🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Mississippi pass most anti-LGBT bill to date

If Mississippi wants to protect religious freedom as it relates to marriage, then protect my right as a Catholic to object to someone who is divorced and refuse to allow a divorced person to remarry

If you are in a business that caters to weddings, I will fully support your right not to cater to a wedding in which one or both participants were previously married and divorced. Your right to determine what you will or will not have part in, based on your own sincerely-held moral and religious beliefs, is greater than any right that anyone else has to compel you to participate in something that violates your moral or religious beliefs.

My only caveat is that if the discrimination is systemic or mandated by local government, then I have an issue. Again, it all comes down to harm.

If Mississippi wants to protect religious freedom as it relates to marriage, then protect my right as a Catholic to object to someone who is divorced and refuse to allow a divorced person to remarry

If you are in a business that caters to weddings, I will fully support your right not to cater to a wedding in which one or both participants were previously married and divorced. Your right to determine what you will or will not have part in, based on your own sincerely-held moral and religious beliefs, is greater than any right that anyone else has to compel you to participate in something that violates your moral or religious beliefs.
People shouldn't even need an excuse. "No thanks" should suffice.

So don't go to Mississippi. See that was easy, no?
I rather think that many others might take your advice.Lets hope that it doesnt affect the prosperity of the state.

Mississippi is probably relieved perverts and supporters of perversion will stay away. You homos are not as loved as you think you are...and yes I believe you are one.
Jesus loves us because we are all made in Gods image.

Jesus loves everyone...yes...even the sinners. Don't try going Biblical on me, I'll shellac you

Skanky sounds no different than those who attend Westboro. I doubt Tommy wants a sermon from a Westboro member.

Any individual ought to have the power of a “religious veto” against any attempted use of government force to comply him to act in a manner that violates his sincerely-held religious or moral beliefs.

I wouldn't go that far. If government can prove actual economic or political harm being caused by said veto, then they have a case to compel compliance.

However hurt feelings is not, and never will be actual harm.

I almost agree, but not quite. Nobody has an inherent right to force someone else's behavior, even for economic or political gain.

If a robber can prove economic harm from not being allowed to steal my wallet, does he have a “case to compel compliance”?

He may be able to, but the greater harm is from your loss of property via illegal methods.

Of course this all isn't absolute, however if, say, all or most of the gas stations in a locality decide not to sell to gay people, they can show harm by the limitation of their ability to travel, which even if the use of cars isn't constitutionally protected, the right to travel freely is. Furthermore, the act of selling gas is a point of sale transaction, that differs in no way depending on the participants in said transaction. Gas is not gay or straight, nor is there any reason for such concepts to be brought up in said transaction.

To me, PA laws are not 100% wrong, they are just being wrongly applied.

Public Accommodation was very effective in enforcing Jim Crow laws. We don't serve colored was an effective way for a business to enforce segregation whether there were specific laws mandating it or not. It was used to keep blacks out of restaurants, hotels, rest rooms, pools and many other businesses

The same tactic can be used to fight the Supreme Court decision on same sex marriage. The SCOTUS may say you can marry, just try and find a county clerk to give you a license, a municipal judge to marry you, a baker to make you a cake, someone to rent you a hall

If you find it difficult to get married....it is not my problem

Last edited:
What Tommy and PinkNews seem unable to fathom is that even people who don't celebrate everything LGBT have rights too. In essence, this bill protects the right to not jump for joy every time someone waves their genitals around in unique and nontraditional ways.

You can easily solve your problem by moving to a third world Arab Muslim shithole where you'll be among like minded people.
I'm not the one with the problem, troll.

I rather think that many others might take your advice.Lets hope that it doesnt affect the prosperity of the state.

Mississippi is probably relieved perverts and supporters of perversion will stay away. You homos are not as loved as you think you are...and yes I believe you are one.

Jesus loves everyone...yes...even the sinners. Don't try going Biblical on me, I'll shellac you

Skanky sounds no different than those who attend Westboro. I doubt Tommy wants a sermon from a Westboro member.

That you, Roots? Careful, sock

Mississippi pass most anti-LGBT bill to date

It claims that the law could see a woman fired from her job for wearing trousers, a counsellor on a suicide line refuse to speak to an LGBT teenager or even an adoption agency refuse to place a child with a family because the parents lived together before they were married.

This is lunacy on a majestic scale.Is the South so far behind the civilised world ?

You expect more from a third world shithole?
Well that sounds a bit harsh. I understand that it has poverty issues though. Maybe linked to its leaders concentrating on private sexual issues rather than helping people to move forward.

Bingo.

