My Dad Gave Me A Small Loan of A Million Dollars....It Has Not Been Easy

I'm still trying to figure out why I should care that Trump's dad loaned him money....

It illustrates Donald Trump's lack of good business sense when he could have taken that money invested it in the stock market and enjoyed a fortune many, many, times than would he ended up with by using his business acumen. Wharton didn't do him any good at all.

Not everyone does the same thing. I never played the stock market. I depended upon my own self and my own business - not someone else's business.

Donald Trump took the money and played his father's game, he could have done much, much, better playing the market. It goes to business sense.

Donald Trump is worth $9 billion. If he started with that $1 million and turned it into $9 billion, that's a 9000% return. I would say he played the game well.

Donald Trump is worth $4 billion he started with $1 million and then $199million on top of that.I'd say it would be hard not to do well with that kind of gift.

$22 TRILLION has been spent on fighting poverty. The percentage in poverty today is the same as it was before spending that money. Guess it's the person.

Wow, what a hard luck story. If Donald had only inherited $100 million I can't imagine the pain he would have to endure. This ranks right up there with Mitt Romney quotes about asking your parents for a loan to start a business. One thing's for sure....Donald didn't build that.

"As Donald Trump tells it, he has been told no his entire life. For example, he said Monday, his father gave him a "small loan of a million dollars" that he had to repay with interest at the start of his career.

“Oh many times. I’ve been told no by him. My whole life, really has been a no," the Republican presidential candidate said during a town hall event in Atkinson, New Hampshire, on NBC's "Today."

“It has not been easy for me. It has not been easy for me. I started off in Brooklyn. My father gave me a small loan of a million dollars," Trump remarked. "I came into Manhattan, and I had to pay him back, and I had to pay him back with interest. But I came into Manhattan and I started buying properties, and I did great."

Read more: Trump: My dad gave me a 'small loan' of a million dollars
It's all relative isn't it. Trump got a million and turned it into 9 billion. You got $200 and you're now on food stamps...get the picture?

If you're going to be a smartass, First you have to be smart. Otherwise like you, you end up just an ass.
Ironic.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I'm still trying to figure out why I should care that Trump's dad loaned him money....

It's not the fact that his father lent him money (though I find it amusing that the old man knew what he was dealing with and required it be paid back with interest), but the fact that he seems to think his constituents should nod sympathetically and say "Only a million? That cheapskate! Poor Donny!"

Which, of course, you are.

Stop and think about it for a minute. If you'd had a million dollars starting out, would you be looking for sympathy now? If you'd had a million dollars starting out, would you need to file for bankruptcy four times?

Is this the best you can do for a "leader"? That's the sad part.

It illustrates Donald Trump's lack of good business sense when he could have taken that money invested it in the stock market and enjoyed a fortune many, many, times than would he ended up with by using his business acumen. Wharton didn't do him any good at all.

Not everyone does the same thing. I never played the stock market. I depended upon my own self and my own business - not someone else's business.

Donald Trump took the money and played his father's game, he could have done much, much, better playing the market. It goes to business sense.
You obviously have none.

If it's so easy, then why aren't you rich?

If it's easy, get nuhuh to explain why those in poverty haven't become even more wealthy since $22 trillion has been handed to them over the past 50 years?

He could have lost it all in the stock market too.

Not if he went S&P.
Horseshit. The S&P hasn't increased by 900000% during that time.

It's not the fact that his father lent him money (though I find it amusing that the old man knew what he was dealing with and required it be paid back with interest), but the fact that he seems to think his constituents should nod sympathetically and say "Only a million? That cheapskate! Poor Donny!"

Stop and think about it for a minute. If you'd had a million dollars starting out, would you be looking for sympathy now? If you'd had a million dollars starting out, would you need to file for bankruptcy four times?

$22 trillion spent on poverty over 50 years only to have the same percentage of poor now as then. The sad part is that's the best you can do for constituents. Freeloaders only wanting more.

You obviously have none.

Ha Ha, Bripat will be telling us shortly that Trump was born in a log cabin and walked twenty miles one way in the snow to his one room schoolhouse and did his homework from Wharton by the firelight from wood that he chopped.

He could have lost it all in the stock market too.

Not if he went S&P.
Horseshit. The S&P hasn't increased by 900000% during that time.

The S&P has increased 11.86% every year CAGR of the Stock Market: Annualized Returns of the S&P 500

Wow, what a hard luck story. If Donald had only inherited $100 million I can't imagine the pain he would have to endure. This ranks right up there with Mitt Romney quotes about asking your parents for a loan to start a business. One thing's for sure....Donald didn't build that.

