Mitch McConnel Bravely Tells The Corporate Elite To Stay Out Of Politics

The government also has no "right" to pass and enact meaningful policy.

Were you not taught about the three branches of government in school?

The legislative and executive branches of government have to work in tandem to pass and enact meaningful policy. The constitution does not give corporations that ability.

Sigh... please don't equivocate. I was making the distinction between a right - a guaranteed freedom - and the powers granted to government by the constitution.
That is not equivocation. It is a simple statement of fact.

They are not assuming the regulatory powers of government. The government has no power to regulate speech.

Yes it does. A simple gander at tort law will tell you that. If I can sue you for slander or libel, that means the government has the power to determine whether the speech involved was or wasn't. Essentially, regulating free speech.

Any freedom is limited when it causes harm to others. But the First still stands:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

And my point stands. Government doesn't have the power to prohibit or abridge free speech. Private citizens, institutions and businesses, however, have the right to do so all they wish.
Selective quoting is not a viable argument. Maybe Cecilie1200 can explain it better than I can.
I edited nothing. You did. Like I said, I don't really care. I you want to deny it, it's on you.
I am thinking we are not talking about the same thing here.

The legislative and executive branches of government have to work in tandem to pass and enact meaningful policy. The constitution does not give corporations that ability.

Sigh... please don't equivocate. I was making the distinction between a right - a guaranteed freedom - and the powers granted to government by the constitution.
A "simple" fact that has nothing to do with the conversation. Damn, Templar - I always respected you as a poster. But you've been very "slippery" in this convo.

They are not assuming the regulatory powers of government. The government has no power to regulate speech.

Yes it does. A simple gander at tort law will tell you that. If I can sue you for slander or libel, that means the government has the power to determine whether the speech involved was or wasn't. Essentially, regulating free speech.

Any freedom is limited when it causes harm to others. But the First still stands:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

And my point stands. Government doesn't have the power to prohibit or abridge free speech. Private citizens, institutions and businesses, however, have the right to do so all they wish.
Selective quoting is not a viable argument. Maybe Cecilie1200 can explain it better than I can.
I edited nothing. You did. Like I said, I don't really care. I you want to deny it, it's on you.
You selectively quoted the first amendment by highlighting the bold text.

Ok. I thought you were suggesting I edited my quote of your post, which I did not. We seem to be off topic. I'm not really interested in butting heads over posting etiquette.

A "simple" fact that has nothing to do with the conversation. Damn, Templar - I always respected you as a poster. But you've been very "slippery" in this convo.
Sorry my views do not conform with your own. That's not how this thing works, my friend.

The government has rights, as do the people. None are supposed to be plenary over the other. If you are a private entity performing regulatory actions over speech, you are infringing on the rights of the government to ensure free speech is had by all and not by some.

Corporations who provide a platform for free speech should be disallowed from regulating free speech, a guarantee only our government can enforce.

That's it. That's all.

Ok. I thought you were suggesting I edited my quote of your post, which I did not. We seem to be off topic. I'm not really interested in butting heads over posting etiquette.
Neither am I. Shall we carry on then?

And let me be blunt. I make it a point in trying to engage other posters respectfully. But I neither ask for nor want the respect of others in exchange for changing my opinions. If you want me to do that, all I ask is that you try to convince me. That is all.

Sorry my views do not conform with your own. That's not how this thing works, my friend.

The government has rights, as do the people. None are supposed to be plenary over the other. If you are a private entity performing regulatory actions over speech, you are infringing on the rights of the government to ensure free speech is had by all and not by some.

Corporations who provide a platform for free speech should be disallowed from regulating free speech, a guarantee only our government can enforce.

That's it. That's all.

Private entities aren't regulating speech. They can't. You are free to speak regardless of what any private entity says and if they attempt to stop you from speaking in a place or manner you have a right to speak in, they would be responsible for doing so.

Corporations who provide a platform for speech retain their rights to that platform, which means they can choose what speech is on that platform.

It's not the "views" I was referring to regarding "slippery". In any case ....

If we nationalize social media or, to indulge the euphemism, "regulate it as a utility", it will represent a major loss of freedom and a major expansion of state power. I'm sorry you are advocating for that.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell lashed out at corporate America on Monday, warning CEOs to stay out of the debate over a new voting law in Georgia that has been criticized as restricting votes among minorities and the poor.