Gee, we can legislate peace, love and harmony? Why do we still have wars? Just pass a law closing all public restrooms beyond a single toilet and label those unisex with a good lock and lots of sanitizer.

Rome really went downhill as a civilization after gays were well established in society. Pretty much a sign of decline.
Homosexuality had been common in Rome for a very long time before it fell. Nice try.

Paranoia will destroy ya. :D

Get back on topic and stop trolling, it's old

not so easy.

Mississippi is still a state and still can't give fewer constitutional protections than the federal government.

maybe the loons should stop :thup:

That hasn't stopped NYC when it comes to gun rights.

really? guns are banned in NY?

there is nothing in Heller that says that reasonable regulation is illegal.

I keep telling you, marty. learn before you speak

:cuckoo:

Get back on topic and stop trolling, it's old

:rofl:

Gee, we can legislate peace, love and harmony? Why do we still have wars? Just pass a law closing all public restrooms beyond a single toilet and label those unisex with a good lock and lots of sanitizer.

Rome really went downhill as a civilization after gays were well established in society. Pretty much a sign of decline.
Homosexuality had been common in Rome for a very long time before it fell. Nice try.

Missed the well established part huh?

not so easy.

Mississippi is still a state and still can't give fewer constitutional protections than the federal government.

The C after NY stands for city. The city let's you pack a gun these days?

Missed the well established part huh?
Again, nice try.

Any individual ought to have the power of a “religious veto” against any attempted use of government force to comply him to act in a manner that violates his sincerely-held religious or moral beliefs.

I wouldn't go that far. If government can prove actual economic or political harm being caused by said veto, then they have a case to compel compliance.

I almost agree, but not quite. Nobody has an inherent right to force someone else's behavior, even for economic or political gain.

If a robber can prove economic harm from not being allowed to steal my wallet, does he have a “case to compel compliance”?

He may be able to, but the greater harm is from your loss of property via illegal methods.

Of course this all isn't absolute, however if, say, all or most of the gas stations in a locality decide not to sell to gay people, they can show harm by the limitation of their ability to travel, which even if the use of cars isn't constitutionally protected, the right to travel freely is. Furthermore, the act of selling gas is a point of sale transaction, that differs in no way depending on the participants in said transaction. Gas is not gay or straight, nor is there any reason for such concepts to be brought up in said transaction.

Public Accommodation was very effective in enforcing Jim Crow laws. We don't serve colored was an effective way for a business to enforce segregation whether there were specific laws mandating it or not. It was used to keep blacks out of restaurants, hotels, rest rooms, pools and many other businesses

The same tactic can be used to fight the Supreme Court decision on same sex marriage. The SCOTUS may say you can marry, just try and find a county clerk to give you a license, a municipal judge to marry you, a baker to make you a cake, someone to rent you a hall

yes, they were designed to fight systemic economic and political discrimination that was occurring at the local levels, usually mandated by government. You keep fixating on the symptom, not the cause. You are also confusing government, which I agree has to be neutral (hence why I stated that the bill in question is pretty much crazy), and private individuals, which to me have to have their rights taken into account, and if said rights are to be curtailed, some reason involving a compelling interest must be the reason. Not "my feelings got hurt", or "I had to spend 10 more minutes finding another vendor". A tangible economic or political harm.

not so easy.

How is waiting 6 months and spending $1000 before you can keep a revolver in your house reasonable?

Lets apply the same metrics to abortions and see how you think of it.

yes, they were designed to fight systemic economic and political discrimination that was occurring at the local levels, usually mandated by government. You keep fixating on the symptom, not the cause. You are also confusing government, which I agree has to be neutral (hence why I stated that the bill in question is pretty much crazy), and private individuals, which to me have to have their rights taken into account, and if said rights are to be curtailed, some reason involving a compelling interest must be the reason. Not "my feelings got hurt", or "I had to spend 10 more minutes finding another vendor". A tangible economic or political harm.

The response from Red States is quite obvious here

They lost in the courts and could not make Same Sex Marriage illegal. So they immediately revert to their Jim Crow tactics and make providing service to gay marriages optional

There is more than one way to skin a cat

The response from Red States is quite obvious here

They lost in the courts and could not make Same Sex Marriage illegal. So they immediately revert to their Jim Crow tactics and make providing service to gay marriages optional

There is more than one way to skin a cat

Jim crow was government mandated segregation or discrimination. This is government mandated "choice" for any business or person so designated in the law. It doesn't force people to discriminate, as with Jim Crow.

The law is still stupid, but laws forcing people to provide services they don't want to is far more akin to Jim Crow than this.

Forum List

Back