My Fav Democrat President

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. Today, March 18th, is the birthday of "Stephen Grover Cleveland (March 18, 1837 – June 24, 1908) was the 22nd and 24th President of the United States; as such, he is the only president to serve two non-consecutive terms ...and to be counted twice in the numbering of the presidents. He was the winner of the popular vote for president three times...and was one of the two Democrats elected to the presidency in the era of Republican political domination..." Grover Cleveland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a. I have visited the small, simple homestead where Cleveland was born, at born at 207 Bloomfield Avenue, Caldwell, NJ. As his political career took him to Albany, he is considered one of the six Presidents from New York.

2. Among other “firsts,” he was the only President to have hanged a man, and the only President to have been married in the White House.

a. " His new wife was a beautiful young woman 27 years his junior named Frances Folsom. Frances was the daughter of a former law partner and Cleveland's legal ward; Cleveland had literally known her since she was born. When she was 11, Frances' father died and Cleveland became her legal guardian, remaining close friends with her mother. His pet name for Frances was Frank. Observers thought Cleveland would marry his friend's widow and were completely surprised when, instead, he married Frances as soon as she turned 21."
Grover Cleveland gets married in the White House ? History.com This Day in History ? 6/2/1886

3."His crusade for political reform and fiscal conservatism made him an icon for American conservatives of the era."
wikipedia, Op.Cit.
He exercised the veto (over 300 times) more times than had all previous Presidents combined (132 total).

4. Congress passed the 'Conscription Act of 1863 for purposes of fighting the Civil War. The bill required able-bodied men to serve...or to hire a substitute to serve in their stead. Cleveland hired a Polish immigrant, George Benninsky to serve for him, paying Benninsky $150.

5. In the United States, most states had moved to secret ballots soon after the presidential election of 1884. However, the last U.S. State in the Union to retire the practice of the oral ballot was the Commonwealth of Kentucky which did so in 1891. The Constitution for the State of West Virginia still allows voters to cast "open ballots"[5]. Therefore, the first President of the United States elected completely under the Australian ballot was president Grover Cleveland in 1892.
Who you voting for>Obama Or McCain? - Yahoo Answers

6. This is why Grover Cleveland rises to the top in my estimation: he actually respected the Constitution, the only document that the people of this nation have agreed to be governed by.

" Cleveland was a stickler when it came to that Constitution and he set a hard standard for other Presidents to maintain....

In 1887, for example, several counties in Texas faced a long drought and some farmers lost their crops. Texas politicians helped cajole Congress into granting $10,000 worth of free seeds for these distressed farmers in Texas.
After the bill passed the Senate and House, Cleveland vetoed it, saying, 'I can find no warrant for such an appropriating in the Constitution,' Cleveland said. Such aid would 'destroy the partitions between proper subjects of Federal and local care and regulation.' He added, 'Federal aid, in such cases, encourages the expectations of paternal care on the part of the Government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character.'"

Cleveland believed the American people would not abandon its fellow citizens in the Lone Star state. Folsom noted Cleveland's response, "the friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow citizens in misfortune."

Cleveland could not be more accurate in his predictions.
People not only gave, but did so at a level beyond the imagination of the Texas farmers and the politicians who represented them. Fellow Americans from all over the country gave gifts exceeding $100,000. That amount was more than ten times the amount Congress had tried to take from the taxpayers.

The Founding Fathers never saw a "charity" role for government, that perspective was validated in both word and deed by Cleveland's courageous veto and his belief in the American people.
Hurricane Sandy, presidential candidates, and Grover Cleveland

Happy Birthday, Mr.President!

Federal aid, in such cases, encourages the expectations of paternal care on the part of the Government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character.'"

Notice how Cleveland's views were the exact opposite of those of Franklin Roosevelt, and Obama....

1. Today, March 18th, is the birthday of "Stephen Grover Cleveland (March 18, 1837 – June 24, 1908) was the 22nd and 24th President of the United States; as such, he is the only president to serve two non-consecutive terms ...and to be counted twice in the numbering of the presidents. He was the winner of the popular vote for president three times...and was one of the two Democrats elected to the presidency in the era of Republican political domination..." Grover Cleveland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a. I have visited the small, simple homestead where Cleveland was born, at born at 207 Bloomfield Avenue, Caldwell, NJ. As his political career took him to Albany, he is considered one of the six Presidents from New York.