"Corporations will invite serious consequences if they become a vehicle for far-left mobs to hijack our country from outside the constitutional order," McConnell told a news conference in his home state of Kentucky.

Big business ties with Republicans began fraying under former President Donald Trump's leadership and the party's focus on voting restrictions has soured businesses embracing diversity as key to their work force and customer base. Major Georgia employers Coca-Cola and Delta Air Lines have spoken out against the law signed by Governor Brian Kemp, and Major League Baseball pulled the 2021 All-Star Game out of the state over the law strengthening identification requirements for absentee ballots and making it a crime to offer food or water to voters waiting in line.

Uh oh, Mitch is talking tough again. Watch out Coke.
So let me get this straight.

Corporations are taking away our first amendment rights by censoring Conservatives on social media, and that is Ok.

But a Republican tells corporations they need to straighten up and he becomes the threatening fascist insurgent?

LOL.

Corporate America have gone to war with the GOP, and with over 70 million Americans.

God forbid they get angry about it.

How does it feel to lick the arse of the top 1% as a Lefty?
Corporate America is the GOP. The Republican party is a wholly owned subsidiary of big business.

Yes, all those Hollywood moguls and CEO cocktail party attendees are raging conservatives...

The government DOES have the power to control speech, moron. That's why you have the legal right to sue someone for slander and libel. That's why it's illegal to incite violence, or to harass people. Because the government has the ability to set and enforce boundaries between my rights and your rights. But that's a very dangerous power, and should only be wielded - and that rarely - by people who are ultimately answerable to the people as a whole. Big Tech doesn't qualify.

This is about as concise an explanation of my argument that I can leave you with dblack. I am gonna go get lost in a computer game. Thanks for the healthy discussion.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell lashed out at corporate America on Monday, warning CEOs to stay out of the debate over a new voting law in Georgia that has been criticized as restricting votes among minorities and the poor.

"Corporations will invite serious consequences if they become a vehicle for far-left mobs to hijack our country from outside the constitutional order," McConnell told a news conference in his home state of Kentucky.

Big business ties with Republicans began fraying under former President Donald Trump's leadership and the party's focus on voting restrictions has soured businesses embracing diversity as key to their work force and customer base. Major Georgia employers Coca-Cola and Delta Air Lines have spoken out against the law signed by Governor Brian Kemp, and Major League Baseball pulled the 2021 All-Star Game out of the state over the law strengthening identification requirements for absentee ballots and making it a crime to offer food or water to voters waiting in line.

So when big business is shoveling money into republican campaigns it's ok to be involved with politics.

When big business speaks out against a bad law, republicans want big business out of politics.

When republicans stop taking all those millions of dollars from big business I might start to believe the republicans actually want big business out of politics.

Once again republicans prove their hate for our first amendment right to free speech.

Private entities aren't regulating speech. They can't.

Then why do they have governing policies on their platforms dictating what is acceptable to post and what isn't? Why is Facebook banning Trump's very voice from its platform?

It is because they are regulating speech, something the law never intended them to do.

So when big business is shoveling money into republican campaigns it's ok to be involved with politics.

When big business speaks out against a bad law, republicans want big business out of politics.

No. It's bad when any corporation does it. However, I could ask you the opposite.

Also, have you read the "bad law" you're talking about? I'm guessing you haven't.

It's not the "views" I was referring to regarding "slippery". In any case ....

If we nationalize social media or, to indulge the euphemism, "regulate it as a utility", it will represent a major loss of freedom and a major expansion of state power. I'm sorry you are advocating for that.

See, that's it. We're not "nationalizing" anything. We are trying to preserve what rights one or the other has. And corporations are infringing on the regulatory powers of government to ensure freedom of speech within the public.

Corporations are taking away our first amendment rights by censoring Conservatives on social media, and that is Ok.

But a Republican tells corporations they need to straighten up and he becomes the threatening fascist insurgent?

LOL.

Corporate America have gone to war with the GOP, and with over 70 million Americans.

Corporate America is the GOP. The Republican party is a wholly owned subsidiary of big business.

Yes, all those Hollywood moguls and CEO cocktail party attendees are raging conservatives...
Yes

LOL.

Yes

My lord you really are a fucking moron.

Forum List

Back