🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Mississippi pass most anti-LGBT bill to date

It claims that the law could see a woman fired from her job for wearing trousers, a counsellor on a suicide line refuse to speak to an LGBT teenager or even an adoption agency refuse to place a child with a family because the parents lived together before they were married.

This is lunacy on a majestic scale.Is the South so far behind the civilised world ?

Where in the text of the bill does it say any of that?

What Tommy and PinkNews seem unable to fathom is that even people who don't celebrate everything LGBT have rights too. In essence, this bill protects the right to not jump for joy every time someone waves their genitals around in unique and nontraditional ways.

You can easily solve your problem by moving to a third world Arab Muslim shithole where you'll be among like minded people.
I'm not the one with the problem, troll.

Yes you are the one with a problem dumass

I wouldn't go that far. If government can prove actual economic or political harm being caused by said veto, then they have a case to compel compliance.

However hurt feelings is not, and never will be actual harm.

I almost agree, but not quite. Nobody has an inherent right to force someone else's behavior, even for economic or political gain.

If a robber can prove economic harm from not being allowed to steal my wallet, does he have a “case to compel compliance”?

He may be able to, but the greater harm is from your loss of property via illegal methods.

Of course this all isn't absolute, however if, say, all or most of the gas stations in a locality decide not to sell to gay people, they can show harm by the limitation of their ability to travel, which even if the use of cars isn't constitutionally protected, the right to travel freely is. Furthermore, the act of selling gas is a point of sale transaction, that differs in no way depending on the participants in said transaction. Gas is not gay or straight, nor is there any reason for such concepts to be brought up in said transaction.

To me, PA laws are not 100% wrong, they are just being wrongly applied.

Public Accommodation was very effective in enforcing Jim Crow laws. We don't serve colored was an effective way for a business to enforce segregation whether there were specific laws mandating it or not. It was used to keep blacks out of restaurants, hotels, rest rooms, pools and many other businesses

The same tactic can be used to fight the Supreme Court decision on same sex marriage. The SCOTUS may say you can marry, just try and find a county clerk to give you a license, a municipal judge to marry you, a baker to make you a cake, someone to rent you a hall

If you find it difficult to get married....it is not my problem

yes, they were designed to fight systemic economic and political discrimination that was occurring at the local levels, usually mandated by government. You keep fixating on the symptom, not the cause. You are also confusing government, which I agree has to be neutral (hence why I stated that the bill in question is pretty much crazy), and private individuals, which to me have to have their rights taken into account, and if said rights are to be curtailed, some reason involving a compelling interest must be the reason. Not "my feelings got hurt", or "I had to spend 10 more minutes finding another vendor". A tangible economic or political harm.

The response from Red States is quite obvious here

They lost in the courts and could not make Same Sex Marriage illegal. So they immediately revert to their Jim Crow tactics and make providing service to gay marriages optional

There is more than one way to skin a cat

Maybe those gay wedding planners shouldn't have pigeon holes those bakeries. None of this wouldn't have happened, if they had.

You want to shove your beliefs in someone's face? Well, take your medicine.

It's their state they can do what they want. You don't like it don't go there. I doubt they'll miss some high and mighty opinionated whiner coming there anyway

No problem, Stephanie. I never travel to the Southern states.

As for whining, I've read your FZ thread. Massive whine there.

It claims that the law could see a woman fired from her job for wearing trousers, a counsellor on a suicide line refuse to speak to an LGBT teenager or even an adoption agency refuse to place a child with a family because the parents lived together before they were married.

This is lunacy on a majestic scale.Is the South so far behind the civilised world ?
what is wrong with mississippi.?
i dont anything about usa state. but i watched most holywood movie. most of racist thing or anti...... did happen in mississippi.

I almost agree, but not quite. Nobody has an inherent right to force someone else's behavior, even for economic or political gain.

If a robber can prove economic harm from not being allowed to steal my wallet, does he have a “case to compel compliance”?

He may be able to, but the greater harm is from your loss of property via illegal methods.

