Most Fargo flood victims did not have flood insurance.

Where is here?

According to this website:

FCIC: National Flood Insurance Guide

the average cost of flood insurance is $370 per year. That's not much, IMO, considering that if you need to use it, you get a house out of it.

BTW - I'm not trying to rag on the people of Fargo. Its actually quite impressive how they saved their town, and as a taxpayer, I'm fine with whatever money they need to rebuild being sent their way.

I just think its bullshit that the Sean Hannities of the world stood up and announced how irresponsible it was for Katrina victims to not have flood insurance. ALL of the victims that lived in what were designated as "high risk" flood zones were REQUIRED to have insurance and thus HAD insurance and were covered. Those who were uncovered were the ones living in the higher areas of the city which were designated as low risk and which were areas where one was not required to buy flood insurance. Those people are considered irresponsible jackasses by the Sean Hannties - while the people of Fargo who did they exact same thing are heroes.

then take it up with sean hannity

I'm surprised you didn't recommend I PM him.

i assumed you'd just roll over and whisper in his ear.

The Associated Press: AP Enterprise: Few in flood zone have insurance

MOORHEAD, Minn. (AP) — As the Red River crept within view of their backyard this past week, Denette and Billy Narum had an extra incentive to pray their sandbags held. Like most people in the path of potential floods, they have no flood insurance.

Fewer than 800 homeowners in the North Dakota and Minnesota communities most threatened by the swollen river hold insurance policies covering flood damage despite a decade-long push by state and federal officials to get people signed up, according to federal records obtained by The Associated Press.

I guess they didn't learn from Katrina.

They shouldn't be forced to get flood insurance. And if they don't have it and get flooded, too bad. But as we saw with Katrina, the government sent them tons of money and other government assistance regardless. Of course, the race card was played so the government felt obligated to pay, otherwise government officials would be labeled as 'racists' and we can't have that.

I don't guess you idiots caught the update.

its fairly recent, September of 05, so I can see why you missed it.

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | New Orleans violence 'overstated'

But I know, truth doesn't matter. If FOX news tells you there was widespread murder in the city, then it must be true, after all, its nothing but a bunch of n-----s, so fuck them.

Okay, I don't watch the MSM so I don't remember so many rape and murder stories about Katrina. I do remember seeing a video on youtube of people looting a Walmart, INCLUDING TWO COPS.

What were the cops taking? Food? Or plasma TV's? There's a big difference. One is a policeman doing his job in an emergency (a cop without food will quickly become useless) One is a thug who doesn't deserve to be classified as a person.

Sorry but the necessity of food and clean water in a massive emergency trumps the property rights of Wal mart and their insurance companies. And Wal Mart obviously agrees, considering they donated food, water, and money in addition to what was taken from their stores.

Would you prefer the police have taken food from Wal Mart - or from the homes of private citizens? The latter would have been not as safe, considering many of those private citizens were present and armed and it was not possible to tell always from looking at the exterior of a home whether it was empty or whether there was someone in it waiting with a shotgun

Last edited:

MOORHEAD, Minn. (AP) — As the Red River crept within view of their backyard this past week, Denette and Billy Narum had an extra incentive to pray their sandbags held. Like most people in the path of potential floods, they have no flood insurance.

Fewer than 800 homeowners in the North Dakota and Minnesota communities most threatened by the swollen river hold insurance policies covering flood damage despite a decade-long push by state and federal officials to get people signed up, according to federal records obtained by The Associated Press.

They shouldn't be forced to get flood insurance. And if they don't have it and get flooded, too bad. But as we saw with Katrina, the government sent them tons of money and other government assistance regardless. Of course, the race card was played so the government felt obligated to pay, otherwise government officials would be labeled as 'racists' and we can't have that.

Right. Lets just pretend like all those white folks living on the beach in Biloxi who had their homes washed out to sea didn't get a dime

You assertion that Katrina spending had anything to do with race appears to not be backed by any evidence you've provided (none) or any I can find on the web. Maybe you'd like to provide some, or shut up, or admit your a whiny white racist who can't stand to see black people victimized because it makes you feel guilt which makes you feel hate? Which is it?

I'm just wondering why all the conservatives aren't hear yelling about their lack of personal responsibility. I mean - they knew they lived next to a river, right? And their state government had been urging them to get flood insurance for a decade, right? And then they had the convenience of being able to learn from the mistakes of others - Katrina, right? Yet, still no flood insurance? In areas where you are not required by law to have it, its not that expensive at all.

I'm not sure what others consider expensive but around here flood insurance is expensive and people don't generally have it unless they are located in certain designated flood-prone areas and their mortgages require them to.

Where is here?

According to this website:

FCIC: National Flood Insurance Guide

the average cost of flood insurance is $370 per year. That's not much, IMO, considering that if you need to use it, you get a house out of it....

Eastern North Carolina. And it could be that it's much more expensive than that here due to our proximity to rivers and the potential for flood-inducing hurricanes.

For most people around here, the cost of flood insurance about doubles the cost of insuring their homes. And homeowner's insurance is costly to begin with, especially for those who're located in the area encompassed by the state Beach Plan.

And we're not on the beach here. We're well inland.

Right. Lets just pretend like all those white folks living on the beach in Biloxi who had their homes washed out to sea didn't get a dime

You assertion that Katrina spending had anything to do with race appears to not be backed by any evidence you've provided (none) or any I can find on the web. Maybe you'd like to provide some, or shut up, or admit your a whiny white racist who can't stand to see black people victimized because it makes you feel guilt which makes you feel hate? Which is it?