2. Among other “firsts,” he was the only President to have hanged a man, and the only President to have been married in the White House.

a. " His new wife was a beautiful young woman 27 years his junior named Frances Folsom. Frances was the daughter of a former law partner and Cleveland's legal ward; Cleveland had literally known her since she was born. When she was 11, Frances' father died and Cleveland became her legal guardian, remaining close friends with her mother. His pet name for Frances was Frank. Observers thought Cleveland would marry his friend's widow and were completely surprised when, instead, he married Frances as soon as she turned 21."
Grover Cleveland gets married in the White House ? History.com This Day in History ? 6/2/1886

3."His crusade for political reform and fiscal conservatism made him an icon for American conservatives of the era."
wikipedia, Op.Cit.
He exercised the veto (over 300 times) more times than had all previous Presidents combined (132 total).

4. Congress passed the 'Conscription Act of 1863 for purposes of fighting the Civil War. The bill required able-bodied men to serve...or to hire a substitute to serve in their stead. Cleveland hired a Polish immigrant, George Benninsky to serve for him, paying Benninsky $150.

5. In the United States, most states had moved to secret ballots soon after the presidential election of 1884. However, the last U.S. State in the Union to retire the practice of the oral ballot was the Commonwealth of Kentucky which did so in 1891. The Constitution for the State of West Virginia still allows voters to cast "open ballots"[5]. Therefore, the first President of the United States elected completely under the Australian ballot was president Grover Cleveland in 1892.

6. This is why Grover Cleveland rises to the top in my estimation: he actually respected the Constitution, the only document that the people of this nation have agreed to be governed by.

" Cleveland was a stickler when it came to that Constitution and he set a hard standard for other Presidents to maintain....

In 1887, for example, several counties in Texas faced a long drought and some farmers lost their crops. Texas politicians helped cajole Congress into granting $10,000 worth of free seeds for these distressed farmers in Texas.
After the bill passed the Senate and House, Cleveland vetoed it, saying, 'I can find no warrant for such an appropriating in the Constitution,' Cleveland said. Such aid would 'destroy the partitions between proper subjects of Federal and local care and regulation.' He added, 'Federal aid, in such cases, encourages the expectations of paternal care on the part of the Government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character.'"

Cleveland believed the American people would not abandon its fellow citizens in the Lone Star state. Folsom noted Cleveland's response, "the friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow citizens in misfortune."

People not only gave, but did so at a level beyond the imagination of the Texas farmers and the politicians who represented them. Fellow Americans from all over the country gave gifts exceeding $100,000. That amount was more than ten times the amount Congress had tried to take from the taxpayers.

The Founding Fathers never saw a "charity" role for government, that perspective was validated in both word and deed by Cleveland's courageous veto and his belief in the American people.

Federal aid, in such cases, encourages the expectations of paternal care on the part of the Government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character.'"

Notice how Cleveland's views were the exact opposite of those of Franklin Roosevelt, and Obama....

Thank you PC for an excellent post. I normally don't have the time to peruse your research on all topics, but so glad I did today. What an informative post. I am so happy you enjoy being a member here. :thup:

wikipedia, Op.Cit.

Thank you PC for an excellent post. I normally don't have the time to peruse your research on all topics, but so glad I did today. What an informative post. I am so happy you enjoy being a member here. :thup:

I do so much appreciate your kind words, AA!

Thank you again!

Jimmy Carter.

As I grow older, and reflect on my years as a Republican hawk, I am mellowing. He was a decent human being that the neo-conservatives pulled no punches in destroying, one of the most educated and intelligent of men to hold the office, and one of the few in recent history that actually served in the US military, and of those that did serve, he actually had what could be called a real job and not just one made up so that they could say they put on a uniform. His work after his time in the presidency still shines forth as what good can be done in this world, such as Habitat for Humanity, setting the example for those that still are doing nothing but playing golf.

Last edited:
Jimmy Carter.

As I grow older, and reflect on my years as a Republican hawk, I am mellowing. He was a decent human being that the neo-conservatives pulled no punches in destroying, one of the most educated and intelligent of men to hold the office, and one of the few in recent history that actually served in the US military, and of those that did serve, he actually had what could be called a real job and not just one made up so that they could say they put on a uniform. His work after his time in the presidency still shines forth as what good can be done in this world, such as Habitat for Humanity, setting the example for those that still are doing nothing but playing golf.

