Mother of 4 deported

I just saw this story on CNN. This mother of 4 got caught trying to cross the border with a fake visa 20 years ago, because of this she couldn't not get another visa but was told she could stay in the US but had to check in with ICE twice a year, which she did for the past 18 years. Now her entire family is here (mother, husband, 4 children and they are all American citizens. CNN covers her journey to check in with ICE as they were all nervous about the changes that came with President Trump.

She met with ICE and they told her she was good for another year. She left the building, gave her children hugs and then got called back in by ICE to find out that they were deporting her in July.

I get deporting violent criminals, I hear people asking Trump and his surrogates what they will do with non-violent criminal illegal immigrants and I hear them kicking the can saying they will deal with it later. But then I see stories like this were a mother who is not a violent criminal gets deported and a family is ripped apart.

Thoughts?

The problem is when it was first discovered she had used false documents to obtain the visa that brought her here, she should have been immediately deported and not allowed to hang around for 18 years. Deporting her sends exactly the right policy message, if you enter the US illegally you will be deported, but she can always appeal this decision if she thinks her case deserves special consideration, so the policy is both firm and humane.

I agree, but thats not what happened... and 18 years later you see whats happening... If somebody got caught at the border with fake papers I'm all for sending them back to where they came from. I do not think they should get to stay here for 18 years and have a family while checking in with ICE. But in this story, that is exactly what happened. It aint right

First, she wasn't caught at the border. She arrived here using false documents to obtain a visa and it wasn't until she applied for a green card that the investigation revealed she was her illegally. At that point she was given a choice, return home or live here year by year without any guarantee you will be able to stay for another year. She chose to raise a family here under those circumstances, so while this is a tragedy for the family, it is a tragedy to chose to risk.

You make a good argument. I don't disagree with your points. My disagreement is with the system that allows deportations like this to happen and I do think that there is a moral problem with what happened here, not particularly a legal one.

There was something wrong with the system when she was allowed to stay here 18 years ago, but I don't see anything wrong with the system as it is working now. She made some wrong choices in the past and it is sad her family will now have to pay for them, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the way the system is working today.

You make a good argument. I don't disagree with your points. My disagreement is with the system that allows deportations like this to happen and I do think that there is a moral problem with what happened here, not particularly a legal one.
Yeah - the "moral problem here" is that she lacked morals and attempted to obtain a visa with false credentials. That is further compounded by the severe "moral problem here" that you want to absolve her of all personal responsibility and blame all of society for her self-created problems.
I think it is immoral and pretty fucked up for our Immigration agency to allow her to stay here for 18 years then kick her out. Its fucked up to her, her family and her community.

Yeah - the "moral problem here" is that she lacked morals and attempted to obtain a visa with false credentials. That is further compounded by the severe "moral problem here" that you want to absolve her of all personal responsibility and blame all of society for her self-created problems.
I think it is immoral and pretty fucked up for our Immigration agency to allow her to stay here for 18 years then kick her out. Its fucked up to her, her family and her community.
Yeah... I'm sure the community she's infiltrated will collapse without her in it... For the record: It's not her community. Her community is south of the border.

I just saw this story on CNN. This mother of 4 got caught trying to cross the border with a fake visa 20 years ago, because of this she couldn't not get another visa but was told she could stay in the US but had to check in with ICE twice a year, which she did for the past 18 years. Now her entire family is here (mother, husband, 4 children and they are all American citizens. CNN covers her journey to check in with ICE as they were all nervous about the changes that came with President Trump.

She met with ICE and they told her she was good for another year. She left the building, gave her children hugs and then got called back in by ICE to find out that they were deporting her in July.

I get deporting violent criminals, I hear people asking Trump and his surrogates what they will do with non-violent criminal illegal immigrants and I hear them kicking the can saying they will deal with it later. But then I see stories like this were a mother who is not a violent criminal gets deported and a family is ripped apart.

Thoughts?

The inaction of other administrations doesn't prevent this one from following the law. She should have never been allowed to remain in the country in the first place. Knowing she was subject to deportation, she chose to have a family anyways, her choices put her in this situation, now she can accept the consequences.

