Morom church tell members to stop baptizing deceased holocaust survivers

I bring this up to wonder if the government made a law against baptizing people who are not members of their own immediate family, would this be an over reach of government?
what if this was a member of your family and you disagreed with it?
Mormon church to warn members of proxy baptisms - CBS News

What if I disagreed with you breathing the same air I do, could I have the government tell you to stop breathing?
you have no idea what youre even talking about. add something of substance to this discussion or just dont post. you very rarely provide and real insight to the discussion.

I bring this up to wonder if the government made a law against baptizing people who are not members of their own immediate family, would this be an over reach of government?

It's a religious practice that as far as I can tell doesn't break any laws or cause enough harm to create a compelling government interest in overriding the 1st amendment,

so, yes that would be an overreach.

Although it's kind of a catch 22 for the Mormons. If they claimed as a certainty that this practice did in fact alter the fate of a person's soul in the afterlife, then you could claim that they were doing something with serious impact on a person without the person's consent...

...then it could be banned. Leave it up to the Mormons to explain it.:lol:

Except that the person has every right to accept or reject it in the afterlife. Unless they consent, it's absolutely useless, but unless it's done for them, they have no choice to accept it.
so you would be ok if the mormon church decided to baptize your dead relatives?

what if you were islamic? or jewish? or atheist? would you be just as comfortable with this occurring?

What if I disagreed with you breathing the same air I do, could I have the government tell you to stop breathing?
you have no idea what youre even talking about. add something of substance to this discussion or just dont post. you very rarely provide and real insight to the discussion.

Maybe so, but at least I know how to type a sentence.

It's a religious practice that as far as I can tell doesn't break any laws or cause enough harm to create a compelling government interest in overriding the 1st amendment,

so, yes that would be an overreach.

Although it's kind of a catch 22 for the Mormons. If they claimed as a certainty that this practice did in fact alter the fate of a person's soul in the afterlife, then you could claim that they were doing something with serious impact on a person without the person's consent...

...then it could be banned. Leave it up to the Mormons to explain it.:lol:

Except that the person has every right to accept or reject it in the afterlife. Unless they consent, it's absolutely useless, but unless it's done for them, they have no choice to accept it.

what if you were islamic? or jewish? or atheist? would you be just as comfortable with this occurring?

You really should pay more attention to things. you might learn something. The sky really is blue.

You really should pay more attention to things. you might learn something. The sky really is blue.
and the windbag is on ignore. thank for proving you really fit the definition of a windbag every time you post.

He did. It's not his fault you don't understand it, my friend.

How can you even claim he didn't add something of substance if you don't understand what he says?

Why would I have a problem with my ancestors being baptized? That's one of the main reasons I do genealogy and submit my ancestors names for baptism. So they can also partake in the salvation offered by Christ if they so choose.

If I was a muslim, jewish, or athiest, why on earth would I care if my ancestors was baptized by proxy? I wouldn't believe that Mormons have any authority to effect them in the afterlife. They would merely be wasting their time. In fact, Id be quite touched that someone cared enough about my ancestors to do something for them, even if i didnt think it meant anything.

See, there is this really cool thing called the First Amendment. You should read it then ask someone with an IQ of at least 100 to explain it to you.

And, if that group wants to baptize some sort of thing they think represents a dead family member of mine, I don't give a shit. It's not my family member; it's not their corpse, either. It's something else that has nothing to do with me or my family member.

What the hell is wrong with you?

*making voodoo doll of Syphon so that I can irrigate and bandage wounds s/he received from being repeatedly and regularly pummeled with the Stupid Stick*

Last edited:

and the windbag is on ignore. thank for proving you really fit the definition of a windbag every time you post.

I would suggest you get a thicker skin if you think QW said anything worth ignoring. you will meet many far worse on this board, and few better.

See, there is this really cool thing called the First Amendment. You should read it then ask someone with an IQ of at least 100 to explain it to you.

And, if that group wants to baptize some sort of thing they think represents a dead family member of mine, I don't give a shit. It's not my family member; it's not their corpse, either. It's something else that has nothing to do with me or my family member.

*making voodoo doll of Syphon so that I can irrigate and bandage wounds s/he received from being repeatedly and regularly pummeled with the Stupid Stick*
your failing to see that the Mormon church could be in violation of the first amendment. since they are baptizing someone without their permission and making them part of their faith. maybe you need someone to explain the first amendment to you.

Where are the getting the bodies from?

See, people volunteer their time and energy to act as proxies for those who have passed on without an opportunity to accept the Gospel, so that they too may have a choice.

Lots of people are willing to offer themselves as proxies to Redeem the dead.

your failing to see that the Mormon church could be in violation of the first amendment. since they are baptizing someone without their permission and making them part of their faith. maybe you need someone to explain the first amendment to you.

I assure you that it's impossible for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or any other Church big our small, to violate the First Amendment. You see, the First Amendment restrains the government. And no Church is the government.

Oh, really? The surviving family members of Daniel Pearl gave the Mormons his corpse?

Really?

Or, Daniel Pearl really didn't die and they kidnapped him and forced him to be baptized, and THEN they sent him back to Pakistan to get his head chopped off?

Got any links?

(You DO realize that Daniel Pearl was not baptized, nor was his corpse, right? No, really, you know that, right?)

I assure you that it's impossible for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or any other Church big our small, to violate the First Amendment. You see, the First Amendment restrains the government. And no Church is the government.
if a person of one faith is violating another persons faith, that is not a violation of the first amendment?

The horror!!!!

We need to outlaw voodoo dolls, too. And, any effigy burning should bring assault and murder charges to each and every protester.

There outta be a fucking law!

Oh, really? The surviving family members of Daniel Pearl gave the Mormons his corpse?

Really?

Or, Daniel Pearl really didn't die and they kidnapped him and forced him to be baptized, and THEN they sent him back to Pakistan to get his head chopped off?

Got any links?

(You DO realize that Daniel Pearl was not baptized, nor was his corpse, right? No, really, you know that, right?)
they use proxies, read the original link, it explains more.

Forum List

Back