Just a couple a' lil' problems....

1. He was an incompetent failure as President

2. He was a liar, re: '...a nuclear physicist...'

3. He lives on millions from Islamic nations, and wrote speeches for Arafat.

When I hear folks commend Carter's charitable work, I recall the joke from "The Producers," about Hitler:
"He vas a great painter! Two coats in an afternoon!!"

Grover Cleveland was my favorite president regardless of his party affiliation. He's from the old school democrats crowd that were classical liberals, not the progressive turds that hijacked liberal for their nefarious infiltration purposes.

FDR was better

So was Wilson

I wish you would have included the reason that you find them so, you know...for context.

Here, let me:

Both Woodrow Wilson and Franklin Roosevelt despised the Constitution.

BTW...both were racists....did that come into your conclusion as well?

FDR was better

So was Wilson

I wish you would have included the reason that you find them so, you know...for context.

Here, let me:

Racists?

Compared to the norms of 100 years ago?

a. " His new wife was a beautiful young woman 27 years his junior named Frances Folsom. Frances was the daughter of a former law partner

Sounds creepy to me...did you know he was also the first president to rape a woman?

But that's ok. According to y'all today he'd be a Republican.

Jimmy Carter.

Jimmy Carter was a collectivist; the opposite of the great Grover Cleveland.

roosevelt-memorial-washington-dc.jpg

FDR was better

So was Wilson

Here, let me:

Racists?

What???

You didn't know that your favs were racists???

OK...jot this down:

1. "“The practice of using merit testing in filling federal job vacancies had largely erased the color line,” said historian Nicholas Patler in his 2004 study, Jim Crow and the Wilson Administration. He described the work environment for African-Americans as “relatively integrated” for decades, “even in most Railway Mail Service runs in the South, and both races worked together at many post offices in large southern cities, including Montgomery, Mobile, Houston, and Jacksonville.”

Woodrow Wilson and Jim Crow

The relative equality that black federal employees enjoyed for several decades was undermined, however, by President Woodrow Wilson. As a candidate, the born-and-bred southerner had promised black Americans “absolute fair dealing.” But the first chief executive from the South in more than 50 years soon turned his back on his black supporters.

“Wilson’s electoral landslide in 1912 brought the South back into the national political orbit for the first time since the Civil War,” said Washington and Lee University historian Ted DeLaney. “Once in office, these southerners responded to many of the wishes of white supremacist groups.”
The Post Office Department and Jim Crow

See what I told you about not ever trusting Democrats?

2. FDR

a. "Beginning in the 1960s FDR was charged[31] with not acting decisively enough to prevent or stop the Holocaust. Critics cite instances such as the 1939 episode in which 936 Jewish refugees on the SS St. Louis were denied asylum and not allowed into the United States because of strict laws passed by Congress.[32]
Some argue that the Roosevelt Administration knew that the Nazis were systematically slaughtering Jews and followed a policy of not rescuing them.[33] According to professor David Wyman, Roosevelt’s record on Jewish refugees and their rescue is very poor and one of the worst failures of his presidency.[33] He has been criticized for failing to issue public statements or address the issue of European Jews in any of his 998 press conferences.[34]"
Criticism of Franklin D. Roosevelt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

b. Then, there is the little episode of rounding up folks because their skin was yellow. Yikes.

c. Hugo Black was FDR's first Supreme Court nominee, in 1937. This KKK Senator from Alabama wrote the majority decision on Korematsu v. US; in 1967, he said ‘They all look alike to a person not a Jap.” Engage: Conversations in Philosophy: "They all look alike to a person not a Jap"*: The Legacy of Korematsu at OSU

"... Black was head of new members for the largest Klan cell in the South. New members of the KKK had to pledge their allegiance to the “eternal separation of Church and State.”... Separation was a crucial part of the KKK’s jurisprudential agenda. It was included in the Klansman’s Creed..."
Egnorance: Hugo Black and the real history of "the wall of separation between church and state"

Yup.....FDR and Hugo Black really messed up this nation.

Here, let me:

Racists?

What???

You didn't know that your favs were racists???

