Mitch McConnel Bravely Tells The Corporate Elite To Stay Out Of Politics

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell lashed out at corporate America on Monday, warning CEOs to stay out of the debate over a new voting law in Georgia that has been criticized as restricting votes among minorities and the poor.

"Corporations will invite serious consequences if they become a vehicle for far-left mobs to hijack our country from outside the constitutional order," McConnell told a news conference in his home state of Kentucky.

Big business ties with Republicans began fraying under former President Donald Trump's leadership and the party's focus on voting restrictions has soured businesses embracing diversity as key to their work force and customer base. Major Georgia employers Coca-Cola and Delta Air Lines have spoken out against the law signed by Governor Brian Kemp, and Major League Baseball pulled the 2021 All-Star Game out of the state over the law strengthening identification requirements for absentee ballots and making it a crime to offer food or water to voters waiting in line.

Uh oh, Mitch is talking tough again. Watch out Coke.
So let me get this straight.

Corporations are taking away our first amendment rights by censoring Conservatives on social media, and that is Ok.

But a Republican tells corporations they need to straighten up and he becomes the threatening fascist insurgent?

LOL.

Corporate America have gone to war with the GOP, and with over 70 million Americans.

God forbid they get angry about it.

How does it feel to lick the arse of the top 1% as a Lefty?
Corporate America is the GOP. The Republican party is a wholly owned subsidiary of big business.
Corporate America is full on Democrat.

Tell it to MrPillow. There are FAR more hard core righties as Fortune 1000 CEOs than lefties (not that MrPillow would even make a Fortune 100,000 list mind ya ;-)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell lashed out at corporate America on Monday, warning CEOs to stay out of the debate over a new voting law in Georgia that has been criticized as restricting votes among minorities and the poor.

"Corporations will invite serious consequences if they become a vehicle for far-left mobs to hijack our country from outside the constitutional order," McConnell told a news conference in his home state of Kentucky.

Big business ties with Republicans began fraying under former President Donald Trump's leadership and the party's focus on voting restrictions has soured businesses embracing diversity as key to their work force and customer base. Major Georgia employers Coca-Cola and Delta Air Lines have spoken out against the law signed by Governor Brian Kemp, and Major League Baseball pulled the 2021 All-Star Game out of the state over the law strengthening identification requirements for absentee ballots and making it a crime to offer food or water to voters waiting in line.

The message to companies should be made very clear, and is "Get woke, go broke!".

We were discussing whether it was a violation of free speech rights (your claim). It isn't.

It is, if you are assuming the regulatory powers of the government.
They are not assuming the regulatory powers of government. The government has no power to regulate speech.

Not a violation of speech per se, but a violation of the government's right to pass and enact meaningful policy.

The government also has no "right" to pass and enact meaningful policy. They have that power, but it's constrained by the Constitution and the will of the people.

Your argument seems to be that only government should have the power to regulate speech and that private businesses are encroaching on that power if they regulate speech on their platforms (or otherwise try to influence state policy). But, again, that's exactly backwards. Government is the one institution that is prohibited from censoring speech. The rest of us can do it all we want, and we do, on a regular basis.

Corporations are taking away our first amendment rights by censoring Conservatives on social media, and that is Ok.

But a Republican tells corporations they need to straighten up and he becomes the threatening fascist insurgent?

LOL.

Corporate America have gone to war with the GOP, and with over 70 million Americans.

Corporate America is the GOP. The Republican party is a wholly owned subsidiary of big business.

Tell it to MrPillow. There are FAR more hard core righties as Fortune 1000 CEOs than lefties (not that MrPillow would even make a Fortune 100,000 list mind ya ;-)

I'm sure the CEOs of Google, Twitter, and Facebook all have net worths that exceed most of the "hard core right" CEO's on the Fortune list combined. Money gives you power. More money, more power, more influence.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are not assuming the regulatory powers of government. The government has no power to regulate speech.

Yes it does. A simple gander at tort law will tell you that. If I can sue you for slander or libel, that means the government has the power to determine whether the speech involved was or wasn't. Essentially, regulating free speech.

if it guarantees free speech without reprisal,
I just told you it does not.

"If it guarantees free speech without reprisal from the government"

There. Learn to quote the whole sentence.
Gotta call shenanigans there. :O) You added "from the government" in a later edit.

Um, no. That was the original post. No edits.

I quoted it straight up, here: Mitch McConnell Threatens Corporations: "Stay Out of This" or There Will be "Consequences"

Believe me, I would have noticed the "from the government" bit, if it was there, because it completely changes the statement.

Gotta call shenanigans there. :O) You added "from the government" in a later edit.

I quoted it straight up, here: Mitch McConnell Threatens Corporations: "Stay Out of This" or There Will be "Consequences"

Believe me, I would have noticed the "from the government" bit, if it was there, because it completely changes the statement.

I am talking about my post, not his.

Yes it does. A simple gander at tort law will tell you that. If I can sue you for slander or libel, that means the government has the power to determine whether the speech involved was or wasn't. Essentially, regulating free speech.

Any freedom is limited when it causes harm to others. But the First still stands:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

And my point stands. Government doesn't have the power to prohibit or abridge free speech. Private citizens, institutions and businesses, however, have the right to do so all they wish.

The government also has no "right" to pass and enact meaningful policy.

Were you not taught about the three branches of government in school?

The legislative and executive branches of government have to work in tandem to pass and enact meaningful policy. The constitution does not give corporations that ability.

Sigh... please don't equivocate. I was making the distinction between a right - a guaranteed freedom - and the powers granted to government by the constitution.

Corporations are usurping the role of the government to regulate speech and influence law. Maybe they do need to be put in their place. Nobody ever intended for corporations to have this much power over our society. Ever.
On January 21, 2010, the Supreme Court issued a ruling in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission

Then why did citizens united throw out limits to what corporations could spend to influence politics?

I am talking about my post, not his.

So am I. I quoted it in the post I linked to. I must have quoted it before you edited it. But it clearly changed. Not a big deal, I edit posts all the time. But don't yell at someone for going by the original.

LOL.

I'm sure the CEO's of Google, Twitter, and Facebook all have net worths that exceed most of the "hard core right" CEO's on the Fortune list combined. Money gives you power. More money, more power, more influence.

You’re ragging on Silicon Valley “Big Tech” again.
They represent a significant, yet relatively small percentage of F1000 CEOs just so ya know ;)

LOL.

I'm sure the CEO's of Google, Twitter, and Facebook all have net worths that exceed most of the "hard core right" CEO's on the Fortune list combined. Money gives you power. More money, more power, more influence.

You’re ragging on Silicon Valley “Big Tech” again.
They represent a significant, yet relatively small percentage of F1000 CEOs just so ya know ;)
Look at all the ones that lined up behind the Marxist BLM.

To be rich is to be democrat.

Corporations are usurping the role of the government to regulate speech and influence law. Maybe they do need to be put in their place. Nobody ever intended for corporations to have this much power over our society. Ever.
On January 21, 2010, the Supreme Court issued a ruling in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission

Then why did citizens united throw out limits to what corporations could spend to influence politics?
Then again, why are we talking about Citizens United?

Any freedom is limited when it causes harm to others. But the First still stands:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

And my point stands. Government doesn't have the power to prohibit or abridge free speech. Private citizens, institutions and businesses, however, have the right to do so all they wish.
Selective quoting is not a viable argument. Maybe Cecilie1200 can explain it better than I can.

Selective quoting is not a viable argument. Maybe Cecilie1200 can explain it better than I can.
I edited nothing. You did. Like I said, I don't really care. I you want to deny it, it's on you.

Forum List

Back