Mother of 4 deported

I just saw this story on CNN. This mother of 4 got caught trying to cross the border with a fake visa 20 years ago, because of this she couldn't not get another visa but was told she could stay in the US but had to check in with ICE twice a year, which she did for the past 18 years. Now her entire family is here (mother, husband, 4 children and they are all American citizens. CNN covers her journey to check in with ICE as they were all nervous about the changes that came with President Trump.

She met with ICE and they told her she was good for another year. She left the building, gave her children hugs and then got called back in by ICE to find out that they were deporting her in July.

I get deporting violent criminals, I hear people asking Trump and his surrogates what they will do with non-violent criminal illegal immigrants and I hear them kicking the can saying they will deal with it later. But then I see stories like this were a mother who is not a violent criminal gets deported and a family is ripped apart.

Thoughts?

The woman's predicament is caused by her own choices. She chose to come here illegally and she chose to remain her illegally. She could of come forward at any time and applied for citizenship, yet she chose not to. This issue has been in the headlines for years now. But instead of doing anything, she chose to do nothing.

She tried to and they wouldn't let her because of the visa violation. But she was told that she could stay here if she checked in with ICE twice a year, which she did for 18 years. This is the 20th time i've typed this fact because you all keep ignoring it. But i'll keep typing if because its the whole point of whats fucked up about this situation

If ICE had enforced the law then she should of been deported.

The problem is when it was first discovered she had used false documents to obtain the visa that brought her here, she should have been immediately deported and not allowed to hang around for 18 years. Deporting her sends exactly the right policy message, if you enter the US illegally you will be deported, but she can always appeal this decision if she thinks her case deserves special consideration, so the policy is both firm and humane.
I agree, but thats not what happened... and 18 years later you see whats happening... If somebody got caught at the border with fake papers I'm all for sending them back to where they came from. I do not think they should get to stay here for 18 years and have a family while checking in with ICE. But in this story, that is exactly what happened. It aint right
First, she wasn't caught at the border. She arrived here using false documents to obtain a visa and it wasn't until she applied for a green card that the investigation revealed she was her illegally. At that point she was given a choice, return home or live here year by year without any guarantee you will be able to stay for another year. She chose to raise a family here under those circumstances, so while this is a tragedy for the family, it is a tragedy to chose to risk.
You make a good argument. I don't disagree with your points. My disagreement is with the system that allows deportations like this to happen and I do think that there is a moral problem with what happened here, not particularly a legal one.
There was something wrong with the system when she was allowed to stay here 18 years ago, but I don't see anything wrong with the system as it is working now. She made some wrong choices in the past and it is sad her family will now have to pay for them, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the way the system is working today.
I disagree... I think Reagan had a big heart and did the right thing with his amnesty act. They failed to secure the border following that act and that lead to a bigger problem. Obama was of the same mindset and I believe did the right thing with DACA. It was the humane thing to do. IMO it needs to go further... Secure the border, improve visa tracking, and provide a pathway to legal status for the undocumented people living in this country. I don't see why anybody would disagree with any of the 3 points I just made.
Reagan did have a big heart and it led to some bad policy decisions. At the same time, there was a demand for cheap labor at that time, especially from the southwest and within the Republican Party. It is always a mistake to choose not to enforce a law rather than to change it. Obama, imo, was just a politician who was interested in capturing the Hispanic vote.

President Trump is taking measures to enforce the law as it is written, while Reagan and Obama took measures to avoid enforcing the law as it is written. You can't effectively control the border if you send out the message, as Reagan did, that if you get here illegally, we will allow you to stay here on a year to year basis forever, or even worse, to send out the message, as Obama did, that if you get here illegally we will give you a path to citizenship. That's just bad policy and bad government.

I just saw this story on CNN. This mother of 4 got caught trying to cross the border with a fake visa 20 years ago, because of this she couldn't not get another visa but was told she could stay in the US but had to check in with ICE twice a year, which she did for the past 18 years. Now her entire family is here (mother, husband, 4 children and they are all American citizens. CNN covers her journey to check in with ICE as they were all nervous about the changes that came with President Trump.

She met with ICE and they told her she was good for another year. She left the building, gave her children hugs and then got called back in by ICE to find out that they were deporting her in July.

I get deporting violent criminals, I hear people asking Trump and his surrogates what they will do with non-violent criminal illegal immigrants and I hear them kicking the can saying they will deal with it later. But then I see stories like this were a mother who is not a violent criminal gets deported and a family is ripped apart.