Thats your opinion and thats fine. Do you understand my objections and why I think it is fucked up? or does it just baffle you that somebody could feel that way?

Feel free to feel anyway you want, logic and the law says she should have been deported 18 years ago when she reentered the country, she didn't have her family then. She knew she wasn't eligible, without a presidential pardon, for legal status. Why didn't she pursue one over the last 18 years, that covers 3 administrations? Like I said, her choices put her and her family in this position, bad choices bring bad consequences.

Obama had the dreamers act that and there has been decades of political propaganda talking about immigration reform, so it makes sense that she was waiting for something to happen that would allow her to register and stay. In the mean time she checked in with ICE like she was told to do and did her best to live her life. I agree should should have been deported 20 years ago with the fake visa but she wasn't, she was allowed to stay of 18 years... I get that you want to be a tough ass about immigration but I think if any of you had a family member, coworker or friend who was stuck in the middle of a situation like this you would feel that something was wrong.

Once again, it goes back to choices. She chose to wait and see, instead of being proactive and requesting a sure fire fix. This is what wait and see got her, deal with it.

You are right, it was a risk... she went through 3 presidents over the course of 18 years that all took steps towards inclusion and acceptance of people in her situation. At the same time ICE was allowing her to stay. While I do not think ICE did anything illegal, I don't think i'm out of line to say that it was fucked up

The fact that you don't think the immigration system needs reform tells me that you are pretty out of touch about this topic.
The fact that you do tells me you are a partisan hack. We have an immigration system. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it other than the fact that Barack Obama and the Dumbocrats refuse to enforce the law.

Your inability to even articulate why you believe we need to "reform" the immigration system speaks volumes. Again, it is akin to not enforcing the speed limit and then insisting that we need to "reform the speed limits" when people start dying. Uh....no. All we need to do is enforce the laws. They exist for a reason.
Every politician Left Right and Center speaks about the need for Immigration reform. Here is a link to Trumps plan. Would you mind sending a link to anybody who you respect that thinks that no reform is needed?

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Immigration-Reform-Trump.pdf

The fact that you don't think the immigration system needs reform tells me that you are pretty out of touch about this topic.
The fact that you do tells me you are a partisan hack. We have an immigration system. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it other than the fact that Barack Obama and the Dumbocrats refuse to enforce the law.

Your inability to even articulate why you believe we need to "reform" the immigration system speaks volumes. Again, it is akin to not enforcing the speed limit and then insisting that we need to "reform the speed limits" when people start dying. Uh....no. All we need to do is enforce the laws. They exist for a reason.
I can articulate if very simply. Our current system has allowed 10's of millions of people to enter and live in our country without documentation. These people do some of the hardest work for shit pay and are exploited by our employers and in our legal system. We have 10's of millions of people who live in the shadows with fake ID's or no ID's in fear of being deported. These people are members of our communities and have children who were born here and are US citizens. The status quo is not good, it needs to be fixed. I can't explain it any clearer and if you really don't see a problem or need for reform then there just isn't anything more I can do for you.

I feel sorry for her but there's little choice of what can be done if you want to send a message and stop the problem. It should help stem the flow of illegals trekking through the desert here in Arizona and thus save some lives.
Thats easy to say when it doesn't personally effect you. They all become pawns on the chessboard but we forget these are real people with real families.

Thoughts?

The problem is when it was first discovered she had used false documents to obtain the visa that brought her here, she should have been immediately deported and not allowed to hang around for 18 years. Deporting her sends exactly the right policy message, if you enter the US illegally you will be deported, but she can always appeal this decision if she thinks her case deserves special consideration, so the policy is both firm and humane.

I agree, but thats not what happened... and 18 years later you see whats happening... If somebody got caught at the border with fake papers I'm all for sending them back to where they came from. I do not think they should get to stay here for 18 years and have a family while checking in with ICE. But in this story, that is exactly what happened. It aint right

First, she wasn't caught at the border. She arrived here using false documents to obtain a visa and it wasn't until she applied for a green card that the investigation revealed she was her illegally. At that point she was given a choice, return home or live here year by year without any guarantee you will be able to stay for another year. She chose to raise a family here under those circumstances, so while this is a tragedy for the family, it is a tragedy to chose to risk.

