🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

More Gun Owners Also Have Higher Suicide Rates, Study Finds

Don't own a gun, it might cut your chances for suicide in half.

Til then

13239161_10157617606010377_7623470707650734158_n.jpg

I think there is a lot to this study.

I keep my guns unloaded and locked up in a safe. Just the other night, I was laying down to go to sleep and I heard a gentle tapping. I got up to investigate. It was coming from my gun safe. As I approached, there it was again. I leaned close to the safe and listened. Then I heard the voice from within say,

"Kill yourself".

tumblr_marid2x0Fh1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Are they committing suicide because they own guns? Or are they choosing guns over another method because they have a gun handy?

I'm guessing the latter, which tells me...

This study really means nothing. Those who killed themselves with a gun would have killed themselves in some other manner had they not had access to a firearm.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I am not prepared to give up my right to bear arms because some folks would rather not see blood and brain matter on their bedroom walls.

Interesting

40,000 suicides a year, on average,

18,000 attributed to firearms.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 21,175 firearm suicides in 2013 compared to 11,208 firearm homicides.

Still only about half of all suicides are committed with guns. So what makes you think the people who used guns wouldn't have found some other way to off themselves like the other half of those who committed suicide did?

Are they committing suicide because they own guns? Or are they choosing guns over another method because they have a gun handy?

I'm guessing the latter, which tells me...

This study really means nothing. Those who killed themselves with a gun would have killed themselves in some other manner had they not had access to a firearm.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I am not prepared to give up my right to bear arms because some folks would rather not see blood and brain matter on their bedroom walls.
Right.

That seems to tell me that maybe the focus should be more in mental health and less on guns trying to figure out why these people are killing themselves rather than how they choose to do it.

That seems to tell me that maybe the focus should be more in mental health and less on guns trying to figure out why these people are killing themselves rather than how they choose to do it.

Doubt anything will be done on that front. Or either for that matter.

It doesn't matter why they kill themselves it's their choice whether to live or die and not anyone else's

Interesting

40,000 suicides a year, on average,

18,000 attributed to firearms.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 21,175 firearm suicides in 2013 compared to 11,208 firearm homicides.

And 19,900 non gun suicides......

And of course...Japan, China, and South Korea...all have higher suicide rates than we do....and only criminals and cops can have guns in those countries...and of course France and other European gun control countries also have higher siucide rates than we do...

So guns are not the issue.....moron.

Here you go....

U.S. suicide rates up, especially for women - CNN.com

In both 1999 and 2014, firearms were the most common method by which men took their own lives, although the proportion of all suicides in men that were firearm-related decreased from 61.7% to 55.4%. Among women, poisoning was the most common method in 2014 and accounted for 34.1% of suicides, down from 36% in 1999.

soooooo....you were saying brian...apparently they decided to use fewer guns for some reason...

Never mind, I found it.

Intentional self-harm (suicide): 42,773

Firearms still account for less than half.

Obviously, not owning a firearm didn't stop the majority

But it is quick and effective. Based on the study that seems to increase suicide rates.

Except in countries that only allow criminals and cops to have guns....like Japan, China and South Korea.....and these countries....

World suicide rates by country

World suicide rates by country

Per 100,000

Hungary ... 21.0
Belgium .... 18.4
Finland... 16.5
Poland... 13.8
Austria... 13.8
Czech Republic... 12.7
New Zealand.... 11.9
Denmark... 11.3
Sweden..............11.1
Norway...............10.9
Iceland................10.4
Germany.............10.3
Canada...............10.2

United States.......10.1
And another list....
Here Are The Countries With The Worst Suicide Rates

Gun ownership was a significant predictor of male firearm suicide rates. In fact, firearm suicides among men increased by 3.3 per 100,000 for each 10 percent uptick in gun ownership. Firearm suicides among women increased 0.5 per 100,000 for every 10 percent jump in gun ownership. Owning a gun also led to higher rates of suicide by any means among men but not women.