Thoughts?

CNN. This mother of 4 got caught trying to cross the border with a fake visa 20 years ago, Thoughts?

Crime doesn't pay.

Thanks for revealing how a simple brain works. Read the first sentence and last sentence and you got it all figured out... way to go!

Came here illegally.....now get out.

Lets be honest... She came here illegally, she was told she could stay if she checked in with ICE twice a year, she did so for 18 years, she now has a life and family, she is now being deported after a voluntary check in with ICE.

That sits right with you?

So do we all have documentation of this, or are we taking her word for it?

I say we fire everyone at ICE, NIS, etc. that has ever been in contact with her and let her stay!

She violated our immigration laws. Has she been violating our election laws as well and voting in our elections?
She violated the law 20 years ago then complied for the last 18. Got no clue about the voting.

By your own admission, she did not comply for 18 years or she would have left the country.

WILLHAFTAWAITE and Doc1... Did either of you put yourself in the position of this lady or her family. Think for just a second, what if this happened to my family?

Give one second to look at this with empathy or are you that selfish and entitled that you don't think that way about others?
My family is legal and I DO have a problem NEITHER of my Brother in laws can get in the Country from the Philippines because of legal wait and lists. So go cry your river of tears for those here illegally to someone else.

I agree, but thats not what happened... and 18 years later you see whats happening... If somebody got caught at the border with fake papers I'm all for sending them back to where they came from. I do not think they should get to stay here for 18 years and have a family while checking in with ICE. But in this story, that is exactly what happened. It aint right
First, she wasn't caught at the border. She arrived here using false documents to obtain a visa and it wasn't until she applied for a green card that the investigation revealed she was her illegally. At that point she was given a choice, return home or live here year by year without any guarantee you will be able to stay for another year. She chose to raise a family here under those circumstances, so while this is a tragedy for the family, it is a tragedy to chose to risk.
You make a good argument. I don't disagree with your points. My disagreement is with the system that allows deportations like this to happen and I do think that there is a moral problem with what happened here, not particularly a legal one.
There was something wrong with the system when she was allowed to stay here 18 years ago, but I don't see anything wrong with the system as it is working now. She made some wrong choices in the past and it is sad her family will now have to pay for them, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the way the system is working today.
I disagree... I think Reagan had a big heart and did the right thing with his amnesty act. They failed to secure the border following that act and that lead to a bigger problem. Obama was of the same mindset and I believe did the right thing with DACA. It was the humane thing to do. IMO it needs to go further... Secure the border, improve visa tracking, and provide a pathway to legal status for the undocumented people living in this country. I don't see why anybody would disagree with any of the 3 points I just made.
Reagan did have a big heart and it led to some bad policy decisions. At the same time, there was a demand for cheap labor at that time, especially from the southwest and within the Republican Party. It is always a mistake to choose not to enforce a law rather than to change it. Obama, imo, was just a politician who was interested in capturing the Hispanic vote.

President Trump is taking measures to enforce the law as it is written, while Reagan and Obama took measures to avoid enforcing the law as it is written. You can't effectively control the border if you send out the message, as Reagan did, that if you get here illegally, we will allow you to stay here on a year to year basis forever, or even worse, to send out the message, as Obama did, that if you get here illegally we will give you a path to citizenship. That's just bad policy and bad government.

Where do you get that Reagan did not enforce the law? He changed the law!

Thoughts?

The woman's predicament is caused by her own choices. She chose to come here illegally and she chose to remain her illegally. She could of come forward at any time and applied for citizenship, yet she chose not to. This issue has been in the headlines for years now. But instead of doing anything, she chose to do nothing.

If any politicians are to blame for her predicament, it's the open borders douche bags who refused to enforce the law for 20 years.

You could probably trace it back to Reagan but regardless of whose fault it is the fact remains that she was told what to do and she did it. She now has a life and a family of American citizens who live her. I understand you are an immigration hard ass and thats fine. But acknowledging the human side of this situation and admitting that some fucked up things are happening is what needs to happen to close the gap.

The race card gets played too much, but when you take a hard headed heartless attitude in the face of these types of situations it really does make you come off as racists. Do you understand that?

Twenty years ago, Bill Clinton was president and had been for 4 years.

Where do you get that Reagan did not enforce the law? He changed the law!
Unless I'm mistaken, he issued an executive order and did not change the law.