Of course this all isn't absolute, however if, say, all or most of the gas stations in a locality decide not to sell to gay people, they can show harm by the limitation of their ability to travel, which even if the use of cars isn't constitutionally protected, the right to travel freely is. Furthermore, the act of selling gas is a point of sale transaction, that differs in no way depending on the participants in said transaction. Gas is not gay or straight, nor is there any reason for such concepts to be brought up in said transaction.

Public Accommodation was very effective in enforcing Jim Crow laws. We don't serve colored was an effective way for a business to enforce segregation whether there were specific laws mandating it or not. It was used to keep blacks out of restaurants, hotels, rest rooms, pools and many other businesses

The same tactic can be used to fight the Supreme Court decision on same sex marriage. The SCOTUS may say you can marry, just try and find a county clerk to give you a license, a municipal judge to marry you, a baker to make you a cake, someone to rent you a hall

yes, they were designed to fight systemic economic and political discrimination that was occurring at the local levels, usually mandated by government. You keep fixating on the symptom, not the cause. You are also confusing government, which I agree has to be neutral (hence why I stated that the bill in question is pretty much crazy), and private individuals, which to me have to have their rights taken into account, and if said rights are to be curtailed, some reason involving a compelling interest must be the reason. Not "my feelings got hurt", or "I had to spend 10 more minutes finding another vendor". A tangible economic or political harm.

They lost in the courts and could not make Same Sex Marriage illegal. So they immediately revert to their Jim Crow tactics and make providing service to gay marriages optional

Jim crow was government mandated segregation or discrimination. This is government mandated "choice" for any business or person so designated in the law. It doesn't force people to discriminate, as with Jim Crow.

The law is still stupid, but laws forcing people to provide services they don't want to is far more akin to Jim Crow than this.

Jim Crow was also socially mandated and enforced
If your business treated blacks and whites the same, you were not in business for long
Those lunch counters were not segregated by law, just by social pressure on businesses
Woolworths desegregated their lunch counters...not local laws

These "religious conscience" laws are just backdoor ways to inhibit gay marriage

No problem, Stephanie. I never travel to the Southern states.

As for whining, I've read your FZ thread. Massive whine there.

not whine, showing the board who the trolls are. looks like you're joining on the list too.

Maybe those gay wedding planners shouldn't have pigeon holes those bakeries. None of this wouldn't have happened, if they had.

If you want to run a business, then leave your personal bigotry out of it and treat all customers the same

Take your medicine

i dont anything about usa state. but i watched most holywood movie. most of racist thing or anti...... did happen in mississippi.
Lot's of racism still all across the US, north and south but Mississippi is included in Constitutional laws.

And you know Elvis is from Tupelo? Iceweasel too but I don't want to rain on his parade.

Jim crow was government mandated segregation or discrimination. This is government mandated "choice" for any business or person so designated in the law. It doesn't force people to discriminate, as with Jim Crow.

The law is still stupid, but laws forcing people to provide services they don't want to is far more akin to Jim Crow than this.

Jim Crow was also socially mandated and enforced
If your business treated blacks and whites the same, you were not in business for long
Those lunch counters were not segregated by law, just by social pressure on businesses
Woolworths desegregated their lunch counters...not local laws

These "religious conscience" laws are just backdoor ways to inhibit gay marriage

It was also government mandated, as blacks had been removed from the political process.

From the website below:

Lunch Counters: No persons, firms, or corporations, who or which furnish meals to passengers at station restaurants or station eating houses, in times limited by common carriers of said passengers, shall furnish said meals to white and colored passengers in the same room, or at the same table, or at the same counter. South Carolina

Examples of Jim Crow laws - October 1960 - Civil Rights - A Jackson Sun Special Report

If you notice when reading articles, the statement is "Fighting Jim Crow Laws" Not "fighting Woolworth corporate policy".

And again, if refusals by vendors is systemic, I can see a place for PA laws to correct it. That is actual harm, not hurt feelings and having to spend 20 minutes finding another vendor.

