Mother of 4 deported

Why didn't she try to become a citizen during the 18 years?

This is a rough interpretation of an interview I overheard on TV with the mother and a reporter
Reporter: "Maam why did you not seek out citizenship in those 20 years"
Illegal Mother: "Uhhh....ummmm...uhhhh...no..no Engleesh"
Reporter: "Back to you Tom"

This is a rough interpretation of an interview I overheard on TV with the mother and a reporter

She couldn't speak English after 20yrs here? That would be pretty disturbing to me. And i'm not trying to be cruel, but is she receiving Government Entitlements too? I know another poster asked about that as well. Because that seems to be another big problem with our current System. The Government Entitlements act as a magnet for Illegals.

Try crossing into the Muslem countries that the left seems to protect or a Sharia dominated country with a fake visa or try entering North Korea and get 15 years at hard labor. I'm sure U.S. authorities would not stop the children from going to Mexico with their mother. Get used to it lefties, the criminals who are in the U.S. illegally are going back if they commit a crime.

WILLHAFTAWAITE and Doc1... Did either of you put yourself in the position of this lady or her family. Think for just a second, what if this happened to my family?

Give one second to look at this with empathy or are you that selfish and entitled that you don't think that way about others?
Her very existence does not give her any rights, because she has no rights. Illegal is illegal... karma is a bitch
I disagree. I believe in these things called inalienable rights for all humans

She forfeited that right when she broke the law. EOS.

WILLHAFTAWAITE and Doc1... Did either of you put yourself in the position of this lady or her family. Think for just a second, what if this happened to my family?

Give one second to look at this with empathy or are you that selfish and entitled that you don't think that way about others?
How could American citizens put themselves in that position? The woman had twenty years to fix her problem. She did nothing. Take her kids with her to Mexico. I don't feel bad for them at all. SHE HAD TWENTY YEARS TO FIX IT!

Her very existence does not give her any rights, because she has no rights. Illegal is illegal... karma is a bitch

She forfeited that right when she broke the law. EOS.
Progressives have always been selective on the laws they want enforced… Fact

How could American citizens put themselves in that position? The woman had twenty years to fix her problem. She did nothing. Take her kids with her to Mexico. I don't feel bad for them at all. SHE HAD TWENTY YEARS TO FIX IT!

We are talking about a completely irresponsible person here. From the report, it seems she doesn't know a word of English. If you just got here last week, somewhat understandable. But to not be able to communicate in a country you moved to 20 years ago? Come on now.

She couldn't speak English after 20yrs here? That would be pretty disturbing to me. And i'm not trying to be cruel, but is she receiving Government Entitlements too? I know another poster asked about that as well. Because that seems to be another big problem with our current System. The Government Entitlements act as a magnet for Illegals.

Just go to the OP and play the recording. You'll see she looks at people speaking English like she's deaf.

Reagan did have a big heart and it led to some bad policy decisions. At the same time, there was a demand for cheap labor at that time, especially from the southwest and within the Republican Party. It is always a mistake to choose not to enforce a law rather than to change it. Obama, imo, was just a politician who was interested in capturing the Hispanic vote.