When I see illegal aliens come and go over the border, with NO regard to their own children, then come back yet gain.... If illegal aliens either use their own children as ploys cynically or just come back after they are deported, as if their kids were disposable, WHY SHOULD ANY ONE ELSE CARE? Please.

Thoughts?

How are they all American citizens but her?

I don't have the background of her family members so I'll have to assume her husband and mother immigrated legally and her children where born here. She wasn't able to get another visa after her violation 20 years ago but was allowed to stay as long as she checked in with ICE twice a year which she did for the past 18 years.

Partisanship aside, there is something wrong here on a human level, wouldn't you agree?

No I would not agree, she is in violation of the law. My brothers in law can not get in because leeches like this are sucking up resources and lowering allowed those from other Countries.

If any politicians are to blame for her predicament, it's the open borders douche bags who refused to enforce the law for 20 years.
You could probably trace it back to Reagan but regardless of whose fault it is the fact remains that she was told what to do and she did it. She now has a life and a family of American citizens who live her. I understand you are an immigration hard ass and thats fine. But acknowledging the human side of this situation and admitting that some fucked up things are happening is what needs to happen to close the gap.

The race card gets played too much, but when you take a hard headed heartless attitude in the face of these types of situations it really does make you come off as racists. Do you understand that?

That begs the question: if she was in this country for 20 years, why was she not working on getting a citizenship or a green card? 20 years and she supposedly reported to ICE twice a year? There is something missing to this story that I don't understand.
She tried and they wouldn't give it to her because of her visa violation. she was told to check in with ICE

She had to apply for the visa from HER country. One does not get to sneak in, then apply and get approved. One returns home when caught and applies from there. That's what she's not telling you. She COULD have applied and been approved in these 20 years. She chose the easier but riskier option.

I do not believe she wasn't told why her visa was denied. I do not believe she wasn't explained how to do it properly. She just didn't want to wait.
Her first instinct was to ignore the law.

Thoughts?

FAKE NEWS. Typical of CNN who prefers to raise fears as opposed to reporting the news. The fact is, they have no idea what will happen.

They have no idea what will happen.

From your link.

"Francisca is a good woman. Her only crime is to come to this country to try to better herself and to help her children in Mexico get ahead. What mother wouldn't do that? Or what father?" Burciaga said. "I don't know what is going to happen. The other President would give her a chance. But this one, I don't know. We are hoping for a miracle."

Every foreigner has a pathway to live here legally and become a citizen. Why not create a harder, longer, more expensive path for those that Are here and undocumented. At least then we can work it out together instead of having millions hiding in the shadows. I'd think you hardliners would like this idea... this way we have record of all that are here and they will have to earn it

Every foreigner has a pathway to live here legally and become a citizen. Why not create a harder, longer, more expensive path for those that Are here and undocumented. At least then we can work it out together instead of having millions hiding in the shadows. I'd think you hardliners would like this idea... this way we have record of all that are here and they will have to earn it
If we did that, we would be sending a message to the 600,000,000 people living south of the border and all the other people living in poverty or danger in the world that if they can get here illegally, then they can become US citizens. It makes no sense to bolster border security and then send invitations to everyone to violate it.

If we did that, we would be sending a message to the 600,000,000 people living south of the border and all the other people living in poverty or danger in the world that if they can get here illegally, then they can become US citizens. It makes no sense to bolster border security and then send invitations to everyone to violate it.
Not necessarily. Crossing illegally and overstaying visas can still have penalties. AND the pathway for the undocumented can be less attractive and less incentivizing than the current legal path. Trying thinking out of the box

Thoughts?

Deport the rest of the famiiy.

I feel sorry for her but there's little choice of what can be done if you want to send a message and stop the problem. It should help stem the flow of illegals trekking through the desert here in Arizona and thus save some lives.
Thats easy to say when it doesn't personally effect you. They all become pawns on the chessboard but we forget these are real people with real families.
They're fucking criminals, can't you get that through your head?
They are fucking human beings trying to live a fucking life you entitled prick.
They are fucking human beings trying to live a fucking life you entitled prick.

So were every person incarcerated in prison, past, present, and future.

and they also had spouses, parents, and often, children

If they get to stay where while they are on their "pathway," then effectively they have been granted amnesty. Other foreigners have to wait in their countries of origin until they get a visa, not on American soil.

It also appears that they aren't "hiding in the shadows." They are right out in public. Furthermore, I don't give a fuck if they are hiding in the shadows. I want life to be harder for them, not easier.

Forum List

Back