If you want to run a business, then leave your personal bigotry out of it and treat all customers the same

Take your medicine

Why is this to be applied to any transaction? Why should a person be forced to do something they don't want to do because someone else's feelings are more politically acceptable than their own?

Jesus loves us because we are all made in Gods image.

Jesus loves everyone...yes...even the sinners. Don't try going Biblical on me, I'll shellac you

Skanky sounds no different than those who attend Westboro. I doubt Tommy wants a sermon from a Westboro member.

That you, Roots? Careful, sock

Paranoia will destroy ya. :D

Get back on topic and stop trolling, it's old

You big dummy, I was responding to your off topic comment.

Interesting stuff.

The whole Mississippi situation fascinates me.

Mississippi is the poorest state in the Union. Their healthcare is a joke. Their education system is a joke.

45% of their GDP is Federal welfare, and all they can think of is passing anti-LBGT bills.

Jesus loves everyone...yes...even the sinners. Don't try going Biblical on me, I'll shellac you

Skanky sounds no different than those who attend Westboro. I doubt Tommy wants a sermon from a Westboro member.

Interesting stuff.

Here’s the poorest state in the Union. Their healthcare is a joke. Their education system is a joke.
45% of their GDP is Federal welfare, and all they can think of is passing anti-LBGT bills.

Kind of like NYC worrying about a Horse Drawn Carriage ban when it has all its other issues?

Interesting stuff.

Here’s the poorest state in the Union. Their healthcare is a joke. Their education system is a joke.

Kind of like NYC worrying about a Horse Drawn Carriage ban when it has all its other issues?

Why don't you start a thread about it.

Interesting stuff.

Why don't you start a thread about it.

Just countering your point about governments concentrating on things like both of these items instead of dealing with bigger issues.

And where do you get the 45% figure from? Remember Mississippi is right along a rather big river controlled by the Army Corp of Engineers, and it would make sense that federal outlays would big rather large in the State.

Mississippi has passed the most anti-LGBT legislation to date and the Governor has indicated that he’ll sign it....It states that it’s acceptable to discriminate someone who identifies as LGBT, if the view is held that marriage should only be between a man and a woman, sex should only happen in marriage and male and female refer only to someone’s anatomy....To ensure protection for people who claim to have these beliefs, the bill protects them from tax penalties, loss of contract or benefit and from any fine or penalty....These views can also be used in court to justify discriminatory behaviour if sued....Although no city in the state has banned LGBT discrimination and number had passed resolutions opposing it. This means that, like North Carolina, if a city was to pass an ordinance – it would be automatically voided. Mississippi pass most anti-LGBT bill to date

There is an underlying premise to this, when challenged by LGBT Koolaide drinkers, will allow Mississippi to prevail. And that is that behaviors and delusionists do not have a "right" to force others to play along.

LGBT isn't static. It is a group of loosely knit BEHAVIORS. They aren't a race. They aren't a gender. They aren't a country of origin. And so far they've not applied for tax relief as a religion, though it is this category they most qualify for. One religion cannot force another to play along.

Freedom of association or not to associate is protected under the US Constitution. And since we aren't talking about anything specifically-covered under the 14th (race, gender, country of origin or religion), and instead just about mere behaviors, then Mississippi is fully within their rights and duty to protect the Constitutional civil rights of the religious or conscientious objectors in their state.

You shouldn't get your historical education from Hollywood.

Honestly, if I were you I would relax. The war is going very well for their side. You have won almost all the battles since the 60s. This mississippi thing is but a very minor and temporary irritant that will get overruled. Just like when 30 out of 30 states all voted against gay marriage in referendums not more than 10 years ago. It wasn't long before our courts took over and righted that "wrong."

Secularism rules. Perversion rules. Christians have become pariahs and their beliefs are roundly mocked and ostracized.

Our only chance of prevailing or gaining any ground is if our "hunch" about Jesus returning comes true.

Forum List

Back