President Trump is taking measures to enforce the law as it is written, while Reagan and Obama took measures to avoid enforcing the law as it is written. You can't effectively control the border if you send out the message, as Reagan did, that if you get here illegally, we will allow you to stay here on a year to year basis forever, or even worse, to send out the message, as Obama did, that if you get here illegally we will give you a path to citizenship. That's just bad policy and bad government.
Every foreigner has a pathway to live here legally and become a citizen. Why not create a harder, longer, more expensive path for those that Are here and undocumented. At least then we can work it out together instead of having millions hiding in the shadows. I'd think you hardliners would like this idea... this way we have record of all that are here and they will have to earn it
If we did that, we would be sending a message to the 600,000,000 people living south of the border and all the other people living in poverty or danger in the world that if they can get here illegally, then they can become US citizens. It makes no sense to bolster border security and then send invitations to everyone to violate it.
Not necessarily. Crossing illegally and overstaying visas can still have penalties. AND the pathway for the undocumented can be less attractive and less incentivizing than the current legal path. Trying thinking out of the box
You're not thinking out of the box, you're just simply not thinking. Offering any path to citizenship for people who entered the US illegally is still an open invitation to 600,000,000 people living south of our border to violate our immigration laws: demonstrate your contempt for our laws by entering the US illegally and we will reward you by making you citizens.
I didn't say make them citizens. Are we at the point were you start distorting my argument because you don't want to consider or discuss other ideas? I said a pathway to legal status... and I said A harder more expensive more intensive path. Maybe they pay fines, are required todo community service, serve in military etc. my point is, there should be a path for existing undocumented. Penalties including deportation for new illegal crossers, and a more incentivizing path for people who wait in line an immigrate the legal way
lol Don't try to hide from your own words, a path to citizenship means making them citizens. Even with your fines and community service, what you are proposing is another amnesty, and this will only encourage more illegals to violate our immigration laws to get because the message you are sending is clear: violate our immigration laws and all you will have to do to become a US citizen is pay a fine and do some community service. Make it apply only to those who are already here? That's what you said the last time.

Undocumented is a weasel word. Every time you call them undocumented instead of what they are, illegal, you are expressing your own contempt for our immigration laws, which is expressing contempt for US sovereignty, the same contempt for our laws and sovereignty these illegals expressed when they came here. When you call them undocumented instead of illegal, you are saying it makes little difference if they showed respect for our laws by coming here legally or contempt for our laws by violating them.

Why should some one in Mexico choose to wait years to emigrate to the US legally if he can cross the border illegally now and after paying a fine become a US citizen? If we demonstrate we don't respect our own laws, as you clearly don't, by allowing illegals to become citizens, why would we expect anyone else to respect our laws? If we are to control our borders we must send a clear message that if you enter the US legally, we will make you welcome, but if you come illegally, we will do our best to make you unwelcome.

Look up
There is that gullible you've been looking for! :D

Just go to the OP and play the recording. You'll see she looks at people speaking English like she's deaf.

That would be pretty shocking. And i'll have to look into whether or not she's receiving Government Entitlements. I mean i'm sympathetic, but only up to a point.

Every foreigner has a pathway to live here legally and become a citizen. Why not create a harder, longer, more expensive path for those that Are here and undocumented. At least then we can work it out together instead of having millions hiding in the shadows. I'd think you hardliners would like this idea... this way we have record of all that are here and they will have to earn it
If we did that, we would be sending a message to the 600,000,000 people living south of the border and all the other people living in poverty or danger in the world that if they can get here illegally, then they can become US citizens. It makes no sense to bolster border security and then send invitations to everyone to violate it.
Not necessarily. Crossing illegally and overstaying visas can still have penalties. AND the pathway for the undocumented can be less attractive and less incentivizing than the current legal path. Trying thinking out of the box
You're not thinking out of the box, you're just simply not thinking. Offering any path to citizenship for people who entered the US illegally is still an open invitation to 600,000,000 people living south of our border to violate our immigration laws: demonstrate your contempt for our laws by entering the US illegally and we will reward you by making you citizens.
I didn't say make them citizens. Are we at the point were you start distorting my argument because you don't want to consider or discuss other ideas? I said a pathway to legal status... and I said A harder more expensive more intensive path. Maybe they pay fines, are required todo community service, serve in military etc. my point is, there should be a path for existing undocumented. Penalties including deportation for new illegal crossers, and a more incentivizing path for people who wait in line an immigrate the legal way
lol Don't try to hide from your own words, a path to citizenship means making them citizens. Even with your fines and community service, what you are proposing is another amnesty, and this will only encourage more illegals to violate our immigration laws to get because the message you are sending is clear: violate our immigration laws and all you will have to do to become a US citizen is pay a fine and do some community service. Make it apply only to those who are already here? That's what you said the last time.

