Muslim flight attendant sues over serving alcohol on flights

And if you have to travel several miles to get a cake because bigots won't accomadate you, that creates a hardship as well.

Somehow I missed that in the demands at the Stonewall riots in New York?

Honestly, your definition of 'hardship' is an insult to 80% of this world oppressed or suffering.
It's the level of hardship of not getting served your little bottle of booze. Actually it's more of a hardship.

A Muslim flight attendant has sued ExpressJet, accusing the airline of wrongly suspending her because she refused to serve alcohol to passengers.

Fuck muslims, alcohol bans are next, I hate that fukking religion and I hate the liberals who enable these wankers

I'll say what I always say.... if you can't do the job, find another job. that's what the lowlife clerk should have done in ohio.

Unlike some people I will not paint each situation with a broad brush. In this case, since the # of stewardesses on a flight is usually limited, accommodating her would probably place an undue burden on the employer. Now if she wants to wear a modest (flame resistant) head scarf, then the airline would probably have to allow her to do it. But part if the job of a stewardess is to serve food and drinks, and accommodation would place an undue burden on the employer, than they do not have to accommodate in this case.

This is a separate issue than the prickly case of how to remove a government official who doesn't want to do one part of their job, or the matter of non necessary, contracted services with regards to PA laws.

if you can't handle pork, you shouldn't work in a place that sells pork. if you can't handle alcohol and every person is expected to handle alcohol, find a different job.

In this specific case you are right.

Based on the bakery case, her religious beliefs don't have to be accommodated.
you are clearly out of your depth and do not have an understanding of the pertinent laws or facts.

I have a full understanding. You defend the Muslim's religious beliefs and chastise the Christian using his.
no. you really don't.
and it's sad that you think you do because it's incredibly clear that you don't.

let me help you out - a business can't typically discriminate against someone because of race, religion, sex, and occasionally sexual orientation.

so refusing to sell someone a product that you sell to others because you don't like their religion or race is illegal.

but a business also has to make reasonable religious accommodations for its employees. 'reasonable' being the operative word, obviously you can't hire a bartender and then accommodate them when they say they can't serve alcohol. but reasonable might mean giving someone the ability to take their breaks at certain times to pray.

do you understand?
Serving alcohol is part of the job description of a flight attendant.
but you could say it's neither the largest part or the most important. so is it possible that another attendant could have handed out the alcoholic drinks, or that some other reasonable accommodation could have been made? that's all that matters. if they couldn't accomodate her, that's fine, she loses, end of story.

You could say the fags could have gone to another bakery and purchased a cake. I looked up bakeries in Gresham, OR and found that Sweet Cakes by Melissa isn't the only one there. In fact, there were at least 10. Tells me those two carpet munchers in Oregon were pushing an agenda as much as wanting a cake.

A Muslim flight attendant has sued ExpressJet, accusing the airline of wrongly suspending her because she refused to serve alcohol to passengers.

Fuck muslims, alcohol bans are next, I hate that fukking religion and I hate the liberals who enable these wankers
Fuck em, She knew before taking the job they served alcohol , so why did she take the job in the first place? Either she is dumb as dirt or she was planning on filing a law suit!

you are clearly out of your depth and do not have an understanding of the pertinent laws or facts.

I have a full understanding. You defend the Muslim's religious beliefs and chastise the Christian using his.
no. you really don't.
and it's sad that you think you do because it's incredibly clear that you don't.

let me help you out - a business can't typically discriminate against someone because of race, religion, sex, and occasionally sexual orientation.

so refusing to sell someone a product that you sell to others because you don't like their religion or race is illegal.

but a business also has to make reasonable religious accommodations for its employees. 'reasonable' being the operative word, obviously you can't hire a bartender and then accommodate them when they say they can't serve alcohol. but reasonable might mean giving someone the ability to take their breaks at certain times to pray.

do you understand?
it's not a question of what religion, its a question of the impact on each party.

She should be allowed to wear a proper headscarf if she wants, even to take a quick 5 minute break to pray. these are not major impacts on the job at hand, and could be accommodated. However, one of the top 5 things a flight attendant does is serve refreshments to passengers, and having to get another one to serve people who want booze (especially on a smaller, single aisle plane) is a hardship on the airline, the passengers, and the other workers.
And if you have to travel several miles to get a cake because bigots won't accomadate you, that creates a hardship as well.

We both know what happened to those bakers. Should the same thing happen to her? She refused based on her religion.
They were fined. She should be fired.

The question is will she and if she isn't, do the bakers have a case?

You seem to be thinking some kind of consistent principle will be applied. Probably should let that one go.

That's what's so perverse about this kind of legislation. It turns equal protection inside out. The idea used to be that everyone was treated equally under the law - i.e. treated equally by government. But under corporatism, we try to force everyone to treat each other equally, and we do it via government that treats people decidedly unequally.

It is the inevitable result of the government deciding who's feelings are more important, instead of dealing with actual harm.

You dopes wanted a religious exemption and this is where it leads. Enjoy.

I don't want a blanket religious exemption, just that be factored into the analysis of a given situation.
It wouldn't be proper to allow one religion special privileges and not the others.

it's not a question of what religion, its a question of the impact on each party.

