Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood

I like your tenacity, reminds me a lot of Mark Levin. I can't argue with what you're saying because you're absolutely right. I don't have a problem with some of my tax dollars being used to feed people who can't help the situations they find themselves in. I personally don't have a problem with us all doing that through our taxes, it benefits us all to be charitable. But the line was crossed years ago and there has been no turning back.

I am a Conservative. What that means is, I don't generally go for radical changes. I wouldn't want us to pull the plug on all Federal social services. I think there is a middle point where we can assist the truly needy but not be totally bat-shit crazy. With our agricultural resources, there is no reason we can't feed every hungry family in America. We can do this for FAR FAR less through State Ag departments with help from USDA. I know we could do it because we used to do it, before Food Stamps.

Bud sadly enough... You are probably correct... It's probably too late for anything other than stark radical change because that is what is going to happen sooner or later. Either we make some hard choices now or those choices will be made for us later. The liberals seem to have decided on a no-holds-barred expansionism that is unprecedented and unsustainable... They are like Thelma and Louise at this point.

SNAP, which used to be called food stamps, is under the control of USDA

Well yes, I understand that. I haven't said otherwise. It's not about who is in charge of the dysfunctional and abused joke of a program. It's about changing the program to something that works better.

Why do people think it's a brilliant idea to give a bunch of poor folks a credit card and expect them to make sound purchasing decisions? I mean, no disrespect, but most poor people don't exactly have the financial acumen of Donald Trump... that's why they are poor. You don't see many poor people running banks, do you?

Rather than naively expecting people to be responsible, establish a system that doesn't depend on that. Feed the hungry people by giving them vouchers to use at the food center which is stocked with agricultural surplus (which we have an abundance of). They won't be able to buy DiGiorno pizzas and Häagen-Dazs ice cream... they'll have access to fresh farm produce instead.

Got it. Poor people are only poor because they are dumb. Thanks for putting the right wing philosophy is such a concise form.

I didn't say they were dumb, they just aren't generally very good at money matters. People who handle money and finances well, generally aren't poor. Now that doesn't mean the poor person is dumb, they may have many talents and smarts in other things. People are all different.

My problem is giving these people a credit card and turning them loose in a grocery store expecting them to behave responsibly.
It's really none of your business.....

Well, since it's a government program funded by tax dollars, it kinda IS our business.

Well yes, I understand that. I haven't said otherwise. It's not about who is in charge of the dysfunctional and abused joke of a program. It's about changing the program to something that works better.

Why do people think it's a brilliant idea to give a bunch of poor folks a credit card and expect them to make sound purchasing decisions? I mean, no disrespect, but most poor people don't exactly have the financial acumen of Donald Trump... that's why they are poor. You don't see many poor people running banks, do you?

Rather than naively expecting people to be responsible, establish a system that doesn't depend on that. Feed the hungry people by giving them vouchers to use at the food center which is stocked with agricultural surplus (which we have an abundance of). They won't be able to buy DiGiorno pizzas and Häagen-Dazs ice cream... they'll have access to fresh farm produce instead.

Got it. Poor people are only poor because they are dumb. Thanks for putting the right wing philosophy is such a concise form.

I didn't say they were dumb, they just aren't generally very good at money matters. People who handle money and finances well, generally aren't poor. Now that doesn't mean the poor person is dumb, they may have many talents and smarts in other things. People are all different.

My problem is giving these people a credit card and turning them loose in a grocery store expecting them to behave responsibly.

Well, since it's a government program funded by tax dollars, it kinda IS our business.
Do you tell Mobile what to do with their govt. subsidies that the US gives them, or in other words, corporate welfare? Do you complain to rural clinics on how they use grant monies?

How many times have you bitched at a farmer for how he spent his crop money he was paid for letting his land set idle?

That story fit a longtime conservative suspicion that poor people use food stamps to purchase luxury items. Now, a Republican state lawmaker in Missouri is pushing for legislation that would stop people like Greenslate and severely limit what food stamp recipients can buy. The bill being proposed would ban the purchase with food stamps of "cookies, chips, energy drinks, soft drinks, seafood or steak."
Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood - The Washington Post
Banning food stamps for thugs who spend it on luxury items, or they're trying to destroy welfare system?
I think that the only way to stop these people to spend our tax money on unnecessary items - is to create list of goods they can buy! And what do you think guys?