And what predicted the higher suicide rate among Japanese, South Korean and Chinese men....or French men, and Finnish men.........

Researchers from Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research conducted a similar study that compared gun policies in Missouri and Connecticut, which passed a law in 1995 that requires people to pass a background check before obtaining a permit or license to purchase a handgun. Missouri, on the other hand, repealed its gun purchaser licensing law in 2007. Connecticut’s stricter gun ownership law led to a 15.4 percent drop in firearm suicides while Missouri’s laxer laws meant a 16.1 percent increase.

And you can see why the medical profession should not be researching guns....

What on earth does a background check do to stop suicide?

Researchers from Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research conducted a similar study that compared gun policies in Missouri and Connecticut, which passed a law in 1995 that requires people to pass a background check before obtaining a permit or license to purchase a handgun. Missouri, on the other hand, repealed its gun purchaser licensing law in 2007. Connecticut’s stricter gun ownership law led to a 15.4 percent drop in firearm suicides while Missouri’s laxer laws meant a 16.1 percent increase.

And there is a reason they picked Missouri, high poverty, vs. Connecticut...low poverty....they like to cherry pick to get the results they want...that includes for murder rates too...

Opinion: Media cherry picks Missouri gun data to make misleading case for more control | Fox News

And of course brain left out this quote from the medical research.........showing that it was no coincidence that they compared Missouri, high poverty and crime, to Connecticut.....low poverty and crime.....to lie about guns again...

"Although these laws were not designed to reduce suicides, many of the risk factors that disqualify someone from legal gun ownership — domestic violence, history of committing violent crimes, substance abuse, severe mental illness and adolescence — are also risk factors for suicide," said lead study author Dr. Cassandra Crifasi, an assistant scientist with the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, part of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Crifasi stressed that the findings are not indicative of a clear causal relationship.

"When we examined whether there were changes in suicides committed by other means following the changes in the laws, there was some evidence that Connecticut experienced lower than expected rates of suicides by means other than firearms," she said.

"This suggests that factors other than handgun purchaser licensing may have contributed to the decline in suicides."

Prior research had shown that states with laws requiring handgun purchaser licensing tended to have lower suicide rates than states without any such laws. This study, however, is the first to examine if changes in policy subsequently change the risk of suicide.

this is why medical professionals who are anti gun should not be trusted with gun research......

And from the CDC......

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

-------------------

Gun suicide vs. non gun suicide:

Gun Suicide: 21,175

Non gun suicide: 19,974

So.......if you got rid of guns the gun suicides would just do what the 19,974 non gun suicides did...or they would look up Japan, China, and South Korea...since only criminals and cops have guns there, but they have higher suicide rates than we do...

Not surprising findings.

With More Guns Comes More Suicide, Study Finds

"Our study adds to the consistent finding that among both males and females, increased prevalence of firearms is clearly associated with an increase in the firearm-specific suicide rate," said Dr. Michael Siegel, lead author and a professor of community health sciences, in a statement. "The magnitude of this relationship is substantial and warrants attention from policymakers."
LOL. So if you have a gun you are more likely to kill yourself with a gun. How much did they spend on that study?

The "study" says states with higher gun ownership. Many people have more than one gun so that would skew that conclusion. Besides it doesn't even matter, it doesn't effect me.

I think there is a lot to this study.

I keep my guns unloaded and locked up in a safe. Just the other night, I was laying down to go to sleep and I heard a gentle tapping. I got up to investigate. It was coming from my gun safe. As I approached, there it was again. I leaned close to the safe and listened. Then I heard the voice from within say,

"Kill yourself".

tumblr_marid2x0Fh1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Thanks, I got to use the new emoji.....

Oh.....but if you actually looked at the cause......that would take away a reason to ban guns......who really cares about suicides....notice he doesn't care about the 19,974 who didn't use guns.....

Forum List

Back