More Dumbing Down of Our Students

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
George Washington gets one brief mention. :mad:

Ben Franklin and James Madison none. :mad:

Declaration of Independence in one clause of one sentence. :mad:

That's what the College Board's new AP U.S. History Framework presents American history to 500,000 of our “most talented' high-school sophomores and juniors.

If your local school board wants to take up this garbage, raise your voice in protest. We don't need this ignoring of the most basic things about this great nation just because of number of liberals and progressives want to ignore it. :evil:

Read more @ The College Board?s Attack on American History with links.

When you have people believing the earth is 6,000 years old, and that "demand" has nothing to do with economics, and have no problem with shipping our technology off to China then it's not the "schools" that are the problem. It's the failed students who drop out and complain the schools aren't teaching the "right stuff".

Why don't you read it yourself? Why are you relying on anyone on a Breitbart site?

Look, here it is:
http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-us-history-course-and-exam-description.pdf

Go to page 27.

Okay, so I downloaded the biased, bigoted piece of garbage and had to go all the way to page 43 to find the reference to Washington.

One thing that really upset it the reference to colonial elitists fighting again the "established, rightful British government" or words to that effect.

If one of you has the time that I do not, you download it and tell us your opinion of it.

II. During and after the imperial struggles of the mid-18th century, new pressures began to unite the British colonies against perceived and real constraints on their economic activities and political rights, sparking a colonial independence movement and war with Britain.

A. Great Britain's massive debt from the Seven Years' War resulted in renewed
efforts to consolidate control over North American markets, taxes and political
institutions- actions that were supported by some colonists but resisted by
others.

B. The resulting independence movement was fueled by established colonial elites,
as well as by grassroots movements that included newly mobilized laborers,
artisans, and women, and rested on arguments over the rights of British
subjects, the rights of the individual, and the ideas of the Enlightenment.

What's the problem? Were you not aware that they were fighting for their rights as British subjects? Are you unaware of what rights the colonists had?

Last edited:
II. During and after the imperial struggles of the mid-18th century, new pressures began to unite the British colonies against perceived and real constraints on their economic activities and political rights, sparking a colonial independence movement and war with Britain.

others.

B. The resulting independence movement was fueled by established colonial elites,

What's the problem? Were you not aware that they were fighting for their rights as British subjects? Are you unaware of what rights the colonists had?

Yes, and I also know the vast majority of colonist sided with the British, considering the rebels as traitors. They supported taking away their properties - so then could grab them up for themselves.

My point is that the entire program does not clearly spell out the sides and who did what?

I don't really care how little we spend on American history....in fact I don't believe it should be taught until high school when kids can comprehend it. Memorizing this historical fact or that historical fact is a waste of my grandkids time. They spend a whole year in 7th grade in American history. How does that help her problem solving ability?

These omissions reflect not only a leftist slant on our history but also a general view that academic historical knowledge is unnecessary.

(1) absolute horse shit from a media trying to drag America back to the 1950s

(2) any history high school teacher will teach according to state KSAs regardless of any outside media

(3) if you don't like it, put your child in private or home school

The Framework asserts that the British-American colonies were characterized by the development of “a rigid racial hierarchy” (page 27) that was in turn derived from “a strong belief in British racial and cultural superiority” (page 29) – and teaches that much of the rest of American history was shaped by those beliefs.

Very true.

And I would think the section on the Constitutional convention will cover the other areas about which you are ranting.

others.

Yes, and I also know the vast majority of colonist sided with the British, considering the rebels as traitors. They supported taking away their properties - so then could grab them up for themselves.

My point is that the entire program does not clearly spell out the sides and who did what?

Statements A. and B. seem to be quite clear.

I took AP History, quitting after the first semester, because I was taking AP English, AP Physics, and AP Chemistry.

I still tested out or 3 semester hours of History, (and English, and Government, as well as an entire year of Chemistry.

others.

Statements A. and B. seem to be quite clear.

I took AP History, quitting after the first semester, because I was taking AP English, AP Physics, and AP Chemistry.

I still tested out or 3 semester hours of History, (and English, and Government, as well as an entire year of Chemistry.

10 - 15% ide with the British, about 25 - 35% sided with the Patriots, and both sides terrorized the remaining who were trying to be neutral.

Statements A and B are good.

Right wingers complain about "liberals schools".

But business from Red States is going to Blue States and begging the educated to come to Red States.

What does that tell you????? DUH!!!!

others.

It doesn't have to. It's not a text book. It operates more like a syllabus. It tells you where it meets specific standards and how much room the teacher has to move.

Further, there was more than one incident involving "motley rabble of saucy boys, negroes and mulattoes, Irish teagues and outlandish Jack tars" and they scared the crap out of the Patriots and the Loyalists. So, if we were counting elites..........possibly. If we were counting the hydra.........not so much. They won't encounter that until college.

Last edited:

That's what the College Board's new AP U.S. History Framework presents American history to 500,000 of our “most talented' high-school sophomores and juniors.

If your local school board wants to take up this garbage, raise your voice in protest. We don't need this ignoring of the most basic things about this great nation just because of number of liberals and progressives want to ignore it. :evil:

Nonsense. This is AP, advanced placement. Most students in advanced placement would have already been exposed to early American history. I think the article is purposefully misleading.

I've learned more about history since I left school than I ever learned in school. Our schools are so bad we might as well pull all funding and end the educational system altogether. When you have a teenager who can't add even with a calculator, there is something wrong.

I don't mind paying for an education but I sincerely mind paying for a bad education. Better no education at all. Watch free schools open up and actually teach the local kids something as our original schools did.

Embracing feudal times by some is laughable.

Sometimes, the only way to fix something is to tear it down and start over.

It costs much more to renovate than starting from scratch, but the US is not a building so a tear down isn't the answer. The way to fix the economy is by placing more money in the hands of the middle class. Unfortunately, the 'I've got mine, so screw you' sociopaths being driven by the 'one percenters' with something to sell are in the way.

Forum List

Back