If you are on food stamps, you should only eat highly processed food, and the fattiest of meats. We want these people to become a bigger problem with their health,so that we can pay for their hospital bills too. It amazes me how so many people have no problem with major corporations getting all kinds of subsidies and tax breaks to the tune of billions and billions of dollars, but these same people just hate the poor bastards who are on food stamps. We have become a really fucked up society.

I like your tenacity, reminds me a lot of Mark Levin. I can't argue with what you're saying because you're absolutely right. I don't have a problem with some of my tax dollars being used to feed people who can't help the situations they find themselves in. I personally don't have a problem with us all doing that through our taxes, it benefits us all to be charitable. But the line was crossed years ago and there has been no turning back.

I am a Conservative. What that means is, I don't generally go for radical changes. I wouldn't want us to pull the plug on all Federal social services. I think there is a middle point where we can assist the truly needy but not be totally bat-shit crazy. With our agricultural resources, there is no reason we can't feed every hungry family in America. We can do this for FAR FAR less through State Ag departments with help from USDA. I know we could do it because we used to do it, before Food Stamps.

Bud sadly enough... You are probably correct... It's probably too late for anything other than stark radical change because that is what is going to happen sooner or later. Either we make some hard choices now or those choices will be made for us later. The liberals seem to have decided on a no-holds-barred expansionism that is unprecedented and unsustainable... They are like Thelma and Louise at this point.

Well... see... it's MY MONEY, so it IS my business. Sorry asswipe.

No, it's the govt's money, you gave it up when you payed taxes...And it's only a small percentage of the taxes used for this program...The churches and food panties do not follow you home to see what you are doing with their charity...

Do you tell Mobile what to do with their govt. subsidies that the US gives them, or in other words, corporate welfare? Do you complain to rural clinics on how they use grant monies?

Government dictates to companies all the time. Constantly. It's so routine, it's considered normal.

Second, Government doesn't subsidize Mobile. The way they control companies like Mobile, is by threatening to "do an environmental study", which conveniently costs millions, and takes decades.

And if companies do not pay up, with special interest groups, and funding NPR, and other public works, not mention millions in lobbying, then they end up like Microsoft... in court for years defending the right to simply make their own product.

So the answer to your question is *YES* we do tell companies what to do CONSTANTLY.

Regardless, if you are taking my tax money, I'm going to start telling you want to do. Why you don't get this, is beyond me.

No, it's the govt's money, you gave it up when you payed taxes...And it's only a small percentage of the taxes used for this program...The churches and food panties do not follow you home to see what you are doing with their charity...

Congrats you outlined the argument of every tyrannical government in human history. Stalin would be proud.

there are people who have been denied SSI (social security disability) and are in the process of appeals, etc. If they have no children, they don't qualify for cash assistance, at least here in Ohio. I work for Jobs & Family Services, believe me, we see it more than youd think

I complain that the federal government is funding and meddling in things that aren't properly their area.

But since it IS federal money, and it IS subject to federal regulations and restrictions on it, then technically, we DO all tell Mobile and whoever else what to do with federal grant money.

That story fit a longtime conservative suspicion that poor people use food stamps to purchase luxury items. Now, a Republican state lawmaker in Missouri is pushing for legislation that would stop people like Greenslate and severely limit what food stamp recipients can buy. The bill being proposed would ban the purchase with food stamps of "cookies, chips, energy drinks, soft drinks, seafood or steak."
Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood - The Washington Post
Banning food stamps for thugs who spend it on luxury items, or they're trying to destroy welfare system?
I think that the only way to stop these people to spend our tax money on unnecessary items - is to create list of goods they can buy! And what do you think guys?

If you are on food stamps, you should only eat highly processed food, and the fattiest of meats. We want these people to become a bigger problem with their health,so that we can pay for their hospital bills too. It amazes me how so many people have no problem with major corporations getting all kinds of subsidies and tax breaks to the tune of billions and billions of dollars, but these same people just hate the poor bastards who are on food stamps. We have become a really fucked up society.

Maybe you ought to start by losing the idea that these people are helpless children who need you to hold their hands and wipe their asses. You wanna support them, and THEN you want to tell them how to live their lives. Perhaps if you quit condescending to them and nannying them, they'd figure out for themselves not to get fat and unhealthy.

