it for you.

regional:

the southern states

pride:

to help identify with a cause

why part 1:

to secede from the union

why part 2:

for the right to own people

See how we came full circle there?

you're welcome again.

1. 82% is not "still plenty of moderates" THe GOP supported that bill by a super majority. That vote does NOT support your intention that the parties flipped and certainly NOT at that time. Try again, or admit that your claim is bullshit.

2. I did answer your question. Pride in a region is general thing, more based on being raised to be proud that due to specific reasons.

3. The "reasons" you give are self serving bullshit, not supported by anything in the real world.

4. and countered by real world examples, such as the Dukes of Hazzard.

5. No one today, wears a Confederate Flag because they want to secede from the Union or own people, you race baiting asshole.

lol. my point stands. you think a real world example is a TV show?

you are insane.

Cindy Hyde Smith is a white nationalist. its a shame that Mississippi, where Emmett Till died, where Madger Evers died, would exonerate her

white working class people have more in common with black people than the white people who rule over them

there won't be a 'race war' like the rwnjs keep spewing about.... it will be a war between the haves & the have nots.

Wearing a cap with a confederate flag on it, is not a reason to call someone a White Supremacist, you race baiting asshole.
After all, they're only wearing the flag of the army which fought to preserve a government based on the inferiority of the black man. Nothing to see here, move along.
She calls that the best of Mississippi history

'Mississippi history at its best!' — GOP Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith wore Confederate cap in Facebook post

When you are in a run-off election down in Mississippi against a black guy, its best to go full Confederate. Personally, I don't care if a republican candidate wants to wrap herself in the confederate flag and opine about how great the Confederacy was -- I just wish someone would tell them that its the Democrats who are the party of the confederacy, duh!

From the article: Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith smilingly posed for a photo in 2014 while wearing a Confederate cap and holding a rifle, then put the image on her Facebook page with the words "Mississippi history at its best!" <<-- Was the confederacy really the time when Mississippi was at its finest? I would assume a significant portion of the population would disagree with that.

"That image, taken at a Mississippi museum, resurfaced Tuesday as AT&T, Leidos and Walmart joined two other companies, Union Pacific and Boston Scientific, in asking Hyde-Smith, a Republican, to return campaign contributions because of controversy over her recent jest about being willing to attend a public "hanging."

Now like I said, its not big deal to me if a republican wants to go full confederate, I would have expected to see the Democrats do it first tho, since they are still the party that most supports the Confederate cause -- however, I fully expect for Hyde-Smith to win her run-off against the former Democrat klan leader, Mike Espy.
free full body massage with happy ending for right wing women willing to vote, Union blue next election!

The gop voted almost in a bloc, in support of the bill.
Yes. The exceptions were the Southern Republicans. Racists, in other words.

The difficulties of a republican getting elected in the South in that day and age, are another matter, of historical discussion.

The fact remains though, that there is no evidence that the parties flipped, on civil rights on this day.

The dems gave up their resistance, but the gop was still very strongly pro-civil rights.
Too funny

Republicans sold out civil rights to their base

I mean what I said, republicans.
Northerners. Southerners of both parties voted overwhelmingly against it. Southern Pride, don't you know...

THe claim was made that this is when the parties switched. THe voting record does not support that view.

The GOP gave the bill massive support at a higher rate than the dems did.

noooooooooooooo.............. what i said was that was the start of it. get it right, cartoon boy.

Northerners. Southerners of both parties voted overwhelmingly against it. Southern Pride, don't you know...

THe claim was made that this is when the parties switched. THe voting record does not support that view.

The north gave the bill massive support
Nobody of either party in the south supported it

When did the roles flip? HInt: Good luck supporting any date you pick, liar.

i would say it started with the voting rights act............. ironically signed into law by LBJ.

you're welcome.

ummm.... ya. because there were still (R)s of that time who were moderates. like i said................ it started around then. you think there was any defining moment? lol......

oh & my point still stands about your dishonesty in not explaining exactly what 'regional pride' the CONfed flag represented, so i'll explain it for you.

regional:

the southern states

pride:

why part 1:

to secede from the union

why part 2:

you're welcome again.

1. 82% is not "still plenty of moderates" THe GOP supported that bill by a super majority. That vote does NOT support your intention that the parties flipped and certainly NOT at that time. Try again, or admit that your claim is bullshit.

2. I did answer your question. Pride in a region is general thing, more based on being raised to be proud that due to specific reasons.

3. The "reasons" you give are self serving bullshit, not supported by anything in the real world.

5. No one today, wears a Confederate Flag because they want to secede from the Union or own people, you race baiting asshole.

you are insane.

The nation wide acceptance of the TV show, showing proud southerns "flying" the Confederate Flag, is a real world example.

Your dodging by playing stupid, is very boring.

Read my post again, and reply again, this time without playing stupid.

Wearing a cap with a confederate flag on it, is not a reason to call someone a White Supremacist, you race baiting asshole.
After all, they're only wearing the flag of the army which fought to preserve a government based on the inferiority of the black man. Nothing to see here, move along.
She calls that the best of Mississippi history

Yep. Standard regional pride stuff. Completely harmless and only an ass would make an issue of it.

The gop voted almost in a bloc, in support of the bill.
Yes. The exceptions were the Southern Republicans. Racists, in other words.

The difficulties of a republican getting elected in the South in that day and age, are another matter, of historical discussion.

The fact remains though, that there is no evidence that the parties flipped, on civil rights on this day.

The dems gave up their resistance, but the gop was still very strongly pro-civil rights.
Too funny

Republicans sold out civil rights to their base

By the party voting massively in support of the Voting Rights BIll?

Agreed. The party base had been pro civil rights forever at that point.

NOt sure of the "sold out" bit.

The topic is Hyde-Smith's racism. Deflect harder.

Dude. Playtime made the claim that the parties flipped. I was addressing his claim.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO............. i said it was the beginning. AND goddamn it- i've told you many MANY times, i am a she NOT a he. you can't retain anything for very long, can you............

noooooooooooooo.............. what i said was that was the start of it. get it right, cartoon boy.

By supporting a civil rights bill by a far larger margin than the dems?

Explain that, very detailed and slowly.

With small words and concise sentences.

Dude. Playtime made the claim that the parties flipped. I was addressing his claim.
That is not the OP. You made the claim Republicans supported the Voting Rights Act. Northerners mostly supported it. Southerners mostly voted against it. You just can't admit that, can you?

Sure I can. But it does not support Playtime's claim that that was went the parties flipped, no matter how you count the votes, nor how you group them.

There were a lot more democratic southerns voting against the Bill than Republican southerns.

b-e-g-i-n-n-i-n-g.

The north gave the bill massive support
Nobody of either party in the south supported it

And both parities supported civil rights for blacks from them on, a national consensus.

The actual racists were completely without a home in national politics after that.

At least the white ones.

you're welcome.

regional:

the southern states

pride:

why part 1:

to secede from the union

why part 2:

you're welcome again.

you are insane.

The nation wide acceptance of the TV show, showing proud southerns "flying" the Confederate Flag, is a real world example.

Your dodging by playing stupid, is very boring.

Read my post again, and reply again, this time without playing stupid.

i-n-s-a-n-e

The topic is Hyde-Smith's racism. Deflect harder.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO............. i said it was the beginning. AND goddamn it- i've told you many MANY times, i am a she NOT a he. you can't retain anything for very long, can you............

You seem so much like a standard lib "man". My confusion on the subject is completely understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back