More lefties learn the glory of the 15 dollar minimum wage....unemployment.....

You seem to ignore that customers are getting an increase just as employees are. That means increased sales.

You seem to ignore that customers are getting an increase just as employees are.

And employers have a decrease. Now that they have less to spend, where will they cut?

Customers spend more increasing sales. Sales increase leads to increased profits to employers.

In 2012 there were 3.6 million minimum wage workers in the US.
So they'll buy more and the other 330 million Americans will buy less.
Unless your ignorance leads you to believe people buy more stuff when the price increases?
Will people pay any price for a Big Mac? Or is there a price point where revenue decreases? Where profit decreases?
More likely that McDonalds installs automated burger flippers and fires half the staff at each store.

More likely because it has never happened? Sorry min wage has increased many times and your claims have never happened.

So why are you so cheap?
Why no push for a $50 an hour minimum wage?
Spell it out.

The restaurant makes more money with more customers. Wage increases for customers increases sales for the restaurant.

The restaurant makes more money with more customers.

Typically, when you raise prices, you get fewer customers.
You could read an economics book. But then you might realize that liberals are idiots.

If they have more customers they don't need to raise prices. Increasing income of customers makes them go out to eat more often. Hence restaurant sales increase. Try not to get lost.

Is it the job losses among the lower income that will lead to the increasing sales?

There have never been job losses from a minimum wage increase. It has been increased many times and we know this.

Right. WHen wages go from $7.25 to $15.00, why would any sane business owner try to reduce staff? I'm sure the low skilled workers will suddenly double their productivity.
Minimum wage isn't going from 7.25 to $15/hr. In Seattle, minimum wage has increased from $9.47/hr to $11.00/hr. Unless the city changes the ordnance, businesses will be requred to raise minimum wage in steps to $15/hr over a number of years. Some business will not see the $15/hr requirement till 2021. When the steps take effect depends on a number of factors such as whether the business offers health insurance and the number of employees.

Democrats in congress are pushing for $12 minimum wage spread over a number of years. Republican have offered nothing so the chance of $12 seems pretty remote. My guess is that Republicans will compromise at about $10/hr before the elections.

A minimum wage increase will be handled by businesses as they have done in the past by a combination of revenue increases, both price increases and other methods, improved productivity of workers, eliminating planned wage increases, reduction in benefits, reduction of non-wage operating costs, and laying off marginally productive workers.

The restaurant makes more money with more customers.

Typically, when you raise prices, you get fewer customers.
You could read an economics book. But then you might realize that liberals are idiots.

If they have more customers they don't need to raise prices. Increasing income of customers makes them go out to eat more often. Hence restaurant sales increase. Try not to get lost.

Is it the job losses among the lower income that will lead to the increasing sales?

There have never been job losses from a minimum wage increase. It has been increased many times and we know this.

Right. WHen wages go from $7.25 to $15.00, why would any sane business owner try to reduce staff? I'm sure the low skilled workers will suddenly double their productivity.
Minimum wage isn't going from 7.25 to $15/hr. In Seattle, minimum wage has increased from $9.47/hr to $11.00/hr. Unless the city changes the ordnance, businesses will be requred to raise minimum wage in steps to $15/hr over a number of years. Some business will not see the $15/hr requirement till 2021. When the steps take effect depends on a number of factors such as whether the business offers health insurance and the number of employees.

Democrats in congress are pushing for $12 minimum wage spread over a number of years. Republican have offered nothing so the chance of $12 seems pretty remote. My guess is that Republicans will compromise at about $10/hr before the elections.

A minimum wage increase will be handled by businesses as they have done in the past by a combination of revenue increases, both price increases and other methods, improved productivity of workers, eliminating planned wage increases, reduction in benefits, reduction of non-wage operating costs, and laying off marginally productive workers.

and laying off marginally productive workers.

If that happens, brain will never get his car.

You seem to ignore that customers are getting an increase just as employees are.

And employers have a decrease. Now that they have less to spend, where will they cut?

Customers spend more increasing sales. Sales increase leads to increased profits to employers.

Unless your ignorance leads you to believe people buy more stuff when the price increases?
Will people pay any price for a Big Mac? Or is there a price point where revenue decreases? Where profit decreases?
More likely that McDonalds installs automated burger flippers and fires half the staff at each store.

More likely because it has never happened? Sorry min wage has increased many times and your claims have never happened.
Like I said, if you keep it low enough, and make the increases small enough and far enough apart, you can raise the MW without too much impact on jobs. However, even you have to admit that raising it to $100/hr right now cannot happen without a massive impact. Even with keeping MW low enough to not really matter, manual, low skilled jobs ARE disappearing and will continue to disappear with the combined forces of artificial labor cost increases and reduction in automation costs. IOW, as long as you keep the MW low enough that it really doesn't matter, you can raise it. Just don't be surprised when more low skill, low paying jobs disappear.

Obviously you can't increase it to 100. You can't increase it to match the wages of skilled and educated workers. But we are talking about making poor people a little less poor, not making them rich.

and laying off marginally productive workers.