Food stamps are suppose to be for poor people who cannot afford basic food items. If you can waste a majority of your food stamps on steak. You don't need them. If you think it's not fair that you can't buy steaks with your food stamps. Then get a job.
So no hamburger either?
Hamburger meat runs around $3.50 a pound. Ribeye steak runs around $12.99 a pound. What do you think?
Hamburger is ground steak, with a few other ingredients...
Like I said ground beef runs about $3.50 a lb. Ribeye runs about $12.99 a pound. A big difference in price.
I get ribeye for $6.99 a pound at the Supermercado in town....
Bastard.

steak and sea food is good for you

what they should ban is soda pop candy and pre done foods

The main recipients of food stamps are children, elderly, veterans, disabled and of course, that most hated of all Americans, single mothers whose children's fathers have run out on them. Its very important to the right to punish people for being poor and to do anything and everything to keep them that way.

Whaddaya wanna bet Brattin calls himself a "christian".

BTW, his demonic bill is all for show. Or, just as likely, the idiot has no idea how the system works. Thanks to gerrymandering hewill feed at the public trough for the rest of his working life and have plenty of time to do a lot more damage.

Brattin admits that the language might need some tweaking. “My intention wasn’t to get rid of canned tuna and fish sticks,” he said. But he also insists that people are abusing the system by purchasing luxury foods, and believes that that must be stopped, even if it ends up requiring the inclusion of other less luxurious items.

“I have seen people purchasing filet mignons and crab legs with their EBT cards,” he said. “When I can’t afford it on my pay, I don’t want people on the taxpayer’s dime to afford those kinds of foods either.”

Of course, Brattin is not only a first class asshole, he’s also full of shit. Missouri legislators are paid $35,915 per year plus a $104 a day per diem for miscellaneous costs such as food. Seeing as how a steak can be purchased for under $20.00 at Walmart, it’s pretty safe to assume Brattin can afford to buy prime cuts of beef from time to time. Filet mignon is even cheaper. Brattin can easily purchase filet mignon, a package of two in fact, at a Missouri Walmart for under $9.00.

Brattin makes more than twice the annual earnings of a family who is eligible to receive food assistance, and he probably makes a mint during tax refund season considering he has five kids. And you can bet he isn’t allowing his children to live on fish sticks and tuna. And apparently, Brattin doesn’t understand that his own pay is courtesy of the very taxpayers that he has been attacking relentlessly with stupid bills.

In addition, SNAP rules allow recipients to purchase steak and seafood because they are food items and it would be costly and burdensome to restrict these items. Brattin’s bill also has no teeth because only Congress can change SNAP rules.
"Its very important to the right to punish people for being poor and to do anything and everything to keep them that way.

Whaddaya wanna bet Brattin calls himself a "christian"." I hope you don't mind if I object to your tone, not to mention the fact that you're assumptions are exceptionally inaccurate. And, do you always behave as you think a "christian" should? No? Why not? Why impose on anyone something that you yourself don't believe in? Who's the greater hypocrite?

Your emotionally charged rude language offends me. I expect you to respond just as rudely. I can handle it, but I shouldn't have to.

Meanwhile wtf does Brattin's salary have to do with how much American taxpayers should be ripped off so someone else can eat better than him? Again, your just another knee-jerk, ignorant liberal hater.

I am not quite so cynical. A lot of people are on food stamps because they can't help the situation they are in. It's not a matter of being lazy or unmotivated, it's just the circumstances of life. I am a truly blessed person who doesn't have to worry about much financially but there was a time in my life where things were much different. I can recall making "ketchup soup" for dinner... (from condiment ketchup packs) If lucky, I had crackers too! It's not fun to be so poor you can't buy basic food.

So I can see where we as a society have a responsibility to do what we can to help those who are truly in need of assistance. The problem is, it has gotten way out of control. A single food stamp recipient in Alabama gets around $200 a month. If you have 3-4 kids you can get up to $1200 a month. Now, I am not what you would call "affluent" or anything, I'm a single person who eats what he likes and I don't spend $200 a month on groceries. And then we have the massive amount of absolute fraud going on that isn't being caught. We've got people selling their food stamps for drugs, using them to barter for things they can't buy with food stamps... people double and triple-dipping, claiming the same kids as dependents... all sorts of scams and cons. None of it is being addressed, we just keep throwing more appropriated billions at it every year.

Here's MY idea... End SNAP entirely. No more Food Stamps. Take 50% of what is currently budgeted for SNAP and send it to the State Agriculture Departments. They will be required to use the money to support a food truck delivery to each county twice a month. The truck will deliver surplus food to a distribution center where poor families and individuals can go and obtain basic food items. [This is actually the system we used before food stamps.]