Undocumented is a weasel word. Every time you call them undocumented instead of what they are, illegal, you are expressing your own contempt for our immigration laws, which is expressing contempt for US sovereignty, the same contempt for our laws and sovereignty these illegals expressed when they came here. When you call them undocumented instead of illegal, you are saying it makes little difference if they showed respect for our laws by coming here legally or contempt for our laws by violating them.

Why should some one in Mexico choose to wait years to emigrate to the US legally if he can cross the border illegally now and after paying a fine become a US citizen? If we demonstrate we don't respect our own laws, as you clearly don't, by allowing illegals to become citizens, why would we expect anyone else to respect our laws? If we are to control our borders we must send a clear message that if you enter the US legally, we will make you welcome, but if you come illegally, we will do our best to make you unwelcome.

That post was so good I got blood flow.

Reagan did have a big heart and it led to some bad policy decisions. At the same time, there was a demand for cheap labor at that time, especially from the southwest and within the Republican Party. It is always a mistake to choose not to enforce a law rather than to change it. Obama, imo, was just a politician who was interested in capturing the Hispanic vote.

President Trump is taking measures to enforce the law as it is written, while Reagan and Obama took measures to avoid enforcing the law as it is written. You can't effectively control the border if you send out the message, as Reagan did, that if you get here illegally, we will allow you to stay here on a year to year basis forever, or even worse, to send out the message, as Obama did, that if you get here illegally we will give you a path to citizenship. That's just bad policy and bad government.

We already did that with the Reagan era amnesty. You have to seal the border or you get what we got. We do NOT need to rinse and repeat. Amnesty has already been granted so the next step is to seal the border. You don't get to keep repeating step 1. Surely you see how that just creates an exponentially bigger problem. Seal the border and then you can start talking "path to status," as the numbers are at least finite.
I agree, but I don't see why we can't discuss a plan about what to do about millions of undocumented people who live here at the same time as we work on the border
Again, undocumented is a weasel word that suggests entering the US illegally is just a trivial clerical matter and not an expression of contempt for US law and sovereignty. There is only one thing to do about the millions of illegals which sends the correct policy message to others who want to come here, send them back to where they came from.

Try crossing into the Muslem countries that the left seems to protect or a Sharia dominated country with a fake visa or try entering North Korea and get 15 years at hard labor. I'm sure U.S. authorities would not stop the children from going to Mexico with their mother. Get used to it lefties, the criminals who are in the U.S. illegally are going back if they commit a crime.

6 mos later, Mexico would lock up the kids for being down there illegally............or over-stay of "reverse" Visa.

That would be pretty shocking. And i'll have to look into whether or not she's receiving Government Entitlements. I mean i'm sympathetic, but only up to a point.

Well..... she's an illegal so apparently she's not working. She's married and has four kids. Her husband would have to be in the six figure range to support a family of 6 (which most American bread earners can't do) in Chicago of all places where everything is expensive.

I'm a compassionate person. So i hope something can be worked out for her. I don't wanna see a family torn apart. But the message does have to be sent that Illegal Immigration is coming to an end. So unfortunately, these kinds of things are gonna happen again.

My advice to folks wanting to come here, is to do it the legal way. We have a System in place for that to happen. When you knowingly break the law, you have to accept that there could be consequences. We are a nation of laws.

The problem is that there are probably tens of thousands just like her, and every time one with kids gets booted out, the media will have another picnic. Because let's face it, if it weren't for her FOUR kids that she probably isn't supporting, it would be a non-story. But the media loves to use children to jerk a tear or two from their viewers or readers.

Oh yeah, the Open Borders Leftists love this stuff. They'll use the kids for sure. But i am pretty sympathetic. These kinds of situations can be worked out. I'm ok with that, as long as our Government gets serious about Border Security and ending Illegal Immigration. But if it's just gonna continue to be an Open Borders free-for-all, i'm less inclined to be as sympathetic.

These kids can go back with her. It happens all the time. Parent(s) get a job ten states away, and they just pack their bags and move. I like to watch HGTV where they feature people buying homes. American families move to other countries all the time, and yes, with kids. They have to learn a totally new culture, a totally new language, and they get along just fine.

If we had some law that stated the kids have to stay in the US, I would be more sympathetic. We have a law that says she has to go, but no law that states she can't take her family with her.

