Mother of 4 deported

I just saw this story on CNN. This mother of 4 got caught trying to cross the border with a fake visa 20 years ago, because of this she couldn't not get another visa but was told she could stay in the US but had to check in with ICE twice a year, which she did for the past 18 years. Now her entire family is here (mother, husband, 4 children and they are all American citizens. CNN covers her journey to check in with ICE as they were all nervous about the changes that came with President Trump.

She met with ICE and they told her she was good for another year. She left the building, gave her children hugs and then got called back in by ICE to find out that they were deporting her in July.

I get deporting violent criminals, I hear people asking Trump and his surrogates what they will do with non-violent criminal illegal immigrants and I hear them kicking the can saying they will deal with it later. But then I see stories like this were a mother who is not a violent criminal gets deported and a family is ripped apart.

Thoughts?

The inaction of other administrations doesn't prevent this one from following the law. She should have never been allowed to remain in the country in the first place. Knowing she was subject to deportation, she chose to have a family anyways, her choices put her in this situation, now she can accept the consequences.

Thats your opinion and thats fine. Do you understand my objections and why I think it is fucked up? or does it just baffle you that somebody could feel that way?

Feel free to feel anyway you want, logic and the law says she should have been deported 18 years ago when she reentered the country, she didn't have her family then. She knew she wasn't eligible, without a presidential pardon, for legal status. Why didn't she pursue one over the last 18 years, that covers 3 administrations? Like I said, her choices put her and her family in this position, bad choices bring bad consequences.

Let me summarize:

We have this woman who tried to use fake documents to illegally gain access to our country.
In the 18 years she was here, it was too much trouble for her to learn at least some of our language.
In spite of here uncertainty, she had FOUR kids anyway.
Unless her husband has a hell of a good paying job where he has the ability to support a family of six, it's more than likely our tax dollars are supporting this family.
So then the question is, how are we so heatless to show no empathy for her plight?????
You're funny man... Way to paint a narrative, gotta give you points on creativity. Next time you summarize a situation try using the facts presented, not your biased assumptions.

Outside of these kids being on some kind of public support, all I used were facts. In Chicago, in order to support a family of six, you would have to be doing well into six figures in income.

Now, is there anything on my list outside of welfare that was not a fact?

You're right, then I would have probably been put on probation and if I followed what I was instructed to do i sure as hell hope it wouldn't come back to bite me in the ass 18 years later.
Right? And this is what happens when we don't obey/enforce the law. Had the Clinton Administration done the right thing 20 years ago, this wouldn't be an issue today. You're literally proving our point for us.
Whats your point?
The point is that your proving our point for us. You're advocating a return to the policies that created this mess in the first place. If we do the right thing now (deport her criminal ass), the problem is mitigated. If we allow her to stay (like the Clinton Administration did), we get more of this exact mess in the future.
Lets try again... My point is that deporting this lady is messed up and not a smart way to deal with the immigration problem... What point are you trying to make?

I just saw this story on CNN. This mother of 4 got caught trying to cross the border with a fake visa 20 years ago, because of this she couldn't not get another visa but was told she could stay in the US but had to check in with ICE twice a year, which she did for the past 18 years. Now her entire family is here (mother, husband, 4 children and they are all American citizens. CNN covers her journey to check in with ICE as they were all nervous about the changes that came with President Trump.

She met with ICE and they told her she was good for another year. She left the building, gave her children hugs and then got called back in by ICE to find out that they were deporting her in July.

I get deporting violent criminals, I hear people asking Trump and his surrogates what they will do with non-violent criminal illegal immigrants and I hear them kicking the can saying they will deal with it later. But then I see stories like this were a mother who is not a violent criminal gets deported and a family is ripped apart.

Thoughts?

The problem is when it was first discovered she had used false documents to obtain the visa that brought her here, she should have been immediately deported and not allowed to hang around for 18 years. Deporting her sends exactly the right policy message, if you enter the US illegally you will be deported, but she can always appeal this decision if she thinks her case deserves special consideration, so the policy is both firm and humane.

Too bad people think they can drag their kids into this as an excuse to violate immigration laws and think we are fooled. Dreamers or anchor babies, Immigrants or illegal aliens. Euphemisms. Nobody is above the laws. Not even Mexicans. That might be a shocker. But it's true.
You saw the story, for 18 years she checked in with ICE and was told she could stay. Her mother is a citizen, her husband is a citizen, her four kids are citizens. She can't get papers because of what she did 20 years ago. Does this really sound right to you?