OK...jot this down:

1. "“The practice of using merit testing in filling federal job vacancies had largely erased the color line,” said historian Nicholas Patler in his 2004 study, Jim Crow and the Wilson Administration. He described the work environment for African-Americans as “relatively integrated” for decades, “even in most Railway Mail Service runs in the South, and both races worked together at many post offices in large southern cities, including Montgomery, Mobile, Houston, and Jacksonville.”

Woodrow Wilson and Jim Crow

The relative equality that black federal employees enjoyed for several decades was undermined, however, by President Woodrow Wilson. As a candidate, the born-and-bred southerner had promised black Americans “absolute fair dealing.” But the first chief executive from the South in more than 50 years soon turned his back on his black supporters.

“Wilson’s electoral landslide in 1912 brought the South back into the national political orbit for the first time since the Civil War,” said Washington and Lee University historian Ted DeLaney. “Once in office, these southerners responded to many of the wishes of white supremacist groups.”
The Post Office Department and Jim Crow

See what I told you about not ever trusting Democrats?

2. FDR

a. "Beginning in the 1960s FDR was charged[31] with not acting decisively enough to prevent or stop the Holocaust. Critics cite instances such as the 1939 episode in which 936 Jewish refugees on the SS St. Louis were denied asylum and not allowed into the United States because of strict laws passed by Congress.[32]
Some argue that the Roosevelt Administration knew that the Nazis were systematically slaughtering Jews and followed a policy of not rescuing them.[33] According to professor David Wyman, Roosevelt’s record on Jewish refugees and their rescue is very poor and one of the worst failures of his presidency.[33] He has been criticized for failing to issue public statements or address the issue of European Jews in any of his 998 press conferences.[34]"
Criticism of Franklin D. Roosevelt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

b. Then, there is the little episode of rounding up folks because their skin was yellow. Yikes.

c. Hugo Black was FDR's first Supreme Court nominee, in 1937. This KKK Senator from Alabama wrote the majority decision on Korematsu v. US; in 1967, he said ‘They all look alike to a person not a Jap.” Engage: Conversations in Philosophy: "They all look alike to a person not a Jap"*: The Legacy of Korematsu at OSU

"... Black was head of new members for the largest Klan cell in the South. New members of the KKK had to pledge their allegiance to the “eternal separation of Church and State.”... Separation was a crucial part of the KKK’s jurisprudential agenda. It was included in the Klansman’s Creed..."
Egnorance: Hugo Black and the real history of "the wall of separation between church and state"

Yup.....FDR and Hugo Black really messed up this nation.

Compared to whom from that era?

a. " His new wife was a beautiful young woman 27 years his junior named Frances Folsom. Frances was the daughter of a former law partner

Sounds creepy to me...did you know he was also the first president to rape a woman?

But that's ok. According to y'all today he'd be a Republican.

1. I know about the case.....it's questionable whether there was a rape.

2. But you win the prize for 'Unintentional Humor,' with this entree: "But that's ok. According to y'all today he'd be a Republican."

So....who is the most popular Democrat elected official today?

Right! A rapist!

Clinton Misogyny - Sex
Juanita Broaddrick (AR)- rape
Eileen Wellstone (Oxford) - rape
Elizabeth Ward Gracen - rape - quid pro quo, post incident intimidation
Regina Hopper Blakely - "forced himself on her, biting, bruising her"
Kathleen Willey (WH) - sexual assault, intimidations, threats
Sandra Allen James (DC) - sexual assault
22 Year Old 1972 (Yale) - sexual assault
Kathy Bradshaw (AK) - sexual assault
Cristy Zercher - unwelcomed sexual advance, intimidations
Paula Jones (AR) - unwelcomed sexual advance, exposure, bordering on sexual assault
Carolyn Moffet -unwelcomed sexual advance, exposure, bordering on sexual assault
1974 student at University of Arkansas - unwelcomed physical contact
1978-1980 - seven complaints per Arkansas state troopers
Monica Lewinsky - quid pro quo, post incident character assault
Gennifer Flowers - quid pro quo, post incident character assault
Dolly Kyle Browning - post incident character assault
Sally Perdue - post incident threats
Betty Dalton - rebuffed his advances, married to one of his supporters
Denise Reeder - apologetic note scanned
CLINTON'S ROGUES GALLERY:

Does that neon light flashing IDIOT over your head keep you awake at night?

Forum List

Back