My Cat Samantha Died Last Night

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
IMAG0003.jpg
Born ? - Died 8-9-24
My cat Sam (Samantha) died last night. She was a stray that used to live in an old condenser unit behind our apartments. We brought her home in 2014 sometime around August. I kept her in a cage till she got used to my home. I brought her into my bedroom after a week and for years she rarely left my bedroom. She counted on me to keep her safe. I have other cats and a couple of my other cats would pick on her. So she felt safe as long as she could see me. She knew I would protect her.

I'm not sure how old she was. Probably 12-15 years old,

She usually slept in my arm every night. A few months ago she stopped sleeping in my bedroom. She moved out to a bed I put next to a window in the kitchen and usually she was laying there enjoying the Sun. She had been sick and wasn't feeling well for the last few months. Night before last she spent all night in my arm staying warm and not moving a lot.

She stopped eating normally a few weeks ago, and the last couple of days she wouldn't eat anything.

I put her in her bed last night knowing she would die soon. I just wanted her to be someplace she was familiar with instead of taking her to the vet to put her to sleep. I just wanted her to die where she was loved. Not in a strange place.

We will miss you Sam. Thanks for all of the warm nights.

View attachment 992589
Born ? - Died 8-9-24
My cat Sam (Samantha) died last night. She was a stray that used to live in an old condenser unit behind our apartments. We brought her home in 2014 sometime around August. I kept her in a cage till she got used to my home. I brought her into my bedroom after a week and for years she rarely left my bedroom. She counted on me to keep her safe. I have other cats and a couple of my other cats would pick on her. So she felt safe as long as she could see me. She knew I would protect her.

She usually slept in my arm every night. A few months ago she stopped sleeping in my bedroom. She moved out to a bed I put next to a window in the kitchen and usually she was laying there enjoying the Sun. She had been sick and wasn't feeling well for the last few months. Night before last she spent all night in my arm staying warm and not moving a lot.

She stopped eating normally a few weeks ago, and the last couple of days she wouldn't eat anything.

I put her in her bed last night knowing she would die soon. I just wanted her to be someplace she was familiar with instead of taking her to the vet to put her to sleep. I just wanted her to die where she was loved. Not in a strange place.

Sincere condolences. You can be happy for the love you brought to Sam. You're a good guy.

View attachment 992589
Born ? - Died 8-9-24

Sorry for your loss.

View attachment 992589
Born ? - Died 8-9-24

Oh Mud, I'm so sorry! You did the right thing....I'm glad she got to be with you, when she passed onward. I'm still not over losing our loving kitty and it's been almost two years.... :(

Oh Mud, I'm so sorry! You did the right thing....I'm glad she got to be with you, when she passed onward. I'm still not over losing our loving kitty and it's been almost two years.... :(
I still have other cats. But Sam always slept in my arm at night. I've never let a cat do that before because I worried I would roll over on them. For some reason I don't toss and turn as much at night like I used to. If I rolled over away from her, she would move over to the side I was sleeping and just curl up in my arm again. Usually she would wait till I turned off the TV before she crawled into my arm, because she knew I wouldn't move for hours. I think she liked sleeping with me because she was kindof frail and got cold at night, and sleeping in my arm warmed her up.

View attachment 992589
Born ? - Died 8-9-24

I am so sorry to hear this, and after having gone through it a few times, know how much it hurts.

Take solace in knowing that you gave Samantha 10 wonderful years with a loving family that she never would have had otherwise. She was probably around 2 or 3 when you found her, and maybe had another year or two at most scrounging for food.

I too adopted a stray, last year. He was scrawny, the size of a 7-month kitten due to malnutrition although he was estimated at around 2, and had a gaping wound on his face. The animal shelter fixed him up, and after 10 days (when nobody claimed him), he was mine.

Again, my condolences. Samantha was a very lucky cat.

Last edited:
I still have other cats. But Sam always slept in my arm at night. I've never let a cat do that before because I worried I would roll over on them. For some reason I don't toss and turn as much at night like I used to. If I rolled over away from her, she would move over to the side I was sleeping and just curl up in my arm again. Usually she would wait till I turned off the TV before she crawled into my arm, because she knew I wouldn't move for hours. I think she liked sleeping with me because she was kindof frail and got cold at night, and sleeping in my arm warmed her up.
I'm glad you have other felines! When Matt and I lost our sweet kitty, we didnt have any cats left...and her death has been much harder to deal with....still is.....

View attachment 992589
Born ? - Died 8-9-24

We have five little graves in the back yard from cats who have passed away over the years. Each one of them had their own personality, and we miss all of them, even though we currently have five indoor cats.

Any thought to another one? There were so many deserving kitties at the animal shelter, in need of homes. It would be a win-win for both of you.
Our lives are in turmoil with in-decisions at this point.... Are we going to permanently move back to Florida to help my elderly parents or are we going to keep this house and just temporarily move down there, or buy a home down there too and keep this one as a summer home? And our health issues... Is medical care better in Florida or here in Maine...and all kinds of other decisions to make that we are frozen on, that are keeping us from getting a new kitty right now....

Our lives are in turmoil with in decisions at this point.... Are we going to permanently move back to Florida to help my elderly parents or are we going to keep this house and just temporarily move down there, or buy a home down there too and keep this one as a summer home? And our health issues... Is medical care better in Florida or here in Maine...and all kinds of other decisions to make that we are frozen on, that are keeping us from getting a new kitty right now....
I see. Well, maybe at a later point when things are more settled.

And I wish you luck with your elderly parents. My mother is 95, in mid-stage dementia, and we have her in a very good ALF. I always thought that I could care for her (or my dad, if he were the one who remained) in my home, but her mental challenges were too difficult.

It was easier for us because our parents were just one state over - and hour away. Would it be too difficult to relocate your parents up to Maine, and have them in a nice rental? That’s what my dad did when his mother, after my grandfather had died, did - although Grandma really didn’t love the idea. She knew that she had to because my Dad was still working and couldn’t move to where she was. So maybe it’s a bit different.

I see. Well, maybe at a later point when things are more settled.

And I wish you luck with your elderly parents. My mother is 95, in mid-stage dementia, and we have her in a very good ALF. I always thought that I could care for her (or my dad, if he were the one who remained) in my home, but her mental challenges were too difficult.

It was easier for us because our parents were just one state over - and hour away. Would it be too difficult to relocate your parents up to Maine, and have them in a nice rental? That’s what my dad did when his mother, after my grandfather had died, did - although Grandma really didn’t love the idea. She knew that she had to because my Dad was still working and couldn’t move to where she was. So maybe it’s a bit different.
My mom is 90, my dad 92. My older sister lives on a street around the corner from my parents and is tied down there. It's my sister who wants and needs the help taking care of them...she is getting old herself and wants to enjoy a little of her retirement traveling and visiting friends in other states, and can't do that because she is afraid to leave my parents alone....she's been the stable caretaker of sorts for a decade now....

My mom is 90, my dad 92. My older sister lives on a street around the corner from my parents and is tied down there. It's my sister who wants and needs the help taking care of them...she is getting old herself and wants to enjoy a little of her retirement traveling and visiting friends in other states, and can't do that because she is afraid to leave my parents alone....she's been the stable caretaker of sorts for a decade now....
What about if you just took a short-term rental - like two months twice a year, or whatever schedule is fair - to give your sister time to travel and see friends in other states? Might be easier than buying and selling houses. Just a thought.

Forum List

Back