What she did was a felony, she should have never been allowed to stay.
I'm curious... Do you think every kid in school with a fake ID should be charged with a felony?

What does the law say? It's a simple concept, you enforce the law or you don't.

I've conceded multiple times on this thread that I think its a good idea to have strong borders, enforce laws, improve our visa tracking system etc.
And yet all of a sudden, magically, you don't want to have the law enforced. :eusa_doh:
True, in cases like these I don't think we can round up 10+ million people and kick them out of our country. That is not even close to a smart solution. Those 10+ million people that you like to call criminals are now part of the fabric of our society and economy, you can't just take that element away and expect positive results. So the system needs reform.

I didn't go to the link, but I have another question about this case:

She is a mother of four. She is an illegal so she shouldn't be employed anywhere. The question I have is, how is she supporting these four children in her position? We have legals and many American born people here that can't support a family of five.
Board is slow?? Link took forever?
18 years and speaks no English on camera? Huh? I was in Seoul for 5 weeks and learned 13 high words. And I am unemployed useless human garbage. She don't know anything? And her Pastor and Lawyer was there? Wth? I don't have a lawyer!

Tablet or board barely useable. Dont make me go to PC or I will go on posting binge!

I just watched the story, and I noticed she didn't speak a word of English either. HTF can you be so lazy to live in a country for 18 years and not learn the language?

This woman stinks all around, and I can't help but to believe that CNN is leaving out a lot of facts.
Perhaps, I've seen enough lies in our media to take it all with a grain of salt. But I also saw enough to show that she wan't a violent criminal and its very unlikely she poses a thread to our society. There are many families sitting in the same situation as the one in the video. The tough guy, kick em out attitude that many of you are pissing out there is just plain ugly. I'm fine with enforcing the law at the border... But you have to be an idiot of you think you can kick 10+ million people out of the country and you'd have to be an even bigger idiot of you don't realize that serious reform needs to happen with our currently situation of undocumented immigrants

To my knowledge, we have no law or agreement that as long as you're not a violent criminal, you get to stay in this country illegally.
We have the statements from our leadership that say they are going after violent criminals and then we see stories like this.

Going after means targeting them. If they run across an illegal here or there, it doesn't mean they get a free pass.

Too bad people think they can drag their kids into this as an excuse to violate immigration laws and think we are fooled. Dreamers or anchor babies, Immigrants or illegal aliens. Euphemisms. Nobody is above the laws. Not even Mexicans. That might be a shocker. But it's true.
You saw the story, for 18 years she checked in with ICE and was told she could stay. Her mother is a citizen, her husband is a citizen, her four kids are citizens. She can't get papers because of what she did 20 years ago. Does this really sound right to you?

No, it does not.

But she is the victim of a backlash that comes from the laast administration turning it's back on the issue.

It's only going to get more ugly.

You're right, then I would have probably been put on probation and if I followed what I was instructed to do i sure as hell hope it wouldn't come back to bite me in the ass 18 years later.
Right? And this is what happens when we don't obey/enforce the law. Had the Clinton Administration done the right thing 20 years ago, this wouldn't be an issue today. You're literally proving our point for us.
Whats your point?
The point is that your proving our point for us. You're advocating a return to the policies that created this mess in the first place. If we do the right thing now (deport her criminal ass), the problem is mitigated. If we allow her to stay (like the Clinton Administration did), we get more of this exact mess in the future.
Lets try again... My point is that deporting this lady is messed up and not a smart way to deal with the immigration problem... What point are you trying to make?
Care to quantify how it's "not smart"? You keep saying it so I'm assuming there is some terrible consequence that we should all be concerned about regarding this outcome. Do tell.

I've conceded multiple times on this thread that I think its a good idea to have strong borders, enforce laws, improve our visa tracking system etc.
And yet all of a sudden, magically, you don't want to have the law enforced. :eusa_doh:
True, in cases like these I don't think we can round up 10+ million people and kick them out of our country. That is not even close to a smart solution. Those 10+ million people that you like to call criminals are now part of the fabric of our society and economy, you can't just take that element away and expect positive results. So the system needs reform.