There was something wrong with the system when she was allowed to stay here 18 years ago, but I don't see anything wrong with the system as it is working now. She made some wrong choices in the past and it is sad her family will now have to pay for them, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the way the system is working today.

I disagree... I think Reagan had a big heart and did the right thing with his amnesty act. They failed to secure the border following that act and that lead to a bigger problem. Obama was of the same mindset and I believe did the right thing with DACA. It was the humane thing to do. IMO it needs to go further... Secure the border, improve visa tracking, and provide a pathway to legal status for the undocumented people living in this country. I don't see why anybody would disagree with any of the 3 points I just made.

I feel sorry for her but there's little choice of what can be done if you want to send a message and stop the problem. It should help stem the flow of illegals trekking through the desert here in Arizona and thus save some lives.
Thats easy to say when it doesn't personally effect you. They all become pawns on the chessboard but we forget these are real people with real families.
They're fucking criminals, can't you get that through your head?

They are fucking human beings trying to live a fucking life you entitled prick.

Thoughts?

Good. Get that illegal bitch out of the country.

They're fucking parasites living off our taxpayers, you ignorant asshole.

Too bad people think they can drag their kids into this as an excuse to violate immigration laws and think we are fooled. Dreamers or anchor babies, Immigrants or illegal aliens. Euphemisms. Nobody is above the laws. Not even Mexicans. That might be a shocker. But it's true.
You saw the story, for 18 years she checked in with ICE and was told she could stay. Her mother is a citizen, her husband is a citizen, her four kids are citizens. She can't get papers because of what she did 20 years ago. Does this really sound right to you?
So her husband and rest of her family did it without getting caught thus she feels like she shouldn't be punished simply because she was the one who got caught.

The inaction of other administrations doesn't prevent this one from following the law. She should have never been allowed to remain in the country in the first place. Knowing she was subject to deportation, she chose to have a family anyways, her choices put her in this situation, now she can accept the consequences.
Thats your opinion and thats fine. Do you understand my objections and why I think it is fucked up? or does it just baffle you that somebody could feel that way?

Feel free to feel anyway you want, logic and the law says she should have been deported 18 years ago when she reentered the country, she didn't have her family then. She knew she wasn't eligible, without a presidential pardon, for legal status. Why didn't she pursue one over the last 18 years, that covers 3 administrations? Like I said, her choices put her and her family in this position, bad choices bring bad consequences.
Obama had the dreamers act that and there has been decades of political propaganda talking about immigration reform, so it makes sense that she was waiting for something to happen that would allow her to register and stay. In the mean time she checked in with ICE like she was told to do and did her best to live her life. I agree should should have been deported 20 years ago with the fake visa but she wasn't, she was allowed to stay of 18 years... I get that you want to be a tough ass about immigration but I think if any of you had a family member, coworker or friend who was stuck in the middle of a situation like this you would feel that something was wrong.

Once again, it goes back to choices. She chose to wait and see, instead of being proactive and requesting a sure fire fix. This is what wait and see got her, deal with it.
You are right, it was a risk... she went through 3 presidents over the course of 18 years that all took steps towards inclusion and acceptance of people in her situation. At the same time ICE was allowing her to stay. While I do not think ICE did anything illegal, I don't think i'm out of line to say that it was fucked up

Yep, 3 different administrations to request a pardon from and she didn't, even though it was her only known path for legal status. Right now she is an illegal with a felony, and we finally have an administration that is enforcing the law. That's the long and the short of it.

And they can live that life where they belong. In Mexico!

Thoughts?

Good.

Why didnt she apply for citizenship.....how was she paying her bills....
She did apply, she couldn't get papers because of the visa violation. She was told she could stay if she reported to ICE twice a year which she did for 18 years.

Forum List

Back