Yeah, I am cynical. Very cynical. And I should be, and so should any rational American. We're one of the few nations in the world, where "poor people" have a higher obesity rate than any other income class of citizens.

Where are these people that can't help it? I've been working among the poor my whole life. I'll likely only pull $20K this year too. I've met dozens of people who used food stamps. Not once... not one time yet, have I met someone that "couldn't help it".

Where are they? When the Republicans pushed through welfare reform in the 90s, people screamed that all these poor people who "couldn't help it" would be starving and die.

Food stamp rolls fell by almost half, and yet..... no one starved... no one died.... How could that be? Where did all the people who couldn't help it go? Apparently they got jobs, and fed themselves. Apparently..... they COULD help it.

Every time someone says "this person can't help it", it's almost predictable what I see. They have beer.... smoking sticks... smart phone.... three kids and no husband, and never had a husband. It's always, and I do mean ALWAYS something similar to that every single time.

Some dumb chick spreads her legs for a guy she's not married to, and you think it's my duty to feed her, and her fatherless kids? You are crazy.

I asked this one chick, why doesn't she get help from her family. "oh well I ran away from them years ago, and haven't spoken."

That's my fault, that I must pay for you, because your pride won't let you ask your parents for help?

Now I don't have a problem helping people...... when it's *MY* choice. Not coerced by the government. You screwing up your own life, does not entitle you to my hard worked for earnings. I have no problem with charity. Provided it is actually CHARITY. Charity, doesn't involve men with guns confiscating your money, and that's where I have the problem.

People that are poor, do not "DESERVE" anything. You are not 'owed' by society, because you were an idiot, and screwed up your life. Sorry.

Lots of them really are. You haven't seen videos of some of them being interviewed. It's scarier than hell just how dumb some people are. They're not intrinsically stupid, they just have grown up in an environment which doesn't consider education valuable. Who needs an education anyway if you believe you must depend on the government to give you what keeps you alive?

Yeah, I am cynical. Very cynical. And I should be, and so should any rational American. We're one of the few nations in the world, where "poor people" have a higher obesity rate than any other income class of citizens.

Where are these people that can't help it? I've been working among the poor my whole life. I'll likely only pull $20K this year too. I've met dozens of people who used food stamps. Not once... not one time yet, have I met someone that "couldn't help it".

Where are they? When the Republicans pushed through welfare reform in the
90s, people screamed that all these poor people who "couldn't help it" would be starving and die.
food stamp rolls fell by almost half, and yet..... no one starved... no one died.... How could that be? Where did all the people who couldn't help it go? Apparently they got jobs, and fed themselves. Apparently..... they COULD help it.

Every time someone says "this person can't help it", it's almost predictable what I see. They have beer.... smoking sticks... smart phone.... three kids and no husband, and never had a husband. It's always, and I do mean ALWAYS something similar to that every single time.

Some dumb chick spreads her legs for a guy she's not married to, and you think it's my duty to feed her, and her fatherless kids? You are crazy.

I asked this one chick, why doesn't she get help from her family. "oh well I ran away from them years ago, and haven't spoken."

That's my fault, that I must pay for you, because your pride won't let you ask your parents for help?

Now I don't have a problem helping people...... when it's *MY* choice. Not coerced by the government. You screwing up your own life, does not entitle you to my hard worked for earnings. I have no problem with charity. Provided it is actually CHARITY. Charity, doesn't involve men with guns confiscating your money, and that's where I have the problem.

People that are poor, do not "DESERVE" anything. You are not 'owed' by society, because you were an idiot, and screwed up your life. Sorry.

Lots of them really are. You haven't seen videos of some of them being interviewed. It's scarier than hell just how dumb some people are. They're not intrinsically stupid, they just have grown up in an environment which doesn't consider education valuable. Who needs an education anyway if you believe you must depend on the government to give you what keeps you alive?

There have always been dumb people. Some are so dumb that they belittle an entire class of people just because the TV station they watch doesn't show anything else.

There have always been dumb people. Some are so dumb that they belittle an entire class of people just because the TV station they watch doesn't show anything else.
I agree that is demonstrates lack of education to assume things about any group.

Food stamps are suppose to be for poor people who cannot afford basic food items. If you can waste a majority of your food stamps on steak. You don't need them. If you think it's not fair that you can't buy steaks with your food stamps. Then get a job.

Most of the people who receive food stamps have jobs - minimum wage jobs. Others are military families, and retired people. Of those who don't work, most are retired or disabled. It's a Republican lie that people who receive food stamps are lazy.

Forum List

Back