More MAGA: Breaking! Judge Suspends Steve Bannon's Prison Sentence

Right... Temporarily?? The judge would not have granted the suspension if he did not have a likely case, he could win... This means he has a winnable case.. That is going to sting the democrats hard.
It means nothing. All it means is that he is free until the appeal. There is still an appeal.

Stay tuned.

A federal judge in Washington, D.C., has temporarily suspended a four-month prison sentence and $6,500 fine for Trump White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, pending an appeal. Bannon was sentenced for criminal contempt of Congress last month after he refused to comply with a subpoena issued by the House January 6 committee. The judge who suspended Bannon’s sentence, U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols, was nominated to the federal bench in 2019 by then-President Donald Trump.

It means nothing. All it means is that he is free until the appeal. There is still an appeal.

Stay tuned.
It means what it says. And not many people get the benefit of remaining free pending an appeal. They may get an appeal, but most are “in” during all the time an appeal takes. The judge was clear.

Sixties Fan is not clear. 😎

They will always suspend such a sentence on appeal, the only sentences they usually do not are felonies, this is just a cheese dick misdemeanor for a crime nobody ever goes to the slammer for!

A suspended sentence has nothing to do with an appeal. The defendant is guilty, period.

It simply means the guilty will be on probation, not in jail

A suspended sentence has nothing to do with an appeal. The defendant is guilty, period.

It simply means the guilty will be on probation, not in jail
Wrong. This is a temporary suspension of SENTENCE — pending appeal. If he wins the appeal, no sentence at all (barring a loss on a retrial). That includes probation.

Wrong. This is a temporary suspension of SENTENCE — pending appeal. If he wins the appeal, no sentence at all (barring a loss on a retrial). That includes probation.
Wrong, what you describe is a stay.

This is what happens when idiots work for the media. They dont understand the differences or definitions of the terminology.

My post does not refer to this case, it just corrects the misconception of what a suspended sentence, is.

Wrong, what you describe is a stay.

This is what happens when idiots work for the media. They dont understand the differences or definitions of the terminology.

My post does not refer to this case, it just corrects the misconception of what a suspended sentence, is..

Yes. The sentence is stayed pending the appeal. Therefore, the defendant (at least temporarily) doesn’t have to serve any time in jail. If he wins the appeal to get a new trial, the former sentence is vacated.

If he loses the appeal, he might then have to serve some time. However, he might appeal to a higher court and get another stay.

In my earlier post, when I used the phrase about “suspending sentence” I was not using legal jargon. I was just noting that the sentence itself might survive and have to be served eventually if Bannon doesn’t prevail on his appeal(s).

As for the precise terminology, however, you are correct.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back