She should be allowed to wear a proper headscarf if she wants, even to take a quick 5 minute break to pray. these are not major impacts on the job at hand, and could be accommodated. However, one of the top 5 things a flight attendant does is serve refreshments to passengers, and having to get another one to serve people who want booze (especially on a smaller, single aisle plane) is a hardship on the airline, the passengers, and the other workers.

Being in a 15 foot diameter tube 7 miles in the air, unable to get any other service, and having to drive a few miles to get a cake you don't need for weeks or months is not comparable.
I'm sorry not getting a drink on a plane would cause you distress.

no. you really don't.

do you understand?
but you could say it's neither the largest part or the most important. so is it possible that another attendant could have handed out the alcoholic drinks, or that some other reasonable accommodation could have been made? that's all that matters. if they couldn't accomodate her, that's fine, she loses, end of story.

You could say the fags could have gone to another bakery and purchased a cake.
could say that, but it doesn't matter. the bakers broke the law. there could have been a man right outside the bakery handing out free cakes to everyone. wouldn't change that the bakers broke the law by refusing to sell a product they offered to someone based on sexual orientation

If I had to choose between banning Islam and banning alcohol, I know which one I would choose!

I don't want a blanket religious exemption, just that be factored into the analysis of a given situation.
It wouldn't be proper to allow one religion special privileges and not the others.

Being in a 15 foot diameter tube 7 miles in the air, unable to get any other service, and having to drive a few miles to get a cake you don't need for weeks or months is not comparable.

It would cause the airline to provide maybe another flight attendant, or have flight attendants try to juggle position when someone wanted booze. On smaller planes (of which this seems to be an airline that flies them) there may only be one fight attendant (I have been on a small CRJ with only one).

So basically the whole flight has to go dry because of the flight attendant?

That leads to an unreasonable situation.

If she was hired on an airline that didn't serve alcohol only to have them start doing so, I would support her. Otherwise, no way. She knew full well what the job entailed when she applied.

Heck, I imagine the reason she DID apply is so she could indulge in this agitprop at the behest of C.A.I.R. They seize on any opportunity they can towards implementing the Muslim Brotherhood's agenda.

It's not about a drink. It's about a double standard.

Christian applying their religious beliefs = people supporting her being sued saying he/she can't do that

Muslim applying her religious beliefs = SAME people as above bending over backwards to protect her ability to do so.

Well as the Khan family on tv showed us, there are good Muslims as well as bad ones.

We all know about the bad ones -- they fly planes into buildings and the use AK's and AR's to shoot up night clubs.

Although the good ones seem to be few and far between, it must be hard on them as well to see all the bad ones.

As for the muzzie flight attendant, anytime someone sues you they are either gunning for an easy settlement or even an arbitration board award.

Anybody can sue anyone for anything.

That's why you should never talk to strangers.

It would cause the airline to provide maybe another flight attendant, or have flight attendants try to juggle position when someone wanted booze. On smaller planes (of which this seems to be an airline that flies them) there may only be one fight attendant (I have been on a small CRJ with only one).

and if that is the case she loses. if, however, they could assign her to flights that do not serve alcohol, or to duties that don't require her to hand out alcoholic drinks, or if there is a way to partner her with another attendant that would hand out the drinks and doing so would not cause an unreasonable burden they are obligated to do so

Christian applying their religious beliefs = people supporting her being sued saying he/she can't do that

Muslim applying her religious beliefs = SAME people as above bending over backwards to protect her ability to do so.
Be glad you don't live in a Baptist country or else there would be no alcohol allowed.

you keep showing you lack a basic understanding of the pertinent laws and facts.

and if that is the case she loses. if, however, they could assign her to flights that do not serve alcohol, or to duties that don't require her to hand out alcoholic drinks, or if there is a way to partner her with another attendant that would hand out the drinks and doing so would not cause an unreasonable burden they are obligated to do so

So a Muslim could theoretically be hired by a bar to be a bartender, but if the other bartenders could cover for her, she could be allowed to stand there, and just be ready to serve sodas to people?

do you think the flight attendant should be allowed not to serve alcoholic drinks?

If I had to choose between banning Islam and banning alcohol, I know which one I would choose!
I know several people from Muslim Persia who said they made their own alcohol there.

Same as prohibition in the USA in the 1930's.

no. you really don't.

do you understand?

You could say the fags could have gone to another bakery and purchased a cake.
could say that, but it doesn't matter. the bakers broke the law. there could have been a man right outside the bakery handing out free cakes to everyone. wouldn't change that the bakers broke the law by refusing to sell a product they offered to someone based on sexual orientation

It was based on the baker's RELIGIOUS BELIEFS that homosexuality is wrong. The flight attendant based the decision on RELIGIOUS BELIEFS that alcohol is wrong.

Both were decisions based on religious beliefs.

So a Muslim could theoretically be hired by a bar to be a bartender, but if the other bartenders could cover for her, she could be allowed to stand there, and just be ready to serve sodas to people?
no. that's not a reasonable accommodation. a bartender's primary duty is to mix and serve alcoholic drinks.

Forum List

Back