Mitch McConnel Bravely Tells The Corporate Elite To Stay Out Of Politics

economic power - which allows no coercion
Conditional promising or threatening to withhold campaign dollars is coercion.
No, it's just not.
It's not the same as a gun to your head, but it is definitely coercion.

That's just silly. By that reasoning, every woman who "withholds" sex from me is coercing me.
It's like discrimination. Not all discrimination is bad or illegal. We discriminate against people for good reasons sometimes.

By the same token, money is used to coerce politicians into various directions via lobbyism. It's not illegal coercion or violent, but it is coercion.

The degree of coercion that is acceptable in a given context is where people debate.
Nope. It's not degree. The stuff you're trying to lump in with real coercion is of a distinctly different nature. Essentially, what you're saying is that someone refusing to do what you want them to do is coercion. I can't stop you from using the word that way, but it's not what I mean when I use the term. As long as we're clear, I'll try to recognize you mean something different.

Listen, equivocate however you like. When I use the word coercion, in relation politics and the law, yeah - it requires violence, or the threat thereof. Simply refusing to do what someone wants you to do isn't coercion.
Listen.. You listening? No one but you has said coercion was simply "refusing to do what someone wants you to do." Cut the crap. Plenty examples of non violent coercion listed in the law (by definition) here.
"the use of express or implied threats of violence or reprisal (as discharge from employment) or other intimidating behavior that puts a person in immediate fear of the consequences in order to compel that person to act against his or her will." Actual violence, threats of violence, or other acts of pressure may constitute coercion if they're used to subvert an individual's free will or consent.
Promote this Bill or we'll fund your opponent's campaign instead!

Last edited:
economic power - which allows no coercion
Conditional promising or threatening to withhold campaign dollars is coercion.
No, it's just not.
It's not the same as a gun to your head, but it is definitely coercion.

That's just silly. By that reasoning, every woman who "withholds" sex from me is coercing me.
It's like discrimination. Not all discrimination is bad or illegal. We discriminate against people for good reasons sometimes.

By the same token, money is used to coerce politicians into various directions via lobbyism. It's not illegal coercion or violent, but it is coercion.

The degree of coercion that is acceptable in a given context is where people debate.
Nope. It's not degree. The stuff you're trying to lump in with real coercion is of a distinctly different nature. Essentially, what you're saying is that someone refusing to do what you want them to do is coercion. I can't stop you from using the word that way, but it's not what I mean when I use the term. As long as we're clear, I'll try to recognize you mean something different.
I used to be a libertarian, so I understand what you're getting at, but my current viewpoint is more granular in how I distinguish things like coercion.

Listen, equivocate however you like. When I use the word coercion, in relation politics and the law, yeah - it requires violence, or the threat thereof. Simply refusing to do what someone wants you to do isn't coercion.
Listen.. You listening? No one but you has said coercion was simply "refusing to do what someone wants you to do." Cut the crap. Plenty examples of non violent coercion listed in the law (by definition) here.

You claimed withholding campaign contributions is coercion. If you call that coercion, you mean something different than what I do. As I said, use whatever definition you like. I just want to be clear. We're not talking about the same thing. (equivocation is tedious).

You claimed withholding campaign contributions is coercion.
If the threat of withholding said contributions clearly amounts to you losing your job, then yes, unequivocally, it's coercion. Not that explicit bribery is any better.

Last edited:
You claimed withholding campaign contributions is coercion.
If the threat of withholding said contributions clearly amounts to you losing your job, then yes, unequivocally, it's coercion.
Ok, you win. Coercion means whatever you want it to mean. I'll make up a new word - lets call it 'bloercion', and 'bloercion' means: "the use of violence or the threat thereof to compel behavior."

Now, getting back to my original claim, there's a distinct difference between economic power and state power because state power is bloercive, and economic power isn't.

Now, getting back to my original claim, there's a distinct difference between economic power and state power because state power is bloercive, and economic power isn't.
Which is just wishful thinking. Where the uber wealthy own the representatives, their corporations can bloerce willy nilly through the state. The state is us. We The People. Our House. Our Senate. Our Courts. So you're effectively lobbying to hand the uber wealthy even more violent control over us. More corporate military and privately owned prisons..

Which is just wishful thinking.
Nothing "wishful" about it. I'm just pointing out a fact.
Where the uber wealthy own the representatives, their corporations can bloerce willy nilly through the state.
If the government is corrupt, yeah, we're kinda screwed. In that case, giving them more power would be an even worse idea.

The state is us. We The People.
Nonsense. Ideally, the government works for and represents us. But the best it can really do is follow the interests of the majority. In practical application, the government is a means for forcing the will of the majority on everyone else.

Last edited:
Ok, you win. Coercion means whatever you want it to mean. I'll make up a new word - lets call it 'bloercion', and 'bloercion' means: "the use of violence or the threat thereof to compel behavior."