If that happens, brain will never get his car.

Which one? I have several.

You know you keep saying that but you never give a number.
At what point would it be to much?
Like I've said the entire time,I'm not opposed to giving the slackers a buck but they arent worth anymore than that.
Hell,I'm not so sure they're worth what they make now based on the constant fuck ups when you go to a fast food joint.
64 studies support his claim..... Of course 326 don't.

Link where you have support of 326 studies.

I did. You claim 64 studies support your claim. I posted a link to an article saying 85% of studies don't support your claim. The rest is math. You can do math, can't you?

I did. You claim 64 studies support your claim. I posted a link to an article saying 85% of studies don't support your claim. The rest is math. You can do math, can't you?

Show a link to how many studies were reviewed to arrive at that 85% number. Also, how much do they say unemployment will increase?

I simply started with your number. If yours is inaccurate, mine will be too. That's simple math, simpleton.

I simply started with your number. If yours is inaccurate, mine will be too. That's simple math, simpleton.

You are indeed very simple. I guess you can't answer my questions then. Shocking. So when then has a min wage increase ever increased unemployment?

L e t m e t y p e s l o w e r s o y o u c a n c o p r e h e n d.

You claim to have the support of 64 studies. I provided a link claiming that 85% of studies do not support your claim. Ergo, only 15% of studies support your claim.

64/15 = X/85
X = 362

You claim to have the support of 64 studies. I provided a link claiming that 85% of studies do not support your claim. Ergo, only 15% of studies support your claim.

64/15 = X/85
X = 362

Again. Link how many actual studies are involved in the 85% claim. Also based on your study how much do they claim unemployment will increase. Very simple questions.

That shouldn't need an answer. I simply used your number; 64 and my number; 85%. There need be no further dispute unless you can dispute the information provided in my link.

The numbers may be completely bogus. I am not about to do the research necessary to confirm, but IF the numbers ARE bogus, just remember, they started at your 64 number.

I will not argue logic and math with you further. You lack the capacity to challenge me.

That shouldn't need an answer. I simply used your number; 64 and my number; 85%. There need be no further dispute unless you can dispute the information provided in my link.

The numbers may be completely bogus. I am not about to do the research necessary to confirm, but IF the numbers ARE bogus, just remember, they started at your 64 number.

I will not argue logic and math with you further. You lack the capacity to challenge me.

So they might have reviewed 20 studies for all you know. And you don't know how much it would increase either. You are indeed very simple.

Like I said, if you keep it low enough, and make the increases small enough and far enough apart, you can raise the MW without too much impact on jobs. However, even you have to admit that raising it to $100/hr right now cannot happen without a massive impact. Even with keeping MW low enough to not really matter, manual, low skilled jobs ARE disappearing and will continue to disappear with the combined forces of artificial labor cost increases and reduction in automation costs. IOW, as long as you keep the MW low enough that it really doesn't matter, you can raise it. Just don't be surprised when more low skill, low paying jobs disappear.

Obviously you can't increase it to 100. You can't increase it to match the wages of skilled and educated workers. But we are talking about making poor people a little less poor, not making them rich.
Finally, you admit reality. Yes, raising the MW too high WILL impact jobs. If you want to raise it without impacting jobs, you have to keep it low enough that it won't matter, and it will be wiped out in a few years by inflation.

Finally, you admit reality. Yes, raising the MW too high WILL impact jobs. If you want to raise it without impacting jobs, you have to keep it low enough that it won't matter, and it will be wiped out in a few years by inflation.

The reality is that any min wage increase that would actually pass will not cause the sky to fall as many here claim. I've never stated it could rise to any level.

64/15 = X/85
X = 362

Besides, any study done by a left wing economist are either completely wrong, or they are using it to lie......one of those facts of life......the left lies.....all the time....never, ever trust a lefty....

8b9e1bda_chuck-headshake.gif

64/15 = X/85
X = 362

Besides, any study done by a left wing economist are either completely wrong, or they are using it to lie......one of those facts of life......the left lies.....all the time....never, ever trust a lefty....

And the right is honest? Your article in the OP claims people are feeling the inflation already. Meanwhile min wage has only increased by cents. There is no noticeable inflation.

The naivete (or is it ignorance?) on this topic is stunning.

When wages artificially increase (and they will), the first thing most businesses with a significant amount of lower-wage workers will do is cut hours. They will not increase prices yet. They will obviously slow hiring or only hire people who are willing to work fewer hours. Maybe cut benefits. Then they'll watch for a while and see how this plays out.

If they are still squeezed, the next thing they will do is drop lower-end staff and look at either discovering or purchasing efficiencies, ways to produce more with less.

Only after they have done all of the above will they increase prices to any significant degree.

The workers on the lower end will just have to deal with fewer hours and/or look for a new job. Or they could start their own business. There are only so many moving parts here.

Who said the employer couldn't afford the increase?

Forum List

Back