:lol: Why does everyone assume I am white? :lol:

Your insults are noted, but they don't add anything to the conversation. As far as the 'white folks living on the beach in Biloxi', who knows? Perhaps you can research that and get back with me. I'm obviously talking about the New Orleans area, the one that is below sea level and the outrage from the black leaders that forced the government to spend millions on bailing everyone out.

Perhaps the insurance companies wouldn't insure them for flood? I know I live in an earthquake prone area and my neighbors paid for their earthquake insurance for more than 30 years before Alstate told them they were no longer providing earthquake insurance.

I thank the Lord that I have USAA, it's non-profit for military vets and their dependents. My kids won't be able to get it. I don't know what my oldest will do for insurance. I think all insurance companies are as bad as our government, corrupt and money hungry.

Insurance companies sole concern is profit. Most people are concerned about saving money. The two don't mix. There are too many people who make really bad choices when it comes to purchasing insurance, and at the same time, insurance companies will at times not even offer insurance based on where you live.

Ideally, all homeowners should be required to carry home owners insurance, and insurance companies should be required to cover everyone for everything. The problem is that type of policy must be mandated, and then do you make it a national pool to determine rates or do you keep it local? By keeping it local, it can become too expensive for some homeowners. Then again, if the insurance is too expensive, maybe they shouldn't own the home in the first place. Lastly, this becomes a bit like healthcare. For some it becomes to expensive and so they go without. But do we want the government mandating and running everything in our lives? Probably not.

No real answers here, just things to think about. We do require people to wear their seat belts when they drive, but many would argue that is un-Constitutional also.

The only time I saw people in Biloxi on the news, was when they were thanking GOD for the sparing of lives even though they had lost everything. Never any of the demands of the Federal government we had to listen to from the assholes from New Orleans. Everywhere those leeches relocated, they have destroyed. They are human garbage and New Orleans was happy to get rid of them. They, flush with government cash, have destroyed the pricing of rent in apartment complexes throughout the places they ran to. Southwest Houston is so bad, the police don't even want to go there.

The fact is, New Orleans is a dead rotting dump and should have been condemned decades ago. It was truly a lost cause as soon as the lowlifes elected Morial. Nagin is just another in a long succession of asshole ripoff mayors that have helped destroy what was left of that toilet of a city.

Common sense tells you that if you live in a flood prone area, having flood insurance is a pretty good idea. If you choose to forgo flood insurance and get wiped out, that sucks but it was your choice not to get the insurance. Learn a lesson and don't make the same mistake again.

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | New Orleans violence 'overstated'

But I know, truth doesn't matter. If FOX news tells you there was widespread murder in the city, then it must be true, after all, its nothing but a bunch of n-----s, so fuck them.

Okay, I don't watch the MSM so I don't remember so many rape and murder stories about Katrina. I do remember seeing a video on youtube of people looting a Walmart, INCLUDING TWO COPS.

What were the cops taking? Food? Or plasma TV's? There's a big difference. One is a policeman doing his job in an emergency (a cop without food will quickly become useless) One is a thug who doesn't deserve to be classified as a person.

Sorry but the necessity of food and clean water in a massive emergency trumps the property rights of Wal mart and their insurance companies. And Wal Mart obviously agrees, considering they donated food, water, and money in addition to what was taken from their stores.

Would you prefer the police have taken food from Wal Mart - or from the homes of private citizens? The latter would have been not as safe, considering many of those private citizens were present and armed and it was not possible to tell always from looking at the exterior of a home whether it was empty or whether there was someone in it waiting with a shotgun

They were looting along with the other looters, and there was no food in that particular walmart, nor in their cart. Shoes and clothes, yes, don't remember what else, but no food. It was their job to STOP the looters, not to JOIN them.

Federal flood insurance is the stupidest thing the government does.

They are subsidizing insurance so people will build in flood zones.

What they should do is tear down houses in flood zones and turn them into parks.

What they should do is tear down houses in flood zones and turn them into parks.

more Stalinist rhetoric from chrissy.

Really, sounds like common sense to me. Why would anyone build in a flood zone if they can avoid it? Why would the government provide insurance if private insurance companies won't?

Really, sounds like common sense to me. Why would anyone build in a flood zone if they can avoid it? Why would the government provide insurance if private insurance companies won't?

because it was their dream to own property on the river.

so in other words, the idiots DESERVE to go bankrupt? lose their houses?

what a jackass you are.

If you live in a flood zone, and you don't have flood insurance, you are risking losing all of your worldly possessions in a matter of days. It's fucking stupid.

It would be like living in Florida (which I do) and not having hurricane coverage.

Aren't people responsible for protecting their own assets?

For the record, I said the same damn thing about Katrina. Any of us who live on the gulf close (including me) are well-informed about what we need to do to prepare for hurricanes. this isn't the first time that Grand Forks and other communities have suffered severe flooding.

He's actually correct.

People who build multimillion dollar estates on the coast and then expect the taxpayers to foot the bill because they are uninsurable...same as welfare, only worse.

so in other words, the idiots DESERVE to go bankrupt? lose their houses?

what a jackass you are.

If you live in a flood zone, and you don't have flood insurance, you are risking losing all of your worldly possessions in a matter of days. It's fucking stupid.

It would be like living in Florida (which I do) and not having hurricane coverage.

Aren't people responsible for protecting their own assets?

For the record, I said the same damn thing about Katrina. Any of us who live on the gulf close (including me) are well-informed about what we need to do to prepare for hurricanes. this isn't the first time that Grand Forks and other communities have suffered severe flooding.

I'm not saying we should "bail them out". only that supertube shouldn't be passing judgement.

Forum List

Back