Of course economic power is coercive. Read Revelation 13 versus 16 and 17.

16 And the second beast required all people small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, 17 so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark— the name of the beast or the number of its name.

Or just imagine that you've been banned from shopping on Amazon, Walmart, and eBay. Even today, that would have serious effect on a person's life. In 10 years, it might mean life or death.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell lashed out at corporate America on Monday, warning CEOs to stay out of the debate over a new voting law in Georgia that has been criticized as restricting votes among minorities and the poor.

"Corporations will invite serious consequences if they become a vehicle for far-left mobs to hijack our country from outside the constitutional order," McConnell told a news conference in his home state of Kentucky.

Big business ties with Republicans began fraying under former President Donald Trump's leadership and the party's focus on voting restrictions has soured businesses embracing diversity as key to their work force and customer base. Major Georgia employers Coca-Cola and Delta Air Lines have spoken out against the law signed by Governor Brian Kemp, and Major League Baseball pulled the 2021 All-Star Game out of the state over the law strengthening identification requirements for absentee ballots and making it a crime to offer food or water to voters waiting in line.

Uh oh, Mitch is talking tough again. Watch out Coke.
So let me get this straight.

Corporations are taking away our first amendment rights by censoring Conservatives on social media, and that is Ok.

But a Republican tells corporations they need to straighten up and he becomes the threatening fascist insurgent?

LOL.

Corporate America have gone to war with the GOP, and with over 70 million Americans.

God forbid they get angry about it.

How does it feel to lick the arse of the top 1% as a Lefty?
Corporate America is the GOP. The Republican party is a wholly owned subsidiary of big business.
Only fools believe that.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell lashed out at corporate America on Monday, warning CEOs to stay out of the debate over a new voting law in Georgia that has been criticized as restricting votes among minorities and the poor.

"Corporations will invite serious consequences if they become a vehicle for far-left mobs to hijack our country from outside the constitutional order," McConnell told a news conference in his home state of Kentucky.

Big business ties with Republicans began fraying under former President Donald Trump's leadership and the party's focus on voting restrictions has soured businesses embracing diversity as key to their work force and customer base. Major Georgia employers Coca-Cola and Delta Air Lines have spoken out against the law signed by Governor Brian Kemp, and Major League Baseball pulled the 2021 All-Star Game out of the state over the law strengthening identification requirements for absentee ballots and making it a crime to offer food or water to voters waiting in line.

Uh oh, Mitch is talking tough again. Watch out Coke.
Big business ties with Republicans began fraying under former President Donald Trump's leadership
Coca Cola is a global brand

and much like the NBA has a big investment in china

need I say more?

Last edited:
Though we are pretty used to radical historical and hysterical revisionism from him. After all, he's the guy who said out loud, on camera that the filibuster has "no racial history at all. None. There's no dispute among historians." Historians, of course, immediately disputed that statement en masse.

"From election law to environmentalism to radical social agendas to the Second Amendment, parts of the private sector keep dabbling in behaving like a woke parallel government," McConnell wrote. "Businesses must not use economic blackmail to spread disinformation and push bad ideas that citizens reject at the ballot box." The last time I looked, what got rejected at the ballot box most recently was McConnell's leadership of the Senate. Oh, and Donald Trump.

The 1980s are calling Mitch. They want their filibuster back.

McConnell is following the same orders that Biden does. They are part of the problem and part of destroying the US. I really don't know how these entities can live with themselves in knowing what they are doing. Or maybe they are so evil they enjoy it.

"Republicans’ standing as the party of corporate America appears to be under threat after Mitch McConnell, the minority leader in the Senate, told chief executives critical of voting restrictions to “stay out of politics. “I found it completely discouraging to find a bunch of corporate CEOs getting in the middle of politics,” McConnell told a press conference in his home state of Kentucky on Monday."

There isn't really much more to add -- the guy who is a poster child for being the lapdog of the corporate elite, the guy who believes money is speech, the guy who believes corporations are people -- that guy is now telling corporations to stay out of politics?? Why is Mitch trying to cancel the "free speech" of corporations??

"Republicans’ standing as the party of corporate America appears to be under threat after Mitch McConnell, the minority leader in the Senate, told chief executives critical of voting restrictions to “stay out of politics. “I found it completely discouraging to find a bunch of corporate CEOs getting in the middle of politics,” McConnell told a press conference in his home state of Kentucky on Monday."

There isn't really much more to add -- the guy who is a poster child for being the lapdog of the corporate elite, the guy who believes money is speech, the guy who believes corporations are people -- that guy is now telling corporations to stay out of politics?? Why is Mitch trying to cancel the "free speech" of corporations??
The GOP is so mangled up in itself right now, it's almost unrecognizable.

Too bad. This is what happens when you sell your soul.

Forum List

Back