More Dumbing Down of Our Students

I want to know just how old that I have to be to get my very own special rose colored nostalgia glasses.

I remind you that the OP started with an article off of Breitbart. He did no further research. Given the document, he chose not to read it. He skimmed the section he was looking for and still did not comprehend what it actually said.

And that would be the education of yore? Pfffttt...............

Can you pass this 1912 8th grade test?

bcschoolexam1912sm.jpg

Could you have passed it in 8th grade?

There's a better version at the link. http://www.bullittcountyhistory.com/bchistory/schoolexam1912.html

bcschoolexam1912sm.jpg

There's a better version at the link. Bullitt County History - 1912 School Exam
I would say the 8th grade math section of the 1912 test would be at about the 5th grade level today. My granddaughter just finished the 8th grade. She took algebra in the 7th grade and geometry in the 8th grade.

8th grade, non-AP math test today.
http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/accountability/testing/releasedforms/g8mathpp.pdf

Last edited:

bcschoolexam1912sm.jpg

I would say the 8th grade math section of the 1912 test would be at about the 5th grade level today. My granddaughter just finished the 8th grade. She took algebra in the 7th grade and geometry in the 8th grade.

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/accountability/testing/releasedforms/g8mathpp.pdf

Is this a school that has common core?

bcschoolexam1912sm.jpg

Is this a school that has common core?
Apparently, you don't understand what common core is. Common Core is a set of goals by grade level that have been agreed upon by 44 states. To my knowledge, no state has implemented it although a of number will do so in the 2014-15 school year. Since the goals are by grade level, it will be implemented in kindergarten first.

Most states have taken the common core goals, made changed and renamed them. Florida has added calculus, cursive writing and made a handful of other changes to the standards and renamed them Florida Educational Standards. As anticipated, most are making additions to the core standards.

I think nationwide standards are an important step in improving education in the US.

Last edited:
There are portions of that test that are at a third grade level.

Why would you advocate to tear something down if you don't have any idea what it is that is actually being taught in the classrooms? This is why we have so many kids that are placed on ADHD medication.

Go to your state Department of Education and look up the standards.

Why would you advocate to tear something down if you don't have any idea what it is that is actually being taught in the classrooms? This is why we have so many kids that are placed on ADHD medication.

I know my state's standards. A tenth grade test that my son passed in the 9th grade. Somehow, I think when you've passed the test you have to pass to graduate, they should let you graduate. And sadly, even with 3 more years of high school, his math skills were so bad he needed to take a course before he could start college.

The textbook that many students are required to study in AP US History is essentially an 1139 page left-wing editorial.

I know my state's standards. A tenth grade test that my son passed in the 9th grade. Somehow, I think when you've passed the test you have to pass to graduate, they should let you graduate. And sadly, even with 3 more years of high school, his math skills were so bad he needed to take a course before he could start college.
Any kid that does not take AP math classes in high school will be fighting an uphill battle in a college curriculum that requires multiple calculus courses, differential equations, etc...

What test did he take in the 9th grade?

Ever since I took this Evelyn Woodhead Sped Riddin' course, my riddin' has im-provved one hunert percent and also "comprenshun" has increased "won-der-full-lee". I recommend the Evelyn Woodhead Sped Riddin' course to all mah friends out there, and you tell 'em that you heard it here first on Roller Derby.

Regarding the Bullit County 8th grade exam
- the math section is easy
- the biology section is easy
- the civil government section is easy
- virtually all the other sections contained problems I would not be able to answer (and I'm 50) and that seem frankly silly to expect people to memorize and retain. (The spelling section would have been brutal for me, but it's never stood as an issue in my career)

Forum List

Back