My letter to the RNC.

Dems (Obama) lost 4 million voters last election. Republicans closed their gap by 2% from 2008. The Democrat party is currently the fastest dying party in the country. If it keeps up at this rate you can't win the next election.

The people are rejecting both parties.

I love LIbertarians. they live in their own paralel universe!

Here's the thing. The Republican voting base remained flat for the last three elections. The Democrats increased their vote total from 50 million in 2000 to 69 million in 2008, down to 66 million in 2012.

Further, most of that decline happened in NON-Swing states. The vote totals increased in swing states. People stayed home in states where the outcome was never in doubt.

I have no problem if the additional tax revenue from smokers was used for stop smoking programs, medical research or other smoking related issues

But even as a non-smoker, I think these taxes are just piling on and used to fill the general coffer

Well, here's the thing. Taxes will follow the path of least resistance.

When you have 4 out of 5 Americans who don't smoke, and don't like smokers filling their air iwth that shit, you already have an 80% support for that tax. On top of that, most smokers would really like to quit, and think, "Hey, maybe now I'll finally quit! Ninety-five more cents a pack!"

Some do. Some don't.

Unlike Millionaires who can get millions of non-millionaires (usually the working people they are cheating out of good wages) to support their tax cuts, smokers just aren't that well loved.

Great C'Thulhu, I'm extra cynical this morning!

I have no problem if the additional tax revenue from smokers was used for stop smoking programs, medical research or other smoking related issues

But even as a non-smoker, I think these taxes are just piling on and used to fill the general coffer

But our taxes are always put to good use. How dare you suggest otherwise?

I say the payoff is "fair", just like everything else about progressivism is "fair".

Would you rather pay more for smokes or pay for your uborn child after lighting up?

I submit paying for smokes and not your unborn child keeps more money in your wallet.

smoking increases the cost of your care on society.

making you pay the costs of your actions is completely reasonable

Bullshit. If the health-Nazi's are correct, I'll die sooner and that will actually SAVE you money in the long run. Moreover, if WE can be heavily taxed to offset the cost of our behavior, so can any other behavior deemed to be "unhealthy."

In fact, we can already see that happening with sugary drinks and junk food.

Where does it stop? How about right here, right now? The GOP could help themselves by opposing any further "health" taxes, and God knows they can use all the help they can get.

The time to restrain Frankenstein has passed. You should have thought of that before supporting the movement to create him.

Now shut up and do as your told by paying your "sin taxes", or do you have a problem paying "your fair share"?

Mwhahahahahaha!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, liberals could care less about freedom except when it comes to their sexual practices and drug use.

Well guess what, it does not work that way. If you want a controlling governemnt over everything else, they will come for you someday as well.

I didn't help create Frankenstein. I fought his creation, but nobody would join in because they couldn't see past "smoking is bad."

Can you see past that now?

Old guy. You really are becoming a rethug. I had never seen you deflect like you just did.

So we have gone from taxes on cigs to taxes on guns. I do believe I paid my taxes on the guns I own. Well except for the recent boxes of ammo a friend picked up on base.

But for sure if the tax on owning a gun was high enough, and the revenue used for caring for gunshot victums, I could probably go along with it. But the revenue would have to be used to treat gunshot victums. Which btw, are a much greater number than those killed by guns and gun shot victums cost hundreds of millions of dollars to treat. Most without insurance.

You like that idea?

No, I don't.

And, I was a "rethug" most of my life and only left the party because of the Neo-Con's.

Not surprisingly, this thread has gone all over the place, from personal attacks to anti/pro-Republican to the dangers of smoking to cheap advice.

So...let me refocus it: Is this an issue which the GOP could mine for support? I think it is and I hope they do because if somebody doesn't begin to oppose the nanny-state, the health-Nazi's and do-gooders will run us all down.

Comparing the DNC to Nazis?

Tsk, tsk.

Where did I do that?

Dems (Obama) lost 4 million voters last election. Republicans closed their gap by 2% from 2008. The Democrat party is currently the fastest dying party in the country. If it keeps up at this rate you can't win the next election.

The people are rejecting both parties.

I love LIbertarians. they live in their own paralel universe!

Here's the thing. The Republican voting base remained flat for the last three elections. The Democrats increased their vote total from 50 million in 2000 to 69 million in 2008, down to 66 million in 2012.

Further, most of that decline happened in NON-Swing states. The vote totals increased in swing states. People stayed home in states where the outcome was never in doubt.

That is because conservatives don't have any candidates worth their weight in salt. Now we sit back and await another McCain or Romney to pretend to be conservative.

From my conservative perspective, there is the party that promote bigger and more intrusive government and the party that merely pretends to be against it. You might even say that I prefer it this way. At least conservatives will not be given a bad name like they were with "W". In fact, in another 4 years most people won't even know who "W" was........

So you are offering a group you've never voted for advice on how to get your vote? And in that you're complaining about a user tax on cigarettes while advocating to rob people's income for all the big government you like?

:lmao:

Is this a fucking joke?

Sorry, but I voted Republican in every presidential election from 1968 until 2004, when I finally got sick of the Neo-Con's.

And, please show me where I've advocated "to rob people's income for all the big government you like?"

So you would like to see conservatives talk of repealing the federal income tax? Or do you like that tax?

Which if that was true, your biggest concern wouldn't be the price of your cancer sticks. But alas, you're a special interest voter.

