Moon fallacies !!!

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I am in a science mood !!

Have you noticed the moon always appears very small overhead but it’s massive on the horizon??

Why is that ?? Is the moon far bigger on the horizon??

This is the moon fallacy !!
It’s an illusion!!

It’s only looks bigger because you can compare it to buildings and trees etc

The moon is the exact same size and same gravity in both planes

It's the Lens effect from more atmosphere/air you're looking thru when it's low in the sky vs perpendicular to the atmo straight above.

Last edited:
Have you noticed the moon always appears very small overhead but it’s massive on the horizon??

Actually, the Moon is a little bigger along the horizon, due to the bending of light rays due to the thicker atmosphere, but not by enough the eye would ever detect. It is mostly an optical illusion caused by the fact that the Moon is near earth objects which we can then relate to, while overhead, it is all alone with nothing next to it to compare it in size.

1725928799008.png

Why is that ?? Is the moon far bigger on the horizon??

This is the moon fallacy !!
It’s an illusion!!

It’s only looks bigger because you can compare it to buildings and trees etc

The moon is the exact same size and same gravity in both planes
It's a lens effect from looking though Earth's air horizontally.

It really does appear to be larger on the horizon, not just because you can compare it to Earthly objects.

You're half right though, which is pretty good for you. It is always the same size no matter it's appearance from Earth.

Forum List

Back