"As Donald Trump tells it, he has been told no his entire life. For example, he said Monday, his father gave him a "small loan of a million dollars" that he had to repay with interest at the start of his career.

“Oh many times. I’ve been told no by him. My whole life, really has been a no," the Republican presidential candidate said during a town hall event in Atkinson, New Hampshire, on NBC's "Today."

“It has not been easy for me. It has not been easy for me. I started off in Brooklyn. My father gave me a small loan of a million dollars," Trump remarked. "I came into Manhattan, and I had to pay him back, and I had to pay him back with interest. But I came into Manhattan and I started buying properties, and I did great."

Smart father, teaching his son responsibility thus preparing him for financial independence going into adulthood.

From your post:

"For example, he said Monday, his father [Trump's] gave him a "small loan of a million dollars" that he had to repay with interest at the start of his career."

The lesson of course was "You didn't build that"
That's the lesson you're trying to put over on us: "Trump didn't build that."

It's bullshit, of course, just like every other liberal lesson.

He didn't build that he was gifted that.
You obviously gifted with brains

Forbes says the $10 billion is a Trump exaggeration, just as it was in 1990 when he exaggerated his net worth at $500 million while having a worth of $200 million. There are 536 billionaires who likely got there partly by the generous tax cuts that never trickle down to the middle class. It's an impressive achievement only if you overlook his $200 million head start, his tax advantages and his families generosity when he got into trouble.

Likely got there?

Would you believe me if I said the poor likely got there due to the choices they made in life?

That is the truth. Most all of us came from very poor beginnings. My Father and Mother were below the poverty level. I swore to myself that I was going to be a success and got an engineering degree and started my own business. I know a lot of guys who simply learned a trade very well, went into business and some of them are very wealthy now. The American Dream can still be obtained if one only has the desire to reach for it.

My family's background consists of working the cotton mills of the South or coal mines of W. Virginia. My parents wanted better despite the fact that their parents were honorable, hard working people. They did things to better themselves that provided a chance for their children to do the same. It's a cycle they started, passed down, is being passed down again by me just like many in poverty live in a cycle created and perpetuated by those in it.

I guess I'm a one of those hated capitalists too then. I just turned my business over to my three children. I'm finishing up one last project and coming home for good next March. If one can't leave something for his children, what's the point of it all?

I'm not criticizing that, I'm criticizing Trump saying it was a small loan 47 years ago and that it was hard.

We expanded handing one person another person's money 50 years ago through the war on poverty to the tune of $22 trillion. That's 2.2 million times more than Trump was voluntarily loaned by a family member and it's done zero in reducing poverty.

$22 trillion spent on poverty over 50 years only to have the same percentage of poor now as then. The sad part is that's the best you can do for constituents. Freeloaders only wanting more.

The number of poor represents the failure of American business to provide a model for success. That's why we have war, its cheaper than coming up with ideas for progress.

Smart father, teaching his son responsibility thus preparing him for financial independence going into adulthood.

From your post:

"For example, he said Monday, his father [Trump's] gave him a "small loan of a million dollars" that he had to repay with interest at the start of his career."

The lesson of course was "You didn't build that"
That's the lesson you're trying to put over on us: "Trump didn't build that."

It's bullshit, of course, just like every other liberal lesson.

He didn't build that he was gifted that.
You obviously gifted with brains

Why, thank you.

Donald Trump is worth $9 billion. If he started with that $1 million and turned it into $9 billion, that's a 9000% return. I would say he played the game well.

Donald Trump is worth $4 billion he started with $1 million and then $199million on top of that.I'd say it would be hard not to do well with that kind of gift.
It's more than easy to fritter away a fortune. Just look at all the musicians, movie stars and athletes who passed away their fortunes.

The number of poor represents the failure of American business to provide a model for success. That's why we have war, its cheaper than coming up with ideas for progress.

The number of poor represents a failure of handing them something expecting them to use it as an incentive to better themselves.

There are plenty of successful people. Again, blaming something for a person's failure.

Damn! Why couldn't Trump get his money the old-fashioned way like from his daddy's bootlegging business a la president Kennedy, or marrying fabulously wealthy woman like presidential wannabe Kerry, or maybe chasing ambulances like the philandering Johnny Edwards?

Because being a slum lord is far more profitable.
Yeah, because we all know what a "slum" Trump tower is.

It's more than easy to fritter away a fortune. Just look at all the musicians, movie stars and athletes who passed away their fortunes.

Add to that lottery winners.

It represents the policies of the Democrat Party.

Forum List

Back