Bullshit. If the health-Nazi's are correct, I'll die sooner and that will actually SAVE you money in the long run. Moreover, if WE can be heavily taxed to offset the cost of our behavior, so can any other behavior deemed to be "unhealthy."

In fact, we can already see that happening with sugary drinks and junk food.

Where does it stop? How about right here, right now? The GOP could help themselves by opposing any further "health" taxes, and God knows they can use all the help they can get.

The time to restrain Frankenstein has passed. You should have thought of that before supporting the movement to create him.

Now shut up and do as your told by paying your "sin taxes", or do you have a problem paying "your fair share"?

Mwhahahahahaha!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, liberals could care less about freedom except when it comes to their sexual practices and drug use.

Well guess what, it does not work that way. If you want a controlling governemnt over everything else, they will come for you someday as well.

I didn't help create Frankenstein. I fought his creation, but nobody would join in because they couldn't see past "smoking is bad."

You did not help create the monster? So I assume you did not vote for anyone in office that supports these taxes.

But our taxes are always put to good use. How dare you suggest otherwise?

I say the payoff is "fair", just like everything else about progressivism is "fair".

Would you rather pay more for smokes or pay for your uborn child after lighting up?

I submit paying for smokes and not your unborn child keeps more money in your wallet.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make

So you are offering a group you've never voted for advice on how to get your vote? And in that you're complaining about a user tax on cigarettes while advocating to rob people's income for all the big government you like?

Is this a fucking joke?

Sorry, but I voted Republican in every presidential election from 1968 until 2004, when I finally got sick of the Neo-Con's.

And, please show me where I've advocated "to rob people's income for all the big government you like?"

So you would like to see conservatives talk of repealing the federal income tax? Or do you like that tax?

Maybe he wanst the top 1% to pay for his smokes.

George Burns smoked up to and including the day he died and he turned 100 by then.

I love when idiots bring up one person who smoked and lived to be 90 or 100 while ignoring the millions who don't make it to 70. Fucking hilarious. You know what is worse than dying from cigarettes? It's spending the last ten years of your life hooked up to an oxygen tank just so you can breath and then dying.

Very true

Smokers laugh as they light up and flaunt death....I don't care if it costs me to die five years early, I enjoy it

They don't consider that smoking makes you age early and that your quality of life goes to shit before you die

Is this a fucking joke?

I'm not opposed to taxes in general. We all benefit from taxation, whether it's to build the roads we use, the Army we depend upon for protection or something more personal like my VA check. Nobody in his right mind should suggest that we should have no taxes at all. The federal income tax is as fair a way to take from all for the benefit of all that has been devised yet. Is it unfair in it's application? Sure, but that can be corrected and, in fact, is periodically corrected to reflect the current mood of The People. I don't have a problem with it.

What I DO object to is taxation to force a change in behavior. I don't think that's a power government ought to have.

I just sent the following message to the Republican National Committee:

Here's a demographic you can capture right now: Smokers. I'm one, and though I've voted Democrat in the past 3 elections and am not a single issue voter, I HAVE had enough of higher tobacco taxes! As you well know, the President is proposing even more tobacco taxes in his budget request and its high time the nanny-staters find some other whipping boy to pillage. Why not get out front on this tax right now and style it as an issue of fairness, which it is?

Almost 1 in 5 adult American's still smoke, which equates to a potential 40 million + voters. The GOP doesn't have to be pro-smoking to be pro-fairness and you have the opportunity right now to attract perhaps millions of votes simply by standing up for the right of smokers not be continually raped by those who claim to know what's best for them. There is little to be lost by opposing the health-Nazi's and much to be gained.

Will you?

Here's my letter to the RNC.........

Dear RNC,

You and the DNC can go fuck yourselves!

Sincerely,

KW

Mwhahahahahaha!!

You did not help create the monster? So I assume you did not vote for anyone in office that supports these taxes.

I said I'm not a single issue voter and, like all voters, have sometimes had to compromise principles for what I perceive to be a greater good simply because NO candidate, from any party, represents my ideas on every single, solitary issue.

We all have sometimes voted for candidates who hold positions we object to because they hold another position which we support. Haven't you?

The Poorer and Less Educated you are, the more likely it is that you smoke (and drink).

So increasing Taxes on Tobacco is really a tax on people who can afford it the least.

I quit smoking cold turkey 24 years ago when a carton of cigs was $3.65 at the Commissary. I can't imagine you dumb f*cks paying as much as you do now for the "slow kill".

I'm not opposed to taxes in general. We all benefit from taxation, whether it's to build the roads we use, the Army we depend upon for protection or something more personal like my VA check. Nobody in his right mind should suggest that we should have no taxes at all. The federal income tax is as fair a way to take from all for the benefit of all that has been devised yet. Is it unfair in it's application? Sure, but that can be corrected and, in fact, is periodically corrected to reflect the current mood of The People. I don't have a problem with it.

What I DO object to is taxation to force a change in behavior. I don't think that's a power government ought to have.

Income taxation, like all taxation, is forcing a change in behavior. How you can not seee that only leaves me with one conclusion. But it isn't very nice so we'll just leave it at that.

Income taxation, like all taxation, is forcing a change in behavior. How you can not seee that only leaves me with one conclusion. But it isn't very nice so we'll just leave it at that.

We belong to a society and have to contribute to that society. We have elected representatives who determine how and how much we contribute

It is part of being civilized

Forum List

Back