By needing reform, you mean make things easier for them to come or stay here? Sorry, that doesn't fly.

It's stories like these that will make other illegals think about not sticking around. Self-deportation. It's already working on reducing the amount of people trying to get in. So we are on the right track.

Whats your point?
That we should enforce the law. Impartially. Consistently. Unbiasedly.

True, in cases like these I don't think we can round up 10+ million people and kick them out of our country.
So let me get this straight - we were able to track down Saddam Hussein (the proverbial needle in the ultimate haystack) and we were able to track down Osama Bin Laden (yet another proverbial needle in the ultimate haystack), but we can't find illegal aliens and kick them the hell out of our country?

You're not fooling anyone. Not even yourself.

Thoughts?

The inaction of other administrations doesn't prevent this one from following the law. She should have never been allowed to remain in the country in the first place. Knowing she was subject to deportation, she chose to have a family anyways, her choices put her in this situation, now she can accept the consequences.

Thats your opinion and thats fine. Do you understand my objections and why I think it is fucked up? or does it just baffle you that somebody could feel that way?

Feel free to feel anyway you want, logic and the law says she should have been deported 18 years ago when she reentered the country, she didn't have her family then. She knew she wasn't eligible, without a presidential pardon, for legal status. Why didn't she pursue one over the last 18 years, that covers 3 administrations? Like I said, her choices put her and her family in this position, bad choices bring bad consequences.

Obama had the dreamers act that and there has been decades of political propaganda talking about immigration reform, so it makes sense that she was waiting for something to happen that would allow her to register and stay. In the mean time she checked in with ICE like she was told to do and did her best to live her life. I agree should should have been deported 20 years ago with the fake visa but she wasn't, she was allowed to stay of 18 years... I get that you want to be a tough ass about immigration but I think if any of you had a family member, coworker or friend who was stuck in the middle of a situation like this you would feel that something was wrong.

Let me summarize:

We have this woman who tried to use fake documents to illegally gain access to our country.
In the 18 years she was here, it was too much trouble for her to learn at least some of our language.
Unless her husband has a hell of a good paying job where he has the ability to support a family of six, it's more than likely our tax dollars are supporting this family.
So then the question is, how are we so heatless to show no empathy for her plight?????
You're funny man... Way to paint a narrative, gotta give you points on creativity. Next time you summarize a situation try using the facts presented, not your biased assumptions.

Outside of these kids being on some kind of public support, all I used were facts. In Chicago, in order to support a family of six, you would have to be doing well into six figures in income.

You made 4 points 2 of which were total speculation. You don't know what she doesn't speak english... just because she didn't on camera doesn't mean she doesn't speak english. Perhaps she was nervous and wanted to speak in her foreign tongue... And you have no clue about the financial situation of their family which you already admitted.

Thoughts?

The problem is when it was first discovered she had used false documents to obtain the visa that brought her here, she should have been immediately deported and not allowed to hang around for 18 years. Deporting her sends exactly the right policy message, if you enter the US illegally you will be deported, but she can always appeal this decision if she thinks her case deserves special consideration, so the policy is both firm and humane.

I agree, but thats not what happened... and 18 years later you see whats happening... If somebody got caught at the border with fake papers I'm all for sending them back to where they came from. I do not think they should get to stay here for 18 years and have a family while checking in with ICE. But in this story, that is exactly what happened. It aint right

Thoughts?

She broke the law. Why am I supposed to shed a tear? I have no right to go to another country and expect the right of citizenship; yet, you think we're beholden to a double standard. Fuck that. That's my thoughts.

What she did was a felony, she should have never been allowed to stay.
I'm curious... Do you think every kid in school with a fake ID should be charged with a felony?

What does the law say? It's a simple concept, you enforce the law or you don't.
The law also says to not speed but if i'm driving my buddy to the hospital while he is having a seizure and a cop gives me a ticket for doing 65 in a 55... I'm going to state my objections.

Let me summarize:

You made 4 points 2 of which were total speculation. You don't know what she doesn't speak english... just because she didn't on camera doesn't mean she doesn't speak english. Perhaps she was nervous and wanted to speak in her foreign tongue... And you have no clue about the financial situation of their family which you already admitted.
No. No. get it right. Not "her foreign tongue". Her "native" tongue! Your mealy mouthed attempts the grant this invader equivalency with Americans will not go unchecked.

Forum List

Back