I hear ya. But if she doesn't have any other criminal offenses, i could work with her. Just how i feel anyway.
She does have a criminal offense she had a fake passport you know a CRIME.

Again, undocumented is a weasel word that suggests entering the US illegally is just a trivial clerical matter and not an expression of contempt for US law and sovereignty. There is only one thing to do about the millions of illegals which sends the correct policy message to others who want to come here, send them back to where they came from.

Calling an illegal an undocumented immigrant is like calling the heroin pusher an unlicensed doctor.

You make a good argument. I don't disagree with your points. My disagreement is with the system that allows deportations like this to happen and I do think that there is a moral problem with what happened here, not particularly a legal one.
Yeah - the "moral problem here" is that she lacked morals and attempted to obtain a visa with false credentials. That is further compounded by the severe "moral problem here" that you want to absolve her of all personal responsibility and blame all of society for her self-created problems.
I think it is immoral and pretty fucked up for our Immigration agency to allow her to stay here for 18 years then kick her out. Its fucked up to her, her family and her community.

So it would be less fucked up if they kicked her out 20 years ago?
Actually, yes. If they acted appropriately and deported her when they discovered the fraudulent papers, she wouldn't be here with 4 anchor babies and a misplaced sense of entitlement.

How does that work? Everyone in the World has an INALIENABLE RIGHT to come to America?

No different than any other criminal.

For 20 years she had no second thoughts about becoming a legal immigrant or a citizen and was a happy camper. She and the family are ONLY SORRY because they got CAUGHT.

You never see a criminal weeping because they are sorry for committing a crime, ONLY for getting caught.

I just saw this story on CNN. This mother of 4 got caught trying to cross the border with a fake visa 20 years ago, because of this she couldn't not get another visa but was told she could stay in the US but had to check in with ICE twice a year, which she did for the past 18 years. Now her entire family is here (mother, husband, 4 children and they are all American citizens. CNN covers her journey to check in with ICE as they were all nervous about the changes that came with President Trump.

She met with ICE and they told her she was good for another year. She left the building, gave her children hugs and then got called back in by ICE to find out that they were deporting her in July.

I get deporting violent criminals, I hear people asking Trump and his surrogates what they will do with non-violent criminal illegal immigrants and I hear them kicking the can saying they will deal with it later. But then I see stories like this were a mother who is not a violent criminal gets deported and a family is ripped apart.

Thoughts?

The woman's predicament is caused by her own choices. She chose to come here illegally and she chose to remain her illegally. She could of come forward at any time and applied for citizenship, yet she chose not to. This issue has been in the headlines for years now. But instead of doing anything, she chose to do nothing.

If any politicians are to blame for her predicament, it's the open borders douche bags who refused to enforce the law for 20 years.

You could probably trace it back to Reagan but regardless of whose fault it is the fact remains that she was told what to do and she did it. She now has a life and a family of American citizens who live her. I understand you are an immigration hard ass and thats fine. But acknowledging the human side of this situation and admitting that some fucked up things are happening is what needs to happen to close the gap.

The race card gets played too much, but when you take a hard headed heartless attitude in the face of these types of situations it really does make you come off as racists. Do you understand that?

What does "acknowledging the human side of this situation" entail? Does that mean giving her a free pass? Yeah, some fucked up things have happened with regard to immigration, but they all occurred under the policies you support.

If you don't believe our laws should be enforced, just admit it.

I think we should do way better with our visa tracking and border enforcement, the wall is a waste. I also think we need to have a system to deal with millions of undocumented in our country and shipping them out is not a smart idea. They should all be able to register, pay taxes, and pay their dues to earn either legal status or citizenship... not hide in the shadows

I also think we need to have a system to deal with millions of undocumented

They're illegal aliens. Often with stolen or forged documents.

shipping them out is not a smart idea.

Jail them first?

They should all be able to register, pay taxes, and pay their dues to earn either legal status or citizenship... not hide in the shadows

They should come out of the shadows, back in their home country.

Forum List

Back